¡La Paloma encuentra un perro caliente!

¡La Paloma encuentra un perro caliente! (Pigeon)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  13,606 ratings  ·  530 reviews
Pigeon's back! And he's found un perro caliente! But a hungry (and very sly) duckling enters the scene and wants a bite of the hot dog. Who will be the more clever bird?

For the first time, Mo Willems's New York Times best-selling The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! is available in Spanish for a new group of kids to fall in love with.
Published May 24th 2011 by Disney-Hyperion (first published April 19th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about ¡La Paloma encuentra un perro caliente!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ¡La Paloma encuentra un perro caliente!

Maaganiit Noori
Also known as "Miimii Miikaan Gizhood Nimosh" - Our Ojibwe language table did a full translation of the title and when we met with Mo, he granted us permission to publish it in exchange for teaching him to say,"Nd'Anishinaabemtaw dibishko Kchi-Mookamaan-Akiing biizhikii: (I speak Ojibwe like an American cow.).

Email mnoori@umich.edu if you't like the full text ; ) We also have "Gego Bigidnike Mibizowaad Kchidaabaan" the companion title.
midnightfaerie
We read several "okay" books today and then this one. From the start it had every single one of my children and myself completely enraptured with our pigeon and his hot dog dilemma. The illustrations are always so simplistic yet detailed, and I love the expressions on the characters face. Such a range of emotions are betrayed brilliantly from hostility to a bored sort of sarcasm that almost makes you feel our pigeon is rolling his eyes. A wonderful book, and a great lesson about sharing to boot,...more
Anna
So I have to admit that we first read "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus" because it's so well-loved and both my son and I didn't love it that much. BUT, I thought I would give this book a shot and boy, it's funny. It cracks me up. And my son now walks around asking "Does a hot dog taste like chicken?"
Amy
Jan 19, 2009 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 2nd graders
Recommended to Amy by: the kids
The kids loved it, especially my voice for the little duck.
Robin
PreSchool-Grade 1-In this second book featuring the star of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! (Hyperion, 2003), the shoe is on the other foot. Once again, the action starts on the title page, with the pigeon's joyous discovery of a hot dog. However, his initial delight is dampened when a small, wide-eyed duckling appears and asks, in a seemingly innocent manner, "Is that a `hot dog'?" The interloper's younger status is conveyed not just through his tinier size, but also through his dialogue, w...more
Ashley
The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog is a humorous tale about a pigeon's attempt to enjoy a hot dog. However, before he can take his first mouthwatering bite, along comes a duckling who ruins the moment by asking lots of questions.

The story is told entirely in dialogue which makes it fast pace and straight to the point. You can feel the tension between the pigeon and duckling building with each page as the language becomes more precise, the words get larger, and the illustrations become more animated. Th...more
Michelle Carlston
At first we found the pigeon amusing and my 3y/o son loves him. But now that he has memorized this (and "Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus") I've come to think that Pigeon is sending the wrong message. I see my kid displaying temper outbursts similar to Pidge. I s'pose it's a jumping-off point to discuss, but at his age it could be a waste of breath. Bottom line: cute and fun, but could pose problems to the highly suggestible.
Diana
This fun book starts with pigeon’s joyous discovery of a hot dog. A little duckling comes along and asks, “Is that a hot dog?” The pigeons delight with his discovery is dampened when the duckling asks numerous questions about the hot dog. The duckling tells the pigeon that he never tasted a hot dog before. The pigeon insists that it is only his hot dog by saying, “finders keepers.” In the end, the sly duckling suggests to share the hot dog. The ducking remarks, “Need ketchup” while he was eating...more
Jacoba
The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog by Mo Willems (2004)
Picture Book
Book
Plot summary: Pigeon learns about sharing when he meets a duckling who has never tasted a hot dog before.
No special considerations
Review citation (if available):Flynn, Kitty. Horn Book Magazine , May/Jun2004, Vol. 80 Issue 3, p323-323
Section source used to find the material: Golden Archer Awards, Horn Book Magazine review
Recommended age: Pre-K-2.
Linnea McGowan
I somehow decided that the duckling was from the Bronx (but still with a high pitch voice) while I was reading this to my classes and storytimes... I don't know why. On the upside, Heather was in stiches when I recreated the voice for her on the desk (at the library) tonight. HEY I just wanted each character to have a distinctive voice!

...I'm pretty smart for a duckling you know.
Isha Barrie
The pigeon is at it again but this time it is with duck. I can't get over the pigion books they are too funny, the pigeon is just soooo over the top that I can't help but laugh. My students can't get enough of him either they love all his antics and love how the duck was able to get the hot dog in the end, they ask me to read this story non-stop :)
Cheryl in CC NV
Oh gosh - I can't believe I'd never heard of this author before Tamara and Dewey of Unshelved, Vol. 1 alerted me. So very funny! I'm not positive, but I think tots would like it as much as older siblings and parents/caregivers.
Patty
Reading Level: Primary

This is a great story about sharing. The pigeon does not want to share his hot dog, but will the duckling convince him to.

