Start by marking “Long After Midnight at the Nino Bien: A Yanqui's Missteps in Argentina” as Want to Read:
Long After Midnight at the Nino Bien: A Yanqui's Missteps in Argentina

Long After Midnight at the Nino Bien: A Yanqui's Missteps in Argentina

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  22 reviews
An American reporter in Argentina struggles to learn the tango by night, while by day covering the country as it slides into financial crisis and revolution
Published March 1st 2008 by PublicAffairs (first published March 3rd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Long After Midnight at the Nino Bien, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long After Midnight at the Nino Bien

The Meaning of Tango by Christine DennistonLong After Midnight at the Nino Bien by Brian WinterEl tango de la Guardia Vieja by Arturo Pérez-ReverteRomances de Tango by Lucia GalvezTango Stories by Lavocah, Michael
Tango
2nd out of 30 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Holli
This is a memoir of a man fresh from college who decides to move to Argentina. Unfortunately he chose to move there a month or so before the last revolution began. It is an amazing story about him learning not only how to dance the tango but also the history of the dance and the country. I absolutely loved it! I couldn't help but love the old creepy men who seem to lurk in the dark corners of the Tango bars. Egos galore and still I want to see them dance....not sure about dancing with them. (-: ...more
John
IF you are at all interested in the tango then this is a book for you, me not but the history part was very well written and organized. I enjoyed that part of it only. I have to question the accuracy of what the author wrote about his experiences, some were so unbelievable .
Emmet
The best tango book I've read so far, although I have only read three so far. This one is by far the best written, contains more information both about tango and Argentina than any other, and has the best protagonist.

However, I still search for the great tango book or novel. By the end of this memoir, I'm not left entirely clear what the main narrative was. It seems likely it was the story of the non-romance between the narrator, Brian, and his tango teacher, but there was so little of that. It
Tom Williams
This is still on my 'currently reading' shelf so regard these as 'thoughts in progress'.

I love Buenos Aires and I love tango, so when I saw this I just had to buy it. (The fact that it was in my local pound store [!!!!] helped.)

Instead of the usual confused rubbish from people who understand neither the city nor the dance, I found a book that captures the intensity of both. It shows Buenos Aires in all its filthy, corrupt, lazy, rude, thieving, wonderful, exciting, life-affirming, loving, passio
Megan
First, a disclaimer: I am a tango addict who hopes to someday travel to Argentina, so this book was like a virtual dream vacation (apart from its happening during a major economic crisis). Having danced tango for only ~1/2 a year, I am still learning about the rich and complex culture of this fascinating dance. This book was an entertaining introduction to tango history and present-day culture. I could also relate to the way that the author was unexpectedly drawn to tango by the beauty of the da ...more
Gary
Well written from the viewpoint of an outsider and someone whose background is not dance. Also interesting in reading about Tango from a male point of view.
Catherine
Part travel memoir, part history. The book was clumsily structured, cliché-ridden, and the character development was slim to none. Many of the historical portions felt like they were copied directly from research snippets.

I kept hoping for a morsel of interesting text and only found it at the very end of the book when he discussed in greater detail the fallout from the 2001 financial crisis (thus one more star). Otherwise, the book was a big disappointment and really not worth my time.
Lucy

This was the only nonfiction book on Argentina I could find in the whole of the haunted bookshop in Iowa city on the Sunday before we left on our trip. It was a hardback and sort of pricey, but for some reason I really wanted to have it to take w me. So glad I bought it-- a great minihistory and cultural study of the country, super easy and funny to read, and an excellent resource for anyone headed to Argentina for a vacation or to live. Loved it!!
Sharon Howe
This short book concisely explains much about the Tango and Argentina. Through the eyes of a young American journalist we get an understanding of the mystery of the tango and why we're so fascinated with it. We develop insight to Argentina society, and I was surprised and intrigued by his explanation of racism, pride, and depression in the country. I hope you will take a little time out of your life to read this delightful book.
Jenny
In honor of the 10th anniversary of my trip to Argentina, I thought this book would help me reminisce. Instead, it irritated me with a string of cliches upon cliches. Who knew that they don't eat Mexican food down there??? I'm giving it two stars, however, b/c it does offer some good on-the-spot reporting of the 2001 financial crisis.
Briana
I fell in love with this book last year...but now that Ive lived in Argentina for a semester I can say that it still has a long way to go in trying to capture everything that makes up the Argentine spirit. Still an interesting read, but of course not the same as experiencing the real thing. ...more
Sue
This is the story of the tango and it's relation to Argentinian politics and history. I found it a bit disjointed and struggled to finish it but it did refresh my knowledge of Argentinian politics and gave me some insight in to the tango.
Susan Gloss
This book transported me to the late nights and dark alleys of Buenos Aires. The author's voice is very engaging-- like talking to a well-traveled friend. An entertaining, informative read even if you know or care nothing about dance.
Sumos_Mom
I had higher hopes for this travel log of Buenos Aires and tango, both of which I love. The last part of the book was redeeming...about the financial collapse and the devaluation of the peso.
Geoffslagheap
a bit too 'liberal' for my tastes, but overall great writing to give a wonderful vision of buenos aires. definitely made me want to drop everything and move there (and learn the tango)
Kate
Part memoir, part travelogue, part history of the tango, part history of Argentina, reads like an (unrequited) love story with a country, a woman and a dance: beautiful!
Michelle
Fun and easy read about American who travels to Argentina to live for a few years. His description of BA and the local characters really give you a feel for the place.
JulieK
Argentinian history and culture as viewed through the lens of the tango. Interesting and worth reading, but had room for improvement.
Amanda (Mandy)
Interesting. Gives alot of insight into Argentine culture, tango and the economic collapse of 2002.
Lizz
I liked it but probably because it was about BsAs and tango and not for his writing.
Debi Gontier
An easy and fun read about the history of politics and the tango in Argentina.
A.
Interesting, but could have used a good edit -- weirdly paced and structured.
Maritza Arteaga
Maritza Arteaga marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Asiexz
Asiexz marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Douglas J Rhodes
Douglas J Rhodes is currently reading it
May 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Accidental President of Brazil: A Memoir Why Soccer Matters Porque el fútbol importa