Start by marking “P’tit Cadeau ” as Want to Read:
P’tit Cadeau

P’tit Cadeau

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
[P’TIT CADEAU (euphemism) – the “small gift” French hustlers ask for to let you know they expect to be paid]

Ben, an American art professor on a painting sabbatical in the south of France, rents a room in an isolated village to avoid the tourist crush. There he meets his landlady's brother, the sensitive and childlike loner Jean-Yves, whom the locals consider simple minded
Published January 1st 2011 by Silver Publishing

Purgatory by Jeff MannWhen the Music Stops by John T. FullerP’tit Cadeau by Anel VizFaster Than the Speed of Light by Lucius ParhelionLovers in Arms by Osiris Brackhaus
Best Underrated M/M Books
3rd out of 400 books — 242 voters
Love is a Stranger by John  WiltshireScrap Metal by Harper FoxLovers in Arms by Osiris BrackhausThe Substitute by Tionne RogersConscious Decisions of the Heart by John  Wiltshire
MM Books Set in Europe
9th out of 163 books — 84 voters

More lists with this book...

Cay
Feb 03, 2012 Cay rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m

Why didn't I read this sooner?
1. The cover seemed weird.
2. I didn't understand the title. Yeah, it's something in French, and?
3. The blurb. I think that was the main reason that I left this book on my tbr for so long. Childlike and "different" Jean-Yves? I thought what Ben did before meeting him, that Jean-Yves is intellectually disabled.

After reading it the cover and the title made perfect sense. Also, the blurb is completely misleading. Yes, Jean-Yves is different than those closed-m
M
Apr 08, 2012 M rated it really liked it
This book was lovely, in its own weird way. I love books about travel, and this didn't disappoint in that regard. It's this great odyssey through scenic France, seen through the eyes of an artist and I really enjoyed that. In terms of the romance, well, that's where I'm feeling a bit ambivalent. But it's more the description of the romance than the actual relationship that makes me feel that way. The whole book is very matter-of-fact, it's told rather bluntly and with little emotion, so I couldn ...more
Beck
Jul 09, 2012 Beck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing book. Beautifully written with a languorously developing romance. The love story is unconventional but oh so believable. I couldn't put this book down. The 'pace' of the book won't appeal to everyone as there is a lot of wordy descriptions (people, places, art) & lengthy dialogue. Another 'difficulty' that some might have with the book is the almost analytical/dry/objective/remote (can't quite pin down the right adjective) voice of Ben. There is no gushing, loving languag ...more
Snowtulip
Jun 06, 2012 Snowtulip rated it really liked it
Recommended to Snowtulip by: Cay
Shelves: m-m, own
This is one of those books which the pace might not be for everyone, but worked for me.

This is a steady, slow moving story that really captures a love story that follows that same slow developing rhythm. The use of art and travel provided a lot of insight into Ben and Jean Yves personalities...we learned about their emotions through that context much of the time.

I do admit that it took some time for me to warm to Ben, but I did eventually get there. Luckily the timeline of the story allowed Ben
Brandon Shire
Jan 11, 2014 Brandon Shire rated it really liked it
Some writers approach their craft with a languorous depth of setting which strikes a balance with the characters and adds to their ability to capture the reader. This book does that, in spades.

Definitely would place this in the ‘Gay Contemporary Romance’ category and not MM.

Recommended: Hidden Gem
Kate McMurray
Jan 22, 2011 Kate McMurray rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, romance
I thought this a really beautiful book. It reads a little like a travelogue, as the narrator moves through France and Italy and falls in love with a young man who seems out of place. The prose is just lovely. Recommended.
Gale Stanley
Jan 16, 2011 Gale Stanley rated it it was amazing
Once I started reading, I couldn’t stop. This is an intensely romantic story, which I love, and the characters are so complex and emotional. The setting is well described and becomes a character in itself.
Nan Hawthorne
Apr 25, 2011 Nan Hawthorne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbtq
Ben is an artist on sabbatical from the American college where he teaches. He has a year in France and wants to fill hi sketchbooks and canvases with the remarkable sights he can find in the south of France and in Italy. He did not expect that one of his favorite subjects for his art would come to mean so much to him, his new model and lover, Jean-Yves Cadot.

