Start by marking “The Giant Hug” as Want to Read:
The Giant Hug

The Giant Hug

How do you give your granny a hug when she lives far away? Send it through the mail, of course!

Owen’s hug travels across the country in a series of hilarious, sometimes awkward, always heartfelt embraces between animals of different shapes and sizes. Valeri Gorbachev’s adorable artwork pairs beautifully with Sandra Horning’s charming text, and makes for a fun, funny, and
Published January 11th 2005 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Giant Hug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Giant Hug

Alyce Dougan
Apr 28, 2011 Alyce Dougan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book, family
I loved this book. Pig sends his Grandma a hug through the mail for her birthday. Throughout the story it shows the hug being passed along. When Grandma gets it guess what she sends back! A kiss! At the end of the story you see pig with red lip stick on his cheek. The storyline in this book was charming and sweet. I liked how the story talked about the process of how mail is sent. Teacher and parents could read this story to their child before letting a child write a letter.
Keeko
May 14, 2013 Keeko rated it it was amazing
This is everything a children's book should be. I love the good heartedness and sweet humor of it, and I admire the author and illustrator for creating such a nice story without being sappy. I guess that means they are both kind and talented. I found this by chance on display at the library, and I'm going to look for more of their books. This one's a treasure.
Jun 09, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is so darn cute! A boy wants to send a REAL hug to his grandmother through the mail. So, as the envelope makes its way through the various stages in the system, the hug is transferred from person to person. Each hug brightens someone's day. Great concept, charming illustrations.
Kate Copeseeley
Jan 21, 2014 Kate Copeseeley rated it it was amazing
This book was adorable and it even made me tear up in the end. Simply delightful.
Caroline Kohring
Feb 13, 2017 Caroline Kohring rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Summary: The Giant Hug is a story about a young pig named Owen who wishes to send his Granny a hug through the mail. He is adamant about sending a real hug to his Granny, not just a picture of himself hugging his Granny, as his mother suggested. Owen gives a giant hug to the man at the post office, and the hug travels from mail sorters, pilots, truck drivers, and mail men all the way to Owen's Granny. In the end, Owen's Granny sends a wet, sloppy kiss right back to Owen through the mail.
Star Rat
Jenna Pennington
Feb 21, 2017 Jenna Pennington rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
I really loved this book! When I picked this book off the shelf and I looked at it, I knew that it would be one of those comforting books that make me smile. The book did exactly that! This book has a wonderful story to it and life lesson. The grandson wants the big hug to reach his grandma and so they pass the hug on until it reaches her. The books talk about how it made the animals happy to just receive a hug. One animal even said this wasn't his type of thing to give people hugs but he did it ...more
Ann Marie Denson
Feb 08, 2017 Ann Marie Denson rated it really liked it
Theme: This story embodies a theme of kindness and love.

Summary: Sweet Owen did not want to send his Granny any old birthday card in the mail. He wanted to send her a real, big hug! Owen started the chain of hugs with the mailman behind the counter at the post office, and instructed him to pass it along all the way to Granny. Hugs passed from acquaintance to acquaintance, stranger to stranger, and mailman to Granny. Days were made and joy abounded from the simple act of kindness Owen took to ma
William Herschel
Owen wants to send a hug to his grandmother, so when he and his mother get to the post office he hugs the "person" behind the counter and this produces a chain reaction-- he giving the hug (by hugging) the mail sorter, and so on and so on until it gets to granny.

