Start by marking “Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1)” as Want to Read:
Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1)

Day of the Dragon (WarCraft #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  4,039 ratings  ·  116 reviews
In the mist-shrouded haze of the past, the world of Azeroth teemed with wondrous creatures of every kind. Mysterious Elves and hardy Dwarves walked among tribes of man in relative peace and harmony - until the arrival of the demonic army known as Burning Legion shattered the world's tranquility forever.
Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Published December 5th 2001 by Pocket Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Day of the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Day of the Dragon

Rise of the Horde by Christie GoldenArthas by Christie GoldenJaina Proudmoore by Christie GoldenThe Shattering by Christie GoldenLord of the Clans by Christie Golden
10th out of 45 books — 46 voters
Halo by Eric S. NylundAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenBioShock by John ShirleyAssassin's Creed by Oliver BowdenAssassin's Creed by Oliver Bowden
Video Game Novels/Trades
73rd out of 202 books — 244 voters

More lists with this book...

The Second War has ended with a crushing defeat for the Horde, but Zuluhed and Nekros Skullcrusher keep the fight going by imprisoning Alexstrasza the Dragonqueen and forcing her to breed dragonlings to serve the Orc armies. Meanwhile the Eastern Kingdoms are shaken by the scheming of its kings and nobles, further developing the crisis...

Back when this year began, I had no idea that I would start playing World of Warcraft, not to mention getting so immersed in this world that I would actually st
Nov 29, 2009 Leeanna added it
Shelves: i-own
World of Warcraft: Day of the Dragon, by Richard A. Knaak

"Day of the Dragon" was the first book to be written in the Warcraft game universe. But while it is based on a game series, the book is practically a work of original fiction with hints of the story coming from the game. Knaak took the setting, characters, and events from the Warcraft universe and constructed them into an enjoyable, readable novel.

Although it is helpful to have some familiarity with Warcraft, such knowledge is not needed t
Jan 15, 2013 Julia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Warcraft Fans
Recommended to Julia by: Jason
I enjoy Richard Knaak's writing. I like the way that he describes areas and people and find myself imagining them perfectly and not just because I play the video game, but because he describes them well. He has a knack (pun intended) for description. That being said, I was a bit disappointed at how Knaak handled the romance between Vereesa and Rhonin. They only travelled together for about a week before everything horrible happened. Not enough time had elapsed for the two of them to be recalling ...more
I read this one because my stepbrother loaned it to me with his recommendation (albeit a mild one). I read the whole thing, just because, and remembered what it was like to read books aimed at teenage male gamers. I used to read plenty of those, back in the day. I didn't like all that many of them then, either, but I read them anyway, because I wanted to know the lore.

Hugo Saraiva
It's a great book, first of the Warcraft Books, or fantasy book for that mater, that I've ever read. Tells a story of a Mage who basically messed up on his last major quest, where everyone who went with him were distroyed in battle. Then he was then sent with another on a new quest. This new journey he is one will clear his name, if he is victorious. That is to say even if he lives through the journey to even get to where he needs to go to complete his quest.
Not bad. Steeped in World of Warcraft lore....Deathwing, the Aspects, the Kirin Tor, Lordaeron
This book is definitely the kind of book for me. First of all, World Of Warcraft is a game that I have played before and little content covered in the book is within the game, that makes me feel more interested in these kind of books. This whole book is about how a human mage named Rhonin takes a risky journey into the last remaining orc-controlled land in the order of Krakus who truly is a red dragon. Human is part of Alliance and Orc is part of Horde, Horde and Alliance has been fighting since ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Wow, shocker, a Warcraft book by Richard A. Knaak that got more than a one star rating from me. Seriously, I'm floored. Like, really. After suffering through his last couple WoW novels Wolfheart and Stormrage, I was starting to think I might just be a glutton for punishment when I picked up Day of the Dragon, but to my surprise, it wasn't that bad at all.

Granted, that might not mean much since I'm using my special video game tie-in novel scale to rate and review this book, so take my praise with
Stan Crowe

