The Berenstain Bears Go To School

The Berenstain Bears Go To School (The Berenstain Bears)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  5,340 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Illus. in full color. A sympathetic story about Sister Bear, who conquers her fear of starting kindergarten.
Published October 27th 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published July 1st 1978)

Alexandra Welsh
This story begins with the summer season ending and Brother and Sister Bear getting ready to go back to school. Sister Bear is beginning kindergarten and she wonders what school will be like. Mama Bear takes Sister to school to meet her teacher, Miss Honeybear. She hears about fun things she will do. Then it is time for the first day of school and Sister is a little hesitant about going. Sister meets her classmates and participates in many activities. At the end, she realizes that school is fun!...more
Bridget Cabbiness
“The Berenstain Bears Go to School” by Stan and Jan Berenstain, is a picture book for children in the Nursery age group, ranging from birth to five years old. In this Berenstain adventure sister bear is nervous about starting school, but comes to find out she actually has fun in Kindergarten and enjoys going. I personally loved the Berenstain Bears as a child, I believe all their books have positive themes and deal with topics that children around that age are going through. In this book in part...more
Tori Walker
We got a series of Berenstain Bear books as a shower gift when William was born, but didn't pull them out till he was about 18 months old. They were a surprise hit with him. This has been his favourite book for a long time (only recently replaced by 'Big Dog, Little Dog' by P.D Eastman). He enjoyed all of his Berenstain Bear books, but he usually asked for "Da Bears, School bus in it" the most. It has a great rhythm and fun imagery, but the mark of a good children's book is that it is also enjoy...more
Megan
Genre: Picture Book
Audience: K-4th
Topic: Going to School
Theme: Learning is fun
Curricular Uses: Read Aloud, Independent Reading
Reading Level: Late Transitional
Literary Elements: Dialogue, Repetition, Rhyme
Illustrations: Detailed illustrations support the text and help express the emotions of the characters. Helpful to readers because of the long texts on each page.
These books always send great messages to young readers. There is always a moral on the first page of the book that rhymes. Would...more
~~lindsey~~
Love this one. Is great to read to kiddos going into kindergarten.
Erica
Sister's first days at school.
Julia
classroom library
-in my own personal library as a child
Vichida
I think that this book was a fun book.At first sister bear didn't wan't to go to third grade,because somebody teased her that third grade was very hard.So mama bear told her that,"At first you didn't wan't to go to kindergarten too,but then you tried to go there and you loved it.You met a new friend too."So sister bear said,"OK' I will try ."Then sister bear tried grade 3 and she loved it. She told her mom it was a little bit hard,but I still loved it.I saw Lizzy too.Then papa bear made apple pi...more
Connie
Sister Bear is nervous about school when Brother mentions that he wishes summer vacation would just be over already. (That is *so* unrealistic.)

But her mother takes her to meet her new kindergarten teacher, and that goes all right. Then we get a quick review of Sister's first day of school, including the various things a child might do in kindergarten, and finally we see that she's excited about school.

This book would do well to calm a nervous child going off to school for the first time.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
★★★★★The Berenstain Bears Go to School by Stan and Jan Berenstain
The summer is winding down, the leaves begin to change, and the wind has a chill, it's time to start school. This is Sister's big year, kindergarten, yikes! Meet the teacher goes well, and she calms down. But today is the first day, and the worries are back. Until she realizes, there is nothing to be worry about, school is fun.
This is a nice story to help reassure kids, that change can be fun.
Isaac
I feel that this book is a wonderful introduction to school for a child who will soon be attending school for the first time. The story focuses on beginning school for the first time and having doubts about the changes that it brings. Throughout the story the book as well as the corresponding illustrations help paint a picture of what going to school is like, and what a good experience it can be.
Jenna Spinazzola
genre: picture book

audience: k - 4th

topic: going to school

theme: learning is fun!

