Start by marking “The Endlands (Volume 1)” as Want to Read:
The Endlands (Volume 1)

The Endlands (The Endlands #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Do you believe in a place outside human knowledge-a place where myth and legend collide-where the unthinkable is the mundane?

There is a thin veil between reality and make believe. When you take a moment, and push the veil aside, perhaps you will see this place. It is not a place of the imagination, for everything you see here is real.

Nothing is what it seems. Noises are no

320 pages
Published January 11th 2011 by Hobbes End Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Endlands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Endlands

Baby Teeth by Dan RabartsFresh Fear by William CookRead the End First by Suzanne RobbDead Harvest by Mark ParkerHorror for Good by Mark Scioneaux
Best Horror Anthologies
9th out of 323 books — 596 voters
The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by Edgar Allan PoeThe Martian Chronicles by Ray BradburyThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeThe Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleLife is a Circus Run by a Platypus by Allison Hawn
Best Short Stories
13th out of 929 books — 643 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
The thrill uncertainty brings is nothing to the terror of the known.

The Endlands brings you to the borders of the some of the most thrilling, haunting, and demented places the world has to offer. The past, present, and future all holds secret horrors just waiting for the unsuspecting, the trusting, and the gullible.

There are 17 stories in here to invigorate your nightmares and taint your view of the moonlight. The things that go bump in the night are hungry, and they will not restrain themselv
Dianna
Ok, here are my thoughts so far:

I am trying hard not to give too much away...

Room 422 (Patrick Greene)
“We’ve run out of time,”
The short story Room 422 is a great opening for this book. It appears to be a story about an expectant couple, but setting the theme of the book, there is another dimension to this couples future. A very strong short story, telling just enough and leaving you in that lace where you work out the possibilities in your head.

Eh, I see this
I love short stories and I love new authors, so this collection was perfect for me. The Endlands is an anthology spanning many genres, but all the stories have one thing in common: a WTF moment. Several authors contributed to the collection, and I liked the different styles that were displayed. As with any short story collection, some were better than others. The ones that stick out in my mind are:

Flying Fish by David Stubblefield
This whole story is a WTF moment. Flying whales? Huh? Very unique

T
Christina
I read the entire book. I enjoyed the read. Each story is completely different and gives you a new feel with each one. The mix of drama mystery and sci/fi was a great and welcomed change with each story. I thought the stories were all well written. My personal Favorite without giving away any details was The Best BBQ on the Interstate by Jennifer Chapman. I was on the edge of my seat with a need to know feeling the entire story...
I also liked the story They ; by Vincent Hobbes... The story flowe
Desiree reilly
these book are great you got to believe in ghost fairy tale and folk tale
they are a bunch of small novel in one book i was awed by the book i read it in less than 2 day
the story keep you on y our toes t her is some in i really like the one is the tribe send
the best hunter out to kill the monster well he does and he kills i would think is 2 bears
but he hear noise in the cave and then he see his buddies hanging on stick he does not know who
this thing is can you figure it out Mr Hobbes has one in t
Vincent Hobbes
Dec 28, 2010 Vincent Hobbes rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
A Night in Polidoria (Cristin Martin)
Flying Fish (David Stubblefield)
Limbo, Population 458 (Vincent Hobbes)
Finders Keepers (Janelle Garcia)
Loose Ends (Craig Wessel)
To Read or Not to Read (Vincent Hobbes)
Phases of Normal (Tamara Wilhite)
Propaganda (Nathan Palmer)
King of the Jungle (Jordan Benoit)
The Hour of the Time (Vincent Hobbes)
Thanksgiving (Jairus Reddy)
Into the Small Hours (Patrick Greene)
The Dragon of Delinar (Vincent Hobbes)
The Best BBQ on the Interstate (Jennifer
Paul
I recently received this book as a giveaway from GoodReads.

The Endlands was an enjoyable collection of short stories from several authors. All of the stories are written in the style of The Twilight Zone.