"Day of the Dragon" was good enough to not just stop reading part way through. That said, if the book is at all a commentary on t
Yahanan Xie
Mar 05, 2012 Jacklyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who plays the Warcraft series
Recommended to Jacklyn by: Blizzard
Shelves: kindle-copies
This is the first Warcraft book I've read. I was completely skeptical about how these books were going to read. I figured they were going to be dull or cliched at best. I was horribly wrong. After I read this book, i was hooked. I NEEDED to know more about Warcraft lore. I played the game for 3 years without having any background intelligence (I don't pay attention to in-game stories. I'm too impatient). These books actually make the gameplay way more interesting. I had actually cancelled my sub ...more
Dylan  Wong S1
Mar 31, 2008 Dylan Wong S1 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Dylan by: my cousin
This book is very amazing. It is very exiting. The mage Rhonin was sent by the counsel of elders to save the Dragonqueen from the clutches of Dragonmawclan.(All by himself!!!) This took place in 100B.C when it still had Dragons but the very last know female(able to breed) Dragon was known as the Dragonqueen! They hope it will breed another female dragon. the Dragonmaw clan kidnaping the dragonqueen not only escaping(holing the Dragonqueen) the elders but also the silverhand alliance! Rhonin, de ...more
So, we start the book with Rhonin. He is a wizard that has a bad reputation. He went on a mission and because of the spell he used, everyone died. The mission was a success, but alot of people died. He has a new mentor, and this mentor sends him on a mission. Recon. He is to find out how he can rescue the red dragon queen, who is being held captive by the orcs, who work for the Horde, who are the bad guys. They captured her and have been using her to breed dragons that the Horde use. The Allianc ...more
This was the first book I have read that was written by Ricahrd Knaak but I had heard some very good things about him.
I am happy to say that I as not disappointed, though the book starts of a bit slow, it really begins to grab you around halfway through. The characters are interesting but the true standouts are the Dragons. Unique and mesmerizing each was a delight to read about and left me wanting more.
This was a lot better than I thought it would be. The writing is good and the characterization was way more than I was expecting from a book based on Warcraft. I was just looking to start reading all the lore books and started with this one, and I'm glad I did.

From what I've read, I'm glad that I chose to start with this book and not the War of the Ancients trilogy.
Eric Peusa
Oct 07, 2008 Eric Peusa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Warcraft lovers
Shelves: go-read-it
In the world of Warcraft, where Orcs are still ravaging the lands due to their blood-lust, a rogue mage Rhonin is sent, by his superiors, to redeem himself into the orc infested lands. Aside from the orcs, there are dragons and many more adventures that he will face. This is a book for those who love Warcraft and love fantasy.
Just finished this book--amazing! The fact it ties in so well with the Warcraft universe was a plus. Rhonin and Krasus are both badasses--and the foreshadowing of Rhonin bumping uglies with Vereesa was quite obvious. I don't want to give too much away, so that is all. Must read for Warcraft lore folk.
Billy Davis
Jun 16, 2007 Billy Davis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of fantasy
I debated giving this book four stars, even though some parts of the story rubbed me the wrong way. But I gave it five starts because that was the intent of the writer, not some bad writting habit.

If you like Dragons and wzirads or know anything about the warcraft games, this is a good read.
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, once again the horde (pre-horde) are being dishonest and achieve power by ill means ... "yeah let's capture the dragon queen" ... what absolute moronic idiots, I seriously question anyone that's proud of the horde history
Matej Kocev
I personaly loved the book but i am a warcraft fan and know pretty much evrything about the charecters and locations so i could imagine the scenarios and the voices of the charecters. I do recomend this book for all warcraft fans, for it takes place in the setern kingdoms, specificly in Grim Batol. Most of the charecters have big roles in the warcraft universe such as the dragons,falstad and rhinon and veressa. At some places the book really streches the scenarios. Also the charecters are almost ...more
Jun 25, 2009 Daley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fantasy Lovers, first time Warcraft readers and WoW players.
Shelves: warcraft, fantasy
I absolutely loved it.
This was my first Warcraft book and I recommend it to first time Warcraft readers.
Rhonin was remarkable and I loved reading about the Aspects. I couldn't stop until I was done with it.
Aik Koh
My first warcraft novel. Rented it just to try it out, end up owning a copy and re-reading it all over again. Story is simple and yet so wonderful, especially when it comes down to the mid of the action.
Kuba Sieradzan
Książka jest świetna ! Zakończenie trochę rozczarowuje, jednak reszta to rekompensuje. 9-/10.
Daniel ross
May 01, 2008 Daniel ross rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: WoW players
after you read this one, which is pretty good, theres a whole trilogy with these charecters
Apr 30, 2008 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Warcraft Fans mostly
Amazing book, yet Cycle of Hatred is better. Hard to believe people hated it.
Anthony Ljucovic
First installment of the series, absolutely loved it!
A must read for Fantasy and Warcraft fans.
Patrick Kinney
Rhonin is a badass. Nothing new.
super auftakt einer reihe
  • Lord of the Clans (WarCraft, #2)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #4)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #12)
  • World of Warcraft, Vol. 1
  • Warcraft Legends, Volume 5
  • Warcraft: Death Knight (World of Warcraft)
  • Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)
  • The Black Road (Diablo #2)
Richard A. Knaak is the bestselling author of Dragonlance novels, Dragonrealm (his own creation), six novels for Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo series, and six works in the Warcraft universe. He has also written five non-series fantasy books.

More about Richard A. Knaak...

WarCraft (5 books)
  • Lord of the Clans (WarCraft, #2)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #4)
  • WarCraft Archive (WarCraft, #1-3 & Of Blood and Honor)
The Legend of Huma (Dragonlance: Heroes, #1) Kaz the Minotaur (Dragonlance: Heroes, #4; Heroes II, #1) The Well of Eternity (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1) The Sundering (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #3) The Demon Soul (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #2)

“Narrow, yellow eyes with no visible pupils sparkled with merriment, but the sort of merriment that came from pulling the wings off flies or the arms off experimental subjects.” 0 likes