An Accidental American: A Novel (Mortalis)

An Accidental American: A Novel (Mortalis)

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Part French, part Lebanese, part American, and a master forger, Nicole Blake has experienced enough danger and excitement to last her several lifetimes ... After a six-year stint in a dank prison in Marseille, Nicole has relinquished the world of counterfeiting for an unassuming life. But when US intelligence operative John Valsamis shows up at her door, Nicole is reminded...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2007)

Debbi Mack
Some genres are automatically associated with certain authors. If I say "tough private eye novel," several names might come to mind--Raymond Chandler, Robert Parker, Dashiell Hammett or Sara Paretsky, to name a few. If I say "Western," you might think of Zane Grey or Louis L'Amour. But if I say "spy novel," most people are bound to think of one author in particular--John LeCarre. (Ian Fleming doesn't count--he wrote adventure/fantasy novels with a spy protagonist, not the complex works infused w...more
Margo Solod
alex carr is a nom de plume of jenny siler.
so far i like jenny siler better, but then i am less than a quarter through this book.

ok, i am finished. i wish there was something between 3 stars and 4. i wanted to really like this book. it has siler's trademark excellent and exhaustive research, there is not a wrong turn on a single street, if siler(carr) says there's a bar with a blue parrot on x street, there is. in this book, as in her others, she has captured the feel, the sights, even the smell...more
Bill Keefe
This was an unenjoyable book. Thin characters, rushed descriptions of locations that don't really set a tone or a mood. Constant flashbacks to a Lebanon she doesn't know and a family that seemed real but again distant or lifeless. Even the main characters were not clearly defined.

Add to that that the main drama of the story was one of a criminal blackmailing another criminal on a flimsy piece of "evidence" that was ultimately an inconsequential non-event into the build-up to the Iraq war and you...more
Julie
This thriller oodles of intrigue set in Lisbon, the gorgeous French Pyrenees & Beirut, but it's no ordinary mystery-adventure. THe protagonist is a beautiful, bitter and lonely ex-con who has sworn off a life of crime to raise chickens on a farm in southern France (yes, living my fantasty, except for the ex-con bit...). It's gritty, smart & razor sharp- taking surprising directions. I am full of admiration for writer Alex Carr and have set sights on her latest: THe Prince of Bagram Priso...more
Melanie Titus
I wasn't a fan of this book. It was difficult to follow, with the changing locations and timeline and people - without really explaining who was talking at what point. It had a neat sort of plot line and was well thought out but it was a little boring. There was a lot of historical type background information but it wasn't very interesting because you don't know what is fabrication. Perhaps if you enjoy historical thrillers this book would suit you.
Emily
OK for a spy book if the author did not interject conspiracy laden personal views that may have validity, but appear as ill conceived musings by a disgruntled citizen. Character development is poor, appearing as an afterthought. After all the disconjointed background, the main character appeared just dumb, as opposed to representing even an anti-hero, let alone someone in whom you could empathize.
Steve
This is an espionage thriller that is rich in description and characterization. We see cities such as Lisbon and Beirut vividly, and we get a few political lessons too. The protagonist must locate a former lover or give up her life of isolation in France. Her decisions and interactions with a number of intriguing characters, provide a tight plot that will keep you reading all the way through.
Krista
Met the author July 11 in Boothbay, Maine at the Books & Blooms event. She was nice. Alex Carr is her pen name. The book was a quick read. The book is a thriller, written with recent current events as a background. The novel takes place mostly in Lisbon, with flashbacks to Beirut. The 1983 bombing of the US Embassy in Beirut plays a major part of this novel.
Blair Erotica
The prose is what makes this story work. Carr does an amazing job of shifting the point of view around to give you angles on the story while keeping it from getting hopelessly confused. Nicole comes across as a believable and sympathetic character and the setting comes alive.
Amy
Good spy novel about America's involvement in the middle east, and the bombing of the American embassy in Beirut.
The one drawback is all the flashbacks -- it was sometimes hard to keep track of the time frame.
First novel I've read by this author. I wasn't satisfied with the resolution and I was put off by the maudlin sentimentality, but I'd take a chance and read something by her again, if it got good reviews.
jonathan labozzetta
Aug 29, 2007 jonathan labozzetta rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: conspiracy theorists, junkies
I'm only half way through, so it's too early to write a review. I know that some reviewers only read the dust jacket when they write in the TIMES, but I can't call it. Give me a few more days....
Desertgirl_2
Loved this! OK, not as good as the books published under her other name of Jenny Siler, but still a great story. Strong female lead, with such an unusual (and scary) setting.
Kim
Quick read, definitely held my interest but wouldn't say it had a huge wow factor.
Kathleen
An Accidental American: A Novel (Mortalis) by Alex Carr (2007)
Dgoll
This was a very good, very intersting espionage novel.
Marilee
not as compelling as I thought it would be
'stina
(given to me by mama on 3/6/09)
Bierka
Bierka marked it as to-read
Jodi Witherell
Jodi Witherell marked it as to-read
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Charlieclaywell
Charlieclaywell is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2014
Leeanne
Leeanne marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Rich
Rich added it
May 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Alex Carr is a pseudonym of writer Jenny Siler.
More about Alex Carr...