Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease

Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Dr. Dean Ornish is the first clinician to offer documented proof that heart disease can be halted, or even reversed, simply by changing your lifestyle. Based on his internationally acclaimed scientific study, which has now been ongoing for years, Dr. Ornish's program has yielded amazing results. Participants reduced or discontinued medications; their chest pain diminished...more
Published December 30th 1995 by Ivy Books (first published 1990)

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease

Cynthia McCrain
I highly recommend this book for anyone who has heart disease or is wanting to prevent heart disease. When my husband had two blocked arteries and needed a bypass, we were in shock. When, a year later, another artery became severely blocked and he had to have a stent placed, we realized this problem wasn't going away. We bought this book and began following Dr. Ornish's plan. After a few months, my husband's cholesterol had drastically changed -- 125 for his total cholesterol -- 51 for LDL. Wow!...more
Kathrynn
A lot of helpful information was packed in this whopping 631 page paperback. Unfortunately, I felt I had to do a great deal of sifting through justifications/ explanations, and the author wrote too much about his personal life and experiences when I just wanted to get to the "meat" of the book. Cut all that out and this would have been a 5 star. The Foreword was nearly 20 pages! Good grief. Just the facts, please and put the reins on the personal stories.

The author mentioned that he wanted the b...more
Jim
Mar 28, 2008 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with diet and health issues
Recommended to Jim by: my doctor
Reversing Heart Disease means no meat, no fat or oil, no milk, cheese or egg yokes. If you are willing to do this you will fortify yourself against heart disease. Following his regimen, I lost about 40 pounds and got my cholesterol in the normal range without drugs. He also discusses the benefits of exercise and relationships. Those following his recommendations will be blessed with good health and save a great deal of money because there will be fewer drug bills and doctor visits.
Angela
Jan 18, 2008 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone, especially people at risk for heart disease
Recommended to Angela by: it was on a bookshelf
There's a reversal diet and a prevention diet. Dean Ornish ties in the wisdom of the ages with the scientific method of modern medicine. He writes with compassion and passion about the way he's found that people can improve their health and happiness when they're at severe, moderate, or no risk for heart disease. His way is remarkably similar to "The Way": live simply, eat simply, and manage stress, partly by erasing the petty cares in your life.

This is more difficult than it sounds, and many pe...more
Terri
Even if you don't have heart disease, and even if you disagree with his program of low fat, vegetarian fare, this book is a good read. There is a lot of thought provoking information, and some very helpful advice about opening our hearts and lives to physical and spiritual healing. The stories of changed lives are fascinating, none the less so is Dr. Ornish's own story of his struggle with low self worth and depression, told with such honesty and humility. It seems like a weird book to be hangin...more
Laine
Here's a tantalizing thought -- a BMI of 18. Can I do it? is this the way? could it happen? could I follow through on this without excessive suffering?

I must say, while reading this fascinating (text) book, I was filled with cravings for red meat (rare) and ice cream (creamy and delicious) in anticipation of these foods never again being part of my life. Ha ha

While the program is severe, the recipes appear delicious and for real foodies. Very much worth a try.
Sharon
Learned how to think, breathe, inter-relate, eat, and exercise in the best interest of my heart health. This is a book I keep on my shelf and I read it from time to time when I need to remember what matters (and what doesn't matter) for my heart's health. Get ready to read real science. Get ready to read that you need to stretch and meditate. Get ready to believe that you are capable of taking care of your heart.
Debra Daniels-zeller
This book is filled with great information about reversing heart disease but the no fat diet-- total elimination--is a little brutal. Still the information is useful in making lifestyle changes. Sometimes the text was boring, too many personal stories. Get to the point. The book could have been shorter. I loved the recipes, which come from various well known chefs, and I' ll definitely be using them again and again.
Eileen
Written 20 years ago, this is still the best diet and exercise book for those suffering from heart disease or high risk people wanting to prevent heart disease. Dr. Ornish has written more recent books that contain updated information on drug therapy and medical and surgical intervention, but for the basics on life-style changes this is fine.
Richard
Dean Ornish proved first that you can reverse heart disease by adopting a healthier lifestyle. This includes choosing to eat healthier foods, exercise more often, and incorporating meditation in your daily life.

This book first uncovered the idea that we don't need open-heart surgery to survive heart disease.
Lindy
Dr. Ornish's program helped me feel a lot more informed about the causes and prevention of heart disease. I also believe his premise that heart disease can be reversed, and have used some of his recipes in making changes to my family's diet.
Wendy
I've decided not to finish this book. It's too boring.

Here's what I've gathered from the book: if you want a heart-healthy lifestyle reduce the fats in your diet, de-stress your life through meditation/yoga, and exercise.
James
I did not read through the recipes, but did read the rest. This has lots of interesting information on heart disease and diet, and lifestyle. I expect to make some dietary changes as a result of reading this book.
Stace
My husband had a quadruple bypass at 39. He's tall and skinny, but his body overproduces cholesterol. I followed this book for about 3 months, but my husband's cardiologist didn't back me up on it.
Tom Ratliff
OK, any program promising the hope of reversing coronary blockages sends chills down my spine...it helped convert me to vegan...just have to start meditating and hope for the best.
Lartemis
This is my go-to book for keeping heart disease at bay.
I'll mark it finished, but it is a reference book for me...I'm never finished.
Luis
Very good compliment to the China Study with practical advice, menus and testiominal evidence of the power of this type of diet.
Sabrena
I wholeheartedly recommend this book for anyone and everyone. Very informative.
Avis Brown
Sometime hard to get through all the information - but in the end a very inspiring book.
Fred
Jul 17, 2012 Fred added it
I had to read it twice to get the full effect and to fully understand it
Margaret
i'm doing most of this already and i still have problems
Jessica
Encouragement to keep doing what we are doing.
Danny
Mar 27, 2011 Danny added it
Simply excellent
Laxman Gangan
Laxman Gangan marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Meg
Meg added it
Aug 30, 2014
Heart disease doesn't have to be a death sentence 1 3 Jan 31, 2008 11:45AM
The Spectrum: A Scientifically Proven Program to Feel Better, Live Longer, Lose Weight, and Gain Health Eat More, Weigh Less: Dr. Dean Ornish's Life Choice Program for Losing Weight Safely While Eating Abundantly Love and Survival: The Scientific Basis for the Healing Power of Intimacy Everyday Cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish Stress, Diet and Your Heart: A Lifetime Program for Healing Your Heart Without Drugs or Surgery

“Well, if you wake up intending to murder someone at two o'clock, you hardly think what you're going to feed the corpse for dinner.” 4 likes