Start by marking “The Transition of Juan Romero” as Want to Read:
The Transition of Juan Romero

The Transition of Juan Romero

"The Transition of Juan Romero" is a short story by H.P. Lovecraft, written on September 16, 1919, and first published in the 1944 Arkham House volume Marginalia.

The story involves a mine that uncovers a very deep chasm, too deep for any sounding lines to hit bottom. The night after the discovery of the abyss the narrator and one of the mine's workers, Juan Romero, venture
ebook
Published (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about The Transition of Juan Romero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Transition of Juan Romero

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jul 27, 2015 ᴥ Irena ᴥ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The Transition of Juan Romero is an atmospheric story told retrospectively by a miner who experienced something inexplicable and dreadful in a mine years ago.

The story takes place in 1894. They have just discovered a vast new chamber in the mine. During the night the narrator and Juan Romero, a miner he works with, are awoken and compelled to investigate a terrible sound coming from the ground. At one point Romero runs faster and disappears. His disappearance is followed by sounds of terror and
Joshua L Shioshita
This story has so much potential but feels a little rushed. I would have loved if Lovecraft had expanded upon the idea and fleshed it out more, because instead what were left with is just an amuse-bouche.
Monse
Oct 13, 2014 Monse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Si bien la historia está bien, y me gustó que quedara en duda de lo que si le pasó a Juan Romero –de lo cual fue testigo el narrador de la historia- fue real o obra de un sueño; me generó mucho rechazo que Lovecraft escribiera con tanto racismo el origen mexicano de Romero. Hoy quizás este escritor tendría montones de quejas por xenofobia y seguramente se tomarían acciones legales sobre su persona.
Colleen
Jun 02, 2014 Colleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror
Lovecraft did not appear to really like this story. The story is vague; the location is just someplace in the American Southwest, and referenced supernatural forces are mostly just weird feelings. Lovecraft biographers also note that he does not appear to have in any way prepared it for publication. Original manuscripts have few notes or editing work. Frankly, it feels as though he simply lost interest in the story. There is potential here, certainly, but it feels a bit like a New Englander was ...more
Godzilla
Apr 03, 2012 Godzilla rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, 2012, kindle
My first disappointment in Lovecraft's early works.

Some early tension built up well, but the story seemed to peter out.

At the end I was left wondering what I had actually digested and taken from it.

There was a good story in here, it just feels poorly executed.

Onwards to the next tale...
Marts  (Thinker)
Jan 07, 2013 Marts (Thinker) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A way-too-strange Lovecraft tale. Some of his stories just can't be accurately described, I think its better when you read it yourself...
A.N. N. Mignan
May 16, 2017 A.N. N. Mignan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Deep in a gold mine lies something unknown, tangible only by the giant subterranean hole. What follows is definitely Lovecraftian but, as often, while performant in setting the atmosphere, fails to provide a complete story.
Ryan McKenzie
Eerie and mysterious. It lacks the intensity and detail of some of Lovecraft's other stories but was enjoyable nevertheless.
Benjamin Stahl
I liked this okay.
Jeff
Feb 14, 2016 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, horror
Out of all the early tales from Lovecraft, this is one of the few that are a complete miss for me. Having not read up much on who Lovecraft was as a person, I'm getting hints of racism from Polaris and this tale as well.

The story involves a narrator whom used to work at a mineshaft with a Mexican man of Aztec descent. Crazy things happen one night. While Lovecraft is beautiful with his words, the story lacks any sort of momentum for me. It ends right when everything was reaching into climax phas
Stuart Slingsby
Apr 30, 2015 Stuart Slingsby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a strange story for me, it felt to me like an attempt to tell a Spaghetti Western type of tale. The story is of an unnamed man that lives in India and while there he stumbles on a mine shaft and an Indian of Aztec blood named Juan Romero. While at the mine strange things happen.

It was a difficult story for me to get into as it felt like an oddity in his story bookology. It felt as if Lovecraft was writing out of his comfort zone and he was trying new things.

So read it if you fancy a cha
Denise
Jan 10, 2015 Denise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, lovecraft
The narrator of this story doesn’t want to tell it. Only now that he’s getting on in years does he feel an obligation to make a record of the extraordinary events that occurred at the Norton Mine October 18th and 19th, 1894.

