Start by marking “Lord of the Two Lands (Alexander the Great, #0)” as Want to Read:
Lord of the Two Lands (Alexander the Great, #0)

Lord of the Two Lands (Alexander the Great 0)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  346 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Based on the premise that Alexander the Great was destined by the gods to be pharaoh of Egypt, and that the Egyptians knew it, Judith Tarr weaves a bright thread of magic into history--wherein the Priests of Amon send the Pharaoh's daughter Meriamon to convince Alexander to come and take his rightful place.
Hardcover
Published March 1st 1993 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Lord of the Two Lands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord of the Two Lands

Gail Carriger
Judith Tarr is a well known author within the SF/F community but I don’t think she has ever quite attained the broader recognition her books deserve. My favorite of her work is Lord of the Two Lands, a fantastical alternate history of Alexander the Great moving into Egypt. The main character, an Egyptian priestess named Meriamon, is sent as a lure, omen, and diplomat into the heart of the invading Greek army. What makes Tarr brilliant is her writing style: she uses short, punchy, fragmentary sen ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Feb 07, 2014 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Historical Fantasy
I had read one book by Judith Tarr before this, Lady of Horses--and it wasn't a happy experience. I was most irked by it being one of those stories that thinks creating a strong female character means making almost every male character a jerk, and the novel struck me as more feminist pre-history propaganda than plausible historical fiction. I also remembered the style (especially the sex scenes) as rather graceless. Yet I'd heard good things about Judith Tarr as a historical novelist over the ye ...more
Joy
This is the book that made me a Judith Tarr addict. An Egyptian priestess princess joins the army of Alexander the Great as a healer, and to persuade him to drive out Egypt's Persian occupiers. Meriamon has a spirit familiar who has stayed in my mind longer than most of the flesh-and-blood characters around Alexander.

2015 Reading: I do so love this book. I started listening to the audio version and found it not up to my standards (flat and nasal), so I reread the print version.
Kristyn Jensen
Great book. The battles were well written about, the intensity of Alexander was easily perceived and the love story adds a sense of balance. I loved when they came upon the place where Alexandria was going to be built, as well as the magic of Egypt guiding them into the dessert.
Jessica
Look at Alexander's conquest of Egypt (they asked him for help, actually) through the fictional character of a young Egyptian priestess sent to assure his success.
Bonnie
My daughter read this book some years ago and didn't like it so I took her advice until I was packing for a cruise and thought I should take a paperback to read on a beach or at any time I didn't want to use my Kindle. I chose this one because it was a small trade paperback. I have to agree with my daughter and wished I'd not bothered reading it. It wasn't terrible, just not really worth the time. Several times I thought of just quitting, but it was just interesting enough to keep going, but it' ...more
Lisa
An enjoyable, page-turning read. As someone who finds it depressing when Egypt ceased to be ruled by Egyptian pharaohs (however bad they were), the idea that the gods of Egypt have decided that Alexander is to be the next pharaoh was particularly lovely.

The characters are enjoyable, and fascinating, though I do want slightly more from them than I get. Particularly Hephaistion – I'd read a whole novel about him and Alexander. There probably is one, but I don't really know where to start looking.
Estara
Mar 24, 2012 Estara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of strong females, fans of Alexander the Great and Egypt
Recommended to Estara by: auto-buy author
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2012
LOL_BOOKS
WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN READING, MEMERITAS?
Jamie Strickland
Finally...it is done. I have been a Judith Tarr fan for years, but this is definitely not my favorite. I put it down for several months at a time before picking it up again. I rarely give up on books and am glad I finished it, but the siege of Tyre almost got the best of me. The last third of the book moved more quickly and, for me, was the page-turning part other reviewers wrote about. No more Egyptian stuff for me for a while!
Elizabeth
I read this. I did not object to reading it. I did not object to finishing it and moving on to the next book on the shelf.

B. loves this book, and I can totally see why; there are several elements about it (female narrator, gay characters, interesting magic system) that I should adore, but it did not hit me where I live. I'm not really sure why.
Maureen E
A magical retelling of Alexander the Great, through the eyes of an Egyptian woman. I love Tarr’s writing and this was a really engrossing way to tell the story of Alexander’s Egyptian campaign. I was surprised by certain elements, especially the romance, but the delighted surprise of a pleased reader.
victoria.p
I've reread this book a lot, mostly for the lovely Alexander/Hephaistion bits, which cover the time period Mary Renault skipped in her novels. I also enjoyed Meriamon's story, but mostly I loved it for the Alexander/Hephaistion.
Jean
The story of Alexander and his defeat of the Persian empire. Meriamon of Egypt tries to persuade Alexander to come to Egypt and rule two lands. Interesting, but I wasn't in the mood to sift through all the history.
Russamun82
An interesting novel. Slow moving at times, but a good view of transition between the rule of the Pharaohs of Egypt, to the Pharaohs from Macedon.
Christine Van zyl
Really good, but it did start to drag and get a bit vague in the middle. The ending was also abrupt and kind of lacking.
Gordon
I was given this... doubt I would have bought it but here I don't say no to books in English :)
Laurel Larsen
Seamless weaving of detailed history with a compelling story.
Helen
Alexander brought to Egypt, minimal magic
Douglas A. Finck
Douglas A. Finck marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Sally Lee
Sally Lee marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Heather Trahan
Heather Trahan marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Kairissa
Kairissa marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Dsreebny
Dsreebny marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
  • A Red Heart of Memories (Red Heart of Memories, #1)
  • The Empire of Darkness (Queen of Freedom, #1)
  • Seer of Egypt (The King's Man, #2)
  • A Killing Among the Dead
  • The Crook and Flail (The She-King, #2)
  • Taming the Forest King
  • A God Against the Gods
  • Territory
  • The Beacon at Alexandria
  • Thraxas (Thraxas, #1-2)
  • Requiem
AKA Caitlin Brennan, Kathleen Bryan.

Judith Tarr (born 1955) is an American author, best known for her fantasy books. She received her B.A. in Latin and English from Mount Holyoke College in 1976, and has an M.A. in Classics from Cambridge University, and an M.A. and Ph.D. in Medieval Studies from Yale University. She taught Latin and writing at Wesleyan University from 1988-1992, and taught at the
More about Judith Tarr...

Alexander the Great (2 books)
  • Queen of the Amazons (Alexander the Great, #1)
  • Bring Down the Sun (Alexander the Great, #2)
Household Gods The Isle of Glass (The Hound and the Falcon, #1) The Hound and the Falcon (The Hound and the Falcon, #1-3) Alamut (Alamut, #1) King and Goddess