The only negative I can say about the book is that it went by so quickly. It left me wanting more.
Julia
I received this book for free from the Goodreads first reads program.
I have been enjoying reading this collection of short stories. I don't read many story collections, but I am realizing how much I like them. A short story doesn't take much time commitment and can be finished in one sitting. It is perfect if you have a busy life and don't have much time to sit and read. You can finish a short story quickly and get all the emotional payoff of reading a longer novel. Here are my thoughts on some
Katy
Jul 13, 2011 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of horror, the macabre, the weird and the disturbing
Recommended to Katy by: Jairus Reddy
Shelves: ebook
Vol. 1 of “The Endlands” is a delight for lovers of the weird side of story-telling. The creator of this anthology is said to have been a fan of Rod Serling and The Twilight Zone, and that is definitely obvious in the story choices. Featuring short stories about everything from strange creatures masquerading as politicians to body-snatching demons, from cannibals to flying whales (yes, you heard me right!), the stories included in this anthology are sure to include something to please any lover ...more
Kevis Hendrickson
I have to admit that I have a strong bias for old things: old music, artwork, stories, movies, buildings, etc.. Although there are many wonderful contemporary tales available for consumption, I find myself yearning for the stories of yesteryear, in particular classical horror.

I grew up watching shows like The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits, staying up way past my bedtime as a kid to greedily devour every creepy episode that played on my television set in the wee hours of the morning. I’d alw
Jessica
I received this book as part of a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. I appreciated the unique mix of stories that the book contained. Even reading in broad daylight, some were quite scary, especially because a few of them did not seem that far out there. I will certainly be locking doors and leaving lights on tonight, pretending I don't hear any unusual noises.

The stories I enjoyed the most were:
-"To Read or Not to Read" by Vincent Hobbes (Really great story idea!)
-"Into the Small Hours" by Patric
Jairus Reddy
As a publisher, this was one of the hardest projects I have ever put together. Sifting and reading hundreds of manuscripts, multiple times, made the final product very satisfying. I love the mix between horror, fantasy and just weird stories that wound up making the cut. I truly believe Rod Serling would appreciate the homage Mr. Hobbes paid to The Twilight Zone by creating this anthology.
Brian Rathbone
A wonderful collection overall. Like many anthologies, some of the stories were not as good as the rest, but I found this to be a great tribute to Rod Serling.
Melissa Snyder
I was glad I won this book! Great stories, full of supense. All unique and original
Nathiel
Normally shorts stories aren't my favorite type as I feel like their missing something, but with horror stories it doesn't happen so much. Here's a mini summary about each story and an overall opinion at the end.

Room 422 (Patrick Greene)

A man in a hospital waiting to give birth to their baby, or perhaps not.

This story was great although short, when I read the last sentence I thought wow that would

be a great book on it's own.

A Night in Polidoria (Cristin Martin)

Polidoria is a hunted town, the peo
Nathan Palmer
Apr 27, 2011 Nathan Palmer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I feel like my opinion is biased, being a part of the project and all. But when I’m helping put together a project you don’t know what the final product will look like. You work hard, and put together what you think everybody will enjoy. That being said, I could never imagine this book coming to life like it has. There are twelve minds that have come together to give twelve different sides of horror, or the unknown. Some you can really read into and try to find a deeper meaning. Some are just pu ...more
Roseann
This collection of 17 stories run the gamit from a used book store which is hiding an unusual secret to a group of friends stranded in a world full of flesh-eating zombies.

Rather than the usual gorefest found in today's horror novels, these stories read more like episodes of The Twilight Zone with more creepy than gore within. I am not generally a short-story fan, but these were well-written and many left me wanting them to not end.

