Start by marking “Scroll Of Saqqara” as Want to Read:
Scroll Of Saqqara

Scroll Of Saqqara

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  527 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Prince Khaemwaset, fourth son of the famous Ramses the Great, is wealthy and influential, respected throughout Egypt for his knowledge of medicine and his powerful magic and revered as the country's foremost scholar and restorer of monuments.

But he has a secret desire. He dreams of finding the mysterious Scroll of Thoth, which will give its possessor the power to raise the
Published 1990 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about Scroll Of Saqqara, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scroll Of Saqqara

Iset
Feb 24, 2011 Iset rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Iset by: No one
"Scroll of Saqqara", published under the alternative title Mirage: A Novel in the US, is an insidious mystery tale that will get under your skin, and the sheer turmoil wrought on the protagonists will keep you gripped until the very end. Pauline Gedge draws her inspiration for the plot both from the life of the real Khaemwaset but also in large part from a later work of Ptolemaic literature, written about a thousand years after the real man lived, called "Setna and the Mummies" which was a fusio ...more
Kris43
This is a big fat book. I imagine I could kill rats with it:)
But don't let that intimidate you. It may be huge, but it has the the special kind of charm that only a huge tome can have.

It reads like a historical fiction, only later if twists into horror. First 1/4 of the book is spend in interesting day to day description of Princes family, life, land, culture.
And all that at first lulls you in, before I know it I just wanted to know what will happen next.

Very fast in the book, I had my first
Lisa
My second attempt at reading one of Gedge's novels, and much more satisfactory. For starters, I love the premise of the novel, mingling folklore with the history. The characters, while flawed, are also more likeable - I particularly loved Gedge's Ramses II, however brief his appearance was.

I did dislike Khaemwaset, though, mainly because I spent the whole novel getting frustrated with him always making clearly the wrong decision, even in spite of his logic. But I suspect that was deliberate.

Add
Kosjenka
If you like paranormal-related dread slowly building up, as well as prolonged anguish of a family drama, you will probably like this book. I don't particularly like either, but I still thought it was rather well done for the genre(s), so this isn't the reason why I only gave the book 3 stars. There were a few other things that reduced my enjoyment.

First, the book is really slow. I actually like slow books most of the time, but the first 20% or so was almost like a documentary of a noble family l
Carrie Slager
Feb 17, 2014 Carrie Slager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scroll of Saqqara is one of the few novels that has truly managed to surprise me. I thought it was going to be another slow-paced novel that chronicles the life of a famous ancient Egyptian, but I was very, very wrong. Scroll of Saqqara is a relatively fast-paced novel that chronicles the life of a virtually unknown (and fairly unimportant) son of Ramses the Great.

It starts out with Khaemwaset inspecting a tomb that he has ordered opened. The strange thing is that he himself has been digging in
Carrie Kellenberger
Scroll of Saqqara was slow at first. I was about 80 pages in and was thinking of putting it down, but then the storyline changed and it got to the point where I could barely put it down. Pauline Gedge never fails to deliver a great Egyptian tale.

This one is about an arrogant son of Ramses the Great called Khaemwaset. A great magician, physician, and tomb raider, Khaemwaset and his son Hori come across an ancient tomb on the Plain of Saqqara. Inside, they find a scroll that has been sewn to the
Felis
Oct 03, 2015 Felis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always with Gedge, I felt like I'd been transported to ancient Egypt, so vivid and beautiful are her descriptions. Unfortunately, the book has a tendency to drag a bit, and while I understand the spiritual activities at work behind the characters, it was a bit annoying to put up with their obsessiveness and blindness to the completely obvious. (view spoiler) ...more
Joyce
2 stars for the first of the book, 3 stars for the last quarter

I have a confession to make: I didn’t really know what this book was about before I started it. All I knew was that it was set in Egypt, it seemed to promise action, and it had a high average rating (4.08 at the time of writing). Thus, I expected a good book which would wow me with its spectacular contents and make me applaud my decision to just spontaneously pick up a book and read it.

Their loss had not brought them together, ind
Jill Myles
Apr 03, 2014 Jill Myles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Denise
Prince Khaemwaset is the middle-aged son of Pharaoh Ramses of Egypt. A well-renowned physician and scholar of ancient knowledge, he has made it his life's work to open and restore ancient tombs desecrated by tomb robbers. Broken furniture is mended, food offerings are replenished and crumbling paintings are restored. Such work is done with all due respect for the dead occupants. But Khaemwaset is also seeking for the legendary "Scroll of Thoth" purported to give its owner the power of life after ...more
Elaine
Nov 10, 2015 Elaine rated it liked it
Ramses II's third son, Khaemwaset and his obsession with the Scroll of Thoth
Nefrtari was Ramses' full sister. Meryet-Amun, Neferatari's daughter was also Ramses wife.

Pi-Ramesses (Pi-Ramesses Aa-nakhtu, meaning "House of Ramesses, Great in Victory")was the new capital built by the Nineteenth Dynasty of Egypt Pharaoh Ramesses II (Ramesses the Great, reigned 1279-1213 BC) at Qantir near the old site of Avaris. The city had previously served as a summer palace under Seti I (c. 1290 BC - 1279 BC) and
Kathy
Aug 07, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Khaemwaset is a prince of Egypt, a son of the great Ramses II. He is fascinated by knowledge, and restores tombs and monuments while in the pursuit of both. Life is good. Khaemwaset has a wife who loves him, and a son and daughter who, while not perfect, form a pleasant family. All this changes when Khaemwaset comes upon a tomb at Saqqara, finding it filled with mysteries...and a scroll. And this is when Khaemwaset's life is changed.

