Start by marking “Casanova: Gula (Casanova, #2)” as Want to Read:
Casanova: Gula (Casanova, #2)

Casanova: Gula (Casanova #2)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  589 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Casanova Quinn is a secret secret agent, and a pawn in a game of espionage-chess played by his father Cornelius and the forces of E.M.P.I.R.E. against alllll the bad guys in the whole wide world. When a mission goes haywire and Casanova disappears, all hell breaks loose across the span of the space-time continuum itself. As archrival Newman Xeno conspires to break both the ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 136 pages
Published July 27th 2011 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Casanova, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Casanova

Patrick
Feb 13, 2014 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Note, this review will make more sense in context of my review of the first volume of the Casanova series.

This story was either more straightforward than the first, or handled in a more straightforward way. As a result, I enjoyed it even more, and had the opportunity to settle into the world a bit and get comfortable.
Andrew
Nov 24, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, image
Volume 2 adds a few layers of emotional and moral complexity to the hipster-cool vibe and hyperactive violence of Volume 1. It's sometimes an awkward fit, and not all of the emotional moments land the way they should, but it's great to see a comic grow while still retaining what made it unique and fun in the first place.
Artemiy Nizovtsev
Jun 23, 2015 Artemiy Nizovtsev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, image-comics
So, this was much better than Volume 1. Casanova: Luxuria was an extremely confusing, disjointed and almost unfollowable, albeit, still kinda enjoyable, clusterfuck of a story (well, I'm sorry, I'm gonna re-read it someday to make sure). In Gula, the story kind of pulls itself together, without loosing much of the first book's craziness and sexiness and plot-twists. It gets serious and emotional at times, too, in a typical Fraction fashion.
Artwork by Fábio Moon is a nice change also. Not to say
Eric England
Casanova: Gula is a vibrant and original work of sequential art (another term for comic book storytelling). Matt Fraction and Fabio Moon give their full attention and unfiltered creativity to this series and it shows in every panel. However, this means that the story often falls prey to the same flaws as the previous volume of Casanova. Moments of pure genius are followed by utter inane silliness and needless shock value. The story and its meanings are often obscure to the reader and the big twi ...more
Stewart Tame
My lukewarm reaction to this book bothers me a little. It's fun and readable and a loving tribute to the 60's super spy era. There's a little James Bond and Barbarella and Modesty Blaise and who knows what else in the mix. The art is stellar. I just wish I was more into it. From the various essays at the back, Matt Fraction seems have loved writing it much more than I enjoyed reading it. I like it fine; I just don't love it more than sliced bread or whatever. Honestly, the essays at the back are ...more
Mike
So much fun. Toppogrosso's Secret Cinema is brutal, sly, chilling stuff. Fraction's way with adjectives is superb: "Now he whore his genius out to the highest blood-spattered bidder." Moon conveys emotional layers in a pair of panels that some would take pages to get across.
Tj Mcdonald
Nov 11, 2013 Tj Mcdonald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review of Casanova Vol 1 mentioned that the beginning was convoluted, but once the exposition was out of the way, the book got better. This was almost the complete opposite! Everything was great until the last issue, where the plot went haywire and once again become convoluted.

It was still WAY easier to follow than Volume 1, and the art by Fabio Moon was fabulous.

It may just be the art by Ba and Moon, but I feel like this book is a spiritual cousin to Gerard Way's Umbrella Academy. And, jus
Helmut
Feb 24, 2013 Helmut rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Über die Schwierigkeit, einen Hit zu toppen

Der erste Band der Reihe, "Luxuria", war ein komplexes, völlig verwirrendes Spiel mit Zeitebenen und verrückten Personen. "Gula" führt zwar die Storyline (soweit man davon reden kann) weiter, ist aber deutlich linearer und weniger hirnverschwurbelnd als der erste Teil. Leider geht damit auch etwas von der Atmosphäre, die "Luxuria" so einmalig macht, verloren. Dazu ein neuer Zeichner: Fabio Moon orientiert sich zwar am ersten Band, doch gerade der holzsc
Pturingan
Jun 19, 2012 Pturingan rated it really liked it
Wild, trippy, sci-fi, spy (spy-fi?) comic fun! I can't decide if I prefer Fabio Moon's art over his twin brother's- let's just say that both are great.

This is a terrific series that defies description. I read recently that the 4th issue of the current mini-series (titled Avaritia, I think) is already out so I'm hoping that the new collection will be out soon as well.

Very minor, nitpicky complaint: For a series with such great interior art, I'm surprised at how bland and boring the collection cov
Paul Allard
Strange comic book collection about time travel

A scifi espionage story featuring highly-sexed characters including the title character Casanova Quinn, his sister, Zephyr Quinn and many others.

It seems to be tongue-in-cheek with lots of sex and violence. The main character gets lost in time for a good part of the story but all the other characters are involved in their own plots – in many senses of the word.

I found this collection quite hard to read – in the digital edition. The writing was quite
Tricia
Aug 17, 2015 Tricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if I can really express how happy it makes me to read such a complicated and smart graphic novel series.

I still have the 3rd volume to read but I'm glad they're currently working on the 4th after a few year hiatus so that I don't have to be sad to be done & wonder if they'll continue.
Brandon Forsyth
Aug 29, 2014 Brandon Forsyth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CASANOVA is like a sci-fi-spy-thriller-alternate-timeline-double-crossing-multiple-personality milkshake, and you're in the blender! Surrender to the awesomeness and drink ... yourself! Sometimes confusing, never boring, and always fun. Can't wait to read the third volume...and then go back to re-read everything and see if I can make sense of it all. :)
Ben
Dec 10, 2008 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed to see Gabriel Ba go at first, but by the end I was just as in love, if not more so, with Fabio Moon's art. In fact, the two of those guys are probably the only artists in comics right now whose work I get really excited about - cause when we get down to it I'm a story first kind of guy. It helps then that the story in this one is deeper and more focused than in the first. Really what sold me on Fabio Moon ultimately is that his art is somewhat more sensuous than Ba's and this ...more
Bob Fantastic
This was good and strange with excellent art but also difficult to follow. I kept feeling like I missed something and kept going back and looking. I understand the goals was to keep it sharp and fast paced but perhaps a touch more basic exposition would've cleared the plot up a little at the beginning. That said, the book is great and this volume is beautiful. It's just that I have read much stronger from both author and artist.
Chad
Dec 15, 2014 Chad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better than V1 in every way. Still crazy, still a fast ride, but more approachable and an easier story to follow.
Matt
May 31, 2008 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cool people everywhere!!
Recommended to Matt by: Jesus, Elvis, the Buddha, John Lennon, Albert Einstein, and Kerm
Sweet jumpin' goddammit, this book is good. Everything that worked in the first volume is thrown out the window to slow down for a thoughtful, character-driven ensemble book that kept me coming back to each issue over and over again until the next one arrived. It's a little scary to think that a writer as young as Fraction is in the throes of his masterpiece, but this sucker is gonna be seven volumes, so he'll make great time on it.
Shaun
Aug 14, 2011 Shaun rated it liked it
This was a 'good enough' tying off of loose ends to volume 1 of Cassanova. But, I feel like it was really far too coherent and straight-forward a tale to really stand up to the manic confusing mess that made the first volume so much fun. The story seemed to flow logically from point A to B to C instead of illogically from D to Z to A the way the previous volume did. And I feel a lot of the fun left with the incoherence.
William Thomas
Aug 17, 2011 William Thomas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Fear Agent, Matt Fraction's bizarro take on James Bond starring in The Maltese Falcon if written by Charles Stross, this book just doesn't measure up. Fabio Moon's art, although beautifully colored, is a serious distraction. And as I've said before, the art and story have to work in harmony. Otherwise, it comes off like a disjointed mess. And that's really what this book is.
Sonic
Sep 24, 2011 Sonic rated it really liked it
Possibly even better writing in this second book, and Switching from Ba' (the artist in book 1) to Moon (his (twin?) brother) as artist is brilliant.
I cannot say which brother's art I prefer, they both did awesome
psychedelic
work!
Fraction is great at build-ups AND at resolutions!
Fun and funny in an Austin Powers or Casino Royale (the First movie) kinda way.
Mike Jozic
Oct 01, 2013 Mike Jozic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So rare these days to have something this crazy, sexy, cool in any medium. Casanova is possibly my favourite of Fractions creations and works and having the inimitable messrs. Moon and Ba a part of the whole thing just makes it that much better. Very excited to hit volume III, Avaritia, but also a little saddened that it will be the last.
Peter
Nov 02, 2014 Peter rated it liked it
Ultimately, they twists, turns, alternate universe change-overs, time-travel, and out of order method of storytelling hurts the overall product. I love the ideas, but the execution is rushed and convoluted.

If I can get a hold of the third volume, I will read it.
Mabomanji
Nov 15, 2015 Mabomanji rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bd-comics
I definitely prefer Gabriel Ba's drawings but it's the story that threw me off this time. It's simpler and more straightforward and we lose the craziness and drive of the main character's attempt at dealing with his change of world. Not sure i will read next volume.
Aaron
Jul 25, 2011 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just as wild as the first volume, Gula continues Fraction's entertaining take on time travel and science fiction insanity. It's extremely quirky, but it never strays too far into the bizarre. The ending is a bit hard to understand, but still oddly satisfying. Pure fun.
Francois Arsenault
Aug 10, 2011 Francois Arsenault rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
We loose Gabriel Bà in favour of Fabio Moon but none of the energy of the first volume. Just as gorgeous as it used to be but the plotlines are actually a bit easier to follow which makes for a much more enjoyable read. Comic book spy insanity at it's finest.
Christian
May 25, 2013 Christian rated it it was amazing
It's Michael Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius meets SHIELD, with random Mountain Goats lyrics in the dialogue. Matt Fraction is my twin from another universe, and Cassanova is awesome.
Jacob
Sep 23, 2011 Jacob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this colorized collected edition for the first time, just as mindbend-ing-ly plotted as the other book, which I've read twice and still don't think I grasped it all.
Todd Johnson
Better than volume 1, but still not great for me. I can appreciate his different approach to telling a comic story, I just think the execution is a little loose.
Dru
Aug 24, 2011 Dru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-graphic-novel
Excellent. The recoloring drastically changes the look of the book, and I sort of wish I could purchase a collected copy of the original version.
Robert
Mar 11, 2015 Robert rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
This one really went off the rails for me. It was more confusing than amusing.
Josh
Jan 06, 2013 Josh rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I did a little better with this one. And will probably keep reading.
  • Pax Romana
  • Aetheric Mechanics
  • King City
  • Phonogram, Vol. 2: The Singles Club (Phonogram, #2)
  • B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 1 (B.P.R.D., #1-3)
  • Immortal Iron Fist Omnibus
  • MIND MGMT, Vol. 2: The Futurist
  • The Private Eye, Volume One
  • Marvel Boy
  • Queen and Country, Vol. 5: Operation Stormfront
  • 100 Bullets: Brother Lono
"How he got started in comics: In 1983, when Fraction was 7 years old and growing up in Kansas City, Mo., he became fascinated by the U.S. invasion of Grenada and created his own newspaper to explain the event. "I've always been story-driven, telling stories with pictures and words," he said.

Education and first job: Fraction never graduated from college. He stopped half a semester short of an art
More about Matt Fraction...

Casanova (4 books)