The reason "person" is in quotations is because in the pictures, all of the characters are different animals. I liked the pictures. I liked how it shows you how many people are involved in delivering something as simple as a letter (or i
Mandy Scheuren
Apr 14, 2010 Mandy Scheuren added it
Shelves: pb-1
Sandra Horning tells a story many children would love. A pig by the name of Owen is asked by his mother what he would like to give his Granny for her birthday. All Owen wanted to give her was a BIG hug! He didn’t want to draw her a hug, he really wanted to give her a hug so he hugs the postman and asks him to hug his Granny. The postman tells him he will not be the one giving the mail directly to his Granny but he would pass the hug along. Throughout the story the hug is passed on to several mai ...more
Kate Perry
Jan 27, 2014 Kate Perry rated it it was amazing
A little boy wants to send a hug to his grandmother for her birthday. Instead of drawing a picture of himself with his arms wide open in the card he insists that he sends the hug through the mail. He starts off by giving a giant hug to the mail clerk at his post office and asks that he pass along. The giant hug is passed along at every step of the delivery til finally it reaches Granny. I like the artwork that was done in this book because it used many different animals in all shapes, sizes and ...more
Erin
Aug 26, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
This book! Oh, my! As a kid's book, it's great. A little piglet wants to send his granny a big hug for her birthday. He gives one to the postman who gives a hug to the sorter who gives a hug to the delivery truck guy who gives a hug to the plane pilot and on and on until it gets to granny. Cute, right? Unless you're thinking about it as an adult. Sexual harassment at work but not, because it's for a piglet and granny. It gets even more risque when Granny sends a big, fat kiss back to him!

Good fo
Katie Bathke
Oct 06, 2009 Katie Bathke rated it liked it
The book The Giant Hug has really good peri-text pages. Inside the front cover is the authors note and the author kind of hints at what the story is about but doesn’t come right out and says it. Then the next inside pages have stamps on them. It gives the reader a hint that the book has to deal with something with stamps and something with hugs. Then the title page has a picture of a letter being sent to a granny from Owen Kane. It is basically telling us what the characters in the book are name ...more
Linda
Jun 23, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
This is the cutest book! A little boy pig wants to send a real hug to his Granny for her birthday, and thus begins the whole process of sending it, via the mail clerk, the sorter, the airline pilot, and so on. Each one who handles the mail is a different animal, but the process does show every step that happens to our mail. And the hugs please everyone, sending good feelings all along the route! The illustrations remind me of the Little Bear books, and there’s a fun surprise at the end.
Omar Guzman
Jul 01, 2014 Omar Guzman rated it really liked it
I think this story is very nice, because this pig travels all across the world just to give his grandmother a big hug for her birthday. It's always good to go out or go outside the box for your grandparents. They've done so much for you when your parents are out. they take care of you as well.This is at really nice pig for all the things he had done for his grandma. This big book has soft water color sketches for the illustrations.
Lorna
Jun 24, 2013 Lorna rated it liked it
Recommended to Lorna by: Linda
Cute story about a young piglet named Owen who wants to send his grandma a hug through the mail. The hug is transfered from postal work to postal work until it eventually finds Grandma. Cute sentiment and great one to use if talking about the postal system with younger kids as it goes through the processing and routing process mail takes in longer "journeys".
Kristy Schwertfeger
Aw this book is so sweet. It is about a little boy wanting to send his granny a hug for her birthday. So he goes to the post office and hugs the post office worker and tells them he is sending that to his granny. The hug is sent to many different people before it gets to his granny. Then his granny sends a kiss back. I just love that people hugged each just to send a hug. so sweet.
Vicki
A unique way to share a hug is told in this book-loved it! The illustrations are similar to the Richard Scarry books. This book is over sized which makes it a good read aloud so all may see the pictures. I feel the content makes it reach at least a kindergarten age as a group read, maybe with a one on one session, a younger child could enjoy this book.
Mandy J. Hoffman
Jul 31, 2009 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Take a look! This book gets a 5 star rating!

