Start by marking “First Thrills: High-Octane Stories from the Hottest Thriller Authors” as Want to Read:
First Thrills: High-Octane Stories from the Hottest Thriller Authors

First Thrills: High-Octane Stories from the Hottest Thriller Authors (First Thrills complete)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  868 ratings  ·  91 reviews

New York Times bestselling author Lee Child and International Thriller Writers, Inc., present a collection of remarkable stories in First Thrills. Showcasing many of the organization’s bestselling authors as well as rising stars in the genre, here are twenty-five brand-new, never-before-published stories packed with murder, mystery, and mayhem.

• A cunning criminal thinks h

Published February 1st 2011 by Corvus (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about First Thrills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Thrills

Mark Soone
I gave it 3 stars, but my average was 2.76 which is about where I would rank it for me..just below 3, but certainly above 2. There are some very good stories in this collection and I guess those alone warrant a 3 star rating, but the second half of this collection really lagged on excitement IMHO. For me the first story by Hurwitz remains the highlight of the collection.

01 The Thief by Gregg Hurwitz- 5 stars
Other than reading a short story bu Hurwitz in another ITW inc. anthology, I am not famil...more
Patty Marvel
Run, do not walk, to your nearest library or book store or computer with Amazon.com fired up AND GET THIS!!!! This is a collection of twenty-five short stories in the "thriller" genre, about eleven of which are by well-established writers you've heard of and the remaining fourteen are by relative newcomers. That's the point according to Lee Child, who acts as editor and contributor - to have just enough goodies by people you know so you buy the book and read stuff by the new kids. Added bonus if...more
Tim

Wade
I looked forward to this book, and was mostly happy with the short stories. I'm going to trust that the compiler/editor has a better sense of the genre that I, so I won't rate any story less than a "3". I figure 1 & 2 ratings didn't make muster with them. I obtained an average for the overall rating. Here's my rubric:

3 - not my cup of tea; never grabbed me.
4 - pretty good stuff; good story.
5 - amazing...I didn't want the story to end.

4 - The Thief, by Gregg Hurwitz
5 - Scutwork, by CJ Lyons
4...more
Linda Munro
I normally stray from anthologies, but suddenly I am finding that this is the way to introduce myself to new writers. I find myself in a less likely mode to purchase anthologies simply due to the fact that short stories lack detail and without detail, they mainly fall flat. Most of the stories in this anthology did not fall flat, yet each of them can easily be expanded upon to make either a novel or novella. This anthology contains twenty-five short stories, each will make the reader eager to le...more
Midnight Blue
This is a great anthology; in content, and in the very purpose of it. Lee Child has collected stories by well-known and successful writers and writers who are just getting started in the Thriller genre. The stories were all good, some were great, and there was even a Civil War era zombie story (every anthology should have a zombie story). I highly recommend this book!
Saritha
While they were all good stories, I didn't particularly care for the UFO one or the zombie one. I particularly loved Rebecca Cantrell's On the Train and Grant McKenzie's Underbelly.

The book has achieved its purpose of introducing through a story, authors that a reader may not ever come across. I will look out for McKenzie and Cantrell now.
Lori Mills
I have not finished this book yet, but have read several of the short stories. I am really liking it. They are short and written by the best thriller writers. The stories are reminisent of the Twilight Zone stories on TV years ago.
Shaun
If you like Lee Child stories, this is a book of short stories along the vein of Lee Child. I found most of the stories interesting and I'll most likely check out many of the short story authors other best selling books.
Craig S.
It’s hard to build a “thriller” in just a few pages without going overboard or getting too quickly into the action. To their credit, all the authors in this collection do it. Highly recommended.
Jezebel Jorge
Great stories from some of my favorite writers and lots of new creepy brilliance to check out. JT Ellison's story was my favorite, but they were all entertaining and well written.
Cora Judd
A great anthology of thriller short stories - none relied on gore, shock or the predictable victim. Both new and established authors.
Jim
If you like great short stories then read this book! Fast, fun, and great reading
Dwayne Keller
Very enjoyable; a nice collection of stories and every one a winner.
Sheila
A compilation of thriller stories edited by Lee Child
Tim
This anthology contains the writings of 12 bestsellers with 13 new writers, all of whom are associated with the International Thriller Writers, Inc. organization. Although quick reads for the most part, several of these short stories are rather pedestrian and predictable for anyone who reads widely. Unfortunately, Editor Lee Child’s “The Bodyguard” is among these: good fast-paced action with a weak ending. But balancing this assembly is Marc Paoletti’s “Chloe,” which is not a tale for the squeam...more
Robert
The following is a First Reads giveaway winner review:

As in all story collections you will have to take the good with the bad. Now the premise for the book I do like. A bunch of known thriller writers get together and write stories to be published for free. The reasoning is to sell a collection of stories that contains new writers they feel are going to be the next big thing. The part I found funny was that the big authors were the ones that I found that their stories sucked. Bill Camerons story...more
Todd Russell
I received a complimentary review copy of First Thrills as part of the Goodreads giveaway program.

