Start by marking “Reagan's Secret War: The Untold Story of His Fight to Save the World from Nuclear Disaster” as Want to Read:

On February 6, 1981, at his first National Security Council meeting, Ronald Reagan told his advisers: “I will make the decisions.” As Reagan’s Secret War reveals, these words provide the touchstone for understanding the extraordinary accomplishments of the Reagan administration, including the decisive events that led to the end of the Cold War.

In penning this book, New Yo
Published June 2nd 2009 by Crown Archetype (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Reagan's Secret War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reagan's Secret War

To be likened to Reagan, it would seem, is the ultimate compliment in many a Right wing circle. Don’t believe me? Just the other day Rand Paul and Ted Cruz were squabbling over claims of Reagan-ry. Rand Paul replied to queries regarding this matter:
“I don’t claim to be the next Ronald Reagan nor do I attempt to disparage fellow Republicans as not being sufficiently Reaganesque.”

The fact that these circles aren't exactly my cup of tea is neither here nor there, I just wanted to get a better und
Aug 14, 2009 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much of this book comes from Reagan's own diaries. An interesting glimpse into what he was thinking during the last years of the cold war. Liberals refuse to credit him for his contribution to the peaceful end of the cold war. I'm not sure why. An amazing man that we, as a nation, owe much.
Richard Lim
Mar 16, 2012 Richard Lim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reagan’s Secret War is a unique behind-the-scenes look into President Reagan’s dream to eliminate nuclear weapons. Most modern-day readers (both liberal and conservative) will be surprised to learn that Reagan was a nuclear abolitionist and a much more sophisticated thinker on defense and national security issues than he is portrayed. Throughout his political career, Reagan was portrayed by opponents, especially the Freeze Movement, as a war-mongering madman ready to start war with the Soviets. ...more
Paul Lunger
Martin & Annelise Anderson's book regarding Ronald Reagan's quest to end nuclear war forever is not a bad book in theory. The book itself is well intentioned & the excerpts from Reagan's personal diary & speeches aren't a bad thing although at times they get in the way of the importance of the history behind what Reagan did in ending the Cold War through 4 different Soviet premiers. Where the book goes astray is in formatting & typeface. All the excepts from Reagan are in gray bo ...more
Val Crofts
Aug 09, 2012 Val Crofts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was a very interesting look at Pres. Reagan and his struggle to rid the world of nuclear weapons...also his meetings with Soviet premier Gorbachev and others are detailed here..Pres. Reagan was an amazing man with a vision for our nation that never swayed...he deserves a lot of credit for ending the Cold War and for energizing our Economy
and our military...his 8 years were some of the best we had in the 20th century....
Jun 09, 2013 Lilo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody who is interested in what happens behind the curtains in Washington
The contents of this book are very, very interesting. The lay-out and the print could be better. Therefore the book is a bit unpleasant to read. The reason I did not finish reading this book is a trivial one: This book has ruggedly cut edges. I hate it when I have trouble turning pages.
The authors' use of Reagan's speeches as well as recently classified documents and access to Reagan's diaries does provide a resource of primary source material. However, the authors do not provide much analysis or insight. Often, the documents are simply put in the text as if they alone will support the authors' obviously pro-Reagan view.

The book could have also been intersting as an insiders' account of the Reagan White House during a critical period. However, the authors do no
May 30, 2013 Sky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The disappointing part about this book being so horrible is that with the access that the author had to personal Reagan documents it had the potential to be very, very good.

Unfortunately, this is a completely one-sided hagiography about Reagan that completely ignores any of the complexities that surrounded his presidency and the era. You are much better off reading 'The Dead Hand.'

What I had really hoped to get out of this book was a clearer understanding of why Gorbachev's Rekjavik proposal fo
Fred Kohn
Mar 26, 2016 Fred Kohn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After checking this book out from the library it sat on my shelf for several weeks. I was afraid it would be yet another cloying panegyric to the Great Hero of the American Right. Well, it wasn't that bad, but the book wasn't very helpful. Basically, the authors combed through the Reagan material and selected whatever quotes would put their hero in the best possible light and rejecting everything else. The chapter entitled "Soviet Strategy at Reykjavik: 1986" was particularly annoying because it ...more
Jun 03, 2014 Matthew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reagan's Secret War is written by a very sympathetic set of authors, and it is apparent that part of their objective in writing this book is to respond to criticism often leveled at Reagan. I would rather have had a more impartial look at these events. However, as one with limited knowledge of this aspect of Reagan's presidency, I benefited from the detailed progression through each development and the personal accounts, especially Reagan's own journal excerpts and correspondence (though there i ...more
Jack Raia
Feb 02, 2016 Jack Raia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reagan's Secret War casts Reagan in a light most of the public may not be used to. He took on the Soviet Union not only on nuclear weapons but on the restoration of human rights. He held the rights of individuals to be bestowed by God and looked at totalitarian states restricting human rights as evil, personified in the Berlin Wall, the demise of which he's wished since the 60's. He was steadfast on SDI, not viewing it as a bargaining chip for the reduction of nuclear weapons, and he looked at P ...more
Aug 28, 2016 Joel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really excellent book. It features declassified excerpts from Reagan's personal diary as well as transcripts from his summit meetings with Gorbachev. It really shows how dedicated Reagan was to ending the cold war and keeping the world safe from nuclear war. This book uses Reagan's own words to show how the real man was almost the exact opposite of the way he was portrayed by the media.
Gerald Curtis
Sep 04, 2013 Gerald Curtis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did not have a very high regard for Reagan's presidency before I read this account. Now I am amazed at his principles, determination, and accomplishments, in spite of continual doubt and even opposition from his advisers.

I wish I could go back in time and watch his eight years again, knowing now what was going on behind the scenes. A great biographical account of his presidency.
Nov 04, 2013 Rob rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio
I was prepared, going in, that this book was going to be a hagiography (it is). What I wasn't prepared for, and what I couldn't get past, was the sycophantic tone that this hero-worship was presented at. I would like to read about this subject with some distance in objectivity and time.
Douglas Graney
The Anderson's had a lazy approach to this book. Use Reagan diary entries, excerpts from his autobiography and some recently declassified papers interspersed with fawning over all things Reagan and prest-o! A weak book on Reagan.
Nov 17, 2014 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very informative book that gives you a great overview of world/American politics from 1981-1989. However it ia a bit of a tribute to President Reagan's legacy from an obvious supporter.
Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2014
Curtis rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Rob rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Pineowl rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Timothy A Cole
Timothy A Cole rated it did not like it
Oct 12, 2015
Chris Jordan
Chris Jordan rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Jared Nuzzolillo
Jared Nuzzolillo rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Tom rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2014
Felix Melchor
Felix Melchor rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2015
Collan rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
Erwin K
Erwin K rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Tracey rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2013
Daryl Crompton
Daryl Crompton rated it liked it
May 10, 2013
John Hanson
John Hanson rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014