Start by marking “Troll Mill (Troll, #2)” as Want to Read:
Troll Mill (Troll, #2)

Troll Mill (Troll Trilogy #2)

Fifteen-year-old Peer Ulfsson is haunted by his past. Forced to live with his evil uncles under the eerie shadows of Troll Fell, he nearly fell prey to their plan to sell children to the trolls. Now Peer lives with his friend Hilde's family, but can he ever truly belong? And will Hilde ever share his deeper feelings?

One rainy night, Peer watches in shock as his neighbor Ke
Published January 24th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Troll Mill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Troll Mill

Matthew Goode Ⓥ
Apr 20, 2013 Matthew Goode Ⓥ rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this, but I found it hard to connect with how the non-human sentient creatures are regarded - they are all second-class citizens of the world, but there is no explanation as to why this really ought to be the case (as in, how do the humans of the situation justify the treatment of the non-humans). There is some acknowledgement of commonality later in the book, but it just seems as though if one were to think about it, the humans are sort of bastards. The sea-people/Kersten/Bjor ...more
Kim Zarins
Jun 22, 2014 Kim Zarins rated it it was amazing
I read TROLL FELL years ago and absolutely loved it, so it was a pleasure reading the second installment. This second book shows some emotional growth in Peer and no easy solutions for his quest to become independent and win the girl he crushes on. He's not ready for independence quite yet, and sometimes in life (but rarely in fiction) the boy doesn't get the girl. Sometimes the demons--or Uncle Baldurs--of our past still tower over us, without any easy fix. Sometimes a boy looks like an ungainl ...more
Brian
Sep 24, 2016 Brian rated it liked it
A great world. The suspense is electrifying (perhaps a bit too close to horror for younger readers, so I'd recommend this for older elementary reader and the not-easily-frightened crew). The ending was a bit of a let-down for me, but it ties up all the loose ends (a bit too easily for my liking).
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
Whew, Troll Mill really picks up on adventure and excitement! I think I might actually like it a teeny bit more than Troll Fell! In this continuing story, 3 years have passed and Peer and Hilde and now (dum dum dum!) teenagers! I haven’t been all that impressed with teen protagonists lately, but here, both characters capture the changes in behavior and feelings without being over-the-top or annoying. Very nice! And the sweet budding romance – perfect!

Once again, a very engaging read! It seems li
Ron Bajrami
Jul 31, 2009 Ron Bajrami rated it it was amazing
The book is about Peer trying to rebuild the mill in Troll Fell. His uncles used to own it but since they are gone, Peer is trying to set a new life in the mill. The setting is in Troll Fell and the main character is Peer. Peer's main external conflict is, him having to try to make a new life in the mill and to deal with all the trolls, lubbers, and Granny Green Teeth. Peer's main internal conflict is, him thinking about his evil uncles and fearing that they might come back to haunt him.

During r
Book Elf
Feb 17, 2011 Book Elf rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-away
Well, this is the second book, but I read it anyway without reading the first one, Troll Fell. It was an easy-read book, although the setting was kinda dark for me. Troll Fell was a place I don't want to be in. Creepy, dark, and dangerous. At first half of the book, I was bored with the seal issue. The second half was pretty exciting though.

New creatures were formulated. Yes, lubbers, the Nis, Seal people and Granny Greenteeth. If I read the first book, maybe I will understand more how they look
Jaime
Aug 21, 2009 Jaime rated it really liked it
Carrying on the story of the life of Peers and his adoptive family where Troll Fell left off, this book delves into slightly darker territory. The themes are edging close to a bit too mature for kids, however, by dealing with those themes from a kid's perspective, Langrish has managed to do two things.

First, she's made the story challenging and still inviting for young readers, giving them things to think about that go beyond their everyday lives, and this is important for kids learning to navig
Daniel
Jul 31, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. It was very fast paced. I will try to not have any spoilers. I just love how Katherine is able to blend childlike fantasy ideas with such darker happenings while keeping an ominous and anxious tone simultaneously. Mixing sometimes funny motivations behind why certain things are happening (like the want for blankets) with seriously much darker ones (like with who wants baby or even the sailors story).
Sandra Martin
Mar 30, 2013 Sandra Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
I know that this is a kids book, and I know that it is the second in the series and I have not read the first one, but it was an enjoyable quick read.

It is everything that you would expect from a well put together piece of writing for children. It instantly captured my imagination and I hope that it will capture yours!

