A Book Dragon

A Book Dragon

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Nonesuch, the last in a line of dragons, uses his unique ability to change in size to survive for six centuries, during which time he observes such different humans as a medieval monk, an eighteenth-century London chemist, and a modern American bookseller.
Mass Market Paperback, 197 pages
Published March 1991 by Avon Books (Mm) (first published 1987)

Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
344th out of 765 books — 1,499 voters
The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinAssassin's Apprentice by Robin HobbA Storm of Swords by George R.R. MartinA Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin
Character Driven Fantasy Books
182nd out of 209 books — 144 voters

More lists with this book...

Robert Runte
Review from circa 1989

This is one of those books that almost makes me wish I was a classroom teacher again, because it's the sort of thing that demands to be read to a room full of 12 year olds.

A Book Dragon is the delightful tale of Nonesuch, a dragon who adopts an illustrated manuscript as his personal treasure and defends it against all comers. Nonesuch survives into the present day by shrinking to insect size, and becomes a fly-on-the-wall observer of various human comings and goings. Kushne...more
Cheryl in CC NV
4.5 stars. This is the kind of book that should be read at different stages in the reader's life. It's a fun adventure with funny characters that kids as young as 8 would enjoy. It's a thoughtful commentary on human nature that more mature or experienced readers can appreciate. And it's a metaphysical metaphorical fable that academics can chew over.

I kept thinking of Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn while reading this - though that's a book I didn't 'get' when I read it so long ago, and don't...more
GoldGato
I own over three thousand books and have read many more. But this charming book is on my Top Ten all-time list. The story of a dragon who finds its ambition as a Book Dragon is whimsical and also sad, in a way. It takes Nonesuch the Dragon a while to find his bookworm ambition, six centuries in fact. The adventures take the reader through the ages, and children will be in wonderment at the description of plague-stricken London and caves full of treasure.

This is the kind of story that allows us t...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This is the first book I've read by Kushner, and, I must say, I love his style of writing. Here he tells the story of a dragon, Nonesuch, from his life in as a youngster five hundred years ago to today, as he guards his treasure, an illuminated manuscript of the Book of Hours. Kushner introduces some dragon lore that I've never heard before, such as a dragon's ability to change size by eating or fasting allows him to hide in modern times, and a dragon's being visible in the flames of a fire. Par...more
Debbie
This was a charming book. Though it was written for children, it's a story that adults will enjoy as well, filled with history and even some (well-hidden) philosophy. It's a short book and an easy read. While I loved the story, I also enjoyed the little illustrations that pepper the margins of the book as well, like an illuminated manuscript. The book's out of print, but snatch it up if you see it at a used book sale. I'm glad I did.
Teresa
Awww, that was precious, though the ending was... odd? But yes, I would love a book dragon to reside in my library too!
Mary Catelli
A little marvel of a book. The story of the dragon Nonesuch, growing up with his grandmother, and what she taught him. Particularly the importance of guarding his treasure. How she left him and he learned how to grow smaller as well as larger, and how he came to regard an illuminated Book of Hours as his treasure, and what he had to do to guard it.

The interior art is something else. It's the lovely little marginalia like that it describes in the Book of Hours that give it a particularly nice tou...more
Sharon
This charming fantasy tale concerns Nonesuch, a dragon who begins his life in the forest, but then becomes the inspiration for an illuminated figure in a medieval manuscript. Because all dragons must guard a treasure, Nonesuch decides that he must guard this book. He goes to sleep in the box where his book is kept and, through various adventures and events, wakes up again in a modern-day bookshop. Truly a delightful story, and one I enjoyed just as much upon my re-read as I did the first time ou...more
Daleb.
Mar 04, 2011 Daleb. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes dragons, or who have/know of children who luv to be read to.
Recommended to Daleb. by: I haven't a clue how i learned of this book, but i suspect it was while i worked at Waldenbooks ages ago.
I've got this book packed away somewhere back in east Texas at my parents home. I've read it several times and luv the story of this fine little dragon. The illistrations are fantastic. Why can't they still do stuff like this in books???
A very great lite read, that is sure to pick you up and make you smile
xoDaleB.xo
Emily
When I was younger my grandmother bought this book for me as a gift at a yard sale. I still have this book, it is slightly beat up and worn from many readings. The book was a great read in my youth and I will even admit to pulling it off the shelf for a re-read as an adult. :)
Kerry
Reading with Marcus.

It's taken us a long while, but we finished this last night. Marcus gave it a 9/10 (I'd probably given in more like a 7 or 8, but it's his call).

I'll get him to offer a few words on the book when I can get him to focus on it for a moment.
Marie
The title and blurb alone got me; I can't wait to read it.

ETA: I really enjoyed this; it had a childish slant to it, but there was something so adult about the story. It was also so descriptive, I could imagine Nonesuch the Dragon quite clearly.
T J
This a one read book about a dragon through time and his love of books.
Beautiful little story about a dragon who guards the single item of his "hoard" -- an illuminated Bible -- through the centuries. One of my all-time favorites.
Heather
Oct 16, 2011 Heather marked it as to-read
Picked up this book at the library's used book sale. Sounds cute.
Nomme
Nomme added it
Jul 22, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Chelsea Holland
Chelsea Holland marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Derek G
Derek G marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Annick Leroy
Annick Leroy marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Lisa Ann
Lisa Ann marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Sam Poole
Sam Poole marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
The Violin-Maker's Gift Uncle Jacob's Ghost Story A Thief Among Statues Peter's Pixie Night Voyagers