My Liar: A Novel

My Liar: A Novel

2.98 of 5 stars 2.98  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Rachel Cline’s debut novel, What to Keep, was praised as “striking . . . lovely” (Entertainment Weekly), “tangibly real” (Los Angeles Times), and “eminently readable” (Salon). Set in 1990s Hollywood, My Liar portrays the complex connection between two talented women, each striving to realize her own vision of success in work and in love.

Annabeth Jensen, thirty-three, is a...more
Published August 19th 2008 by Random House (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about My Liar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Liar

L.A.Weekly
BY STACEY KALISH
In her second novel, Rachel Cline tries to unveil simultaneously the complexities of female friendship and ambition in Hollywood — familiar territory for the author, who worked as a screenwriter in Los Angeles for almost a decade before writing her lauded first novel, What to Keep.

Meek, mousy film editor Annabeth Jenson has come to Los Angeles from Minnesota to pursue her passion for films and escape her troubled past. After months of unemployment and a hasty move-in with her ang...more
Mary
I thought the book jacket was pretty deceiving on this one (okay, I know I shouldn’t pay attention to the jacket!) but come on, “A seductive charmer of a novel” it is not.

The book opens with a memorial service for Annabeth’s ex-boyfriend who committed suicide. This should have been the tipoff for me to set this one aside, but I kept reading. Annabeth is a compelling character, somehow, despite the flaws in the novel. Her career as a film editor in Hollywood comprises the bulk of the story, in ad...more
Marian
Despite having a terrible title (gleaned from a part of the book that the author thought was significant but that really wasn't), this book was quasi-interesting. If you are interested in the filmmaking business it's worth a read, but the author kept you at arm's length from the characters and the main character has oddly apathetic reactions to things. Like, if your good friend who you admire told you that you were an idiot and spoke to you like you were one, wouldn't you do more than give her a...more
Rebecca
I like books with a firm sense of time and place; in this case, it was Los Angeles, 1994. The characters were shallow, and some of them were downright despicable, but they felt real. I couldn't relate to them, but I was interested in them.
Whitney
Good, compelling start to the story, but quickly fell apart. Characters were not fleshed out and brief attempts to explain back stories felt completely out of place. By the end, I couldn't quite figure out what the point of the book was.
Joyce
Mar 17, 2008 Joyce rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women who like chic fiction
Recommended to Joyce by: Browsing
It is well written and will hold your interest. More of a chic fiction book than not. I really did not like the characters, but got hooked on what would happen next.
Kelly
I felt had an underdeveloped plot and characters could have been presented in more intriguing way...
Stephanie
Well written, enjoyable read, ending a little too ambiguous for my taste.
Amy
a chance i took at the library that turned out to be really good!
Daisy
Forgettable. Why did I even finish this?
Sheila MacKenzie
Sheila MacKenzie marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Oberlin Alumni
Oberlin Alumni marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2013
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2013
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2011
Anita
Anita marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2011