Troll Mill (Troll, #2)

Troll Mill (Troll Trilogy #2)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  482 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Fifteen-year-old Peer Ulfsson is haunted by his past. Forced to live with his evil uncles under the eerie shadows of Troll Fell, he nearly fell prey to their plan to sell children to the trolls. Now Peer lives with his friend Hilde's family, but can he ever truly belong? And will Hilde ever share his deeper feelings?

One rainy night, Peer watches in shock as his neighbor Ke...more
Published January 24th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Troll Mill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Troll Mill

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Three Billy Goats Gruff by Paul GaldoneTroll by Johanna SinisaloMoominland Midwinter by Tove JanssonThe Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen
Best of the Trolls
22nd out of 39 books — 25 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  PrinceHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
YA Male POV
339th out of 455 books — 407 voters

More lists with this book...

Matthew Goode Ⓥ
I enjoyed reading this, but I found it hard to connect with how the non-human sentient creatures are regarded - they are all second-class citizens of the world, but there is no explanation as to why this really ought to be the case (as in, how do the humans of the situation justify the treatment of the non-humans). There is some acknowledgement of commonality later in the book, but it just seems as though if one were to think about it, the humans are sort of bastards. The sea-people/Kersten/Bjor...more
Kim Zarins
I read TROLL FELL years ago and absolutely loved it, so it was a pleasure reading the second installment. This second book shows some emotional growth in Peer and no easy solutions for his quest to become independent and win the girl he crushes on. He's not ready for independence quite yet, and sometimes in life (but rarely in fiction) the boy doesn't get the girl. Sometimes the demons--or Uncle Baldurs--of our past still tower over us, without any easy fix. Sometimes a boy looks like an ungainl...more
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
Whew, Troll Mill really picks up on adventure and excitement! I think I might actually like it a teeny bit more than Troll Fell! In this continuing story, 3 years have passed and Peer and Hilde and now (dum dum dum!) teenagers! I haven’t been all that impressed with teen protagonists lately, but here, both characters capture the changes in behavior and feelings without being over-the-top or annoying. Very nice! And the sweet budding romance – perfect!

Once again, a very engaging read! It seems li...more
Book Elf
Well, this is the second book, but I read it anyway without reading the first one, Troll Fell. It was an easy-read book, although the setting was kinda dark for me. Troll Fell was a place I don't want to be in. Creepy, dark, and dangerous. At first half of the book, I was bored with the seal issue. The second half was pretty exciting though.

New creatures were formulated. Yes, lubbers, the Nis, Seal people and Granny Greenteeth. If I read the first book, maybe I will understand more how they look...more
Ron Bajrami
The book is about Peer trying to rebuild the mill in Troll Fell. His uncles used to own it but since they are gone, Peer is trying to set a new life in the mill. The setting is in Troll Fell and the main character is Peer. Peer's main external conflict is, him having to try to make a new life in the mill and to deal with all the trolls, lubbers, and Granny Green Teeth. Peer's main internal conflict is, him thinking about his evil uncles and fearing that they might come back to haunt him.

During r...more
Jaime
Carrying on the story of the life of Peers and his adoptive family where Troll Fell left off, this book delves into slightly darker territory. The themes are edging close to a bit too mature for kids, however, by dealing with those themes from a kid's perspective, Langrish has managed to do two things.

First, she's made the story challenging and still inviting for young readers, giving them things to think about that go beyond their everyday lives, and this is important for kids learning to navig...more
RedPaint Spilman
This book delves into the mythos of the descendants of early viking conquerers of England. It introduces us to a boy who is taken from a small village to work for his uncles in another after his father's death. The boy never feels like he fits in and is always an outsider, which is the feeling I had after reading it. I just never got enough of the culture surrounding the hero to understand the motivations of the supporting characters. Yet the story was original and moderately paced.
Janet
I listened to this book on audio tape during many tedious car journeys to and from work. A great children's book, really scary in bits. Andrew Sachs reads it all and his version of the troll prince telling a fairy story makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Brilliant!
Daniel
I really enjoyed this one. It was very fast paced. I will try to not have any spoilers. I just love how Katherine is able to blend childlike fantasy ideas with such darker happenings while keeping an ominous and anxious tone simultaneously. Mixing sometimes funny motivations behind why certain things are happening (like the want for blankets) with seriously much darker ones (like with who wants baby or even the sailors story).
Sandra Martin
I know that this is a kids book, and I know that it is the second in the series and I have not read the first one, but it was an enjoyable quick read.

It is everything that you would expect from a well put together piece of writing for children. It instantly captured my imagination and I hope that it will capture yours!

