Start by marking “The Dragons Of Heorot” as Want to Read:
The Dragons Of Heorot

The Dragons Of Heorot (Heorot #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  2,471 ratings  ·  59 reviews
A new generation is growing up on the island paradise of Camelot, ignorant of the Great Grendel Wars fought when their parents and grandparents first arrived from Earth. Setting out for the mainland, this group of young rebels feels ready to fight any grendels that get in their way. On Avalon, however, there are monsters which dwarf the ones their parents fought, and as th ...more
Published 1996 by Orbit (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragons Of Heorot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragons Of Heorot

Dirk Grobbelaar
The Legacy of Heorot is one of a few novels I have read multiple times. It was also my introduction, not only to hard science fiction, but to horror. The Grendels were terrifying.

The Dragons of Heorot (also published as Beowulf's Children) is a very different kettle of fish. It gets off to a slow start. Then it hits a slow middle. Finally there is a bit of an upsurge, but then it dies a slow death. It’s not just that it’s a bad book, but it’s got too big boots to fill. The new generation of char
Claudia
Same as previous part: Hollywood movie style. But it's a light reading, full of action (although a bit improbable on occasion and has some unimportant details stretched too much).

What I liked most was the interaction between grendels and humans, idea which could have been developed more.

Anyway, it is an enjoyable story, perfect for vacation or a relaxing weekend.
Nathan Russell
Reading Beowulf's Children I found my self equal parts absorbed and frustrated. I enjoyed the setting, no, I loved the setting - a beautifully constructed world that the inhabitants were struggling to understand and live in, with lifeforms that struck the right chord between alien and believable. Where I struggled was with the protagonist's. More specifically the protagonists'ages. Here we have a community where 16 and 17 year-old's have a genuine say in the politics and governance of the commun ...more
Dave
An excellent follow up to The Legacy of Heorot. I really wouldn't mind if they did another book set on Avalon, maybe one set a few generations in the future, once the colonists have really started to come to terms with Avalon's unique biodiversity.

I also like the snippets, early on, from a speech (made by one of the characters) on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein having a crypto-feminist agenda. I wonder if that speech exists in full somewhere.

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable return to one of Niven
Bryan
Apr 03, 2009 Bryan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SF fans
Zachary
I grabbed this book because I remembered it being mentioned as a highlight of Larry Niven's bibliography in another of his books. That, and the cover was kinda exciting with the gold print and all. That said, I wasn't sure I would enjoy this book too much because one of the aspects of sci-fi that I enjoy so much is the gadgets, gizmos and high tech in general. This was a book about a group of colonists sent out to a planet from Earth who have lost contact with Earth and are struggling to make th ...more
Rusty
This is an exciting read about a group of bright and highly intelligent earth explorers who settle a world they call Avalon which has creatures beyond what they ever experienced on earth. The most feared is the grendel and the survivors finally settle on an island they name Camelot where they manage to kill all the grendels. As the colony expands, the population divides into two groups - The Star Born and the original colonists. As the intergenerational conflict escalates, Cadmann finds his lead ...more
Tony Manning
I found the plot fairly simple, but interesting enough at times. I really like stories like this (survival, overcoming adversity, exploration, and science) so I'm a bit biased in my opinion of the book. I was super annoyed with how sloppy the editing was. It was the most error-filled book I've ever read. In one paragraph, they spelled a name Mobutu then by end of paragraph they had spelled it Mubutu. There were many errors such as these and while I expect a few (no one is perfect) this makes you ...more
Andrew
The first book (Legacy of Herot) I really enjoyed, for many reasons which I won't go in to here so you can imagine my eagerness to get my hands on this the sequel to it.

I will have to admit I didnt enjoy the book as much as I did the first. Yes the book did carry on chronologically from the first book in that it dealt with the colony and the generation that followed on. It also dealt with the characters some more favourably than others - which I think is why i didnt take to the book as much as I
A.R. Davis
The sci-fi emphasizes exobiology and the attempt at a utopian human colony on the planet Avalon. The planet comes alive in the description and the characters are interesting. But, how did three separate authors blend this all together? Very good.
Jeffrey
Disappointing sequel to Legacy of Heorot.
Neil
This is a sequel to The Legacy of Heorot and takes place about twenty years later. It moves at a good pace; it is still interesting to read and still held my attention. The character development is also well done in this book. I hated a portion of the ending, but it definitely added to the story despite being so heart-breaking. I also liked how one of the 'major characters' had some pretty impressive character development [despite coming from such an unlikely source]. There is a lot of free sex ...more
Darth
I was at like 2 1/2 on this, and I would usually round up not down, but something about this really rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe just a let down feeling after liking the first one so much.

It started out with lots of my LEAST favorite things in sci-fi: POLITICS.
It is a tiny group of people, light years from Earth, most of the people are under-aged, and the leadership cannot keep things in order...

A bunch of teens and barely 20-somethings run amok and cause problems, but in a very boring and pro
Chris
Fantastic Sequel to "The Legacy of Heorot".

While most reviewers here were disappointed, I found it better than the first in the series.

Anyone into alternate ecological systems should read both of these.

As a footnote, I've found this note online indicating a third book in the series is in the works.

