Blank-133x176
Ultimate Alphabet

Mike Wilks

Ultimate Alphabet

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Now in paperback: the book that tantalized readers when it was first published in 1987--and inspired an international contest. Each page of this intriguing and artful book shows a letter of the alphabet accompanied by an illustrious illustration containing hundreds of objects and images beginning with that letter. "Imaginative, ingenious, and inventive".--Time.
Published October 15th 1986 by Holt Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1986)

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
This was a really fun book; a set of 26 paintings, each representing a letter of the alphabet. Each page also told you how many objects starting with that letter were present in the painting. An associated word-list gave you a much larger number of possible words and the goal was to figure out which words were represented and which ones were not. Entertaining and educational.
Tracy
I've become obsessed with this book since picking it up at a thrift store (it's not in print anymore, which is a pity.) Each letter of the alphabet gets a one-page spread by the artist featuring as many words beginning with that letter as he is able to cram in, and the game begins when the reader examines the picture to find them. The oil paintings are lush and rich with detail, and of necessity rather bizarre (like a desert scene featuring dinosaurs, diagrams, dogs, and a delerious demigod for...more
Keith
So over the summer I finally tracked down Mike Wilks' books. I was hoping for some lost classics, and while his technical ability as a sort of pop-surrealist painter is basically superhuman, his tendency to fill his books with long-winded text explaining his own genius, inspiration and process pretty much kills the mood. It's sort of like reading a 32-page textbook.

Also weird is the fact that he painted his own face into EVERY painting for EVERY letter. The dude is basically a Dahmer lookalike,...more
angrykitty
i don't have a category for this book, but it's really amazing. what it is, is it's a book of paintings that each contain like hundreds of things that start with each letter of the alphbet. i'd say it's a kids book, but there is a surprising amount of nudity, so i don't know how kid friendly it is. plus, even though it's an alphbet book, it not like any other i've seen. i have the version with the workbook, so you know what to look for in each picture, but the problem is, i don't know what half...more
Rebecca Jasman
Publication Date: 1997

Genre: ABC book

Awards won:

Themes: alphabet

Annotation: This alphabet has rich illustrations that have many items that begin with the letter on the page.

Ways to use the book with children: sound hunts through the book
Amanda
This is one I think my mom got me as an annual Christmas present (we always got at least one really cool book). This one is like an artistic, intellectual version of Where's Waldo. Seriously even if I were to do it now, I probably wouldn't find half of the words on any given page. There is a workbook/list of all the objects that are contained in each page/painting, but I think you'd have to have at least a dictionary around to figure out what a lot of them are. For creative, brainy, artistic, de...more
Amber
Just pictures - but amazing pictures! My uncle gave us this book when I was little and I remember spending HOURS paging through it-- Each page is one letter of the alphabet and there's very detailed, bizarre, busy paintings with tons of objects in each one. Every object in the paintings begin with the letter of that page. The artist also painted himself into each picture. Great for kids AND adults!
Michelle Ford
Oh the hours I've spent lost in these pictures, feverishly trying to spot things I haven't noted down before! Beautifully done!
Just thinking about it is making me want to dive into it once more... uh oh... see you in a few hours...
Nancy
This is a fantastic alphabet book created by artist Mike Wilks. Each letter is illustrated by one of his paintings containing hundreds of objects beginning with the letter. It's a challenge, even for adults.
Annare
Annare marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Jubeth
Jubeth added it
Jan 03, 2014
G Catherine
G Catherine marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Alisa
Alisa added it
Jun 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Mirrorscape Mirrorstorm (Mirrorscape) The Ultimate Noah's Ark MirrorShade (Mirrorscape #3) The Annotated Ultimate Alphabet