Start by marking “30 Pieces of Silver (Betrayed, #1)” as Want to Read:
30 Pieces of Silver (Betrayed, #1)

30 Pieces of Silver (Betrayed #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  2,274 ratings  ·  426 reviews
A Christian suicide bomber. John the Baptist's bones inscribed in ancient Greek. A dark secret carried from the foot of the crucifixion. Can science solve the world's greatest mystery?
Published December 27th 2010 by Off Our Meds MultiMedia (first published December 11th 2010)

Virginia
Wow, I gave a book only one star- yet I read the whole book! I didn't like the book, but it had nothing to do with the advertised controversial view on biblical history. I didn't like the book because it was not believable in the actions taking place. The action was so outrageous it was not believable. Not even for an author to take some literary license, yet this one took out the licensing bureau!

I was in the military and I have lived overseas. There are gun battles with this book, explosions,...more
Aruna
I didn't finish this book because it was awful. Not only did the authors editor screw her over by not sending the book back for a rewrite or fixing the horrendous grammatical and spelling erros, but the author also fails to bring anything to the table besides trite cliches and ignorance about many topics in the book. She fails to understand physics (and by that I mean the laws of nature as well as the way that bombs explode) and language (languages that include "clicks" are pretty much only Swah...more
Sharon Jones
I recently purchased this book as I was intriged by the plot. I found a comment:
"From the opening explosion at the base of the Eiffel Tower uncovering a trove of skeletons to the final scenes throughout Italy, the story involves a search for the remains of Jesus. Rebecca Monroe is "saved" from the clutches of a snake by Sgt. Brandt and his special ops team deep in the Ecuadorian jungle... This begins a roller coaster ride ....

I started the book hoping to enjoy it as much as I did Dan Brown's nov...more
Ron
Ridiculous. Someone has devised a plot sillier than Dan Brown's and told it in comic book fashion but with no credibility at all.

Verisimilitude. That's what makes stories work. Whether science fiction, romance, thriller or western, there is an unwritten contract between author and reader that, at some level, the story makes sense. This one does not. I can't believe I read the whole thing.

I noted two pages of errors. Some of which are: A squad of American special ops goes off radar for four days,...more
Heather Book Savvy Babe
30 Pieces of Silver is a very controversial religious thriller. The style is a bit similar to the DaVinci code in that the characters are on the search for controversial religious relics, and a secret society does not want the relics found. That’s it for the similarities though. 30 Pieces of Silver is very much it’s own story. The premise in 30 Pieces of Silver is forensic archeology natured, and definitely unique. The novel blends a touch of romance, action adventure, and dangerous situations t...more
Lex Allen
I picked 30 Pieces of Silver up because it's in my genre and the premise was intriguing. I start reading with the view that the book will be 5 star and then deduct a star or two or three as I read. By page ten of this book it had already dropped 1/2 of the first star due to a lack of verisimilitude.
In the jungle, surrounded by natives, the book's heroine, Dr. Rebecca Monroe, is tied to a stake with a thirty-two foot anaconda tightly wrapped around her from ankles to neck. She is saved by a grou...more
martin
OK, to be fair as a piece of writing it was probably more a 2 star than 3, but the deliberately provocative idea appealed to me - brave or just seeking publicity, doesn't much matter as it is a great story to play with. Lovers of action stories and mysteries will enjoy the speed of this one - it lacks the long, boring exposition/explanation that Dan Brown uses excessively in The Da Vinci Code. The end is unexpected but in keeping with the story up to that point - nice touch.

There was obviously s...more
Anna
I read this book under the assumption that anyone could knock off a Dan Brown book (c'mon, they're not THAT wonderful), so why not read the one that cost $3 on Kindle? It leaves a sour taste in my mouth to realize I was wrong. Regretfully, I must admit that Dan Brown has an x-factor that turns a book into a page-turner, and that McCray just couldn't duplicate it.

