Nocover-blank-133x176
Shadow Puppets

Orson Scott Card

Shadow Puppets (Ender's Shadow #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  30,627 ratings  ·  625 reviews
Bestselling author Orson Scott Card brings to life a new chapter in the saga of Ender's Earth. Earth and its society have been changed irrevocably in the aftermath of Ender Wiggin's victory over the Formics. The unity forced upon the warring nations by an alien enemy has shattered. Nations are rising again, seeking territory and influence, and most of all, seeking to contr...more
Published (first published August 9th 2002)

Stephen
Photobucket

AND LET ME MAKE THIS PERFECTLY CLEAR...

Photobucket

For those of you interested in learning to make hand “shadow puppets” or reading more about the movie starring “James Marsters,” I invite you to check out their entries in Wikipedia for more information. For those interested in the origin and history of the band consisting of Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys and Miles Kane of The Rascals...well...you should be ashamed of yourselves and I will not be an enabler for you.

For this review, we will be discuss...more
Synesthesia
Petra- I want to have your babies, Bean, even if you have a fatal genetic disease that might pass down to the kids and kill them painfully at a young age.

Bean-I don't want you to have my babies because I have a fatal genetic disease that might pass down to the kids and kill them painfully at a young age and anyway, I'm not human.

Anton-Even though I'm gay, I'm going to marry a woman and have babies with her because you can't be gay and be part of the Web of Life. You have to marry someone of the...more
Alex
I've got to speak some truth to power: This is a lousy book.

Ender's Game was pretty cool. The other three books in the Enderverse were progressively less good, but still all right. The first two books in the Beanverse (or whatever we want to call them)... not so great, but kind of fun, I guess? But this one. Oh my.

Why did I finish this? I admit that I read half of it six months ago, was so bored with it that I put it down again, and then just recently finished it up because I didn't have anythi...more
Mandie Mc
Mar 31, 2012 Mandie Mc rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: no one, seriously
Shelves: unfinished, reviewed
I used to be the sort of person who prided herself on not quitting a book. Much as I flit from one project to another, leaving things unfinished, books and movies deserved my full efforts, no matter how abysmal they might seem in the beginning.

Thanks to a run of bad novels, I've changed my mind. Life is too short to finish a book that doesn't grip you. It's definitely too short to finish a book that makes you roll your eyes, chapter after chapter.

I trudged through the first hour or two of this...more
Chris Friend
Mar 15, 2008 Chris Friend rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Ender or sci-fi fans
This was quite a relief.

I'll admit that I'm growing a bit tired of the "Enderverse" as it's so often called. The cast of characters Card created are great, but I'm growing a bit tired of having so many books covering the same people. The Shadow series was a nice change of pace, but the previous book had been a bit slow in the action, feeling like the author was treading water.

Card got a fire lit under his butt. This book makes up for lost time and moves through events quite well. There are a num...more
Jacob
March 2010
Previously: Shadow of the Hegemon

It’s been, oh, some amount of time since the Buggers Formics were defeated and Ender was exiled from Earth. A lot has happened since. Peter Wiggin is a nearly-powerless Hegemon working in Brazil; the great powers are doing whatever the hell they want; Achilles, the great mastermind behind it all, has been freed from the Chinese and taken to the one place he hasn’t had an opportunity to screw over yet; and Bean is in love. Or so we’re told. What we aren’...more
Bailey Kleinberg
As the Ender series progresses each book gets significantly sadder. I thought Ender's Shadow was brilliant, I love the parallel novel and I love Bean.
This book had some fatal flaws however. What happened to Petra? When did she become a character whose only desire is to pop out a couple of kids and take the minivan to soccer practice? Was she not the best sharpshooter in the whole Battle School? It's as if Card redefines her entire life by the fact that she was the one who cracked up there on Er...more
Katie
Third in the Shadow series, this book follows Bean and other characters from Ender's Game / Ender's Shadow, including Ender's brother Peter, and looks at events that occured on Earth after Ender went off into space.

The importance of Ender is repeatedly stressed, and gets more and more awkward throughout the Shadow series because Ender is, well, gone. This and the other Shadow books are more geopolitical, and therefore boring (to me - personal preference). I've just never been a current events ty...more
Kat
The Post-Bugger war for control of Earth grinds on, but Card's main interest seems to lie in philosophizing at length--mostly about the innate, evolutionary need of humans to reproduce, whether they like it or not, and he uses formerly-interesting characters Bean and Petra as his mouthpieces. The villain, Achilles, becomes even more of a ridiculous bugbear, and less of an actual character.

