The Glassblower's Daughter

The Glassblower's Daughter

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Greta's life is carefree until the abrupt disappearance of her elder sister, and all her courage can't save her from the sinister shadows that engulf her. Even when she finds a way out betrayal and treachery threaten her.
Published November 16th 2010 by Clarke, Frances

To ask other readers questions about The Glassblower's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glassblower's Daughter

Wordsmith
The Glassblowers Daughter
By Frances Clarke
276 Pages
5★★★ ★★
I'm going to begin my review by quoting a fellow reviewer of this book. "Raven" conveys what I feel, with such eloquence, it bears repeating.
"This book reads like a single sentence, in that it is so seamlessly, exquisitely woven, it flows like a completely natural and unstoppable expression of a life from the moment the reader begins it. It is like picking up a life- between its covers, the events of this life are occurring, and when one...more
Tanya
2 stars isn't the best rating, but I can't say I liked the book, but I didn't hate it either. It covers a very intense topic and tries to do it as tastefully as possible. Warning here, the language is coarse in spots, and has some rather intense scenes, it may not be for many readers who have suffered from any kind of sexual abuse.

What brought the rating down for me was the general time flow. The book didn't flow for me, I often felt confused at the age and passage of time. between this and the...more
Stefan Iddon-meyers
I LOVED this book. It covers a vast time period and so yes, the book jumps years in places but you just kind of go with it - we see how events in the main character's childhood affect her as she grows up.

I found myself rooting for the main character, Greta - I loved her ingenuity, her resourcefulness, her strength in the face of some really quite harrowing events in her life. And YES the book deals with some quite disturbing themes, but it is never gratuitous and doesn't dwell on the nasty even...more
Rivkah
I'm not sure how to categorize this- historical fiction? suspense? Mystery? all of the above.

This book reads like a single sentence, in that it is so seamlessly, exquisitely woven, it flows like a completely natural and unstoppable expression of a life from the moment the reader begins it. It is like picking up a life- between its covers, the events of this life are occurring, and when one picks up the book one simply hops on the train and is completely involved. It left me breathless; I stayed...more
Sue
This is a poignant book about a dysfunctional family. That said, there are some less than savory words and scenes. Nothing is graphic but the implications are there. I loved this book. It will resonate with me for years to come. The main character is a fragile, insecure young woman who finds herself at the very end of the book. A great read!
Emily
The way the author brought so many issues to light in this book was very clever. I really felt for the main character. I also love how she eventually pulled her life together! Well written, and even though the story was very sad and almost disturbing at times, I would recommend!
Anne Mullins
Hard to get into at first due to the strong Scottish brogue of the father and use of British terminology (loo, boot, etc.). I really enjoyed the book once I got into the first few chapters.
Martha
The story was told in short bursts, without flow. I kept hoping it would get better because it was recommended to me. Even though at some point it seems story might get interesting, it never does.
Patricia
I actually got this book in error but it turned to be a very good story. When bad things - really bad things happen to you, they don't have to make you into someone you don't want to be!
Jack
A well written tale of a young woman growing up and trying to deal with unfinished business from her childhood. I warmed to the central character with her doubts and insecurities.
Rachel
Wow. I am impressed by this book. I think the character development could've been a bit stronger, but her seeming detachment may have been symptomatic of her experiences.
Lauren
really trite and not very interesting. I read it all the way through to find out the fate of a secondary character. The primary character was annoying and unreal.
Nicole G.
A book about a dysfunctional family. Some beautiful passages in a book about a pretty rough topic - incest. And sisters lost to each other.
Macpudel
The best Kindle freebie I have read to date. Portrays the redemption of a sexual abuse survivor with a believable and happy ending.
Nancy
If this book were a movie, it would be a bad "B" movie.

PS: The ending redeems the story.
Liz
Interesting book. A little slow at times but all in all, a nice read.a
Luckngrace
A tale of many years of heartbreak and finally learning to adjust and renew.
Breeda
It took me a while to get into this but I'm really glad I stuck with it.
Beth
Hard to get into at the beginning. But once I was into it, I enjoyed it.
Kendra Tabor
It was well written, just not quite what I was in the mental mood to read.
Jay
Very good..kept me wanting to find out more about the main character.
Angie
Started off " choppy " ...ended beautifully !
Rosemary
Loved this book, couldn't wait to get back to it!
Kelley
Jun 17, 2013 Kelley added it
I only read 5%. Didn't care for this.
Krisztina
Sad and heavy but well-written.
Krista
SM
SM marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
  • The Art of Disappearing
  • Gargoyles
  • The Most Wanted
  • The Book About Blanche and Marie
  • A Dead Red Heart (A Dead Red #2)
  • Simple Simon
  • Love Letters of Henry VIII to Anne Boleyn
  • Abel Sanchez and Other Stories
  • Sourland
  • Every Day is Mother's Day
  • The Noon God
Unusual Salami and Other Stories My Affair with God, His Affair with Devotion My Affair with God, His Affair with Divorce Puppy Potty Training: How to House Train Your Puppy or Dog the Easy Way Remembering the Revolution: Memory, History, and Nation Making from Independence to the Civil War