It's a nice hardcover book with the price of $25.95 US on the inside dust jacket. There are 25 stories in this collection, most of which are from thriller authors plus a couple mystery and even a little horror sprinkled in. There isn't any theme to the collection, which I think would have made it better, so if that's the only kind of collection you enjoy reading, you might want to keep looking.

It's...more
Scott Wright
This has a whole bunch of short stories by a group from the Thriller Writers of America group. Some are from big names you know and others are new and you may have never heard of them. What I liked about this is that you could move through several authors and now I can go back and try some of those I have never read anything by. A few I did not like at all and some others were so so, but many were great if short.
Peppermintyl
The best story was "The Bodyguard" by Lee Child. I liked how the phrases were used. And how the ending ended along the lines that if your client has to protect you instead of the other way round, you're just a phony. Short but exciting. The rest of the stories were not that much to my liking.
Bia
What made me read through the collection of stories, was Lee Child's introduction. It really touched me how he and another 11 authors are giving a headstart to new writers in the short story world. And that is real nice, if I'd be writer too, I would be more than grateful to have such help. And it makes me proud to see that some of my fave authors are doing this. It makes me proud to have authors who want to keep the writing alive.

The stories were good, and they were as promised, very thrilling....more
Caroline
I quite enjoyed this collection of tales, 25 in all. Contributers include Lee Child, Jefferey Deaver, Karin Slaughter and Ken Bruen. Murder and mayhem is the order of the day. A must read for those who like their crime fiction short and sweet.
Andreas Strom
This was a mixed bag, like most short story collections, but this one had more good stories than mediocre ones, and only a couple of bad and/or predictable ones. I will be looking out for some of the authors I never heard of before, but a good few will be overlooked - including some well established names.
Shane
The Gato Conundrum, by John Lescroart - 4
The Princess of Felony Flats, by Bill Cameron. - 3
Sa...more
Jim
Awesome collection of shorts! Well worth the purchase price and a little something for most taste. I enjoyed them all but my favorite was "On The Train."
Sandy
I put this book on hold at the library and waited 11 1/2 months for it. I almost bought it several times but decided to wait it out. I'm glad I didn't buy it. There were 3 very good stories, 3 good stories and the rest were run of the mill or just down right blah. Maybe I don't know what a thriller is but I didn't sit on the edge of my seat while I was listening to this book.

The concept of established authors helping unknown authors along is admirable but the established authors should put forth...more
Steven
A really good book, with many fine stories. My favorites were "The Thief" and "The Dead Club."
Kash
Some really good stories and some soso, however Lee child was top notch!
Jill Manske
This is a Whitman's Sampler book - some really delicious short stories written by some of my favorite thriller writers punctuated by a few really strange stories that were like biting into what you thought was a caramel and finding out it's that nasty nougat. Overall, a good read. Some of the stories were surprising, with interesting plot twists. Even the ones that weren't so good were over quickly. This would be an excellent airplane book.
Molly
An interesting variety of short thriller stories from 28 different authors. Some were kind of boring, but then had really surprising endings that almost made them worth reading (almost), and likewise some started out promising, but didn't deliver in the end. All in all though I'd say it was a pretty good book, especially considering one can pick and choose which stories to read or not
  • Thriller 2: Stories You Just Can't Put Down
  • A Moment on the Edge: 100 Years of Crime Stories by Women
  • Thriller: Stories To Keep You Up All Night
  • Slices of Night (Stacy Killian)
  • Love Is Murder
  • Chopin Manuscript
  • The Unremarkable Heart and Other Stories
  • Riding The Snake
  • The Lineup: The World's Greatest Crime Writers Tell the Inside Story of Their Greatest Detectives
  • Die Twice (David Trevellyan, #2)
  • The Dead Witness: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Detective Stories
  • Tiger Paw
  • The Rich and the Dead
  • Damaged (Maggie O'Dell, #8)
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • Jake Ransom and the Howling Sphinx
  • In the Shadow of the Master
  • The Border Lords (Charlie Hood # 4)
Lee Child was born October 29th, 1954 in Coventry, England, but spent his formative years in the nearby city of Birmingham. By coincidence he won a scholarship to the same high school that JRR Tolkien had attended. He went to law school in Sheffield, England, and after part-time work in the theater he joined Granada Television in Manchester for what turned out to be an eighteen-year career as a pr...more
More about Lee Child...
Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1) One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9) Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2) Without Fail (Jack Reacher, #6) Tripwire  (Jack Reacher, #3)

“were under the very erroneous impression that we had money. Of” 4 likes
“veterans and remarkable rookies. International Thriller Writers, Inc. (ITW) cofounder, David” 3 likes