I have a great deal of respect for Card as an author, but the "Shadow" series, after such a magnificent star...more
Erin
This book would be how Orson Scott Card would novelize watching Bella and Edward play Risk. So, you know, if you're into that kind of thing it's really gonna be your cup of tea. I skimmed over all the "zomg baaaaaaaaaaaabeeeeeeeeeees" angst and just read the political/military strategy sections. Not the strongest book in the series.
Nicholas Karpuk
I gave up on this book about halfway through. I seem to recall saying I'd give up on the Shadow books after the last one, but this was loaned to me, so I have that comfort at least.

This book is uncomfortably fixated on breeding. The opinions espoused on passing on genetics in this book rival the weird rantings from Xenocide when it comes to sheer needless ranting. Unfortunately, this book lacks the solid plot buried beneath the blather.

Card is still playing a game of Risk with world powers, and...more
Zach
Fundamentally, I don't think I can understand Orson Scott Card. Even if Bean is able to get into Achille's head, I don't get why Card is writing such awful novels. He should have ended it all after Children of the Mind (which should have been annexed into Xenocide). Ender's Shadow may lie as the only exception.

The book is shallow, shamelessly upholds and proselytizes Christian values but you don't think about it because Card is using an atheist character to do it. While Speaker and Xenocide dea...more
Tyler Adams
I thought this was another great book in an amazing series. Orson Scott Card picks right up where he left off in Shadow of the Hegemon; and continues telling the story of Bean, and the post formic war world. Peter Wiggin, the newly elected Hegemon of Earth, and Bean, a brilliant military strategist, are trying to unite the world under one government, and Peter will stop at nothing to accomplish this goal.

I chose to read this book because I loved the previous books in this series and wanted to...more
Marta
Okey, so I have a bit of a problem with Shadow Puppets. I've somehow lost time-line, thus having no idea whatsoever about the age of both protagonists.

At numerous points through-out the story it is hinted that Bean is below age of 20. In fact, most of the character crew is about the same age. Then again, it is implied that some time has passed since Peter took over the Hegemony. And where did Beans title as Strategos go?

So, there are some inconsistencies in the story, that kind of get annoying....more
Monica
Wait a second. Who the dickens is Bean, really? Why is he dominating the Shadow series? Are we supposed to care about him, and his wifey, and his little embryos? Why isn't this Peter's story?

OSC may have set up Bean to be Ender's heir- the next best young military genius, the next best choice for Petra, the next greatest asset, etc.- but in truth Bean possesses little to recommend him to the readers that were captured by Ender. We care for the rest of the Wiggins because we see Ender in them, a...more
Adam
Seamus Quigley
Well, what a disappointment this book turned out to be.

A bit more context; after reading Ender’s Game I was blown away and eager for more. Speaker for the Dead and it’s sequels were disappointing. They weren’t bad, they were just very different in tone to Ender’s Game. Finding the Shadow series proved to be a boon. Much closer in tone and time, Ender’s Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon proved to be the sequels I was looking for.

Then this book happened.

The geopolitics and strategy that so gripped...more
The Thousander Club
Adam C. Zern opines on Orson Scott Card's 7th book in the Ender series . . .

"Seven books into a series, what can an author do to keep the stories and characters interesting? How does the author keep the drama, humor, and the other various elements of a story from becoming stultified? Having read Shadow Puppets I have to conclude that Orson Scott Card may be losing his stride. Granted, Shadow Puppets is really the third book in the Bean (Shadow) trilogy, which began with Ender's Shadow, but that...more
Rollie
If you are unaware that I'm a dedicated fan of Ender's Game, much less Ender's Shadow; count yourself as one of those I am not really close to. However, if you liked this series without knowing that I do as well, well then, consider yourself as one of those I'm planning to chat with like no end

Bean-or better yet Jullian Delphiki is cute no more. The theoretical effects of Anton's Key are gradually revealing. From a small child Bean, now he's growing to be like a giant. Contrary to the physical g...more
Kathryn Fulton
Orson Scott Card is fantastic at imagining political and social futures, and at tracing way small decisions lead to worldwide changes. He is very good at internal monologues from characters tortured by deep questions about the morality of their actions and about their own nature.

He should probably not try to write romance. Or, possibly, dialogue. Petra jumps into this book completely obsessed with having Bean's babies. And no, that is not a euphemism for having sex with him. She doesn't seem to...more
John
Some fans of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow might be disappointed by the lack of space opera elements continuing on into this book, but Shadow Puppets is still a great novel of political intrigue, military strategy, and philosophical ruminating--assuming you're into that kind of stuff. I like that Card keeps the plot moving steadily forward, finally giving us the penultimate showdown between Bean and Achilles that we've been long waiting for. It's pretty much along the same lines as the last bo...more
Sue Donym
I still have a love for Petra that continues unabated, but I really don't know what to say about this book other than that it drags on. Honestly, so little of each individual book in the later part of this series stuck with me at all that I can't help but dismiss them entirely. I admire the patience and dedication of anyone who can finish this series all the way.

