Start by marking “The Widows of Wichita County” as Want to Read:
The Widows of Wichita County

The Widows of Wichita County

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Apart from sharing the same zip code, Randi Howard, Anna Montano, Meredith Allen, Helena Whitworth and Crystal Howard have absolutely nothing in common—until a fiery explosion on a west Texas oil rig changes everything.

Their husbands are men who live to search for "black gold," men who are willing to exchange backbreaking work and long days for dan
Published June 21st 2011 by Mira (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Widows of Wichita County, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Widows of Wichita County

Sally
I did like the overall concept of a group of women from different walks of life banding together due to a tragedy. Each one of the widows experienced some form of positive growth with the collective wisdom, strength and support of the group. However the ultimate success of that positive growth all revolved around men and finding "the one" except for the one widow who was written as if she had already had too much success with men ; ) So for a romance chick lit sort of a read not bad but I think ...more
Gail
I only remembered one thing from reading this before, and turns out, I didn't even remember it right. I thought Jodi had been much more definite about a thing than she was. And I didn't recall one of the main plots. There's a mystery, but it's not who killed someone. It's interesting. This is a really good book. Y'all should read it, if you haven't already.
Emily
I really enjoyed this story of a group of women united by the deaths of their husbands in an oil rig accident in Texas. Their distinct personalities and individual, and very different, ways of coping with their tragic losses drew me in, and a mysterious twist about the one husband who survived kept me guessing until the very end. Engrossing!
Guna
When their husbands are killed in an explosion at the oil field, 5 women of different social classes come together and become fast friends. But the troubles are not over. Interspersed throughout are little snippets of information about oil fields and wildcatters.
Dorothy Timm
I loved this book. The 5 women were all different, but all great characters. The ending was a little different from what I'd expected, but not in a bad way. I'll definitely be looking for other books by this author.
Pam Asberry
One of my writer pals recommended this book to me as an excellent example of writing from mutiple points of view; it was that and a great story, too. The tale of five women from very different backgrounds who find themselves thrown together when their husbands are killed in an oil rigging accident, this book has a lot to say about the idiocy of making assumptions about people we don't know, the value of female friendship, and finding love in unlikely places. I was hooked after just a few sentenc ...more
Dee Schwinn
I loved the characters and the fact that the book touched on many of the ills of society and how the widows survived. The author used good description to make the reader feel like you were there.
Amanda
I started this book and for the life of me I could not figure out why I was reading it. It wasn't my normal style of book. However, the more I read the more I liked it. I'd give the first quarter of the book a 2 star rating and the last half a 4.5 star rating.

My one big issue with the book is that it ended rather abruptly. It seemed a bit rushed to me. The author made me use some guesswork in where the characters were headed after the novel ended.

I'd recommend it for readers that like a little
Susan Kendall
Just what an easy romance novel should be. (PG)
Maggie Shanley
Vert good story of four wives and widowhood in an oilfield town of Texas.
Brandi
Really enjoyed this one. It was a refreshing change of pace from my normal choice of books. It was the first Jodi Thomas book I've read, and I really liked her writing. The story was the classic tale of the bond of friendship between women. The five women in this story had NOTHING in common except the tragedy that brought them together...but that was enough. Great storyline, good character develpment, overall a really good book that I have already recommended to my friends!
 Gigi Ann
As always I enjoy Jodi Thomas' books, and this one was no exception. It centered around 5 Texas women. Four of the women's husbands were killed in an oil rig accident, and one husband was badly burned, but survived. The story moves along as we watch each widow deal with there grief in different ways, but always there to support each other, through what ever problems they have to face. As I said it was an enjoyable book to read.

This book is part of my personal library.
Emily
I started this and read just about half within the first sitting. That's a great sign, especially anymore with my five second attention span. But as it went on, I started losing interest. The characters were fair. I enjoyed most of them and their interactions were interesting enough. By the end, I had warmed to it again but it really wasn't one I foresee sticking with me.
Jodi
Debra
Add half a star to bump it up to 3.5 because of the.way it kept my interest.

Told from multiple POV, a study in perception v reality, it also looks at how adversity can make us stronger.

Not completely believable, but intriguing and fast reading.
Jodi Thomas is one of my favorite authors, but I put this one down before I was finished. It was very slow on the up-take and kind of depressing as well. Just not what I was looking for in a light read.
Roberta
Wonderful book! I love Jodi Thomas...

The Widows of Witcha County was a good read..had some twists and turns in it that surprised me...very pleasant read....

Kathy Roling
Enjoyed this book very much. Liked the widows and their
ability to cope. Wish I knew how things end for Crystal
and Randi. I think Jodi Thomas is a wonderful writer.
Cecelia
Oil rig explosion leaves 4 men dead and 1 in critical condition but their identities are unknown for a long time. I remember enjoying this book.
Autumn
Again, loved this book. I haven't found anything by Jodi Thomas that I didn't love.
Vicki Papworth
Very different to what I would normally read, nice book though. Easy read.
Stephanie
Nice plot and development of the characters.
Pcreamean
Keeping it on my bookshelf to re-read! Loved it!
Carina
It was a really good book.
Tisha
NOT AS GOOD AS OTHERS
Terri
Engaging story - but pulpy
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Alicia Royer-nelson
Alicia Royer-nelson marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Dlanton
Dlanton marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Kelly Walker
Kelly Walker marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
  • Never Too Late
  • No Place Like Home
  • The Rebel Worlds (Flandry, #3)
  • The Welcome Home Garden Club (Twilight, Texas, #4)
  • Hare Today, Dead Tomorrow (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #4)
  • Finally Home
  • Kane (Louisiana Gentlemen, #1)
  • Growing Pains: The Autobiography of Emily Carr
  • The Perfect Match
  • Home Before Dark
  • Sisters Found (Hawk's Way, #13)
  • Temptation
  • The Real Deal
  • A Callahan Carol
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • Twice Tempted (The Drake's Rakes, #5)
  • After You've Gone
  • Spaceman Blues: A Love Song
20273
I'm a New York Times and USA Today Best Selling author, wife, mother, in-law, grandmother, sister, friend, and owner of one fat cat.
More about Jodi Thomas...
The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1) When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery, #2) Welcome to Harmony (Harmony #1) A Texan's Luck (Wife Lottery, #3) Texas Rain (Whispering Mountain, #1)