For children with big imaginations and adults who are likewise minded (or at least that want to be).
Ryan McArthur
I really like this series, the setting and characters are really good, and the plot is as well.
Karen
I learned some unique legends, myths, folklore (at least for me) from Vikings and some Native Americans. I haven't taken the time yet to check these myths for verification. I was introduced to the "Jenu" a North American "Snow Monster" (3rd book), Lubbers, Granny Greenteeth and a few more. I also learned more about trolls, house elves and seal people. This is a fast, fun read with lots of adventure.
Rawan Hossam el-din
love the story <3 ....the events are in wonderful order.
and it's a very amusing novel
i started it while i had a hand full of studding, but i just couldn't put it down.
MJ
Nov 20, 2008 MJ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy, ya
This is the sequel to Troll Fell. Peer is still trying to find his place with his new family—he makes shy advances to the daughter of the house but her eyes are set on someone older. Then a friend shoves his new baby girl into Peer’s arms and heads out to sea to retrieve his seal wife. What is Peer to do with a baby whom the trolls have their eyes on???
Avika
This book was really mysterious and unlke anyother book that i have ever read1 The names are so diffrent like some books will have twins names carey and mary but this book has Sigrid and Sigurd!
Instead of your typical villans you have trolls! It was a wonderful story and the trilogy of troll mill is one of the best ones i have ever read!
Meredith
Just as good (maybe better) than the first book. The story picks up 3 years or so after the first book ends, and even though the first book stands on its own really well, there's a lot of pay-off in this volume. I loved the different folklore and folk tales that Langrish incorporates into the story as well. I'm very excited for book 3!
Anthony
I read this book a few years ago - I received it as a Christmas present ages ago and kind of forgot about it. When I finally started reading I automatically fell in love with the story and thoroughly enjoyed the novel as a whole.
I plan to read the 1st novel, and eventually the 3rd which is supposed to be fantastic!
Ryan
Troll Mill isn't so much a sequel as a continuation of the story from Troll Fell - and its a good story. There is a bit of coming-of-age - though it doesn't hit you in the face with it - and learning about one's passion and talent. The bad guys aren't completely bad and even trolls and humans have a bit in common.
Chris The Story Reading Ape
I find these stories about Vikings, Trolls and Scandinavian Myths enjoyable, in any case, to paraphrase the founder of the Salvation Army, when asked why he was so keen on having his people form bands and sing, he said "Why should the Devil have all the best songs".

Why should such good stories be only for YA's!
Pauline Rouse
I saw this book at the library, and realized it probably hadn't been checked out in a while, due to it's appearances. with that thought in mind, i decided to give it a chance. And my conclusive review would be that everyone should read this book! It was funny, romantic, and absolutely fantastic!
Kate
A sequel I actually liked! All I can say is Awesome Job Katherine! Once again, the characters and background come alive through the writing. Love the mythological characters that are interweaved amongst the humans.
David
There is a lovely mix of fantasy at mystery here. I love the atmosphere of the story and the edge-of-the-world place in which it is set. Good characters and extremely well-written prose makes for an engaging read.
J. Else
I thought this book was constant movement with regards to the characters and plot. Very exciting tale and hard to put down. This book surpassed Troll Fell. Excellent plot weaving and character development.
Erin Hazell
Jul 22, 2014 Erin Hazell is currently reading it
Really good, but wished I had read the first, excited to read Troll Blood!
Nate the great
This is one of my favorite books but when I was in the middle I found out this was the second book. theirs lots of action.
Rebecca
this ended up being the 2nd in the series. i enjoyed it and want to read the first and third.
Mariah
A fun quick read. Great for preteen kids. Mysterious fantasy that revolves around teenagers.
Greta
This is the second book in the Troll Trilogy. I liked it. Peer is a hero once again.
Shaz Lewins
This second book was not as good as the frist one. But I loved how it started
Roy
A very enjoyable read. Fast paced and great characters.
  • The Golden Dream of Carlo Chuchio
  • Highway Cats
  • Mr. Chickee's Funny Money
  • The Witches' Kitchen
  • Shadows on the Stars (The Great Tree of Avalon, #2)
  • The Dragon's Lair (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #3)
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • Mortlock
  • Anatopsis
  • Journey to the Fringe (Stone Mage Wars #1)
  • Jackie's Wild Seattle
  • The Thirteenth Skull (Alfred Kropp, #3)
  • Escape!: The Story of the Great Houdini
  • The Return of Meteor Boy? (The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, #2)
  • Victory
  • The Islands of the Blessed (Sea of Trolls, #3)
  • The Maze in the Heart of the Castle
  • Return of the Emerald Skull (Barnaby Grimes, #2)
Troll Fell (Troll, #1) Troll Blood (Troll, #3) The Shadow Hunt West of the Moon (Troll, #1-3) Dark Angels