For children with big imaginations and adults who are likewise minded (or at least that want to be).
Shannon
Jun 20, 2015 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Loved this whole series by Katherine Langrish There is 3 books in the series Troll Fell, Troll Mill and Troll Blood I would highly recommend you read them they are an awesome series when I read them I could not put them down the only problem is that there is only 3 books in the series there should have been heaps more I could not get my head out of he books and I have always got books on the go I am total bookworm and loved these books
Karen
Jan 17, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
I learned some unique legends, myths, folklore (at least for me) from Vikings and some Native Americans. I haven't taken the time yet to check these myths for verification. I was introduced to the "Jenu" a North American "Snow Monster" (3rd book), Lubbers, Granny Greenteeth and a few more. I also learned more about trolls, house elves and seal people. This is a fast, fun read with lots of adventure.
RedPaint Spilman
Nov 12, 2010 RedPaint Spilman rated it liked it
This book delves into the mythos of the descendants of early viking conquerers of England. It introduces us to a boy who is taken from a small village to work for his uncles in another after his father's death. The boy never feels like he fits in and is always an outsider, which is the feeling I had after reading it. I just never got enough of the culture surrounding the hero to understand the motivations of the supporting characters. Yet the story was original and moderately paced.
Krista Ivy
Jan 04, 2015 Krista Ivy rated it liked it
Set three years later. The family's settled in with Peer as one of them. Now that he's older, he's developing feelings for the lovely Hilde who's always been by and on his side. Peer just wants to be grown and show how independent and self sufficient that he is to Hilde. Then, the dilemma of the story. Kersten, Bjorn's wife, runs at Peer with her baby and tells him to bring it to Bjorn. She runs off into the water and then the book starts to move.
Anthony William
Mar 21, 2012 Anthony William rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, childrens, 1
I read this book a few years ago - I received it as a Christmas present ages ago and kind of forgot about it. When I finally started reading I automatically fell in love with the story and thoroughly enjoyed the novel as a whole.
I plan to read the 1st novel, and eventually the 3rd which is supposed to be fantastic!
MJ
Nov 20, 2008 MJ rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
This is the sequel to Troll Fell. Peer is still trying to find his place with his new family—he makes shy advances to the daughter of the house but her eyes are set on someone older. Then a friend shoves his new baby girl into Peer’s arms and heads out to sea to retrieve his seal wife. What is Peer to do with a baby whom the trolls have their eyes on???
Ryan
Aug 11, 2008 Ryan rated it liked it
Troll Mill isn't so much a sequel as a continuation of the story from Troll Fell - and its a good story. There is a bit of coming-of-age - though it doesn't hit you in the face with it - and learning about one's passion and talent. The bad guys aren't completely bad and even trolls and humans have a bit in common.
Meredith
Jul 08, 2010 Meredith rated it it was amazing
Just as good (maybe better) than the first book. The story picks up 3 years or so after the first book ends, and even though the first book stands on its own really well, there's a lot of pay-off in this volume. I loved the different folklore and folk tales that Langrish incorporates into the story as well. I'm very excited for book 3!
Avika
Apr 19, 2012 Avika rated it really liked it
This book was really mysterious and unlke anyother book that i have ever read1 The names are so diffrent like some books will have twins names carey and mary but this book has Sigrid and Sigurd!
Instead of your typical villans you have trolls! It was a wonderful story and the trilogy of troll mill is one of the best ones i have ever read!
Chris The Story Reading Ape
Jan 04, 2013 Chris The Story Reading Ape rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-reviewed
I find these stories about Vikings, Trolls and Scandinavian Myths enjoyable, in any case, to paraphrase the founder of the Salvation Army, when asked why he was so keen on having his people form bands and sing, he said "Why should the Devil have all the best songs".

Why should such good stories be only for YA's!
Tiffany Du
Oct 19, 2016 Tiffany Du rated it it was amazing
Exceptional follow up to the first book. Diving right into the third and final book once I get home. I love Katherine's descriptions; they are quirky and I have quite the vivid image of the farm, the mill, the beach, troll fell, the fields, everything. Wish there was some concept art out there or a movie!
Janet
Aug 08, 2014 Janet rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book on audio tape during many tedious car journeys to and from work. A great children's book, really scary in bits. Andrew Sachs reads it all and his version of the troll prince telling a fairy story makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Brilliant!
David
Jul 05, 2013 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
There is a lovely mix of fantasy at mystery here. I love the atmosphere of the story and the edge-of-the-world place in which it is set. Good characters and extremely well-written prose makes for an engaging read.
Kate
Dec 29, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
A sequel I actually liked! All I can say is Awesome Job Katherine! Once again, the characters and background come alive through the writing. Love the mythological characters that are interweaved amongst the humans.
J. Else
Oct 04, 2009 J. Else rated it really liked it
I thought this book was constant movement with regards to the characters and plot. Very exciting tale and hard to put down. This book surpassed Troll Fell. Excellent plot weaving and character development.
Pauline Rouse
Jul 22, 2012 Pauline Rouse rated it really liked it
I saw this book at the library, and realized it probably hadn't been checked out in a while, due to it's appearances. with that thought in mind, i decided to give it a chance. And my conclusive review would be that everyone should read this book! It was funny, romantic, and absolutely fantastic!
Kaleb
Sep 27, 2016 Kaleb rated it liked it
It was a good book with an interesting plot for as equal, but the climax was too fast and too many things were going on at once. It was pretty confusing at that time.
Rawan Hossam el-din
Jan 31, 2014 Rawan Hossam el-din rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english
love the story <3 ....the events are in wonderful order.
and it's a very amusing novel
i started it while i had a hand full of studding, but i just couldn't put it down.
Nathan Huntzinger
Feb 10, 2009 Nathan Huntzinger rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
This is one of my favorite books but when I was in the middle I found out this was the second book. theirs lots of action.
Nahnita
Jun 27, 2015 Nahnita rated it it was amazing
loved it! Yes its a young adult book but the story was good the characters feel like family and I hope there is more to this series!
Kendrick
Kendrick rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2011
  • The Golden Dream of Carlo Chuchio
  • Highway Cats
  • Mr. Chickee's Funny Money
  • The House of Windjammer (Windjammer, #1)
  • My Name Is Sally Little Song
  • Porch Lies: Tales of Slicksters, Tricksters, and other Wily Characters
  • The Dragon's Lair (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #3)
  • Shadows on the Stars (Merlin Saga, #10)
  • My Last Skirt: The Story of Jennie Hodgers, Union Soldier
  • Fire in the Hills (Stones in Water, #2)
  • Orphan Of The Sun
  • The Witches' Kitchen
  • Dangerous Times (Nathan Fox, #1)
  • Odder Than Ever (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #2)
  • Maybelle in the Soup
  • Escape!: The Story of the Great Houdini
  • The Great Powers Outage (The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, #3)
  • Dusssie

Troll Trilogy (3 books)
  • Troll Fell (Troll, #1)
  • Troll Blood (Troll, #3)