Start by marking “The Dragons Of Heorot” as Want to Read:
The Dragons Of Heorot

The Dragons Of Heorot (Heorot #2)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,623 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
A new generation is growing up on the island paradise of Camelot, ignorant of the Great Grendel Wars fought when their parents and grandparents first arrived from Earth. Setting out for the mainland, this group of young rebels feels ready to fight any grendels that get in their way. On Avalon, however, there are monsters which dwarf the ones their parents fought, and as th ...more
Published 1996 by Orbit (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragons Of Heorot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragons Of Heorot

Dirk Grobbelaar
The Legacy of Heorot is one of a few novels I have read multiple times. It was also my introduction, not only to hard science fiction, but to horror. The Grendels were terrifying.

The Dragons of Heorot (also published as Beowulf's Children) is a very different kettle of fish. It gets off to a slow start. Then it hits a slow middle. Finally there is a bit of an upsurge, but then it dies a slow death. It’s not just that it’s a bad book, but it’s got too big boots to fill. The new generation of char
Claudia
Jun 24, 2015 Claudia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Same as previous part: Hollywood movie style. But it's a light reading, full of action (although a bit improbable on occasion and has some unimportant details stretched too much).

What I liked most was the interaction between grendels and humans, idea which could have been developed more.

Anyway, it is an enjoyable story, perfect for vacation or a relaxing weekend.
Zachary
Aug 10, 2009 Zachary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I grabbed this book because I remembered it being mentioned as a highlight of Larry Niven's bibliography in another of his books. That, and the cover was kinda exciting with the gold print and all. That said, I wasn't sure I would enjoy this book too much because one of the aspects of sci-fi that I enjoy so much is the gadgets, gizmos and high tech in general. This was a book about a group of colonists sent out to a planet from Earth who have lost contact with Earth and are struggling to make th ...more
Nathan Russell
Reading Beowulf's Children I found my self equal parts absorbed and frustrated. I enjoyed the setting, no, I loved the setting - a beautifully constructed world that the inhabitants were struggling to understand and live in, with lifeforms that struck the right chord between alien and believable. Where I struggled was with the protagonist's. More specifically the protagonists'ages. Here we have a community where 16 and 17 year-old's have a genuine say in the politics and governance of the commun ...more
Dave
Sep 29, 2009 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
An excellent follow up to The Legacy of Heorot. I really wouldn't mind if they did another book set on Avalon, maybe one set a few generations in the future, once the colonists have really started to come to terms with Avalon's unique biodiversity.

I also like the snippets, early on, from a speech (made by one of the characters) on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein having a crypto-feminist agenda. I wonder if that speech exists in full somewhere.

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable return to one of Niven
Bryan
Apr 03, 2009 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SF fans
Rusty
Dec 08, 2010 Rusty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is an exciting read about a group of bright and highly intelligent earth explorers who settle a world they call Avalon which has creatures beyond what they ever experienced on earth. The most feared is the grendel and the survivors finally settle on an island they name Camelot where they manage to kill all the grendels. As the colony expands, the population divides into two groups - The Star Born and the original colonists. As the intergenerational conflict escalates, Cadmann finds his lead ...more
Bekibunny
Suffered from the same cliched social interactions as the first one.
Not enough Grendels and world exploring, too much in-fighting and superman Aaron.
I'm a speed reader and I found myself flipping past all the human social boring stuff to get to the parts about Old Grendel.
Someone should do a fanfic edit of this and have it just be Old Grendel; she was the most interesting part of the book, and honestly, the only character I had any emotional interest in.

The first one (Legacy of Heurot) was bette
Tony Manning
I found the plot fairly simple, but interesting enough at times. I really like stories like this (survival, overcoming adversity, exploration, and science) so I'm a bit biased in my opinion of the book. I was super annoyed with how sloppy the editing was. It was the most error-filled book I've ever read. In one paragraph, they spelled a name Mobutu then by end of paragraph they had spelled it Mubutu. There were many errors such as these and while I expect a few (no one is perfect) this makes you ...more
Andrew
Nov 14, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book (Legacy of Herot) I really enjoyed, for many reasons which I won't go in to here so you can imagine my eagerness to get my hands on this the sequel to it.

I will have to admit I didnt enjoy the book as much as I did the first. Yes the book did carry on chronologically from the first book in that it dealt with the colony and the generation that followed on. It also dealt with the characters some more favourably than others - which I think is why i didnt take to the book as much as I
A.R. Davis
Jul 11, 2011 A.R. Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sci-fi emphasizes exobiology and the attempt at a utopian human colony on the planet Avalon. The planet comes alive in the description and the characters are interesting. But, how did three separate authors blend this all together? Very good.
Jeffrey
Apr 05, 2010 Jeffrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Disappointing sequel to Legacy of Heorot.
Neil
Sep 05, 2014 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sequel to The Legacy of Heorot and takes place about twenty years later. It moves at a good pace; it is still interesting to read and still held my attention. The character development is also well done in this book. I hated a portion of the ending, but it definitely added to the story despite being so heart-breaking. I also liked how one of the 'major characters' had some pretty impressive character development [despite coming from such an unlikely source]. There is a lot of free sex ...more
Darth
Oct 24, 2013 Darth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: niven
I was at like 2 1/2 on this, and I would usually round up not down, but something about this really rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe just a let down feeling after liking the first one so much.