If a Dan Brown Novel Checklist existed, McCray would have had full page of marks: controversial religious theme and the chase for its a...more
Jeremy Yoder
There's something self-involved about a novel that bills itself as an "extremely controversial historical thriller." While Carolyn McCray's mediocre novel will probably appeal to fans of the genre, it also ends up as a lot less than what it aims for. Like Dan Brown's ubiquitous Di Vinci Code, 30 Pieces of Silver draws inspiration from the gnostic gospels (i.e. the Gospel of Judas) to present an alternative history of Christianity that undermines the central tenants and truth claims of the Church...more
Craig Berkman
I would have stopped reading this book before I reached half way had it not been for the reasonably intriguing premise that the bones of Jesus might be found. However, I hate stories involving improbable heroics and "lucky" escapes, and after the first couple, I had had enough. The idea that super-human military dudes will simply always prevail, and be able to buy or steal everything they need, and be able to travel at super speeds from one location to another, and be able to take on any disguis...more
Mike Vasich
Jul 13, 2012 Mike Vasich marked it as gave-up
There were issues that I couldn't get past. I didn't find the story to be "sacrilegious" as some extreme reviewers have mentioned (um, it IS fiction), but the desire to solve the mystery wasn't strong enough to overcome the other issues. Others have really liked it but it wasn't for me, unfortunately.
J.F. Penn
Full video review here: http://mysterythriller.tv/30-pieces-o...

As usual, I’m a sucker for any book with remotely religious connections so I couldn’t resist this bestselling Kindle thriller!

The book starts with a prologue in Jerusalem with the pain of the crucifixion and a witness who feels responsible, and then we jump to the present day straight into an explosion that rocks the Eiffel Tower in Paris and uncovers ancient bones.

The pace stays fast and furious as the action cuts to genetic anthr...more
Paula Howard
30 Pieces of Silver was a lot of hype about nothing. It really went on and on in place. I have read more than my fair share of religious historical/ fiction/espionage, so I have a great deal to compare to this book.

As a former religion teacher, one of things that bothered me most is the lack of scriptural accuracy. Judas and Jesus did not grow up together. Judas was the only one of the original 12 that was not from Galilee.

Paul was not one of the original 12. Paul was part Roman and Hebrew. His...more
Donna
This is very much a knock-off of The Da Vinci Code. It's fast-paced but there are so many plot inconsistencies and impossible coincidences and occurrences that it just became laughable. It had an interesting premise and it moved quickly enough to hold my interest just long enough to finish it but I won't be reading any more from this author.
Gloria Johnson
Mixed emotions about the book. The action scenes were a little too over-the-top, I suppose, but the story did move right along. The best part, to me, was the flashbacks to the story of Jesus and Judas told in modern language which read like a novel. I didn't find the book to be all that controversial, but the unorthodox ideas of what actually happened at (and after) the crucifixion of Jesus were fascinating.
Patricia
This is the first book I have ever read that came with a warning.

***Warning*** Before you purchase this book please be aware that 30 Pieces of Silver is an extremely controversial religious/historical thriller. Too controversial to be published in hardback. Please do NOT purchase this book if you were at all disturbed by the DaVinci Code or The Passion of Christ's revelations.

I like both of the books mentioned in the warning so I read this too and really enjoyed it. Remember folks it's FICTION!...more
MayMay
It was a great concept in a not so awesome book. The book started off bad and got better as it went along but it was never great.

Too many mission impossible scenes with absolutely unbelievable outcomes for a team of 4 and two nutty professors. I've read other thrillers with possibly more ridiculous action than this but that still sound believable. No one in the planet can have the luck these did, which was completely fine but boring and predictable. Once you read the first 5+ page fight scene y...more
Chris
Despite the fact that the author can'decide if she wants this story to be Dan Brown, Clive Cussler, or Indiana Jones, I'm ok with the adventure part--barely. The characters are absolute cliches and mostly annoying (ding-dong Lochum's dead!). The romance implausable (Danielle Steele anyone?)...fall deeply in love in 24 hours, blah, blah. Oh, and in the middle of hot sex, she gets a clue to what they are looking for, and they just hsppily drop everything to continue "the mission." Hilarious.
No. Wh...more
Sheila
Jeffrey
Apr 25, 2011 Jeffrey added it
Shelves: graveyard, kindle
Life is too short to read inane books.

I was interested in this book because in the review, this is compared to a Dan Brown novel. I thought this could be fun.

This is not Dan Brown! At least his plots, if not possible, at least they are plausible and clever.

This was like reading a Rambo movie. I should have know it was going to be ridiculous when the book begins with the main character about to be squeezed to death by an anaconda in the jungle, only to learn that she was participating in some kin...more
Erin-lynn
The best I can say is it was "interesting." I can see how the religious people could be upset with some of her ideas, but being a Pagan to me it was more of a Clue type, "This is how it COULD have happened!" It's just the author's idea of what might have happened during the Crucifixion.