The historical Khaemwaset did restore monuments and tombs, and
Jane
I enjoyed this one very much. Mirage takes place in ancient Egypt; Gedge's writing is as excellent as usual. Horror builds slowly and crept up on me. The novel started slowly to set the background then gained momentum. The novel was a page-turner; I read till 3 a.m. last night, to finish the novel.

We are introduced to Khaemwaset, a prince of Egypt. He is also a physician, skilled magician, and a historian. He excavates tombs to renovate them; he is in hope of finding the Scroll of Thoth [the i
Pinariki iki
Aug 31, 2015 Pinariki iki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lise yillarimda okudugum bir roman. O zamanlar en yakin arkadasimla, piyasaya cikan tüm Eski Misir kitaplarini okuma yarisi yaparken, temin ettigimiz, yalayip yuttugumuz ve günlerce üzerinde konustugumuz baska bir Pauline Gedge eseri.
Bence diger eserlerine oranla daha heyecanli, daha mistik ve akiciydi.
Eric
Mar 01, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent historical fiction and an interesting tale, especially of interest to Egyptophiles like myself.
The Book Voucher
Folklore mingles with history in this fast-paced novel that seems to chronicle the life of Khaemswaset, a minor son of Ramses the Great, but instead reveals itself to be a chilling and goosebumps-ensuring, sometimes angsyt, Egyptian Ghost Story.

Read the full review here on The Book Voucher
Jessica
It's hard to rate this book. Two stars seems unfair, because it had a lot of glimmers of potential, but three stars is too generous because it squandered most of those. This could have been an eerie, intriguing story, but the pacing is terrible, there are way too many details (research is great, but utterly unnecessary descriptions are not), and the characters are wooden. I was disappointed, because I remember Child of the Morning being sophisticated and polished; this book just seems amateurish ...more
Annie
Feb 06, 2012 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
CecilM
Jul 24, 2008 CecilM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've just remembered this book (I've borrowed it, that's why sometimes I just can't remember all my readings!). It was amazing! How I love Old Egypt and its history and everything connected with pharaos, scrolls, queens and the like.
I promised I would read other books by Gedge, but...there's always a but...
Janice Russell
I read this under the title of "Mirage" back in the 90's and then again because I remembered how unusual it is. An ancient Egyptian ghost story. The author has a feel for ancient Egypt, what they ate, what they wore, the scents, and the pace of life.
Jessica
I enjoyed a good bit about this book - the history and slight touch of the supernatural were both good. But it was a bit drawn out, and I did see the twist clearly way before it came. I may read some of her other work.
Christine
While I found this book entertaining, as usual with Pauline Gedge, I did find it slightly predictable, something that is often missing in her other stories. Still, an easy read where you are left feeling for the characters.
Riobhcah
Oct 15, 2013 Riobhcah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been another example of Ms. Gedge's talents in weaving a gripping and intriguing tale of Ancient Egypt that one hardly can put down. I very much look forward to reading the rest of her books.
Annie
Jan 29, 2012 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a typical Pauline Gedge page-turner. It totally had my attention and I was anxious to find out what would happen next, but was a bit too fantastic for me.
Humber
Jan 21, 2011 Humber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this series. It's part of my library and I do go back and read it every few years. Totally recommend if you like reading about Ancient Egypt.
Chris
This is an excellent retelling of an Egyptian legend/tale. As always, Gedge writes ancient Egyptian very well. I loved the twist at the end.
Doug Matthews
Feb 14, 2013 Doug Matthews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-researched tale that combines Egyptian history and the supernatural. A little long but very engaging.
Mandy Andersonn
As always, Gedge's writing was beautiful... but this novel just seemed to drag.
Ellenjohnson
Feb 06, 2012 Ellenjohnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good read. Kept me wanting to find out what happens.
Becky
Dec 12, 2010 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book about Egypt. Lots of factual details to support her book.
  • A God Against the Gods
  • Pharaoh (Kleopatra, #2)
  • Paneb the Ardent (Stone of Light, #3)
  • Year of the Hyenas (Semerket, #1)
  • A Face Turned Backward (Lieutenant Bak, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Egyptian Whodunnits
  • The Mask of Ra (Amerotke, #1)
  • The Sleeper in the Sands
  • The Crook and Flail (The She-King, #2)
  • Throne of Isis
  • The Beacon at Alexandria
I was born in Auckland, New Zealand, on December 11, 1945, the first of three girls. Six years later my family emigrated to England where my father, an ex-policeman, wanted to study for the Anglican ministry. We lived in an ancient and very dilapidated cottage in the heart of the English Buckinghamshire woodland, and later in a small village in Oxfordshire called Great Haseley. I grew up surrounde ...more
More about Pauline Gedge...

“Bint-Anath was approaching, her many-pleated, floor-length sheath floating scarlet around her, her slim shoulders visible under a billowing white flounced cloak, and the long black ringlets of her wig already glistening with melted wax... She was like a goddess, like Hathor herself, moving lightly in the circle of reverence the guests had provided, her pair of massive Shardana guards towering beside her and her exquisitely gowned and painted retinue behind.” 4 likes
“Khaemwaset’s eyes remained on the riverbank as the green confusion of spring glided by. Beyond the fecund, brilliant life of the bank with its choked river growth, its darting, piping birds, its busy insects and occasionally its sleepy grinning crocodiles, was a wealth of rich black soil in which the fellahin were struggling, knee-deep, to strew the fresh seed.” 2 likes