It started out with lots of my LEAST favorite things in sci-fi: POLITICS.
It is a tiny group of people, light years from Earth, most of the people are under-aged, and the leadership cannot keep things in order...

A bunch of teens and barely 20-somethings run amok and cause problems, but in a very boring and pro
Holly Ollivander
Like its companion The Legacy of Heorot, you don’t read these for elevated literary pyrotechnics, you read them for one of the most thrilling adventures ever put to paper. Why these have not been made into Hollywood blockbusters is beyond me—the suspense is unbearable, the action is edge-of-your-seat… don’t read these before bed, guaranteed you won’t sleep easily.
Chris
Fantastic Sequel to "The Legacy of Heorot".

While most reviewers here were disappointed, I found it better than the first in the series.

Anyone into alternate ecological systems should read both of these.

As a footnote, I've found this note online indicating a third book in the series is in the works.

"Larry Niven and Steve Barnes came over just after my morning walk and we had a conference on a notion for a new book in the Avalon (Beowulf's Children) series. We used Skype to call Dr. Jack Cohen who
Tony da Napoli
Dec 03, 2014 Tony da Napoli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fant
Book 2 of Heorot. Dragged a bit but a good spce opera of settling a planet for the first time. The science is a bit behind, but if you like Niven, you will enjoy this. On to book 3, Destiny's Road.
Robdguk
Feb 17, 2014 Robdguk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
loved legacy of heorot, but though this was a poorly written sequel. not inspired
Richard
I would like to see this spun off into a series about settling Avalon.
Heretic
Mar 24, 2014 Heretic rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tried to continue Legacy of Heorot but doesn't quite work.
Pete Cochran
Jan 04, 2016 Pete Cochran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely a wonderful Series...
AmbushPredator
Nov 15, 2014 AmbushPredator rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent sequel to 'The Legacy of Heorot', this book takes us to Avalon's mainland, some surprising discoveries about the grendels, and a deadly new threat for the colonists. Almost as deadly as the one that lurks within.
ArtYOm
Jul 14, 2014 ArtYOm rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nastiest animal's pups.
Melinda
Mar 15, 2008 Melinda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
First part dragged, but I did enjoy the hostile world the colonist aimed to settle. The Old Grendel was a great presence in this book, but the sociopath Aaron - geez, so much time was given to how perfect he was, too perfect... ad naeseum. Anyway, though it explores intriguing themes of intergenerational conflict and the role of sexual mores in society, Beowulf's Children just beat it's dead horses to a pulp. I'm done, and I'm not bothering to read the first in this series, "The Legacy of Heorot ...more
Fishface
A nifty sci-fi novel set on a distant planet newly settled by humans, already inhabited by killer dinosaurs on speed and CRABS, CRABS, CRABS. Memorable for many reasons.
K.
Apr 28, 2014 K. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quit on page 100. Too much free love, drama, and dialogue. I was expecting more...
Ed Vaughn
This is the sequel to "The Legacy of Heorot." LOH was a rip snorting adventure novel not unlike "Star Wars" or "Avatar" and by the way, I'm not sure why it hasn't been made into a great movie. None the less, "Beowulf's Children introduces us to the next generation of star born colonists on a planet orbiting Tau Ceti. It contains more great adventures as they battle the planet's unknown ecology but is significantly more thought provoking then the first novel. A very good read!
Ben
A novel about the process of colonization of another planet rather than the Aliens-like sci-fi horror story the first book was. Natural threats to the colony form a background, but most of the words deal with politics, the division between the first and second generation and soap opera-type teenage sexual drama. Readable and interesting, but not the frightening thrill-ride the first book was.
Tera Marie
Feb 27, 2011 Tera Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Aside from some editing errors that I found distracting (misspelled words, improper word usage), this book was fantastic. A continuatiion of the story of a group who have come from Earth to settle a new planet. We now here the story of the Star Borns and how they cope with being the first generation of children in this new world and the new challenges and dangers they face.
Erinn
Jan 27, 2009 Erinn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I found this to be an interesting read, so much so that I started trying to find the book that comes before it. However it didn't take me long to realize that the first book is out of print.

What I think is the most interesting thing about this book is that years later I still find myself thinking about some of the things that happened in this book and the color blue.
Cover art? 1 22 Jun 13, 2007 10:52PM
  • Heart of the Comet
  • Deathkiller (Omnibus contains MINDKILLER and TIME PRESSURE)
  • Prince of Mercenaries (Falkenberg's Legion, # 1)
  • Flight of the Dragonfly
  • The Annals of the Heechee (Heechee Saga, #4)
  • Vacuum Diagrams (Xeelee Sequence, #5)
  • Gorgon Child (Aubrey Knight, #2)
  • Assignment in Eternity
  • Nightflyers
  • The Identity Matrix
  • Vengeance of Orion (Orion, #2)
  • The Tranquillity Alternative
  • Agent of the Terran Empire (Flandry, #3)
  • The Adversary (Saga of Pliocene Exile, #4)
  • Berserker Base
Laurence van Cott Niven's best known work is Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) (1970), which received the Hugo, Locus, Ditmar, and Nebula awards. His work is primarily hard science fiction, using big science concepts and theoretical physics. The creation of thoroughly worked-out alien species, which are very different from humans both physically and mentally, is recognized as one of Niven's main strengths ...more
More about Larry Niven...

Heorot (2 books)
  • The Legacy of Heorot (Heorot #1)