I really enjoyed the story line and reading it to my children. When Owen decides to send a hug to his Grandmother he does not realize how it touches the lives of others, too. A very sweet story with a fantastic lesson to it as well as more great illustrations by Valeri Gorbachev.
Arionne Mccray
Jun 23, 2014 Arionne Mccray rated it liked it
I think this story is very cute, because this pig travels all across the world just to give his grandma a big hug for her birthday. its always good to go out or go outside the box for your grandparents they because they've done so much for you when your parents are out. they take care of you as well.
Jenna Arntz
Sep 22, 2015 Jenna Arntz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This was an adorable book. The little pig wanted to send his granny a big hug for her birthday. So he went to the post office and mailed his hug. The hug was passed on to many people until it finally reached granny. I think think that kindergarten and first grade students would really enjoy this story. Also, the illustrations in this book are wonderful.
Heidi-Marie
Fantastic! Another recommendation from Julie for grandparent Book Time. Really, really cute and I think that would appeal to the younger kids. And the older kids could follow the mail system goings-on. The pictures are cute. I really liked it. I would hope the children would, too. If I have time to include it, then I guess I will see.
Barbara
Jul 25, 2008 Barbara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: PreSchool - Gr 2
This is very cute! Owen wants to send a giant hug to his granny - a real hug, not a letter. Funny, sweet scenes follow as the postal workers pass the hug around the world... and then Granny sends back a kiss...
Keyilah Lacy
Jul 02, 2014 Keyilah Lacy rated it really liked it
this book is good for children under the age of 7 years old. this book is so cute I reconment this book for second graders. I like this book to be honest its about a grandson who wants to give him gramdma a big giant hug for he birthday. so he sent it all they way to her threw the mail
Claire
Oct 04, 2009 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: youngsters and read alouds
A piglet wants to send a giant hug in the mail- not a note- a hug. This amusing tale sends love across the country. Funny and fun. Kids love the story.
teachers could slip it into their units about mail. You won't find a more engaging book that will follow the mail.
Bethe
Mar 27, 2013 Bethe rated it really liked it
love this animal story about a boy and his grandma. have used it for sequencing, logic problem solving, and inferencing. kids also like to chime in and open their arms/hug themselves for the "giant hug" which repeats many times.
Beth
Dec 20, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs a little cheering up
Recommended to Beth by: Found it in my shipment of new books at the library
Shelves: picture-books
This is one of the sweetest, most adorable picture books I've ever had the pleasure of reading. A child sending a hug to grandma through the mail is a great concept, and the animals who stand in as postal workers are so sweetly illustrated. This is now one of my very favorite books.
Erin
Read to First Grade, as part of our discussion of community helpers. In this story, Owen sends a hug through the mail to his grandmother, since mail travels through the hands of several people, there are many hugs to be had for the postal workers. Kids thought all the hugging was very funny.
Christine Rocha
Jun 24, 2014 Christine Rocha rated it it was amazing
this books is great. Its about a boy named Owen and for granny's birthday he wants to give her a big hug. So big hugs go all around until it goes to granny. Its pretty adorable. Once it goes to granny she sends back a big kiss.
Victor Marquez
Jun 24, 2014 Victor Marquez rated it it was amazing
This book has colorful pictures it is great book. It is nice how the hug has to travel all the way to his grandma. Everybody is hugging to get the hug all the way to his grandmother that is nice. So peoples grandparents live far so its hard to give them a hug.
Holly Thompson
May 16, 2012 Holly Thompson rated it really liked it
I cannot imagine hugging my postman, but wouldn't it be cool to send someone a hug and know it really got there? It is also nice to think about how nice it is to hug people you work with at school. Hugs make everyday a little better.
  • Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball
  • Fast Food
  • Beware of the Frog
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!
  • Hilda Must Be Dancing
  • A Good Day
  • A Bedtime for Bear (Bear and Mouse)
  • The Kiss That Missed
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
  • Kindergators: Hands Off, Harry!
  • On Mother's Lap
  • One of Each
  • Trashy Town
  • Spike, the Mixed-up Monster
  • Burger Boy
  • How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?
  • RRRalph
  • Millie Waits for the Mail (Millie's Misadventures)