Start by marking “Servant of the Bones” as Want to Read:
Servant of the Bones

Servant of the Bones

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  22,469 ratings  ·  343 reviews
In a new and major novel, the creator of fantastic universes o vampires and witches takes us now into the world of Isaiah and Jeremiah, and the destruction of Solomon's Temple, to tell the story of Azriel, Servant of the Bones.

He is ghost, genii, demon, angel--pure spirit made visible. He pours his heart out to us as he journeys from an ancient Babylon of royal plottings a
Published (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Servant of the Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Servant of the Bones

Irene
Like most of Anne Rice's later work, this book is written in a loose, breathy semisoftcore, purple overwrought style and is sprinkled with too many one sentence paragraphs. The premise of the story isn't bad and I didn't have a hard time getting though it but it does give one that creepy squirrely feeling of having unintentionally intruded upon someone else's sexual fantasies about Antonio Banderas.
J.
This one seems to be written during the height of Rice's creative talents. Although it did have a few boring moments, I actually really liked it. The mythology and ritual of how djinn work in her universe is actually pretty cool. I like that the continuity of how spiritual beings kind of coalesce by pulling atoms and molecules together out of thin air to create their bodies was fascinating, as was seen with Lasher and Memnoch in other stories. Forget the overused characters like Lestat, this one ...more
Kathryn
The basic idea of this story seemed to come out of left field: A charming, fairly spiritual Babylonian sacrifices himself in a beautiful ceremony for the sake of his people. He dies (very, VERY horribly), and becomes a powerful spirit in the control of whoever owns his gold-plated skeleton. It's quite strange, and I haven't been able to find which myth it's based on (seems to be a combination of the vampire and golem myths, but that's not really descriptive of the result). 99.9% of it is told in ...more
Dan
Jen
Admittedly, I didn't finish this book. I read 60 of 360 pages and found it more tortorously boring and overly descriptive. I think the book was laced with a sleep aid.
Shawna McKinnis
The Servant of the Bones falls into the Crunchy Vegetable category. It took me quite a while to really get into the story. In my quest to own and read everything Anne Rice, however, I endured and interspersed my stints of reading Servant with nice helpings of Ice Cream books.
In the Servant of the Bones you meet the spirit Azriel as he tells his tale to the Professor and Author Jonathan. Azriel’s tale is one of great sorrow, fear, and in the end, love. You look at the human condition on a scale
laurenpie
May 20, 2013 laurenpie rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to laurenpie by: Shawn
The bones of a truly fascinating literary novel, but regrettably fleshed out into a light and mediocre quick-read.

I find the topic fascinating to contemplate: a millenia-old spirit, incredibly powerful, yet confused regarding his own provenance, and unsure even what he is: Angel of Wrath? Demon?

Knowing that he is brimming with hate and violence, yet catching fleeting glimpses of a way he once learned from a forgotten master he once loved, a way dedicated to goodness.

With a more diligent author,
Lizann Dennis
Anne Rice tells the story slowly; A demon or god recalling his past while a temporary recluse writer transcribes the story for him is a unique story line. Rice tells the story with such care that you come to find yourself attached to this man who is now neither living or dead, no longer a man but not quite an all-powerful god. I enjoyed this strange tale of how a god is created where usually gods simply exist, they are not given a human element at all. I would like to re-read this text because I ...more
Kelly
Although it has been a few years since I have read this book, it still stays with me. Anne Rice has an amazing attention to detail and the ability to really put the reader into her characters' heads. She uses flashbacks and backstory to develop her characters and give them personality. She even gives personality to characters that most others would have ignored. This layers the story and gives it life. In this book she goes into mythology and intertwines religions to create a unique story. The m ...more
Darth
Better than expected - after struggling through the VIOLIN and that awful one about the castrated singer - I did not expect much from this - but it had most of the best elements of Rice - and fewer of the worst.

The prose was less in the way of trying to be epic poetry, and although the characters were clunky and badly written - the pseudo-historical parts were interesting enough to keep me in there.

