Start by marking “The Clansman: An Historical Romance of the Ku Klux Klan” as Want to Read:
The Clansman: An Historical Romance of the Ku Klux Klan

The Clansman: An Historical Romance of the Ku Klux Klan (The Reconstruction Trilogy #2)

2.46 of 5 stars 2.46  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Books for All Kinds of ReadersReadHowYouWant offers the widest selection of on-demand, accessible format editions on the market today. Our 7 different sizes of EasyRead are optimized by increasing the font size and spacing between the words and the letters. We partner with leading publishers around the globe. Our goal is to have accessible editions simultaneously released ...more
Published December 9th 2008 by ReadHowYouWant (first published 1905)

Werner
Jul 12, 2008 Werner rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not recommended --except to recycled paper dealers!
The good discussion one of my comments sparked about the misguided ways some writers treat the subject of rape brought to mind this piece of dreck, which I read back at a time when I had much more morbid curiosity in my reading tastes than I do now (obviously, I read an older edition). Dixon was a vile racist; in this novel, the Klan are portrayed as heroes, and virtually all of the black characters are depicted in a highly derogatory fashion --the one exception being a former slave who's presen ...more
Karla
One of my first, and still favorite, silent films is The Birth of a Nation, and I read this book for HS Freshman English class after I saw the movie. My enthusiasm for silent movies probably went way over those kids' heads and they no doubt thought me an out-and-out racist. Hah.

Just as the movie is a rip-roaring melodrama with an overall atrocious sentiment, so is the novel. It really is a perfect book to get into the mindset of the die-hard Lost Cause movement that got a major shot in the arm w
Richard Epstein
If it weren't for Thomas Dixon, Jr., Josh wouldn't have to keep teaching "Birth of a Nation." We were not spared even by Dixon's passing through the opal gates of death.
Alexis
Racist. Boring. And rambling.

From this book I learned that vengeance is only acceptable when a White man on a horse carries it out. For a flat footed Black hooligan to carry it out against men who enslaved him for years is just wrong.

This book was unjustifiable bullsh!t. I would burn it if it wasn't stored on my beloved tablet.

I've read a lot of books by old White men, written during slavery days or shortly thereafter. None compared to this in racist content.

I wonder how Dixon would feel tod
Peyton Smith
The quintessential piece of Lost Cause propaganda. This novel is full of racial stereotypes and overt prejudices against "the North." The only thing that offers this book merit is that it stands as a perfect glimpse into the mind of a Southerner in the early 1900s... But, if you want that your time would be better spent reading Faulkner.
Thara
Aug 30, 2007 Thara rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to read racist social history.
Chill out, I'm reading it for class.
Jason
Jan 27, 2015 Jason rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Too complex, see review
Recommended to Jason by: Found original in great-granddaddy's things
(For the actual review, scroll down (it's clearly marked). I indulge myself with some family flim-flam and general history for a few paragraphs first, though it's all tangentially related to the book).

It took 3 days shy of 2 years, but I finally finished this. The reason it took so long is not due to it being a bad book (just look at the rating I gave it), but because I have a 1907 version that used to to belong to my great-grandfather. I stumbled upon it as mama and I were purging her extensive
Patricia Dietz
The author of this book lived through the post-Civil War Reconstruction period in the south. Laying aside his personal hatred and profound contempt for blacks (if that's possible, as the book is full of it)a few things stood out for me. One was the extent to which, back in those days, women truly were the possessions of their male relatives to the point where their husbands, fathers or brothers would literally rather put a bullet through the woman's head than permit her to shame herself or the f ...more
Anthony
July 10, 2013
A review by Anthony T. Riggio of The Clansman: An Historical Romance of the Ku Klux Klan by Thomas Dixon Jr.

This is an historical novel by a Southerner attempting to justify the need and rise of the Klu Klux Clan written in 1905, forty years after the Civil War. His story revolves around some of the truly unintended consequences of reconstruction, hijacked by vindictive Northern politicians and greedy profiteers.

Several reviewers brand the author a “vile racist” and a “White Suprema
Brandon
Had to read this for a class, and of course I wasn't expecting it to be any good at all. The first half was actually somewhat entertaining. That is, it was very readable, and I wasn't bored really, and the racism wasn't so troublesome at that point. It then completely shit the bed by Part 3. The drawls of the black characters didn't even seem organic like in, say, Kate Chopin's Cajun stories, but were rather just flat-out awfully written, in that it was actually difficult to read, not even becau ...more
Brian
Without a doubt the worst book I've ever read. Had I not had to read this for a college course, I would have not been able to finish it. Absolutely atrocious.
John
Despite all the controversy surrounding this book and the film, "Birth of A Nation," the Clansman is a great historcal read.
Jim Booth
"A controversial book even in its own time, Dixon's novel reflects two great Southern traditions: storytelling and demagoguery." - from my review

See the full review at www.newsoutherngentleman.wordpress.com - link at my Goodreads page. Thanks for stopping by! :-)
Tana
Pretty much what you would expect from an early 20th century text with the subtitle: "An Historical Romance of the Ku Klux Klan."
Dawn Wells
Very over the top book on racism, north vs south, powerless women and the birth of the KKK. Not worth even one star the author is not an interesting writer. Everything was so over dramatized in the book you couldn't become engaged with the story. What is amazing is the fact that there is still a KKK and though they don't represent as many as they take credit for there is a following of new believers. Will we ever move beyond the hate?
Lynn
I realize the subject matter of this book will anger me, but I suspect it's one of the most accurate depictions of the extremely violent racism of the south that prompted the formation of the KKK. For that reason I would like to read it and become a bit better informed.
Read for Race in the 19th Century class. The political stuff was strangely more maudlin than the romantic plotline. The writing is basically the equivalent of a modern-day bestseller, but with a whole lot of racist propaganda behind it.
John
The birth of a nation, end of civil war, reconstuction of south or distruction of same. Listen, this is a novel, ok, a very well written novel. Thomas Dixon knows how to write or knew i guess i should say.
☯Bettie☯
Carly Johnson
Jim Crow era. Very, very intense read.
Desiree Mccave
A good study of a time period.
Soren
Soren marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Simon
Simon added it
Feb 26, 2015
Pop Luisza
Pop Luisza marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Donald Forster
Donald Forster marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Viktors Brze
Viktors Brze marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
TommyKn1fe
TommyKn1fe marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Eric Blair
Eric Blair marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Slave to Want
  • Murder Bay: A Ben Carey Mystery
  • They Met at Shiloh
  • Prophecies of Nostradamus
  • The Eden Passion (Eden, #3)
  • The Spanish Gardener
  • Nathan Bedford Forrest: A Biography
  • Joseph Knight
  • Abraham Lincoln: The Man Behind the Myths
  • The Sword of the Banshee (Historical Fiction About Bold Women)
  • Olympiad
  • House Divided
  • The Auctioneer
  • Thanksgiving, 1942
  • Young Henry of Navarre
  • Love and War (Coltrane, #1)
  • The Inn of the Sixth Happiness
  • Heroes Proved (Peter Newman, #4)
This is the white supremacist novelist.
More about Thomas Dixon Jr....

The Reconstruction Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Leopard's Spots
  • The Traitor
The Leopard's Spots The One Woman The Foolish Virgin The Traitor The Southerner (a Romance of the Real Lincoln)