This book finally starts to tie together Peter's story with Bean's, but by this time the whole thing is so convoluted and slowly-paced...more
Jesse Booth
Buckets
This is the first truly bad book I have read by Card. The story from the political standpoint is not terrible. It is just a "what-if" future political thriller in the Enderverse. However, Card is basically telling you that you should have babies, and that babies are the most important thing in the world, and if you don't have all the babies you can have by the time you die you are selfish and stupid and don't really know what life is all about.

OK. I get it, Orson. You like babies.

I think my thou...more
Debbie
Sep 13, 2007 Debbie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: science fiction fans
Shelves: sciencefiction
Peter Wiggin, still the Hegemon, makes a serious mistake when he rescues Achilles from the Chinese. Peter thinks he can control Achilles, but Achilles quickly gains the upper hand and forces Peter to flee for his life. Meanwhile, Petra finally convinces Bean to have children with her, but he insists that any embryos with his altereded genes be destroyed. Of course, the extra embryos are stolen and Bean and Petra try to recover them in a showdown with Achilles.

Though I am quite tired of the propa...more
Katie
Another good book on the Bean/Peter side of the Ender universe. Card has so much insight into and respect for the cultures he writes about and is deft with his handling of male/female interaction. There is a line about a Russian giving a hug that you fear you'll never escape from and I can attest to the truth of that, having received many hearty hugs from my relatives. Card's work is easy for me to gobble up all in one go, I read this one in just a few hours and had my husband going, "I thought...more
Sarah Capps
Well, Card basically destroyed Petra. At one point she was one of the best and only female battle school kids. Now all she wants out of life is babies, apparently, but this isn't a strange character shift because making babies is the deepest desire of all women, or so Card would have me believe. Also, Card needed to pick up a thesaurus and find a word synonymous with 'babies.' I also felt the extent to which a lot of the characters feared Achilles never seemed to be supported in the work. Whenev...more
Kent
Ender's Game is one of most favorite books. It was so good that Card managed to tell the same exact story all over again from a different angle (with Ender's Shadow) and still make it fantastic. Shadow of the Hegemon was fine.

But this--this is a miserable book. It made me physically ill. He took the characters that I knew and loved and made them spout hetero-normative bullshit and "BABIES BABIES BAAAAAABIES," said Petra.

I haven't disliked a book this much in recent memory. 2/3rds in and I couldn...more
Jenny
I have mixed feelings about this one.

On the one hand, it's as well written as the other books in the Ender's Shadow series. It's perhaps not quite as strong because this one is more relationship driven and Card is not as good at writing relationships as he is at writing intellectual sparring.

On the other hand, Ender's Shadow felt more...pushy of an agenda. All authors sneak their own personal beliefs into their works; it's inevitable. I'm particularly sensitive to when LDS authors do it because...more
Joseph Kranak
Shadow Puppets is very much like its predecessor, Shadow of the Hegemon. It has most of the same conflicts and beats: Bean is still on the run, Achille is still the Big Bad and is after Bean and the Risk-style geo-political conflicts are still underway. It even has a similar ending. Very little new is introduced in this book. This makes the book on par with the previous but probably not worth reading if you've read the previous.

On the other hand, like the previous book, it is interesting and and...more
  • Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show
  • Ender's Game, Volume 2: Command School
  • Ender's Shadow: Command School
  • Prelude to Foundation (Foundation: Prequel, #1)
  • House Harkonnen (Prelude to Dune, #2)
  • The Final Battle (Legion, #2)
  • Of Fire and Night (The Saga of Seven Suns, #5)
  • Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #5)
  • Mercury
  • Honor Among Enemies (Honor Harrington, #6)
  • Firstborn (A Time Odyssey, #3)
  • Ringworld's Children (Ringworld, #4)
  • Onslaught (Dark Tide, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #2)
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th...more
More about Orson Scott Card...
Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet, #2) Ender's Shadow (Ender's Shadow, #1) Xenocide (The Ender Quintet, #3) Children of the Mind (The Ender Quintet, #4)

“It will hurt." said Petra. "But let's make the most of what we have, and not let future pain ruin present happiness.” 52 likes
“So you love me," said Petra softly when the kiss ended.

I'm a raging mass of hormones thet I'm too young to understand," said Bean. "You're a female of a closely related species. According to all the best primatologists, I really have no choice."

That's nice," she said...”
22 likes