Trouble with Trolls

Trouble with Trolls

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  1,227 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Treva's trouble with trolls begins when she climbs Mount Baldy with her dog Tuffi. The trolls who live there long for a dog, and they try to kidnap him. But Treva is brave and quick-thinking. She outwits one troll after another until she reaches the very top of the mountain, where five trolls are waiting--and they want her dog! From underground to mountain peak, Jan Brett'...more
Published October 1st 1999 by Puffin (first published 1992)

midnightfaerie
Loving Jan Brett. Her stories are fantastically unique and the illustrations are so detailed. Beautiful snow filled pictures with lots of great characters, all my children love her books.
Michaela Zavala
This is a cute book about a child being able to use her wit to outsmart others. In a few other books written by Jan Brett the child is able to outwit others, this is a cute story that shows children can be very intelligent and smarter then we believe. It is an easy to read book, as well as an easy to understand book. Not only that but the pictures are yet again astonishing. The detail and colors all compliment each other. The author tells a cute story and the pictures perfectly compliment the st...more
Rachel Dalton
This is a great book to use when working on prediction because of the repetition of similar events. The illustrations also really show the emotions of the characters. I have always love Jan Brett books!
Allison
Childrens picture book, fiction

This story is about Treva and her dog encountering a few different trolls on their hike one day. Each troll they run into wants to keep her dog and she has to convince them that the items she has on her are much more appealing to them. First she gives away her mittens, then her sweater, her boots and hat then before she gives away her skis she tricks the trolls into giving her all of her belonging so she can demonstrate how they make her fly. Treva escapes with al...more
Linda Lipko
This is a book that made me smile. On her trek over the mountain to visit her cousin, young Treva had trouble with trolls. The nasty critters have dreamed of owning a dog. When they spied Treva and her dog, they just had to have her animal.

Devising sneaky ways to grab Tuffi, increasingly Treva is successful in getting back her dog. When this game persists, clever Treva intelligently develops a plan to fool these snarky, snaggly trolls.

