Start by marking “Picos y valles (Peaks and Valleys; Spanish edition: Cómo sacarle partido a los buenos y malos momentos” as Want to Read:

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,844 Ratings  ·  191 Reviews

Making Good And Bad Times Work For You -- At Work And In Life

Peaks and Valleys is a story of a young man who lives unhappily in a valley until he meets an old man who lives on a peak, and it changes his work and life forever.

Initially, the young man does not realize he is talking with one of the most peaceful and successful people in the world. However, through a seri
Published December 21st 2010 by Atria Books (first published 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about Picos y valles (Peaks and Valleys; Spanish edition

Jason Koivu
Talk about your peaks and valleys, this book is filled with them!

Self-help books are usually not my thing...and neither was Peaks and Valleys: Making Good and Bad Times Work For You - At Work and In Life blah blah blah, get a longer title why don't you?!. I gave it an extra star because it's not embarrassingly horrible or too preachy, plus there is a redeeming quality to it. It strives and mostly succeeds in making you feel like you just received a promotion with a fat raise and your mom is giv
Bill
Mar 06, 2009 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bill by: no one - I accidently found it in Costco while getting a tire re
Shelves: favorites
Peaks and Valleys is a wonderful book. A very quick read - I read it over one of my lunch hours. I have always liked Who Moved My Cheese and repeatedly had brought that book out to re-read when I am feeling a little stuck. Peaks and Valleys encourages me to look at things differently - I may get stuck in a valley occasionally, but it all depends on how I look at it. What maybe a valley, could actually be a peak - it's all in my focus. I encourage everyone to read it and can't wait to start shari ...more
Kishore Kumar
Feb 11, 2016 Kishore Kumar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book spreading the philosophy of life during bad and good times. How one should look at his/her own life when they are in trouble, when they are having a difficult time and also when they are in peaceful state of mind. Theories of how to maintain the peaceful state of mind for long time and so on. Overall I would recommend this book to everyone. The time invested in reading this small book will be very useful. Go ahead and pick up your copy.
Patti J
Good, quick read. It was enjoyable to listen to the audio book.
Alex
Nov 20, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short story but had some real golden nuggets in here, as do all his books. Can't recommend this author enough. There's a reason why he's the number one best selling author on Amazon of all time.
Abdullah Almuslem
Dec 05, 2010 Abdullah Almuslem rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I felt like a child when I read this book. The author talks to you as you are lost or you dont know what to do and he keeps repeating the same stuff again and again. The book was boring and very short and did not add anything to my knowledge except for things I knew before but It just reminded me of it. It is a book for someone who had not much experience in life and dont know how to deal with problems. Most of the information included in the book are common sense and you dont need to know it at ...more
Summer H. Sokkary
what an amazing book...in the beginning i thought it was a fiction and it doesn't speak reality.
but now, after i finished, i know how to use my moments very well...especially i am a very moody person.
Ananda
I really liked this book! The author DOES follow a pattern and his story IS very predictable, yet (at least to me) it was an inspiring read.
As the very title says, the story speaks of one's up's and down's in life..failures and successes (peaks and valleys), and about the "art" of achieving equilibrium in life. One of the basic characteristics of life is RHYTHM. This principle says, that even if we are in the valley today, we may reach the peak one day, only if we are willing to work on ourselve
Gene Babon
Oct 18, 2009 Gene Babon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: strategy
This book can be read in one sitting -- and that would be a mistake. My first read through I rated the book three stars. I gave the book a second chance by rereading it in fifteen minute increments, first thing in the morning. Then, I upgraded my rating.

Sometimes simple is better. This book provides a simple approach to keeping your head on straight. Perhaps individual personality can't be changed, but outlook on life can be altered. The secret lies in learning to take advantage of bad times.

We
MsSmartiePants ...like the candy...
A new book which took author Spencer Johnson over 20 years to write, just like his previous bestseller, Who Moved My Cheese.

This is another parable which happens to speak to our current economic state, as well as life in general. It was not a plan to release this book during this time of upheaval in America, it just turned out that way.

I've come to believe that everyone is going through something major just about everyday of their life. Certainly with what's happening in our culture, economy an
Qhistina Ma
Habis sempena Maal Hijrah..

So, esok baru aku kena berhijrah dalam kerja. Hehehe..

