Start by marking “Year's Best SF 8” as Want to Read:
Year's Best SF 8

Year's Best SF 8 (Year's Best SF #8)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Brave New Worlds To Explore and ConquerThe astonishingly possible is once again showcased in a breathtaking volume of the best short form SF the past year had to offer. Contributed by some of the most revered and exciting voices in the genre -- and compiled by acclaimed editor and anthologist David G. Hartwell -- these stories of wonder and terror, astounding technologies ...more
Published May 27th 2003 by Voyager (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Year's Best SF 8, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year's Best SF 8

Gandalf the Red
Jan 12, 2014 Gandalf the Red rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of SF
Recommended to Gandalf the Red by: CV Librarian
description

I admit, I only read 4 of the 23 short stories within.

However, I thought the 4 I read were fantastic!

The first 2, Snow in the Desert, and The Lost Sorceress of the Silent Citadel, were Planetary Romances (akin to Space Opera), set on Mars ~ descendants of Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter series of books.

description
Both are noticeably influenced and inspired by Leigh Brackett and her wonderful Eric John Stark novels.

description

Snow in the Desert, by Neal Asher, is a really cool story that tips its hat to Michael Moo
Dogg
If you are looking for variety in science writing these are extremely good. I liked the short biography before each story, so that if the author's style appeals to you, then you can look up their other books or collections. I definitely liked "Lost Sorceress of the Silent Citadel" by Micheal Moorcock, but I think my favorite was "Snow in the Desert" by Neal Asher. I think the next time I am in a used book store I will check out some of his other work.
Kathryn
David G. Hartwell edited "The World Treasury of Science Fiction", so in my mind the man can do no wrong. That said, this is the third in the "Year's Best SF" series that I've read, and I've yet to be really bowled over by any of them.

Not a BAD collection by any means. A.M. Dellamonica's story "A Slow Day at the Gallery" built up very smoothly from a tourist outing in an alien city to something unsettling. I think Paul Di Filippo's story "Ailoura" could have used a little more editing, but I love
Nicholas Whyte
This is Hartwell's selection of the best stories of 2002: of his 23 choices, I think I count precisely one which made it to the Nebula shortlist, and two which were Hugo nominees (one of which, Michael Swanwick's "Slow Life", won). That year's double winner was Neil Gaiman's Coraline, which I guess is excluded from Hartwell's collection as fantasy rather than science fiction.

I liked very much almost all of Hartwell's selection. The one that really got under my skin was A.M. Dellamonica's "A Slo
Eli
Hard to grade a collection of stories by different authors without grading each story individually. I am not going to do that. But I did enjoy most of the stories quite a bit. I like that SF stories tend to cover the idea and leave out a lot of the character development (where many SF writers are less than stellar).
David Nichols
Includes Geoffrey Landis's causality drama "At Dorado" and Charles Stross's excellent story "Halo," part of the future history later anthologized in ACCELERANDO.
Rift Vegan
I enjoy this series. The best stories in this book are, "Knapsack Poems" by Eleanore Arnason and "The Seasons of the Ansarac" by Ursula K. LeGuin.
bluetyson
Year's Best SF 8 by David G. Hartwell (2003)
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Zdravko Šašek
Zdravko Šašek marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
James Stegall
James Stegall marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Haystack
Haystack marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Eero Piilokivi
Eero Piilokivi marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
James Kubecki
James Kubecki marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Laurel
Laurel added it
Nov 29, 2014
Jo Walton
Jo Walton marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Jeff
Jeff added it
Oct 22, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Kris
Kris added it
Oct 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
What's The Name o...: SciFi Short Story / Wormhole, Time Travel, Shipwreck [s] 8 165 Jan 11, 2013 05:23PM
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Fourteenth Annual Collection
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror 22
  • War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Two
  • Dangerous Visions 2
David Geddes Hartwell (b. July 10, 1941) is an American editor of science fiction and fantasy. He has worked for Signet (1971-1973), Berkley Putnam (1973-1978), Pocket (where he founded the Timescape imprint, 1978-1983, and created the Pocket Books Star Trek publishing line), and Tor (where he spearheaded Tor's Canadian publishing initiative, and was also influential in bringing many Australian wr ...more
More about David G. Hartwell...

Year's Best SF (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Year's Best SF
  • Year's Best SF 6
  • Year's Best SF 7
  • Year's Best SF 9
  • Year's Best SF 10
  • Year's Best SF 11 (Year's Best SF (Science Fiction))
The Dark Descent (Collection) The Hard SF Renaissance The World Treasury of Science Fiction Year's Best SF 14 Year's Best SF 15