Of himself, he wishes to say little, only that he’s spent some time in India and wore a gold ring as a memento of that time. He’s assumed a common name and was working as a common laborer in the American West.

Juan Romero began working at the same mine not long after he did.
Sep 15, 2014 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Empezó bien, te describe bien a los personajes y el escenario donde se va a llevar a cabo la historia. También tenemos un misterio prometedor pero el desenlace fue una decepción total!
No voy a decir nada más para no spoilear, pero cuando di la vuelta a la última página y me di cuenta que había terminado no lo podía creer u.u
Tiago Pomella Lobo
Not Lovecraft`s finest work, but it succeeds in passing that feeling of mistery his world has.
Probably due to its small number of pages and an objective of not showing the real horrors, the story doesn`t show anything other than the "there`s something out there".
But besides that, it`s a good suspense tale.
Lucia
Aug 24, 2014 Lucia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lucia by: Karila
Shelves: book-club, horror
**Leído para el Club de Lectura**
Para la segunda entrega del Club de Lectura le tocó a Gloria elegir el libro, y se decidió por una selección de cuentos de Lovecraft.

El final me decepcionó un poco, tengo la sensación de que no entendí el cuento xD De todas formas no estuvo mal.
Marco
Feb 15, 2016 Marco rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The story starts when miners uncover a very deep chasm, too deep for any sounding lines to hit bottom. The night after the discovery of the abyss the narrator and one of the mine's workers, Juan Romero, venture inside the mine, drawn against their will by a mysterious rhythmical throbbing in the ground.
Space
Feb 02, 2014 Space rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike Polaris, which has a fantastic story to lessen the revolting racism, the Transition of Juan Romero is just a poorly constructed story dripping with xenophobia. This is the worst work by Lovecraft I've read so far.
Adhoc
Feb 11, 2015 Adhoc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lovecraft is the Archie bunker of the literary world. He was an equal opportunity racist and rarely missed an opportunity to state his point of view. Nevertheless, generally his stories are worth reading but this one is not.
Julieta Mora
Aug 30, 2015 Julieta Mora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Lovecraft's work is great, but i personally dislike the racism that is in the story.
José Monico
Seems to lack any oomph; half-written, and lack-luster in lore. I can understand why Lovecraft never meant to publish this piece.
Javier Muñoz albornoz
Es lo mas malo que he leído de Lovecraft hasta el momento. Ni a él le gustaba este cuento.
Bordea el tema de lo real-irreal de una forma paupérrima.
Neeraj Chavan
A fascinating horror short story. Esoteric and dark. Typical Lovecraft. The story isn't that amazing but his peculiar way of describing the surroundings, makes it worth a read!
May 27, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I sometimes wish that Lovecraft would go into a bit more detail, but otherwise this story is excellently creepy.
Meg
Dec 26, 2016 Meg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool concept, don't know that it carried through completely
Tanzila Aslam
"but God! I dare not tell you what I saw!.."

Pretty much summarizes it. Vague. Could've been much more.
Claire Ulthar Sideral
Me encantan los relatos donde se sabe cierto si el hecho es real o es fruto de un mal sueño con detalles místicos. <3
Anton
Anton rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2014
Mohammad Huraiz
Mohammad Huraiz rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2013
Adrian David
Adrian David rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2017
Stefan  Aguilera
Stefan Aguilera rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
  • Doctor Who: Business Unusual
  • Das Urteil und andere Prosa
  • Doctor Who: Love and War
  • Doctor Who: Legacy of the Daleks
  • Signs and Symbols (Stories of Vladimir Nabokov)
  • Doctor Who: The Land of the Dead
  • Doctor Who: Dead London
  • Doctor Who: The Creed of the Kromon
  • The Mage-born Child
  • Doctor Who: Sisters of the Flame (Doctor Who: The New Eighth Doctor Adventures)
  • Scorched Earth: The Russian-German War, 1943-1944
  • Doctor Who: Human Resources, Part Two
  • Doctor Who: The Girl Who Never Was
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, of Providence, Rhode Island, was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction.

Lovecraft's major inspiration and invention was cosmic horror: life is incomprehensible to human minds and the universe is fundamentally alien. Those who genuinely reason, like his protagonists, gamble with sanity. Lovecraft has developed a cult following for his Cthulhu Mythos, a
More about H.P. Lovecraft...