Start by marking “Year's Best SF 8” as Want to Read:
Year's Best SF 8

Year's Best SF 8 (Year's Best SF #8)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  98 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Brave New Worlds To Explore and ConquerThe astonishingly possible is once again showcased in a breathtaking volume of the best short form SF the past year had to offer. Contributed by some of the most revered and exciting voices in the genre -- and compiled by acclaimed editor and anthologist David G. Hartwell -- these stories of wonder and terror, astounding technologies ...more
Published May 27th 2003 by Voyager (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Year's Best SF 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year's Best SF 8

Michael Fierce
Dec 08, 2015 Michael Fierce rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of SF
Recommended to Michael Fierce by: CV Librarian
description

I admit, I only read 4 of the 23 short stories within.

However, I thought the 4 I read were fantastic!

The first 2, Snow in the Desert, and The Lost Sorceress of the Silent Citadel, were Planetary Romances (akin to Space Opera), set on Mars ~ descendants of Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter series of books.

description
Both are noticeably influenced and inspired by Leigh Brackett and her wonderful Eric John Stark novels.

description

Snow in the Desert, by Neal Asher, is a really cool story that tips its hat to Michael Moo
Dogg
Aug 30, 2010 Dogg rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for variety in science writing these are extremely good. I liked the short biography before each story, so that if the author's style appeals to you, then you can look up their other books or collections. I definitely liked "Lost Sorceress of the Silent Citadel" by Micheal Moorcock, but I think my favorite was "Snow in the Desert" by Neal Asher. I think the next time I am in a used book store I will check out some of his other work.
Kathryn
David G. Hartwell edited "The World Treasury of Science Fiction", so in my mind the man can do no wrong. That said, this is the third in the "Year's Best SF" series that I've read, and I've yet to be really bowled over by any of them.

Not a BAD collection by any means. A.M. Dellamonica's story "A Slow Day at the Gallery" built up very smoothly from a tourist outing in an alien city to something unsettling. I think Paul Di Filippo's story "Ailoura" could have used a little more editing, but I love
Nicholas Whyte
Jan 06, 2010 Nicholas Whyte rated it liked it
This is Hartwell's selection of the best stories of 2002: of his 23 choices, I think I count precisely one which made it to the Nebula shortlist, and two which were Hugo nominees (one of which, Michael Swanwick's "Slow Life", won). That year's double winner was Neil Gaiman's Coraline, which I guess is excluded from Hartwell's collection as fantasy rather than science fiction.

I liked very much almost all of Hartwell's selection. The one that really got under my skin was A.M. Dellamonica's "A Slo
Eduardo
Jun 16, 2016 Eduardo rated it it was ok
I have read other compilations by D. G. Hartwell but I must say this is one of the weakest ones.
I found here no "astonishingly ... breathtaking" short story. I found no "exciting voice." No story here is a "dazzling gem." There are no jewels in this collection, just mostly moribund OK stones.
Sven
Dec 13, 2015 Sven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Some interesting short stories. Worth reading for fun.
Eli
Apr 22, 2011 Eli rated it really liked it
Hard to grade a collection of stories by different authors without grading each story individually. I am not going to do that. But I did enjoy most of the stories quite a bit. I like that SF stories tend to cover the idea and leave out a lot of the character development (where many SF writers are less than stellar).
Joseph
"The Seasons of the Ansarac" Le Guin,
"Ailorura"/Di Fillipo,
"Grandma"/C Emshwiller,
"Afterlife"/ Jack Williamson
"Patent Infringement"/ Nancy Kress.
David Nichols
Oct 24, 2015 David Nichols rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, sci-fi
Includes Geoffrey Landis's causality drama "At Dorado" and Charles Stross's excellent story "Halo," part of the future history later anthologized in ACCELERANDO.
Rift Vegan
Sep 04, 2010 Rift Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this series. The best stories in this book are, "Knapsack Poems" by Eleanore Arnason and "The Seasons of the Ansarac" by Ursula K. LeGuin.
bluetyson
Year's Best SF 8 by David G. Hartwell (2003)
Mark Catalfano
Mark Catalfano marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Natalie Matos
Natalie Matos marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Erin Robichaud
Erin Robichaud rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Maggie Rotter
Maggie Rotter marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Ian Benjamin
Ian Benjamin marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Noog
Noog marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Octavian Udrea
Octavian Udrea rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Todd Tonkel
Todd Tonkel marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
James Aaron
James Aaron marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
What's The Name o...: SciFi Short Story / Wormhole, Time Travel, Shipwreck [s] 8 166 Jan 11, 2013 05:23PM
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • The New Space Opera
  • Best New Horror 11 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #11)
  • The Best of Poul Anderson
  • Solaris Rising: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction
  • War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches
  • Dangerous Visions 2
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Three
  • Futures from Nature
David Geddes Hartwell was an American editor of science fiction and fantasy. He worked for Signet (1971-1973), Berkley Putnam (1973-1978), Pocket (where he founded the Timescape imprint, 1978-1983, and created the Pocket Books Star Trek publishing line), and Tor (where he spearheaded Tor's Canadian publishing initiative, and was also influential in bringing many Australian writers to the US market ...more
More about David G. Hartwell...

Year's Best SF (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Year's Best SF
  • Year's Best SF 6
  • Year's Best SF 7
  • Year's Best SF 9
  • Year's Best SF 10
  • Year's Best SF 11 (Year's Best SF (Science Fiction))