curricular uses: read aloud, independent reading

reading level: late transitional

literary elements: dialogue, repetition, rhyme

illustrations: support the text, cute and creative, help express the emotions of the character, also helpful to the reader because there are many words to one page.
Shelli
Its that time of year again when summer ends and school begins. Sister Bear is rather nervous to start school for the very first time. This is a great book to read with small children before they begin their educational journey. Maybe it will help answer some of their own questions and concerns about leaving the comfort of home and their normal routine.
Nickie
Oct 07, 2012 Nickie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Children, Educators.
This book is an excellent depiction of the fears one may have in beginning their educational career. Through Sister Bear's experience children can develop of understanding of what it is like to enter kindergarten, and too feel at ease knowing that it is natural to feel a broad range of emotions upon trying something new.
Dolly
Jul 15, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a great story to read to children who are getting ready to start school. It shows sister bear preparing for Kindergarten. She's a bit anxious and isn't sure that she will like it. But after an orientation visit to the school and the reassurances of her family and teacher, she learns that school is fun!
Hope Johnson
This is a wonderful book for the first day of kindergarten for students. It teaches not to be afraid and that school is really fun. It will help kids with nervousness. Also, it would be a great ice breaker for them to talk about what they did over summer vacation because that is how the book opens up.
Marissa Gunter
I grew up reading these books, and I think they are great for young children. They can teach lessons, and kids can relate to them. In this specific story, Sister Bear is afraid to start kindergarten. The book shows you how she changes her mind and ends up liking school more than even her brother.
Katie Roberts
Sister Bear conquers her fear of the first day of Kindergarten with the help and support of her family. It is a universal story for almost every child because the first day of school can always be scary. But with the help of family and other supporters, you can get through it.
Angela Rowland
This book series is about a family of bears called the Berenstain's who have two children a son and a daughter. This particular book is about when the two children go to school on their first day and all the great and not so great things that happen. Very fun illustrations!
Sarah Winters
Another older book that students can relate to but with pictures that are really the main focus. This story has less writing on each page which makes it a little more manageable for younger students. Recommended for first to fourth graders.
Philip
This was one of my favorite Berenstain Bears books as a kid. It was fun to read it to Eleanor, although I think she likes "Too Much Birthday" more right now.

I've always thought that brother bear was lying at the end of the book.
Olivia Bailey
This is a good book to read in kindergarten during the 1st few weeks of school. The students can relate to the emotions that sister bear feels.
Students will learn about all the things that they will learn in my classroom.
Suzanne
Aug 30, 2007 Suzanne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Preschool/Kindergarten
Shelves: picture-books
My daughter loves this book! We read it almost every night. Maybe because she is gearing up for PreKindergarten next week. Regardless, you can always count on the Berenstain Bears to guide you through life.
Stacey
This book can be read to the younger grades in the first day of school. It can also be used when a student needs to conquer their fears, just like sister bear did on their first day of kindergarten.
Jessica
Berenstain's series of the Berenstain Bears Go to ... is well-done, easy to read to children, not too terribly preachy and the wonderful illustrations that appeal to children.
Lisa
Picture Book 22
When looking for books to read for the first week of school, this will be on the list. This would help the students face their fears of school.
This was published just in time for my first day of kindergarten so it was very exciting to read about school in anticipation of my own first day.
Eric
Read this one to Ella tonight and talked about her going to Kindergarten someday like Sister Bear. She thinks she'd like that quite a bit.
Eastofoz
Cute story about some of the anxieties that the little girl experiences starting Kindergarten for the first time.
  • Just Me and My Puppy (Little Critter)
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Curious George Flies a Kite
  • Clifford The Firehouse Dog
  • Curious George Learns the Alphabet
  • Franklin Goes to School
  • Trick or Treat, Little Critter (Little Critter)
More about Stan Berenstain...
The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room The Berenstain Bears' Trouble at School Inside, Outside, Upside Down The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV