Start by marking “The World on Blood” as Want to Read:
The World on Blood

The World on Blood (James Whistler #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  315 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Nasaw's stunningly original novel introduces readers to a group of contemporary "blood addicts" in Northern California who have for the last 20 years--under the leadership of charismatic and cheerfully immoral multi-millionaire James Whistler and erstwhile intelligence officer and horror novelist Nick Santos--been satifying their boundless thirst for blood.
Published April 1st 1996 by Dutton Books

To ask other readers questions about The World on Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World on Blood

'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerDark Lover by J.R. WardInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Best Adult Vampire Books
292nd out of 1,180 books — 6,615 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerYou Suck by Christopher MooreVampire Academy by Richelle MeadSunshine by Robin McKinleyDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Unusual, Alternative Vampires
153rd out of 309 books — 509 voters

More lists with this book...

Robert Dunbar
“Hi, everybody. My name is Nick, and I’m a vampire.”

“Hi, Nick!”

Yes, it’s a meeting of Vampires Anonymous, the central conceit of Jonathan Nasaw’s hip horror novel. In this moonlit world, blood is just another drug, the ultimate high, the ultimate aphrodisiac. And no one ever needs to die for it – just a little sip does the trick. Of course, there are drawbacks. There’s the killer hangover, and blood-abuse does make a person light-sensitive. Otherwise the lifestyle doesn’t seem too bad. True, vam
DJ Harris
Mar 27, 2013 DJ Harris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Vampire Lovers and Romantics
Recommended to DJ by: Vampire Research Center
Bondama
The reason I rate this book so highly is primarily because the author approaches the vampire mythology in a totally new way; so toss out all your old notions, because apparently vampires are normal humans until they realize that they are addicted to blood itselt - Nasaw has a sense of humor, as well - He even has a 12-step program for recovering vamps!!
Samuel Snoek-Brown
I bought this book for two reasons: 1) It was only $4 on a bargain shelf in a bookstore, 2) the premise intrigued me. I, like other reviewers of this book, was ready for a fresh take on vampirism. And I got it.

Unfortunately, I had to weed through pages and pages of cliche, nonsense, and over-romantic, unnecessary description to get that fresh take. The book started out boring, just a guy in his bedroom drinking a "mysterious" liquid from a Clamato jar. (Incidentally, I don't know why all the mys
Jazzy
What a difference a decade (plus) makes. I read TWOB when it was first published and I loved it with a burning firey passion. I put it on my keeper shelf because I was certain I would want to savor it again at a future date. So here we are 16 years later and...it's definitely lost some of it's charm. I still, solid 3 1/2 stars liked it; but it definitely didn't come close to my previous 5 star appraisal.

I think what I originally liked about TWOB was the original approach it took towards vampiri
Victoria
I’ve been a fan of Nasaw’s since first reading The Girls He Adored nearly a decade ago. Since then, I’ve tracked down all of his other books, because I really enjoy his writing style. This is actually the second time that I have read this vampire book (with a twist, as blood is more like a drug). And re-reading it is just as enjoyable as it was the first time around! There is a lot of violence and sex here, but this is a vampire novel, after all. Nasaw’s take on the vampire myth, as presenting h ...more
Tiffany-Rae Lowe
I though this was a very interesting book. It is a completely different view of vampires. Making being a vampire and addiction instead of a 'curse' like most people make it. I thought this take on things was great. I was upset at the ending. Leaves a lot to be desired. I then found out there is another one which I had to buy because I would like to find out what happens. I'll be reviewing that one as soon as it gets here and I finish. Number 2 will soon be read- Shadows
Jacqui
A VERY serious vampire book...it moves slowly, but the story is REALLY good......if you're truly into vampires. These are not your typical "can't-be-in-the-sun-allergic-to-garlic-stake-thru-the-heart" vampires. These are real people that really drink blood because it makes them "high". I don't recommend this book for anyone except the VERY vampire-loving! It is graphic, violent, and it involves babies...without spoiling it, don't read this book unless you are an AVID vampire fan. If you are, you ...more
Shannon
Mar 23, 2009 Shannon rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
I was bored by the 3rd chapter. Slow paced and the new "twist" on vampirism was a real let down. I dont want to see my favorite mythological creatures downplayed as little more than modern junkies - I was so disappointed I quit reading and tossed the book in the "for the used book store" box.
Stephanie
Aug 04, 2007 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anne rice fans
Shelves: horrormystery
If you have read anne rice and enjoyed her vampire chronicles then you will probably enjoy this book that puts a more modern "believable" twist on what a vampire is. Suspenseful and erotic at times. Definitly a page turner.
A.
I'm not sure. I kind of had a love hate relationship with this book. The whole vampire thing was a little different to read, however I did get sucked into the storyline and had to finish the book.
Crystal
Apr 01, 2008 Crystal rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: realistic vampire lovers
This is one of my favorite vampire stories. The whole underground world that Nasaw writes about in this book is amazing. There are quite a few surprises that it kept me on my toes till the end.
Megan
This book was great. Vampiric but from a drug stand point, instead of a food. The characters met as a VA group(Vampires Anonymous).

Full of sex, vampires and witches. Not for the prudish.
Angela Gustafson
This book is wonderful, raunchy and kinda gross...I would not let my 17 year old read it, but I loved it when I read it when I was 22.
Genaphur
This vampire telling is one of the coolest twists. It's not like any other I have read. A tale of addiction in a different light.
Tuesday's Child
Must have missed the point completely, this book didn't do anything for me.
Between the Bind
May 26, 2012 Between the Bind rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Between the Bind by: fictionvixon
The World On Blood...oh how you have confused and frustrated me over the past two weeks. This was one of those books that I simply HAD to finish...but couldn't bring myself to read more than a chapter at a time. Until the last three chapters - which I read rather rapidly.

This book was exhausting and infuriating while being well written with a great premise...it just didn't capture me.

TWOB was written from several point of views - that of the main character Nick Santos, his reverend, James Whistl
Kaine Andrews
Oh, what can I say about this one? Well, it's okay. That's really it, in terms of the thumbnail recommendation. It's okay. It's not bad, it's not great. Just okay. I suppose a little more explanation as to the whys and hows is probably in order, so here we go:

First off, the good points. There's actually quite a few. The language and structure is well done, quick and easy to read (despite the author's love of the occasional rarely-used term or word, which I'll address in a bit.) The concepts are
Nancy
I'm confused by all the good reviews on this book. If I wanted to read about addicts and meetings, I'd read about addicts and meetings. This is not a vampire book! Its about a group of crazy addicts who get high by drinking people's blood and then try to take down their self-formed self help group. Why bring down the self-help group, why not just leave? Why are the people in the group so intent on keeping people in who don't want to be there? Let them go. The inside jacket says its a "gripping t ...more
Emily Maynard
I actually read this out of order--I read Shadows first. If this had been my introduction to this world instead of my second trip I may have liked it better. Nevertheless, it was well done and I enjoyed it.
Sandra Ingham
This is one I am hunting to have back in my bookshelf! Oh how I love this book!! Having always been a fan of vampire tales, this one was different to anything I had ever read and I fell for it completely. I had a different favorite character every time I read it.
If you are a fan of vampire stories but have grown tired of the old re-telling of the Dracula tale and/or (dare I even mention it? *cringes*) twilight.. Give this a read!
Vfields used to be Happy!
This was one of the strangest books I’ve ever read. Picture a world were Vampires have to discover they’re vamps on their own. They are addicted to blood; it’s their drug to get stoned on. They have wild orgies lead by wiccas. They are the brains and the vamps are bad and over sexed. This is really the story of two friends on opposite ends of the stick. The sex was kinky and wild.
Amanda Lyons
I got only 70 pages into this mess before giving it up. I rarely stop reading a book unless its premise truly bothers or bores me. This book attempts to make vampires into junkies the premise ended up leaving me bored.
Beckey
This is one those books written in different POVs which can be confusing...
The back cover makes it seem more interesting than the actual book... Book isn't for everyone, boring for me personally..
A.
Feb 03, 2010 A. marked it as to-read
Recommended to A. by: LambdaSF/K
For a certain percentage of humanity, alcohol is an addictive
substance. At the beginning of this series, everyone is part of VA.
Then, things get complicated.
Roz Carter
I read this a long time ago, ten, maybe 15 years ago. I remember thinking it paled in comparison to Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.
Jezebel
Only addiction and sex.
This book is nothing special. I wanted to stop reading...
Dfordoom
Amusing tale about a 12 Step Prigram for vampires.
Velvetink
Sep 10, 2010 Velvetink marked it as to-read
Shelves: horror-etc
vampires

*note to self. Copy from A.
Rivella
hat mir nicht gefallen
  • Blood Rites (Austra Family, #3)
  • Slave of My Thirst (aka  Supping With Panthers)
  • Kiss of the Vampire (Creed, #1)
  • The Fridgularity
  • Keeper of the King (Ethical Vampires #1)
  • Dark Dance (Blood Opera Sequence, #1)
  • The Road to Hell is Paved With Zombies (Zombie Fighter Jango, #1)
  • Priority
  • Rulers Of Darkness
  • Jordan's Brains: A Zombie Evolution
  • Blutportale
  • The Third Section (The Danilov Quintet,  #3)
  • The Golden
  • John Saul: Hellfire, The Unwanted, Sleepwalk
  • The Asperkid's Launch Pad: Home Design to Empower Everyday Superheroes
  • Billy
Jonathan Nasaw is the acclaimed author of Fear Itself and The Girls He Adored, both Literary Guild Selections. He lives in Pacific Grove, California.

Series:
* E.L. Pender
* James Whistler
More about Jonathan Nasaw...
The Girls He Adored Fear Itself When She Was Bad Twenty Seven Bones The Boys from Santa Cruz

“Fears of the future [are] almost always rooted in the past. (175)” 2 likes