Start by marking “Casanova: Gula (Casanova, #2)” as Want to Read:
Casanova: Gula (Casanova, #2)

Casanova: Gula (Casanova #2)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  421 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Casanova Quinn is a secret secret agent, and a pawn in a game of espionage-chess played by his father Cornelius and the forces of E.M.P.I.R.E. against alllll the bad guys in the whole wide world. When a mission goes haywire and Casanova disappears, all hell breaks loose across the span of the space-time continuum itself. As archrival Newman Xeno conspires to break both the ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 136 pages
Published July 27th 2011 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Casanova, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Casanova

Patrick
(Note, this review will make more sense in context of my review of the first volume of the Casanova series.

This story was either more straightforward than the first, or handled in a more straightforward way. As a result, I enjoyed it even more, and had the opportunity to settle into the world a bit and get comfortable.
Sonic
Possibly even better writing in this second book, and Switching from Ba' (the artist in book 1) to Moon (his (twin?) brother) as artist is brilliant.
I cannot say which brother's art I prefer, they both did awesome
psychedelic
work!
Fraction is great at build-ups AND at resolutions!
Fun and funny in an Austin Powers or Casino Royale (the First movie) kinda way.
Tj Mcdonald
My review of Casanova Vol 1 mentioned that the beginning was convoluted, but once the exposition was out of the way, the book got better. This was almost the complete opposite! Everything was great until the last issue, where the plot went haywire and once again become convoluted.

It was still WAY easier to follow than Volume 1, and the art by Fabio Moon was fabulous.

It may just be the art by Ba and Moon, but I feel like this book is a spiritual cousin to Gerard Way's Umbrella Academy. And, jus
Helmut
Über die Schwierigkeit, einen Hit zu toppen

Der erste Band der Reihe, "Luxuria", war ein komplexes, völlig verwirrendes Spiel mit Zeitebenen und verrückten Personen. "Gula" führt zwar die Storyline (soweit man davon reden kann) weiter, ist aber deutlich linearer und weniger hirnverschwurbelnd als der erste Teil. Leider geht damit auch etwas von der Atmosphäre, die "Luxuria" so einmalig macht, verloren. Dazu ein neuer Zeichner: Fabio Moon orientiert sich zwar am ersten Band, doch gerade der holzsc
Pturingan
Wild, trippy, sci-fi, spy (spy-fi?) comic fun! I can't decide if I prefer Fabio Moon's art over his twin brother's- let's just say that both are great.

This is a terrific series that defies description. I read recently that the 4th issue of the current mini-series (titled Avaritia, I think) is already out so I'm hoping that the new collection will be out soon as well.

Very minor, nitpicky complaint: For a series with such great interior art, I'm surprised at how bland and boring the collection cov
Brandon Forsyth
CASANOVA is like a sci-fi-spy-thriller-alternate-timeline-double-crossing-multiple-personality milkshake, and you're in the blender! Surrender to the awesomeness and drink ... yourself! Sometimes confusing, never boring, and always fun. Can't wait to read the third volume...and then go back to re-read everything and see if I can make sense of it all. :)
Ben
I was disappointed to see Gabriel Ba go at first, but by the end I was just as in love, if not more so, with Fabio Moon's art. In fact, the two of those guys are probably the only artists in comics right now whose work I get really excited about - cause when we get down to it I'm a story first kind of guy. It helps then that the story in this one is deeper and more focused than in the first. Really what sold me on Fabio Moon ultimately is that his art is somewhat more sensuous than Ba's and this ...more
Chad
Better than V1 in every way. Still crazy, still a fast ride, but more approachable and an easier story to follow.
Matt
May 31, 2008 Matt rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cool people everywhere!!
Recommended to Matt by: Jesus, Elvis, the Buddha, John Lennon, Albert Einstein, and Kerm
Sweet jumpin' goddammit, this book is good. Everything that worked in the first volume is thrown out the window to slow down for a thoughtful, character-driven ensemble book that kept me coming back to each issue over and over again until the next one arrived. It's a little scary to think that a writer as young as Fraction is in the throes of his masterpiece, but this sucker is gonna be seven volumes, so he'll make great time on it.
Shaun
This was a 'good enough' tying off of loose ends to volume 1 of Cassanova. But, I feel like it was really far too coherent and straight-forward a tale to really stand up to the manic confusing mess that made the first volume so much fun. The story seemed to flow logically from point A to B to C instead of illogically from D to Z to A the way the previous volume did. And I feel a lot of the fun left with the incoherence.
William Thomas
After reading Fear Agent, Matt Fraction's bizarro take on James Bond starring in The Maltese Falcon if written by Charles Stross, this book just doesn't measure up. Fabio Moon's art, although beautifully colored, is a serious distraction. And as I've said before, the art and story have to work in harmony. Otherwise, it comes off like a disjointed mess. And that's really what this book is.
Mike Jozic
So rare these days to have something this crazy, sexy, cool in any medium. Casanova is possibly my favourite of Fractions creations and works and having the inimitable messrs. Moon and Ba a part of the whole thing just makes it that much better. Very excited to hit volume III, Avaritia, but also a little saddened that it will be the last.
Peter
Ultimately, they twists, turns, alternate universe change-overs, time-travel, and out of order method of storytelling hurts the overall product. I love the ideas, but the execution is rushed and convoluted.