A great new collection!
April
Great collection. Noticed this is volume 1. Looking forward to volume 2.
Justin
I was fortunate enough to receive a free copy of this book. I had a feeling it was going to be good and after reading, It’s one of the best books I have ever read. Right from the beginning of the first story I was hooked. I was always anticipating what would happen next and it always delivered every time. After I read one I kept thinking each story just keeps on pulling me in. A lot of the stories have a “Twilight Zone” influence, essence and take on them especially Mr. Hobbes’ and being a fan o ...more
Kurt
Jan 30, 2012 Kurt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: horror
It is always refreshing to read something from new authors, or authors I've never read before. This book of short stories was a true delight and exciting to read from beginning to end.
Of course, as with any short stories collections, there are high points and there are low points. This collection has very few low points, although if they were written in a bit greater detail, I think they would've worked themselves into a very good story. The story "Flying Fish" is one among these stories. Wri
Thomas
This is another indie book and I thouroully enjoyed reading it. I love short stories and the book was a good price . it had seventeen stories and it had twelve authors. The book was dedicated to rod sterling of the twilight zone and it was soon obvious why. Each story was a pleasure to read and I really can say I enjoyed all of them although some were much better than others. This isn’t a typical hhorror anthology but a series of stories that are each very different and many that end in that cla ...more
Paul
Imagine a place just a little removed from reality, a place where nothing is as it seems, and where anything could be just around the corner. Imagine no more: The Endlands is here.

The birth of a baby in the average hospital becomes distinctly un-average when the woman gives birth to a baby with large, black eyes, bat-like ears and a form of telepathy. Thousands of such births are happening all over the world at the same time, as if God is introducing the newest species of mankind.

A trucker picks
stormhawk
Pitched as an hommage to The Twilight Zone, The Endlands is an anthology of short stories that try to evoke the creepy twist endings the television series was known for.

It's fun.

Creepy hotels, creepy hospitals, creepy sunsets, creepy wildernesses, creepy snowstorms, creepy small towns, creepy whales, creepy jungles, creepy bookstores, creepy clowns, creepy laboratories, creepy appointments, well, maybe they're aren't creepy clowns. I'm not sure how they got in the list ...

None of the stories
Nathalia
Vincent Hobbes, you are one helluva talented author. My favorite stories from this collection are Limbo, Population 458 and The Dragon of Delinar. The beginning of The Dragon of Delinar was amazing, I would love to read a full length Fantasy novel from you. Don't even get me started on how phenomenal the ending was, the story was simply perfect! Limbo, Population 458 left me wanting to know more; it's one of those stories that I will simply never forget.

As for the other stories, I didn't enjoy t
Shelly
Nicely done anthology, some stories are better than others which is to be expected. My personal favorites were Room 422, Lost and Found, To Read or Not to Read, In the Small Hours, Best BBQ on the Interstate, and They. I was especially impressed with Patrick Greene (Room 422 and In the Small Hours) - looking forward to reading more by him.
Brian Davidson
The books has a twilight zone feel to it.

A collection of bizarre short stories.

The up side. There were stories I just didn't want to end. I got so caught up in the characters and the story.

On the down side...I did find some stories that missed the mark.

Overall The Endlands is an interesting read.
Malvina
I enjoy the collection of short stories that this book has to offer.
I usually don't read books from indie authors but now I'm trying to let them in as I would love to read something different for a change, more original. Overall,it is an interesting read.
Heather
Jan 04, 2012 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Jaime
I downloaded this for free on Amazon. A great book of short stories. Vincent Hobbes is especially entertaining to read. I felt as though I'd gone back in time to when a book would let me use my imagination and some of the stories creeped me out.
shinfu
Mar 11, 2011 shinfu marked it as to-read
I have just won this book from First Reads. A good read. Interesting stories. Good variety of stories. Thanks.
Insomnia Book Club: The Endlands by Vincent Hobbes 5 2 Oct 15, 2013 01:13PM
  • The Monster's Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes
  • The Gate: 13 Dark and Odd Tales
  • Shock Totem 1: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • Box of Lies
  • Spirited: 13 Haunting Tales
  • Horror Stories
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume One
  • Not Before Bed (1st edition)
  • High Moor
  • Aberrations
  • The Legend of Witch Bane
  • Wink
  • Curse of the Full Moon: A Werewolf Anthology
  • Temptation (The Soul Collection, #1)
  • Ghosts by Gaslight: Stories of Steampunk and Supernatural Suspense
  • The Ways (Diary of the Displaced, #3)
  • Dante's Journey
  • Pandora's Children: The Complete Nightmares Book 1

The Endlands (2 books)
  • The Endlands (Volume 2)
They To Read or Not to Read The Hour of the Time Khost The Endlands (Volume 2)