Seems like this was the second straight book of Anne Rice that had the line, "I was amazed, but n
Aaron
This book is about an ancient Hebrew boy who was selected for a deadly ritual, and ended up being subjected to an even more hideous ritual just before his physical life ended. The second ritual resulted in him become a "Servant of the Bones" - a genie, of sorts. After thousands of years of being passed from owner to owner, he realizes that he is not subjected to bondage any longer. This book is about his redemption from hate, which leads him to perform some rather extraordinarily good deeds.

As a
Michael Barnett
I started reading all of Anne Rice's vampire books, then started with the Mayfair Witches, which for the most part, enjoyed thoroughly. After a while, however, I was wanting something more. After all, how many times can you re spin books with the same central theme? Then I found Servant of the Bones. I have always loved historical epics, and beginning the story in Babylon, during the Jewish captivity there, was not only brilliant, but very well written. Miss Rice has always, not only done much r ...more
Colleen
Tassie
I have a love/hate relationship with Anne Rice. I love her when she moves stories along. Her skills are wonderful and drive the characters and the situations beautifully.

Then she lapses into feelings and souls and a bunch of mumbo-jumbo blah blah blah that I couldn't care less about.

This was the latter rather than the former.

Really, the book could have been 100 pages long, but instead takes you through a thousand years that mean nothing and twenty pages of meaningful stuff at the end.

Blah.
Danielle
I have never been so happy to finish a book in my life. Ok that's probably not true. In fact I think The School on Heart's Content Road was probably worse. I only read this book because it is for one of my book clubs. For this book club whoever is hosting gets to choose the book. The person hosting May's book club is a sci-fi/fantasy fan, which is so not my genre at all. She offered us 3 choices of books and this seemed the most mainstream, so it got the most votes. I sincerely wish I had voted ...more
Kraig Horton
This was another good book from Anne Rice. "Servant of the Bones" brings mythology, religion and a compelling visual story that like her other novels made this almost like watching a movie. The main character is narrating through several past events leading to the present his life as a servant to the bones that he was cursed to. I have read many novels that this type of layers in a story took away from the novels appeal because it made things to complicated but Rice used it amazingly and without ...more
A.R. Voss
When I was reading Anne Rice's "Servant of the Bones" last year, I could not decide if I cared much for her style or the story. It was not until I finished the book that I began thinking about both the story and the writing style. It took another three months before I realized how thought provoking her book had been for me. And that to me is the sign of a true artist. Since then I have enjoyed a few of her books and just finished "Interview with the Vampire" (Which I always thought was called "I ...more
Shomeret
The story about Azrael in Babylon is beautiful, but I suppose Anne Rice is attempting to validate the Book of Enoch which is apochryphal by including a prophet named Enoch among the exiles in Babylon. The Enoch mentioned in the Old Testament is Methuselah's father from a much earlier generation. This is a minor point. Most readers probably will not notice.

The contemporary plot line didn't have the impact that it might have had because it reminded me of other similar scenarios I've seen in other
Cherie
I almost didn't finish reading this book... the first 100 pages were very tedious and boring me to tears. However, I wanted to read at least 1/4 of the way through (about 100 pages) before making a decision whether to put this book aside since I've read a number of good books that also started off slow. In this case, I'm glad I continued reading as things got more interesting right around the 100th page, when Azriel was made into the Servant of the Bones.

I didn't particularly care for the style
Romed Papa
The Servant of the bones is a novel made by Anne Rice. It about a story of how Azriel became the servant of the bones. Anne Rice is the author of sixteen books. She lives in New Orleans with her husband, the poet and painter Stan Rice, And their son, Christopher. This story is about a guy name Jonathan who wants to take revenge for on a girl who he once know. He collapse before coming to his cottage but he was rescued by Azriel then he said that he was the one that take revenge on what Jonathan ...more
Denise
This book is very much Anne Rice, albeit without vampires. The main character, Azriel, is a Hebrew born into a rich family and grows up in Babylon during the reign of Nabonidus (556-539 BCE). Rice has done a bit of homework–Azriel, a scribe, is taught in a “tablet house” where he is beaten for being late or not having his lessons done. This is a reference, it would seem, to the famous Sumerian language apple-polishing story. (See Kramer, The Sumerians pp. 237-240)

But that’s only his first life.
Mark Smiley
I have read many Anne Rice books in the past. Then that phase went by and I thought never to pick one up again.