The problem was that the idea of the story was more believable then the action. Think of Dan Brown meets James Bond, directed by Jon Woo, staring Sty Stallone!! There is only some much I can believe. They get att...more
Elaine
This book started off interesting, but as it developed there were too many coincidences, and too much good luck. It was just too unbelievable that they would be able to save the one bone in a skeleton with the clue, not once but 3 times. It also wasn't easy to believe that a team of special forces soldiers would go along with the professors and help them with their discovery. Doesn't anyone proof read anymore? There were multiple problems especially in the last half of the book with errors, thin...more
Bill Brown
Contrary to the reviewer/author James Rollins' review of this book, Dan Brown's crown is not up for grabs, especially by Ms. McCray. Purchased a new eReader and this was my first purchase. Really went out on a limb and paid $3.00 to Amazon. Good thing it didn't cost any more than that. A rather sophomoric attempt and not even close to a Dan Brown thriller that it tries to emulate. The book did, however, afford me the opportunity to become comfortable with the ebook and its cool features.

At time...more
Jorge
This book could have been written by a 10 year old that never read a book of history or physics. Has so many errors and the story is so childish that takes an effort to finish the book.

Archeological relics that have been lost for 2000 years are now easily found by two antagonist teams in the search of the truth. The plot and the intrigues are so silly that you can only laugh. Ships that sail at 300 miles an hour… Paul described as one of the 12, talking to Jesus…
Not one bit of research was done...more
Michele
Running, running, running, running, running, and more running. Bang, bang, boom, boom, slosh, slosh, climb, climb, bleed, bleed, "Get down!" "They got here first!" And on and on. The whole book is the good guys running and things exploding. (Also, a weird overuse of the word "hissed"as a verb. Can a person actually "hiss" something when the are no s's in the sentence? "'Don't do that,' he hissed.")

"Extremely controversial"? Mmmm... no. Let's all just agree that the author herself stuck that des...more
Aislinn
This book was ridiculous. Written as what I'll generously call an homage to Dan Brown, it contains most of the same kinds of themes - a search for Jesus with a shadowy religious sect bent on stopping that search. There's shootouts and chase scenes, bombings and plane crashes. People should have been dead multiple times throughout the book, but miraculously survive. The mystery is of course revealed by the very smart female professor found early in the book deep in the jungles of Ecuador.
There's...more
Dave Schey
I read it because I liked the warning - "WARNING: Please be advised that this is a controversial work of revisionist historical fiction, and could offend some readers."

The controversy concerns Jesus' crucifixion. (Spoiler: It was Judas, not Jesus). The story involves an archaeologist who is being protected by a small US Special Forces group while she chases around Europe trying to find the remains of Jesus. The story starts in Paris where a suicide bomber exposes a burial site near the Eiffel To...more
Elizabeth Horton-Newton
"30 Pieces of Silver" by Carolyn McCray was a Kindle book I picked up because it was on sale at Amazon. Usually the freebies and low cost books are hit or miss and this one turned out to be a hit. Rebecca Monroe is a scientist with a goal. But her goal becomes secondary as she is drawn into the search to find the bones of the disciples of Jesus. Hoping the discovery will aid her in her mission to confirm what she calls the "smart gene" she reunites with an old mentor and lover. In the course of...more
kathleen
By the time I rolled my eyes 10 times, I decided enough was enough as 50% into the book I didn't care how it ended. The premise was good. The Novel started out quite interesting. There were so many different parts to the story but I did enjoy the part about Jesus and Judas as friends, however, the other plots were so unbelievable.
C.
Interesting premise. Radars of the Lost Ark style of book. Not much was believable especially the military characters. Clearly the author knows her history but little about how military operations work. One character is a private in Special Forces. They don't exist. You'll make E-5 before you finish SF school. She referred to him later as a junior officer. Privates aren't officers. The situations they found themselves in were about as believable as the rest of the book. The ending was indeed con...more
  • All Hallow's Eve
  • The Shekinah Legacy (Charlotte Ansari, #1)
  • The Stranger Beside You
  • Jet (Jet, #1)
  • Volcano Watch (The Forensic Geology Series, #2)
  • Hope Road
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • The Folks at Fifty-Eight
  • Ascension Day
  • The Messiah Matrix
  • The Consultant (Vigilante, #2)
  • The Storm Killer
  • A Fatal Verdict (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #2)
  • Thirst
  • Disappear
  • Gated
  • Just Deceits
  • All For One
This is a pen name of Goodreads author Cristyn West.
More about Carolyn McCray...
Encrypted HeartsBlood (Praxis, #1) Havoc (Betrayed, #2) The Betrayed Series Ultimate Companion Collection Ambush (Betrayed, #.5)

“to argue, but then nodded curtly,” 0 likes