Start by marking “Captain Grey” as Want to Read:
Captain Grey

Captain Grey

Young Kevin Cartwright is the prisoner of a pirate king.

"I shall find a way to get free." "Free!" he shouted. "You are here, with us now. You can forget about your father and your sister, or anybody else you may have known. You belong to no nation but this nation. Put him back where he was and don't feed him. Tomorrow we shall talk again about freedom!"

Paperback
Published June 21st 2000 by HarperCollins (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Captain Grey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain Grey

Colby S.
Jun 07, 2017 Colby S. rated it really liked it
I thought captain grey was a very fine piece of literature. This book definitely satisfied my thirst for adventure. I liked how the book took you to a time where pirates sailed the seas, and showed you the basics of living like a pirate. My favorite parts of the book was when Captain Grey and his men got on their rafts and longboats and took down ships just off the coast of their "Nation". This book however, didn't go into much depth when it talked about taking down said ships; which I didn't re ...more
Jeff_§of2014
This book started out with Kevin and his sister, Cathleen who was born in the City of Philadelphia. Cathleen was 2 years older than Kevin, but their mother died during Kevin's birth had fled Ireland to go to America with nothing but his hate of the English. When the War of Independence took hold of the Americans, he left Kevin and Cathleen to take care of their mother's cousin, Mrs. Barry. Mrs. Barry was low on money, so she was always worried about food. Kevin and Cathleen weren't accepted by o ...more
Chazzi
Jan 21, 2016 Chazzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
I picked this up to read between the biography "The Bashful Billionaire" and "The Patchwork Planet", both adult reads. I have been reading Avi's books for a while and am attempting to have a complete collection of his.

Granted the book is for kids, but it offers excitement, mystery and adventure that even adults can get into.

It is 1783 and pirates do exist. Kevin Cartwright has been kidnapped by one of the most murderous ones around, Captain Grey. Grey and his band killed his father and sister bu
Adilene Macedo
Oct 11, 2008 Adilene Macedo rated it liked it
Summary

The story is mainly focused on a boy named Kevin that is captured by Captain Grey and his crew. When Kevin is captured he is kept locked up until he agrees to become a pirate.Kevin then is later shown by Captain Grey the methods in order to survive and take his place as captain if he were to die. Kevin goes trough 2 sea battles being part of is experience on how to fight. Throughout the book Kevin spends 25 days until he can be freed.

My favorite line is "Well, Master Freeman Kevin" this
Lisa Rathbun
Aug 11, 2011 Lisa Rathbun rated it it was ok
I'm sure this was an exciting book, but it seemed like such a ripoff of "Treasure Island" that I couldn't enjoy it as much. It even ends almost exactly the same as "Treasure Island." Captain Grey, however, is no where near as well-rounded and interesting a character as Long John Silver. His erratic history makes the narrator sorry for him, but it just wasn't convincing to me. The main character also reminded me a lot of Captain Nemo in "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea." I would probably not recomme ...more
Phil
May 06, 2015 Phil rated it liked it
Laura Verret
Oct 20, 2011 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodwill-finds
One of the best, most interesting children's stories that I have read in quite some time. I appreciate Avi's style - it is very authentic and sounds like it was written in an older time period. That said, the ending did disappoint me just a little bit. I'm not sure how I wanted the story to culminate, but not the way it did.
Ariane
Jul 03, 2015 Ariane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the strong sister in this YA book. She survives alone in a pigeon cave, schemes to get revenge on the pirates who killed her father and captured her brother. Aggressive, strong, determined - yeah!
Ginny Williams
Jun 28, 2007 Ginny Williams rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
loved this one... funny, historical aspect of Revolutionary war time period. Great for preteen reading age group, but one that will be enjoyed by all.
Krista
May 10, 2008 Krista rated it really liked it
A pirate tale told from shore. It's exciting and fast paced trying to out think the old captain.
Arlene Allen
Oct 06, 2012 Arlene Allen rated it liked it
Before there were fifty shades...
Susan
Sep 15, 2008 Susan rated it did not like it
Grim story of a boy captured by a group of embittered men, led by Captain Grey, who turn to piracy. They capture ships, take no captives, and then sink the ships.
Deborah Harris
Dec 23, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-5, a18
AR Quiz No. 42431 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: MG - BL: 5.8 - AR Pts: 5.0
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Kitty
Jul 18, 2009 Kitty rated it liked it
Good action read for 4/5th graders.
googoo
Apr 22, 2011 googoo rated it really liked it
In 1783, young Kevin Cartwright is kidnapped by the mysterious Captain Grey and his crew of pirates after they kill Kevin's father and sister.
Tasha
Tasha rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2008
Bronwen
Bronwen rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2017
Joleen
Joleen rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Anne Marie Quin
Anne Marie Quin rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2012
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2008
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2009
Maggie
Maggie rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2011
Aislinn
Aislinn rated it it was ok
May 11, 2014
Grace
Grace rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Sami Fulciniti
Sami Fulciniti rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Michael Burns
Michael Burns rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2012
Ms. Scudder
Ms. Scudder rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it it was ok
Nov 08, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2013
Matthew Gregory
Matthew Gregory rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
  • Jake Drake, Teacher's Pet
  • Mine for Keeps
  • Soup & Me
  • My Daniel
  • Mr. Tucket (The Tucket Adventures, #1)
  • The Ghost Wore Gray (Nina Tanleven, #2)
  • Warrior Scarlet
  • Beauty
  • Hurry Home, Candy
  • The Trolls
  • Mickey & Me (A Baseball Card Adventures, #5)
  • Weasel
  • Violet Makes A Splash (Sister Magic)
  • The Midnight Fox
  • Grievous Attacks! (Star Wars: The Clone Wars Junior Novel, #2)
Avi is a pen name for Edward Irving Wortis, but he says, "The fact is, Avi is the only name I use." Born in 1937, Avi has created many fictional favorites such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Nothing but the Truth, and the Crispin series. His work is popular among readers young and old.
More about Avi...