Then a coworker said this was the best book she had written, which was kind of a challenge to me, so I picked it up from the local library.

It was a nice change from vampires, which is what I equate Anne Rice with.

The premise is is that a person in Babylon, many years ago, gets elected to become the servant of the bones, which is kind of a demon spirit or a djinn who would later be cal
Romed Papa
Hien
Run, do not walk to the nearest trashcan and deposit it at the bottom. Don't put it on top of the trash because some homeless person might accidentally read it. His life is already pretty sad. We don't need to make it worse.

It's about a genie locked inside a pile of bones. The story is told in the same interview format as "Interview with a Vampire". There's a homoerotic undertone throughout the book which I found quite tedious.
Colleen
I like it when Anne Rice (1) leaves the world of vampires and (2) leaves New Orleans. She did both in this book and I approve mightily.

A very ancient creature is telling his life story to someone, simply because it is a story to be told. We get to sit with both characters in a cabin by a fireplace and listen in. The story is terrifying, heartwarming, aching and joyous at times, and told exceedingly well.
John Kennison
Not being an Anne Rice fan, didn't know what to expect when I found this book at a book sale. However, the ancient Babylon setting and Judaism mythology behind the story line really drew me in. Very compelling storyline and one could develop a real connection with the 'bones' by the end of the story.
Brandy
Another fav from Anne Rice. She makes you fall inlove with her characters, and I fell right in with Azriel... The servant of the bones... I love stories about genies or Djin, which ever u prefer to call them, and this story has been one of the best.
Eddie Black
I got this one autographed at a signing in Little Rock, Arkansas. I could barely speak as Anne signed it and had to go lay down on the floor between some bookshelves. HA!
Kevin Wellen
Original story in Bablyonian times of a Jewish boy who is turned into a bound spirit to serve ancient wizards/witches.
  • Anne Rice's The Tale of the Body Thief (A Graphic Novel)
  • The Vampire Companion
  • Beauty's Release (Sleeping Beauty, #3)
  • Children of the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #2)
  • Conversations with Anne Rice: An Intimate, Enlightening Portrait of Her Life and Work
  • Haunted City: An Unauthorized Guide to the Magical, Magnificent New Orleans of Anne Rice
  • Mr. X
  • Necroscope II: Vamphyri! (Necroscope, #2)
  • Light Before Day
  • Roman Dusk (Saint-Germain, #19)
  • I, Vampire: The Confessions of a Vampire - His Life, His Loves, His Strangest Desires ...
  • The Blood Countess
  • Beguiled (Devoted, #2)
  • The Green Mile, Part 2: The Mouse on the Mile
  • The Ultimate Dracula: New Stories by Some of the World's Leading Authors
  • Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story
  • Dracula the Un-Dead
  • Everville (Book of the Art, #2)
Anne Rice (born Howard Allen Frances O'Brien) is a best-selling American author of gothic, supernatural, historical, erotica, and later religious themed books. Best known for The Vampire Chronicles, her prevailing thematical focus is on love, death, immortality, existentialism, and the human condition. She was married to poet Stan Rice for 41 years until his death in 2002. Her books have sold near ...more
More about Anne Rice...
Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1) The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2) The Queen of the Damned (The Vampire Chronicles, #3) The Witching Hour (Lives of the Mayfair Witches, #1) The Tale of the Body Thief (The Vampire Chronicles, #4)

“There is one purpose to life and one only: to bear witness to and understand as much as possible of the complexity of the world- its beauty, its mysteries, its riddles.” 152 likes
“The greatest create of power you have on earth, whether you are an angel, a spirit, a man or woman or child is to help others.” 31 likes