The two men meet in the small mountain town of St. Repouse where Jean-Yves' father took the family after a scandal involving a priest at th
Susan
Jun 03, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-read, z-2012
This was by no means a traditional love story but the two men were beautifully portrayed and their is no doubt there was love between them. Despite the fact that the book was set over a period of time at the end of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st century, it had an almost timeless feel to it and I could imagine the story taking place almost identically at an earlier point in history. One of the most rewarding parts of the book was watching the journey that Jean-Yves makes during t ...more
Rebecah
What a fabulous story. I loved it. I enjoyed the tempo of the book but I can understand how some might find it a bit languorous. The descriptions of the countryside and the people were affective (as in causing emotion or feeling). I felt great empathy for the MCs, and I fell in love with the small villages and seaside towns.

Jean-Yves' tenacity was inspiring. His innocence and trusting nature and, later, his confidence were perfect characterizations. I also liked Ben - I have a thing for sexy pro
thelastaerie
Feb 10, 2011 thelastaerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like readers mentioned, this is almost like a travelogue plus romance - a very moving one that spans many years. The protagonist is almost as much in love with his love interest, as much as he loves France.

It's also a story of personal triumph, changing your life 180 degree, I doubt anyone not to be touched by Jean-Yves' struggles and his eventual transformation.

Tamela
I absolutely loved this story. The characters were as vibrant as the art. The only regret I have is that I couldn't understand the many French conversations.

I've added this to my-6-star-favs shelf and highly recommend this to those who love art, France, wonderful characters, beautiful sites, and HEA endings.
Meggie
Jun 08, 2011 Meggie rated it really liked it
This story was really amazing till the last page. The two last sentences were simple beautiful and warm. They completed the story immensely. I loved how the plot developed and enjoyed the read fully.
Highly recommended to everyone!
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
One day sale on this for only $0.99 (down from $7.99!!!) from the publisher! Only 8/13/13!

Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
If you're in the mood for a long, leisurely, creative and cultural journey through France and Italy in the company of two beautiful men, then P'tit Cadeau is the novel for you. One of the strongest elements about this book was the depth of immersion into both France and the life of the artist. French phrases are sprinkled liberally throughout, some translated, some relying on context to get their meaning across. Plenty of time is spent describing Ben's artistic processes, how he sees a landscape ...more
Kira
Nov 21, 2011 Kira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's tricky to decide the rating for this one for sure. It's a great book, but I'm still quite torn...
Let me explain.
At times it reads as a travel guide and a flowery one at that. It's annoying when you just go "tell me about the people, NOT the surroundings!" every twenty pages or so.
However, the love story is nice, different and cute. The main characters are mostly likeable and...
Well, just read it for yourself. It's a good, different book. But be prepared for prose about France.
Amy Banamy
Jun 23, 2015 Amy Banamy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-hard-copy
Excellent.
tizi
Apr 17, 2012 tizi rated it really liked it
would have loved to give it 5 stars because i loved this book.
good characters, great travellog.
it somehow flows like a slow stream, without real moments of highlights; there are highlights, but somehow they are so woven into the flowing story that you nearly overread them. the story has great highlights, but they are not worked out enough to recognize them as such.
but i really enjoyed it nonetheless.
R.S.T.
Nov 25, 2012 R.S.T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Well, this was a rather interesting read. I must admit that I had my doubts about this one - mainly because the title and the cover are strange. But once you get into the story, it makes sense why the book is titled "P'tit Cadeau" and why the cover is that. I enjoyed reading this book - more with the first half than the second. What I liked about this novel is that has a realistic feel to it.
Kiki
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Skm
Skm marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Alan
Alan rated it did not like it
Apr 30, 2016
B
B marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Lulu Carmen
Lulu Carmen marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Slow Bloom (Slow Bloom #1)
  • Sonoran Heat
  • The Perils of Praline: Or, the Amorous Adventures of a Southern Gentleman in Hollywood
  • Final Encore (Encore, #1)
  • Red Skies
  • Electric Melty Tingles
  • The Dove Keeper
  • A Picture Perfect Holiday
  • Tono (Basque, #2)
  • Tian's Hero (The Akanti #1)
  • The Apothecary's Garden
  • Lover's Knot
  • Prove It
  • Back to Normal
  • Yakuza Pride (The Way of the Yakuza #1)
  • The Light in Your Eyes
  • Making Promises (Promises, #2)
  • Gilliflowers (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #4)
2872089
Anel Viz, born and raised in New York City, currently resides in the Midwest, where he has taught at the same small liberal arts college for over thirty years. He has lived about one-quarter of his life in French-speaking countries. He returned to his childhood passion of writing at age sixty, and ever since he has churned out works in a variety of M/M genres: poetry, short and novel-length fictio ...more
More about Anel Viz...