Start by marking “Silver Pennies: A Collection of Modern Poems for Boys and Girls” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Silver Pennies: A Coll...

Blanche Jennings Thompson

Silver Pennies: A Collection of Modern Poems for Boys and Girls

4.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  80 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
An anthology of poems for young people, with selections from such authors as Walter de la Mare, Rose Fyleman, Hilda Conkling, E. Nesbit, Robert Frost, Elizabeth Madox Roberts, Vachel Lindsay, James Stephens, W.B. Yeats, Edna St. Vincent Millay, and Emily Dickinson.
Published (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Silver Pennies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver Pennies

Beth
Mar 04, 2010 Beth rated it it was amazing
Even though I now know most of the poems by heart, I have read and re-read this little book since my third grade teacher gave it to me more than 50 years ago.
Janice
Sep 04, 2009 Janice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My sister won this book at our school book fair in elementary school for a story she had written. During the summer while swimming in the Chesapeake Bay my aunt had a crab on the end of her foot hanging on to her tennis shoes. The librarian, Mrs. Francis covered a penny with aluminum foil and gave it to her along with the book. The book became a favorite poetry book for the family. Later, when I was teaching third grade I purchased a used copy to use in my classroom.
Annie
Mar 29, 2012 Annie rated it it was amazing
I remember seeing this book on my mother's book shelf, thinking it was so beautiful on the outside. When I was finally was old enough to read it I found it was just as beautiful on the inside. So my love of old beautifully crafted books began. I still love this book and it's still on my mother's bookshelf. One of those books that has impacted me.
Joyce
Jul 19, 2008 Joyce rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves fairies, whimsy, or wants to introduce poetry to children
Recommended to Joyce by: my mother read this book many times to me as a child
A gem of a book for anyone who loves fairies, goblins, or whimsy of any kind. Currently out of print, it is well worth seeking out a used copy. You won't find a better way to introduce poetry to children than this!
Andrea
Jan 06, 2010 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Delightful, whimsical, sensitive, perfumed with pixie dust. Worth owning
Elizabeth Crook
Feb 20, 2014 Elizabeth Crook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've cherished this exact edition of Silver Pennies, along with More Silver Pennie and All the Silver Pennies (all out of print now) since my mother read these poems to my brother and sister and me, over and over, for years. We can all still recite many of them from memory. It's a wonderful selection that I read many times to my children. I recently splurged on an old copy for a baby gift. Beautiful book, beautiful peoms.
James
Aug 12, 2012 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is very special to me, as my mother and I read it to each other when I was a boy. The following is a favorite of mine...

Overheard on a Salmarsh
Nymph, nymph, what are your beads?

Green glass, goblin. Why do you stare at them?

Give them me.

Give them me. Give them me.

Then I will howl all night in the reeds,
Lie in the mud and howl for them.

Goblin, why do you love them so?

They are better than stars or water,
Better than voices of winds that sing,
Better than any man's fair dau
KC
Jan 06, 2014 KC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to KC by: My Mother
I've loved this book since I can remember. My 77-year-old mother's uncle gifted it to her when she was a child, and she read it to me often over the years. I just love the illustrations and the poems are wonderful for children and adults. I would recommend this book to any one interested in charming, classic children's poems.
Caryl
May 25, 2007 Caryl rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with children
"You must have a silver penny / To get into Fairyland." This book will take you there. An anthology of children's poetry, this book was originally published in 1925, and then reissued in 1956 in the original format. My father probably read it when he was a child and then read it to me. Alas, you cannot have it read to you by him. Even so, Moon Folly, Vinegar Man and Overheard on a Saltmarsh are fraught with just the right amount of light and dark to captivate.
Lisbeth Solberg
Lovely collection, child-sized and chockful of beautiful multilayered pieces. W.B. Yeats, John Masefield, Vachel Lindsay, Harold Munro, McCrae. Sad, wry, mysterious. This book figures in one of my earliest literacy memories and I am so happy to see it still in print.
Jude Morrissey
Mar 12, 2013 Jude Morrissey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I grew up on this poetry collection, and recently got a copy for my kids, as well! A great poetry collection for lovers of fairy tales, and a great companion for anyone who loves George MacDonald's short stories, too!
Zoie
Nov 18, 2007 Zoie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book used to be my grandmothers book. I read it often and like it a lot. It's a cute little poetry book of faeries that can wisk you away in your imagination and see things from a whole other view.
Amanda
This is one of my favorite antique books. It was given to my grandfather when he was young. With it is an actual silver penny minted in the 1940s.
Marc
Jan 24, 2008 Marc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My grandmother gave me an old battered copy of this book when I was very little. The book is also very little.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
CS Peterson
CS Peterson rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Inky
Inky added it
Jul 12, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Erika
Erika rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Werner
Werner added it
Feb 29, 2016
Adrienne Karlson
Adrienne Karlson marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Brooke
Brooke rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Amy D.
Amy D. marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015