Confession of Saint Patrick

Confession of Saint Patrick

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The autobiography of one of the most popular saints in history, now available in a new translation.

Beyond being recognized as the patron saint of Ireland (perhaps for having chased some nonexistent snakes off the Emerald Isle), little else is popularly known about Saint Patrick.And yet, Patrick left behind a unique document, his Confession, which tells us much about both h...more
Published December 1st 2010 by Image (first published January 1st 425)

To ask other readers questions about Confession of Saint Patrick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confession of Saint Patrick

Katie
It's very cool that this text survived, and that we can get a (small) glimpse at the actual words and life of the real Patrick, who at this point is pretty distantly removed from his day of parades and four-leaf-clovers and lots and lots of beer.

It's still hard to figure out exactly who Patrick was (as we only see things from his side), but it's a great glimpse at a missionary who seems to have been very effective at his job, frequently to the annoyance of those around him. Patrick, who was ens...more
Richard Duncan
A very short book with encouraging reflections from a dynamic Missional Leader.

St Patrick shows a great heart to return to and to reach out to evangelize and plant missional communities on an island (Ireland) where was once held as a slave.

St. Patrick had a deep, abiding love for Christ, His Word, and the Kingdom. I was inspired by many of his words.

For example, he wrote, "I know for certain, that before I was humbled I was like a stone lying in deep mire, and he that is mighty came and in hi...more
Christian Proano
Short book 74 pages only, about 26 in Legal paper for pdf. The introduction alone is half book, excellent historical and critical analysis, one gets good context out of it. Comments from the author are distinctively protestant.

Confessions itself really deserve a 5 star, insightful and reflective, showing what was going on to God's servant while in ministry and at the end of his life.

A must read.
Brad Belschner
Mar 29, 2010 Brad Belschner marked it as to-read-eventually  ·  review of another edition
Yes, that's right folks, St Patrick's autobiography. Available free online here: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/patrick/conf...
David Mosley
Read in the following years:
2007
2009
2013 (17 March)
anna
This book is great on two levels, first as a spiritual classic and secondly, though perhaps surprisingly as a Historical source.

Patrick's spiritual journey and insights are both fascinating and challenging, and the information he gives on the governing and ecclesiastical authorities in post-roman Britain hardly suggest a society that was in terminal decline.

The Confession also shows that Christianity was well established in the 5th century, and that British Chrisitians of the period had far mor...more
Petros
I loved this book, in so far as the translation of the actual text by Saint Patrick is concerned. It is a first class historical document, and also more than that - the private thoughts of a man of rare legendary stature.

I didn't care for all of the editor's personal thoughts that ran on a while before the actual Patrician document appears. I would suggest getting right into the words of Patrick, and hearing him rather than the apologetics of a modern viewpoint speculating from outside the super...more
Evan Hays
I enjoyed reading this very much, and I would recommend it to anyone. It is not long, and is freely available online. In addition to it being a great historical resource (for example, there is a very interesting parallel to the Nicene Creed in Patrick's introduction; after all, the main councils had happened within the last 75 years or so of when Patrick was writing), they are very interesting as theology and devotional. Patrick is writing near the end of his life to defend himself against sland...more
Ben
Since I am not celebrating Saint Patrick's day this year by watching Darby O'Gill and the Little People, I read Saint Patrick's autobiography instead. It was much more interesting than I thought it would be, although there is nothing about chasing snakes from Ireland. Extremely quick read.
Seth
The description on Amazon says this book includes the Letter to Coroticus. In fact there is no such letter in the book. I know the book only costs 99 cents. I just think if an ebook is supposed to contain something which is really missing, then the seller is making a false claim. I feel like I got only part of what I was promised when I purchased the ebook, and now, due to the nature of ebooks, there is no way to get a refund or even partial refund.
Joel Travis
I stumbled upon this on the eve of St Patricks day after returning from Boston festivities. I was blown way by his story and read it cover to cover (Google Book) that night. He was soverignly led by God in many ways throuh his life and it was his obedience that made all the difference. He was bold but submitted to the call on his life. There is a recent translation released by the Royal Irish Academy for free which I highly recommend.
Paulist Press
Pure and simple, this is essential for anyone interested in learning about St. Patrick. The introduction by John O'Donohue (thoughtful and well-written, not surprisingly) is helpful setting forward the essential spiritual elements.
Pat Loughery
Patrick's autobiographical letter near the end of his life in defense of unnamed charges against him. One of only two (Letter to Coroticus) original works. Invaluable for understanding the person behind the legends.
Leslie
I liked reading this. It was good to hear St. Patrick talk about his burden for Ireland. He was a very humble man and he knew his bible.

I loved the lorica at the end.

I can't wait to meet him in heaven.
Linda
Sep 14, 2008 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to understand this Saint and his passion for people.
Recommended to Linda by: I found it on my own.
Shelves: people
Patrick was a phenomenal man. As a young man, he was enslaved in Ireland and was able to escape - only to return to the country that enslaved him to help the poor and struggling survive life.
Paul
While this was a very short read it was good. It was cool to read about a guy who was willing to give up everything for something and Someone he believed in. Good stuff!
Daniel Alvers
I am surprised to find this level of devotion in this kind of reading. Check this out!
John F.
John F. is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Sandra Aponte
Sandra Aponte marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Luka Neustroeva
Luka Neustroeva marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Aleksandr
Aleksandr marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
  • The Poems of St. John of the Cross
  • The Cloud of Unknowing: and The Book of Privy Counseling
  • The Life of Saint Teresa of Ávila by Herself
  • Fire within: Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross and the Gospel - On Prayer
  • The History and Topography of Ireland
  • The Sayings of the Desert Fathers: The Alphabetical Collection (Cistercian studies 59)
  • Revelations of Divine Love
  • The Christian Tradition 1: The Emergence of the Catholic Tradition 100-600
  • On the Apostolic Preaching
  • Catherine of Siena
  • Listening for the Heartbeat of God: A Celtic Spirtuality
  • The Theology of the Body: Human Love in the Divine Plan (Parish Resources)
Saint Patrick (Latin: Patricius; Primitive Irish: *Qatrikias; Old Irish: Cothraige or Coithrige; Middle Irish: Pátraic; Irish: Pádraig; British: *Patrikios; Old Welsh: Patric; Middle Welsh: Padric; Welsh: Padrig; Old English: Patric; c. 387 – 17 March, 493) was a Romano-Briton and Christian missionary, who is the most generally recognized patron saint of Ireland (although Brigid of Kildare and Col...more
More about St. Patrick...
The Confession of Saint Patrick (Confessions of St. Patrick): With the Tripartite Life, and Epistle to the Soldiers of Coroticus (Aziloth Books) Letter to the Soldiers of Coroticus Patrick: In His Own Words The Most Ancient Lives of Saint Patrick: Including the Life by Jocelin Hitherto Unpublished in America, and His Extant Writings St. Patrick, His Writings And Muirchu's Life