P/s : Who moved my cheese? lebih menarik.
Dr Joy Madden
Apr 11, 2016 Dr Joy Madden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

‘Peaks and Valleys : Making Good And Bad Times Work For You - At Work And In Life’ is a book that could be described as self development advice in a story within a story. It was written by Spencer Johnson, M.D., author of the bestseller ‘Who Moved My Cheese’.

It is a short book and easy to read. As such, some may consider it to be a simplistic self help book. However, if you truly contemplate the essence of it - a wonderful story within a story and one that you can keep passing from one person to
Kay Carman
Feb 23, 2016 Kay Carman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: success
This self-help book by the author of Who Moved My Cheese started out a little corny, and pretty much stayed that way, but I was still able to extract some words of wisdom. Told in the form of a parable, the book sets forth these truths:

It is natural for everyone everywhere to have peaks and valleys at work and in life.

Peaks and valleys are not just the good and bad times that happen to you. They're also how you feel inside and respond to outside events.

Peaks and valleys are connected. The errors
Olivia
Jan 30, 2016 Olivia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Valleys are for learning about life, whilst peaks are for celebrating live.
iffa septiyani
Mar 26, 2016 iffa septiyani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
seperti detak jantung begitulah asumsi lembah dan pundak dalam buku ini...dalam menjalani kehidupan kita pasti akan selalu ada naik turunnya etapi justru karena itulah kita hidup....bagaimana kita menyikapi perubahan itulah yang penting dan menyadari keberadaan kita.tidak bersedih hati ketika ada di lembah tapi juga tidak senang terlalu berlebihan ketika di puncak...karena bagaimanapun naik turunnya kehidupan saling berhubungan dengan begitu kita akan menyadari keindahan di dalamnya dan menemuka ...more
Maliza Mukungu
This is the first book I ever listened to of Spencer Johnson and I thought the most profound thing I took away from it and I still apply in my life is that I can make a decision on how long I stay in a valley and how long I stay on a mountain. Added to that the idea of I am in the valley because of the bad decisions I made on a mountain and I am on a mountain because of the good decisions I am in the valley but ultimately in life we, as people, are going to have mountains and valleys. This was m ...more
Mark Brewer
May 02, 2016 Mark Brewer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rated this book four stars for the following reasons;

It is instantly applicable for anyone, at any stage in their life. It talks about a range of standpoints can be looked at positively to fuel success quicker, for longer and more frequently.

Anyone can apply these philosophies and principles to change their attitude toward different situations they might find themselves in.

It was a very simple read and the author had articulated it in a clear story format which is easy enough for anyone to un
Loy Machedo
When Spencer Johnson came out with his bestseller, Who Moved My Cheese? it became an instant household name. Almost everyone I knew was talking about it, speaking about, giving seminars, speeches and even incorporating the principles in their presentations. There were even cartoonish images, stickers and posters being used and shared by people.

Then after nearly a decade, the master story teller came out with another parable - Peaks and Valleys. So what is this book all about? Easy – a simple sto
Anthony Tenaglier
Every one of these books I read by Spencer Johnson is simple and practical the first time through. They are outlines to being successful, loving, and providing service to others. I study them and reread them all the time to remember the basics. This will be another one I add to my collection as life is full of ups and downs. This book provides the skeletal structure and tools necessary to "get out of a valley sooner, stay on a peak longer, and be on more peaks and fewer valleys in the future".
Kate
Mar 05, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peaks and Valleys: Making Good and Bad Times Work For You--At Work and In Life is an exceptional book! Johnson uses clever parables to help readers learn how to thrive in difficult work settings. Johnson's books are great for those looking for more insight, assistance with coping more effectively, or seeking a new perspective during adverse times. The book is easy-to-read, well-written, and short enough for those who struggle with time constraints.
Estelle
Aug 05, 2014 Estelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short and simple book. The simplistic nature of the advice and the kinda corny metaphor could be off-putting. but the heart of the message is very effective and worthy of close attention. I really connected with the idea that "hard times will either make you bitter or better". I've lived enough now to meet some of those bitter people. I don't want to be one of them. I found a lot of little gems in this easy,short read.
Kelly
Jul 07, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick, simple read that can make a big impact on how we view decisions. It very widely presents problems that practically everyone will experience and presents a way or skill that can help address the problem.

This is not a 'do this' or 'do that' type of book, but more of a 'hey, it is not the ups and downs, but how we use them to move forward that matters'

Just read it
Pulkit Malik
Jun 24, 2015 Pulkit Malik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an avid book reader or not, this book is gonna leave a huge impact on you. it's not preachy/totally philosophical like other self help books. all the situations given in this book are totally relatable and the solutions are quite plausible. I'd like to implement the peaks and valleys approach in my life as far as I can. A must read if you seek inspiration in a very short span of time
Yuki Kodama
Sep 29, 2013 Yuki Kodama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book 70 minutes in this week.
7 words summary: Peak, Valley, Good, Vision, Share, Gratefull, Happy
Discussion Question.
Q. Are you happy now? What are you gratefull for now?
A. I am happy now. I always say in my mind "happy, happy, happy."
I think that appreciating for something is very important.
I am appreciate for weather, mother who cooks breakfast and dinner every day.
Also, I am gratefull for the bath time. I want to have a habit of appreciating something.

This book was a helpf
Liwin Tjoa
Spencer Johnson's latest modern day parable "Peaks and Valleys" doesn't quite have the same hard hitting impact that "Who Moved My Cheese?" may have had but nonetheless it makes for a fast and inspiring read for those in need of a motivational boost.

As in most of Johnson's works the message is quite simple - During the high points of your life (the peaks) don't let your guard down and prepare for the worst so that when you do hit the low points (the valleys) you can weather the storm and ride it
Katie
Dec 03, 2015 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Laura Dreiling
Quick read that really makes you think. I was recommended this book because I was going through a tough valley at work. My mentor recommended that I read it and take perspective before I make any hasty decisions. It took me about 2 hours to read and digest the story. I really did gain a new perspective on my situation and I have a clear path now.
Evan
Apr 12, 2015 Evan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Similar to his other books, this is simplistic; however, being reminded that to look for the good in something bad will shorten the time things feel terrible or having the power to know that you are the one who can decide to shorten valleys and lengthen peaks is worthy of the time it takes to read through the book. So much of our unhappiness comes from our inability to overcome ourselves.
Mazeli Dee
I've read a lot of self-help books before, and I'd say I enjoy them. But this one? I'd like to say I learned something but sadly, no. I tried. The writing is coated in a lot of vague symbolism that I got tired trying to decipher everything. A hundred pages saying exactly the same thing it's been saying since you flipped open the book. I guess I'm not a big fan of Spencer Johnson. He's nothing like Jack Canfield or Zig Ziglar.
Chad
Jun 03, 2011 Chad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone familiar with "Who Moved My Cheese" will instantly see the same style of communicating life truths that can have real applications in life in a way that pretty much anyone can understand and appreciate. I think that this book has extra relevance for many right now as many people are actively experiencing a 'valley' and this book may be a great way to not only deal with navigating the 'valley' but getting the most out of it in preparation to make the trip up to the 'peak' and stay there lo ...more
Moemen Ahmed
A quick read in a format of a story. It is pretty straight forward in demonstrating the idea of the book. It is that kind of books that can be shorten into one paragraph, however I believe that the story telling can help many people to absorb and remember the idea better.
I am enjoying this book 1 23 Apr 12, 2009 10:35AM
  • The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work
  • LIFE
  • Whale Done!: The Power of Positive Relationships
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • Voyage of a Viking
  • The Myth of Multitasking: How "Doing It All" Gets Nothing Done
  • The Difference Maker: Making Your Attitude Your Greatest Asset
  • Fish! Sticks: A Remarkable Way to Adapt to Changing Times and Keep Your Work Fresh
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Toughen Up!
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • The Compassionate Samurai: Being Extraordinary in an Ordinary World
Spencer Johnson, M.D., is the author of several New York Times bestsellers, including The One Minute Manager, all in the entertaining style of a parable that contains useful information readers can use in their own lives. There are more than thirteen million copies of his books in print in over twenty-five languages.

Dr. Johnson's education includes a psychology degree from the University of Southe
More about Spencer Johnson...

“Missing.” 1 likes
“some preliminary conversation, he said, “You look like you’re in a good place, despite the bad times I understand you’ve been through.” 0 likes