If I can get a hold of the third volume, I will read it.
Mike
Apr 14, 2013 Mike is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
So much fun. Toppogrosso's Secret Cinema is brutal, sly, chilling stuff. Fraction's way with adjectives is superb: "Now he whore his genius out to the highest blood-spattered bidder." Moon conveys emotional layers in a pair of panels that some would take pages to get across.
Aaron
Just as wild as the first volume, Gula continues Fraction's entertaining take on time travel and science fiction insanity. It's extremely quirky, but it never strays too far into the bizarre. The ending is a bit hard to understand, but still oddly satisfying. Pure fun.
Francois Arsenault
We loose Gabriel Bà in favour of Fabio Moon but none of the energy of the first volume. Just as gorgeous as it used to be but the plotlines are actually a bit easier to follow which makes for a much more enjoyable read. Comic book spy insanity at it's finest.
Christian
It's Michael Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius meets SHIELD, with random Mountain Goats lyrics in the dialogue. Matt Fraction is my twin from another universe, and Cassanova is awesome.
Jacob
Read this colorized collected edition for the first time, just as mindbend-ing-ly plotted as the other book, which I've read twice and still don't think I grasped it all.
Todd Johnson
Better than volume 1, but still not great for me. I can appreciate his different approach to telling a comic story, I just think the execution is a little loose.
Bluestockingirl
Haven't read the first book, but maybe it explains in that one that Cassanova is made to look like that old lech from the Stones. lol =P
Wonderfully weird!
Dru
Excellent. The recoloring drastically changes the look of the book, and I sort of wish I could purchase a collected copy of the original version.
Josh
Jan 06, 2013 Josh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
I did a little better with this one. And will probably keep reading.
Craig
The best and saddest, most tragic love story ever told in comics...
Oliver Hodson
The art and coloring is phenomenal- such a great story teller
keri.
identity and timeline shenanigans a-go-go!
Radu
So much trouble for what?
Daniel
  • King City
  • Aetheric Mechanics
  • Sleeper: Season One
  • Zero, Vol. 1 An Emergency
  • Phonogram, Volume 2: The Singles Club (Phonogram, #2)
  • Who is Jake Ellis? (...Jake Ellis?, #1)
  • Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery
  • Prison Pit, Vol. 1
  • Mind MGMT, Vol. 3: The Home Maker
  • Adventures of Luther Arkwright  (2nd ed.)
  • Finder Library Volume 1
"How he got started in comics: In 1983, when Fraction was 7 years old and growing up in Kansas City, Mo., he became fascinated by the U.S. invasion of Grenada and created his own newspaper to explain the event. "I've always been story-driven, telling stories with pictures and words," he said.

Education and first job: Fraction never graduated from college. He stopped half a semester short of an art
More about Matt Fraction...
Hawkeye, Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon Hawkeye, Vol. 2: Little Hits Sex Criminals, Vol. 1: One Weird Trick Sex Criminals #1: Suzie Down in the Quiet The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 1: The Five Nightmares