Start by marking “The Hooded Hawke (Elizabeth I Mysteries, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Hooded Hawke (Elizabeth I Mysteries, #9)

The Hooded Hawke (Elizabeth I #9)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  11 reviews
This summer, Queen Elizabeth I is in no mood for games. She and her court were expecting to spend the warmer months lounging in great manor houses, feasting in the fields, tempting forbidden romance, and perhaps engaging in sport. But someone in the Queen's entourage isn't playing by the rules…and soon Elizabeth is dodging crossbows, longbows, and--worst of all--the threat ...more
Published November 27th 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published February 20th 2007)

Moonmomie
I'm biased because I adore this particular genre and time period, and I thoroughly enjoyed this entire series of books by Karen Harper. They are written very similarly to Fiona Buckley's Ursla Blanchard Mysteries.... almost confusingly so. This series focuses on Queen Elizabeth I, herself, solving the murders of her subjects. Absolutely fictitious activities frequent the books (Elizabeth leaving the castle in disguise to chase down clues and criminals). But, this is why it is Historical "Fiction ...more
Denise
When authors write multiple books in a series it is a given that not every one will be brilliant. Some may only earn a rating of "fair" by the readers. So it is here. This tale wandered quite a bit and the ending was almost an afterthought. If this is the end of the series it would have been nice to weave in the queen's feelings on never marrying or having children. This was a time when religion and society preached that marrying and bearing children were the main reasons that women existed. Not ...more
Liz
When I started this book I didn't know that it was part of a series and it didn't matter because it would work as a standalone as well. This book was slow for most of it but picked up pace at the very end. This one was ok and reading it I didn't intend to read any of the others but I am seeing that other reviewers liked the others in the series more so I think I'll give another one a try.
Karen
This wasn't my favorite of the series, as it kind of plodded along, and at the end, finally got up to the pace I expect. I do think part of the slowness is due to Meg Milligrew not being herself - she's such an integral part of the other books that her lesser, quieter part this time was noticeable.

All in all, a good story; the whole premise of the series is slightly implausible, but that doesn't detract that much from it, due to the details Karen Harper adds to her stories.
Thalia
It seemed to drag out (even though it's only 225 pages). I did, however, find myself very impressed with the author's ability to portray Elizabeth - very believable, just as I've imagined her. She's witty, cutting, passionate, clever and THE BOSS. The end was a bit abrupt and lack lustre, the mystery not really being all that fabulous in this one. However, I shall try another of this series...perhaps number one?
Stacey
I usually enjoyed this light Elizabethan series. This one was quite disappointing. It did not capture my attention like the others in the series. The ending made me believe that it was the last one she was going to write, so maybe she had just run out of excitement for the series when she was writing it.
Merle
As Elizabeth I ages, it gets continually harder to accept the fantastic premise that she can escape her role in disguise with the help of her long-time servants. That granted, however, the series remains well crafted light entertainment with interesting historical tidbits.
Beth
Much better than the previous entry in the series: A Fatal Fashione. This book focused more on Elizabeth and I felt captured her character much more accurately.
Jessica
A fun read, as all the Karen Harper books I've read have been.
Ursula
Harper has a really good sense of history
Stacey Andrews
Last one in the series to date!
Nathalie
Nathalie marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Linda Lipko
Linda Lipko marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Vilde
Vilde marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Kelli
Kelli marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Kittykorn
Kittykorn marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Cattlin
Cattlin marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Whitney
Whitney is currently reading it
Oct 01, 2014
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
  • The Siren Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #8)
  • The Brading Collection (Miss Silver, #17)
  • The Times We Had: Life with William Randolph Hearst
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • Strong As Death (Catherine LeVendeur, #4)
  • Coaster
  • The Trip to Jerusalem
  • The Miracles of Archangel Michael
A New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, Karen Harper is a former college English instructor (The Ohio State University) and high school literature and writing teacher. A lifelong Ohioan, Karen and her husband Don divide their time between the midwest and the southeast, both locations she has used in her books. Besides her American settings, Karen loves the British Isles, where her Scott ...more
More about Karen Harper...
The Last Boleyn The Queen's Governess The First Princess of Wales Mistress Shakespeare The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)