This picture book is an excellent example of using typeface to aid in creating emotion and feeling from the characters in the story.
Hana Sm.
I liked the crayon looking drawings–not many authors draw pictures using crayons. A pigeon finds a hot dog lying on the ground; he dances around excitedly. Just as he's about to eat it, a little duck stares at him with big blue eyes...(view spoiler)...more
Diana Pettis
Not really a book I would use for a guided reading lesson. I would use it as a read-aloud. Tonight I just finished reading it to my 6 year old son Xander and he loved it. YOu can make your voice sound like the characters.
Robert
Pictures convey a surprising amount of emotion considering their simplicity. Some of the words seem pretty big for a kids book, but I guess kids are pretty smart these days.
*Queen Diva*
The pigeon's facial expressions were amazing!! I loved this book! The illustrations were so fantastic for the story. And the silliness that ensued, of course, was great!
My four and a half year old nephew giggled and requested several re-readings.Simple, to be sure, but a definite kid pleaser.
Jamie
I love the pigeon books. This one might be my very favorite. (I don't even think it needs mustard.)
JJ
Sep 23, 2007 JJ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children 4 and up
Shelves: picturebooks
A very funny book!
David
The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! (Pigeon) by Mo Willems is a very funny story about a duckling who wants a taste of pigeon's hot dog.

****Spoilers!!!*****

Willems' illustrations feature a bit more action in this pigeon story. The cute-and-I-know-it duckling is a hoot. I loved pigeon flapping his wings as he flys down to the tasty morsel. Other favoritte images include happy dance, aaaaaaaaahhhh, tasty morsel, splendor, like a hot dog, eight panel spread, and final image.

As good as the illustrations ar...more
Eden
The cover:

The conflict that the title doesn't suggest is established well, with Pigeon's first bite already interrupted by the duckling's proclamation of the title. And I don't know if you can tell from that image, but there's a little bubble below the duckling's head that says "With Special Guest Star: The Duckling!" OMG, so cute.

The book:

So I never watched Sesame Street, but apparently Mo Willems wrote for it. And I'll say that if his writing on the screen is as good as his picture books, I'll...more
Bailey Ubellacker
I must say that this book has a very special place in my heart because it was the favorite of my youngest brother as he started his reading career. He loved the pigeon and it gave me great joy to read it with him and watch his adorable face light in share joy from the mischievous things the pigeon gets himself into. Inside the front cover inscribed by my mother is “To: Samuel, Love Mom: Happy G’parents Day 2005.” The pictures are simple and look as if they were drawn with a black crayon filled i...more
Kaycee
If you have children and you haven't introduced them to any of Mo Willems books go ahead and head to the library right now. The Pigeon books are especially fun for children to read. Most of them allow for some sort of interaction with the character and children will love answering the pigeon's questions or telling him NO! The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog is a little different then the other Pigeon books I've read. There is another character with him that interrupts him and keeps asking him questions....more
Wendy Daniel
Mo Willems began his career as a writer for Sesame Street. His first book was Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. It won the Caldecott Award and was followed by many other award-winning picture books. He also created a series of easy readers with two animal characters named Piggy and Elephant. He lives in Massachusetts. Here is the short version of his biography that appears on his web site.
“Mo Willems makes funny drawings that hopefully will make you laugh.”
“A good picture book can be a child’s...more
Maggie Ward
Since I'm looking for books to teach sharing, I found this book and see its great potential. This book introduces the pigeon who finds a hot dog and is very excited to eat it. However, a hungry duckling comes in and the pigeon has to decide if he's going to share or not. I would love to introduce this book to a class who is struggling with learning the concept of sharing. It would be a great book to supplement talking about class rules. I could also use this book for a unit on friendship.
Heather
the Pigeon is perhaps Mo Willems' most recurring and comically endearing character, constantly finding himself in one silly situation after another. in this book, he finds a tasty hot dog along with a very inquisitive duckling who will do anything to try a taste. the use of empty space is noted here as it is in several of Willems' books, and thus gives young readers a rest. the text is enlarged and as is customary in other Willems book includes at least one page where the main character goes off...more
Brianna Jones
Reading Level: early, ages 5-7

Topics and Themes: This book is written to invite laughter. It is a silly story about a pigeon that finds a hot dog. Throughout the story he has to decide if he is going to share his hot dog with another bird. The pigeon struggles with issues of selfishness and doing what is right or wrong.

Curricular Use: Read Aloud or guided reading

Social: This book deals with sharing. The pigeon finds a hot dog and does not want to share it with the little bird. The little bird co...more
Kelsey
Mo Willems's Pigeon series are to die for! This book in particular is a real treat because it features the Duckling as a special guest star. Poor Pigeon has found a hot dog and he is about to dig into it when the little duckling inquires about the hot dog. The duckling never asks for a bite but Pigeon assumes that the duckling wants his hot dog. Pigeon begins to get frazzled and eventually hits his breaking point, screaming at the little duckling. The duckling suggests that the pigeon split the...more
Peacegal
Here’s one the veg*n parents will want to skip, unless you’re willing to do some editing to transform the hot dog into a soy dog.

The story here is as simple as the illustrations. The pigeon finds a hot dog and wants it all to himself, trying to fend off a clever little duckling who wishes to share. The pigeon describes hot dogs as very delectable food items indeed, identifying the unhealthy snacks as a “taste sensation” and a “celebration in a bun.” The duckling grows more and more intrigued, a...more
  • Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Dooby Dooby Moo
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • Too Many Toys
  • There Are Cats in This Book
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r...more
More about Mo Willems...
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late! The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!