"Larry Niven and Steve Barnes came over just after my morning walk and we had a conference on a notion for a new book in the Avalon (Beowulf's Children) series. We used Skype to call Dr. Jack Cohen who
Anthony Chitea
Book 2 of Heorot. Dragged a bit but a good spce opera of settling a planet for the first time. The science is a bit behind, but if you like Niven, you will enjoy this. On to book 3, Destiny's Road.
Robdguk
loved legacy of heorot, but though this was a poorly written sequel. not inspired
Heretic
Tried to continue Legacy of Heorot but doesn't quite work.
AmbushPredator
An excellent sequel to 'The Legacy of Heorot', this book takes us to Avalon's mainland, some surprising discoveries about the grendels, and a deadly new threat for the colonists. Almost as deadly as the one that lurks within.
ArtYOm
Nastiest animal's pups.
Melinda
First part dragged, but I did enjoy the hostile world the colonist aimed to settle. The Old Grendel was a great presence in this book, but the sociopath Aaron - geez, so much time was given to how perfect he was, too perfect... ad naeseum. Anyway, though it explores intriguing themes of intergenerational conflict and the role of sexual mores in society, Beowulf's Children just beat it's dead horses to a pulp. I'm done, and I'm not bothering to read the first in this series, "The Legacy of Heorot ...more
K.
Quit on page 100. Too much free love, drama, and dialogue. I was expecting more...
Ed Vaughn
This is the sequel to "The Legacy of Heorot." LOH was a rip snorting adventure novel not unlike "Star Wars" or "Avatar" and by the way, I'm not sure why it hasn't been made into a great movie. None the less, "Beowulf's Children introduces us to the next generation of star born colonists on a planet orbiting Tau Ceti. It contains more great adventures as they battle the planet's unknown ecology but is significantly more thought provoking then the first novel. A very good read!
Ben
A novel about the process of colonization of another planet rather than the Aliens-like sci-fi horror story the first book was. Natural threats to the colony form a background, but most of the words deal with politics, the division between the first and second generation and soap opera-type teenage sexual drama. Readable and interesting, but not the frightening thrill-ride the first book was.
Tera Marie
Aside from some editing errors that I found distracting (misspelled words, improper word usage), this book was fantastic. A continuatiion of the story of a group who have come from Earth to settle a new planet. We now here the story of the Star Borns and how they cope with being the first generation of children in this new world and the new challenges and dangers they face.
Erinn
I found this to be an interesting read, so much so that I started trying to find the book that comes before it. However it didn't take me long to realize that the first book is out of print.

What I think is the most interesting thing about this book is that years later I still find myself thinking about some of the things that happened in this book and the color blue.
Hien
This is the sequel to The Legacy of Heorot. It's nowhere near as good as the original. The Grendels in the original had personality and were scary. The species that humans go up against in this one is some insect-like creatures. Even though they're just as deadly as the Grendels, they just don't evoke the same level of visceral fear like the Grendels.
Israel
Not a terrible story by any means, but the gratuitous sex was a bit overdone. Also it is hard to believe that such educated and intelligent folk as the First would allow such actions as committed by the Second. If the Second were older the story would make more sense, but I do have a hard time seeing teenagers being able to plan such complex actions.
Nick
The premier, the best of the many collaborations between Niven and Pournelle with Barnes. A followup to _The Legacy of Herot_, this charts the aftermath of the first interstellar colonization as they expand. The rugged individualist, the types of protagonists that Heinlein created so well, are expanded by these authors. Strongly recommended.
Stephen Arnott
A huge come down after the first book in the series. The story was too wrapped up in politics and in-fighting for me to enjoy.

It's one of those books that has enough going for it to keep you turning the pages, but makes you wish you'd learned to speed read.

I struggled to finish it.
Andreas
A peaceful offworld colony is attacked by beasts. Very exciting stuff. The second book is not quite as good, but still a great read. I thoroughly enjoyed these.

Note: Beowulf’s Children was published in the UK as “The Dragons of Heorot”.

Cover art? 1 22 Jun 13, 2007 10:52PM
  • Heart of the Comet
  • The Stars are Also Fire (Harvest of Stars, #2)
  • King David's Spaceship
  • Deathkiller (Omnibus contains MINDKILLER and TIME PRESSURE)
  • Moonseed (NASA Trilogy, #3)
  • The Other End of Time
  • Berserker Base
  • Eternity (The Way, #2)
  • Year's Best SF 12
  • Assignment in Eternity
  • Vengeance of Orion (Orion, #2)
  • Brightness Reef (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #1)
  • The Tranquillity Alternative
  • Do Comets Dream?
  • Magnificat (Galactic Milieu Trilogy, #3)
Laurence van Cott Niven's best known work is Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) (1970), which received the Hugo, Locus, Ditmar, and Nebula awards. His work is primarily hard science fiction, using big science concepts and theoretical physics. The creation of thoroughly worked-out alien species, which are very different from humans both physically and mentally, is recognized as one of Niven's main strengths ...more
More about Larry Niven...

Heorot (2 books)
  • The Legacy of Heorot (Heorot #1)
Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) The Mote in God's Eye (Moties, #1) Lucifer's Hammer The Ringworld Engineers (Ringworld, #2) Footfall