Start by marking “Some Versions of Pastoral: Literary Criticism” as Want to Read:
Some Versions of Pastoral: Literary Criticism

Some Versions of Pastoral: Literary Criticism

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Mr. Empson sees the pastoral convention as including not only poems of shepherd life but any work "about the people but not by or for" them. Finding examples in the writing of every country and century, from Mencius to William Faulkner or Céline, he concentrates on an analysis of certain works and forms in English literature, several of them, like Alice in Wonderland, Troi ...more
Published January 17th 1974 by New Directions (first published December 12th 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Some Versions of Pastoral, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Versions of Pastoral

E.B.
Aug 31, 2014 E.B. rated it really liked it
This book makes absolutely no sense and I absolutely love it. Every now and again, a kernel of Empsonian brilliance jumps off the page and into my brain. It's magical.
Mark
Jul 09, 2011 Mark rated it it was ok
Very disappointing. This book was referenced in Faye Hammill's "Sophistication" and also in Harold Bloom's new book "The Anatomy of Influence." I am very interested in the themes and development of pastoral, and was hoping to learn something new in Empson's book. Didn't happen: Empson is an interesting writer, but extremely diffuse. I prefer a book with good solid arguments and clear use of evidence, and Empson provides neither here. I am sure I will return to this book at some point, but I may ...more
Lesliemae
Jun 17, 2014 Lesliemae rated it liked it
Shelves: special-fields
I need to read this book again after I've done some Renaissance reading. To go from Environmental ethics and Phenomenology straight to Empson is just too damn weird, leaving me with questions like whether Empson's pastoralism, as quirky as it is, belies a deeply dualistic metaphysic or whether you might align Heidegger's and Empson's proclivities for Eastern thought -Buddhism in particular?
Sean
Oct 29, 2012 Sean rated it really liked it
The best from one of the century's best critics. Let him teach you how to read lit.
Solarider
Solarider marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Wolf
Wolf rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Darren Robert Bailey
Darren Robert Bailey marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Anorhi
Anorhi marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Corey Culbertson
Corey Culbertson rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Michael Giaccio
Michael Giaccio marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Robbie Bruens
Robbie Bruens marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Loren Poin
Loren Poin marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Jaclyn
Jaclyn rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2015
C
C marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
FantasiaoftheLibrary
FantasiaoftheLibrary marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Lynne
Lynne marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was ok
Jul 11, 2015
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Farman
Farman rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Katrin
Katrin added it
Feb 14, 2015
peter
peter added it
Feb 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sir William Empson was an English literary critic and poet.

He was widely influential for his practice of closely reading literary works, fundamental to the New Critics. Jonathan Bate has said that the three greatest English Literary critics of the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries are Johnson, Hazlitt and Empson, "not least because they are the funniest".

Empson has been styled a "critic of genius" by
More about William Empson...