Rich in beauty of incredible illustrations, and with a story...more
Alix Mckee
I love all the detail in the illustrations of the troll's tree home. Jan Brett, as always, fun stories and immaculate illustrations that invite you to linger and imagine and search for hidden treasure.
Paul Hardin
I really enjoy this book because it reminds me of when I was younger. My brother would read this story to me and make up different ways that the girl would try and out-smart the trolls. I would apply this same method to my classroom. I would present the students with a situation and have them come up with a solution as quickly as they could. I think this would add meaning to the story. Also, again with Jan Brett, children would get a great sense of what the girl was doing with the trolls. Her bo...more
Kati
I used to use her illustrations as fodder for my imagination when I played in the woods near my house. Fond, fond memories.
Jaimie
Another adorable story from Jan Brett. I had no idea that trolls were so into dogs, but the five of them in this story will stop at nothing to get Tuffi! They're not very good at holding onto her though, since they are easily distracted by clothing items... Poor stupid trolls!
Joy
Read this several times to my granddaughter while visiting her. I love Jan Brett's illustrations!
Ashlie
This story is about a girl named Treva who climbs a mountain with her dog. As she is hiking she runs into trouble with trolls. The trolls want her dog Tuffi but she won’t let anything happen to her. The story is set in the winter and the illustrations are done wonderfully. There are always pictures at the bottom of the pages that help the story. This one uses hedgehogs to get the readers attention. She outwits the trolls and gets all of her belongings back and manages to save her dog and get awa...more
Jessie
Yet another book I read to a class. This one is one of my favorites from when I was a kid. I love the story and the illustrations.
I loved the use of wit! Plus the pictures were gorgeous!
Trolls disturb me. There's just something about those pointy ears and mischievous grins that I find unsettling. (I know an awful lot of people who feel exactly the same way about the flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz.) Brett's troll tale is doubly disturbing as I find the main character grating. My pompous, judgmental view aside, the children I read this to enjoyed the story, finding it engaging and suspenseful.
Dolly
Jan 10, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens
This is a fun story about a little girl who finds herself in a pickle when a group of trolls want to take her dog. The story builds upon itself, with one trick after another, as the little girl has to outwit the trolls over and over. The ending is fairly predictable and I'm definitely not a fan of troll stories, but overall, we enjoyed this funny little folktale.
Becky
We borrowed this from the library and read it again and again. After the first few readings my 4 year old started noticing the details in the illustrations and we started talking about those as well as the story. Now that it is time to return it, he asked me how we can keep it because he wants to read it all the time. Love it!
Michael
This was a clever story that shows kids how to use their brain to triumph over adversity. I actually did not see the ending coming, so that was a treat. The only thing that bothered me was how the trolls were portrayed as ugly, and so of course were the enemy. It would have been better if some of the trolls were good trolls.
Cws
Jul 01, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: je-picture-books
JEPIC-Bre Most delightful of Jan Brett's books-the secondary picture story along the bottom of the pages- of the hedgehog using the troll's underground tunnel house while the trolls are away causing havoc- makes a two in one storybook.Jan Brett's books always are like an I-Spy book-something hidden,can you find it?
Kristin
The story itself might not be brilliant, but it is sweet and fun, and I give it a 5 for the illustrations. If you read it yourself you'll see that there's another little story going on in the border that is quite hilarious. Brett is just marvelous, and I make sure to always read this around Christmas.
Kathryn
Oh, Jan Brett does such incredible illustrations; each page full of such intricate treasures to see. The story is fun, somewhat expected, but it doesn't matter because I was busy looking at all the pictures.
Heather Pola
This book is simply put...a DELICIOUS READ! I adore Jan Brett and quite frankly want to walk into the pages of her illustrations. Whether you have children, or just want to have some sparkle reads on your bookshelves...this is a keeper! And of course, there may...just MAY BE, Trouble with Trolls!
Deborah Harris
Dec 30, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a30, ar-3
AR Quiz No. 7595 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.1 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Liz B
A bunch of trolls give Treva trouble in this winterland adventure as they try to take her dog Tuffi. Each time they get the dog, she tricks them by convincing them to take an article of her winter clothing for the dog. In the end Treva very creatively tricks the trolls.
Lucinda
As a child this was hands down my favorite book, and even after all these years I still have a soft spot in my heart for Trouble with Trolls. I would absolutely recommend it to anyone who is looking for a children's book with a strong and clever girl character.
Ana
Great book, great read-a-loud, smart and witty girl, great introduction to Christmas books, not to mention the illustration - awesome as always (love the illustrations where you can see what the trolls are doing) :)
Carla
Fun book about a girl and her dog who hike up a mountain to go skiing. Along the way they run into trolls who cause all sorts of problems. The girl is very clever and outsmarts the trolls in a fun way.
Pam
It's fantastic the way she tricks the trolls, but the story within the story - where the hedgehog explores the trolls' house in wordless illustrations, at the bottom of the page - steals the show!
Kayla
This book was most memorable by its illustrations. They are very detailed and beautiful. There is so much going on on the page if you don't look closely you will miss things.
Jess
A good story--both for a group and one-on-one for the detailed illustrations--in large portion because the kids are in on the joke. They loved watching Treva fool the trolls.

Lisa
About a girl and her dog that go hiking up a snowy mountain only to come into contact with several trolls along the way. She outsmarts them every time. Great illustrations!
  • Scary, Scary Halloween
  • The Rainbabies
  • Dream Snow
  • Planes Board Book
  • If the Dinosaurs Came Back
With over thirty three million books in print, Jan Brett is one of the nation's foremost author illustrators of children's books. Jan lives in a seacoast town in Massachusetts, close to where she grew up. During the summer her family moves to a home in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts.
As a child, Jan Brett decided to be an illustrator and spent many hours reading and drawing. She says, "I reme...more
More about Jan Brett...
The Mitten The Hat The Wild Christmas Reindeer Gingerbread Baby Town Mouse, Country Mouse