Start by marking “Money Can't Buy Love” as Want to Read:
Money Can't Buy Love

Money Can't Buy Love

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Lenora Stone used to say if she didn't have bad luck, she wouldn't have any luck at all. At age thirty-eight, instead of socializing with Baltimore's A-list, she photographs them for Baltimore Scene, a glossy magazine filled with beautiful people who, unlike Lenora, never have to worry about car trouble and overdue bills. As much as she'd love to slam the door on her overb ...more
Published June 27th 2011 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Money Can't Buy Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Money Can't Buy Love

Lucky You by Carl HiaasenAn Embarrassment of Riches by Gerald HansenThe Lottery Winner by Mary Higgins ClarkThe Winner by David BaldacciBurn by Linda Howard
Lottery Winners in Fiction
36th out of 44 books — 9 voters
Hold Still by Nina LaCourVision in White by Nora RobertsSaving June by Hannah HarringtonThe Lotus Eaters by Tatjana SoliLove the One You're With by Emily Giffin
Fictional Photographers
64th out of 111 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Read In Colour
If the main character had any redeeming qualities, I may have rated this higher. She has to be one of the dumbest and predictable women I've ever read about. Just wasn't very realistic.
Alexis Villery
Lenora has a decidedly imperfect life where she can't seem to make ends meet or make progress to many of her goals. As noted on the jacket and other descriptions, Lenora wins the lottery and seemingly all her dreams can now come true. Ms. Briscoe explores the elements of human nature and what truly brings happiness. It is a quick read (I read it in a day) and entirely realistic.

To be honest, I really struggled with this rating. I love that Ms. Briscoe didn't rush right into Lenora winning the lo
Daenel
Oh. My. Word. I wanted to reach into the book, snatch that woman up by her throat and slap her around. And I’m not a violent person. But Lenora Stone like to have driven me to drink. And I don’t drink. Yes, her crazy was that bad.

Without giving the book away, let’s just say that Lenora did everything wrong that you could possibly do when you’ve won the lottery. Furthermore, she was the least sympathetic character I’ve read about in a long time. And, honestly, I think that’s why I became absorbed
Nicole
I found myself conflicted about this book. It's pretty clear that Lenore is not a heroic figure, and I don't think that Ms. Briscoe made many excuses for her, but I never got the sense that anybody in this book saw anybody else clearly. I couldn't decide whether this was a comment on the reality of relationships, or maybe just the result of Ms. Briscoe's characterizations. People did not seem consistent, and it felt like most of the people in this book were as much a mystery to me at the end as ...more
Hattie

Lenora lives in Maryland, Baltimore. Little does she know that one day, just one day, will change her whole life around. Lenora wins the Maryland Lottery for 5 million dollars. The shock makes her literally sick for a week or two. In "money can't buy love by Connie Briscoe," Lenora's decisions about whether to keep her job, which friends are truly her friends and which man is best for her life are only some of the hard decisions she must tackle with a new mindset and a full pocketbook of money.

T
Andrea Guy
Grab this book for an afternoon read by the pool. This book has summer written all over it. It is light, not to thought provoking and a touch bit fluffy. Fluff is one of my favorite things but this book may overdo it just a tad, because it was heavy on predictability.

Lenora has a crappy life and it keeps getting crappier. The problem with her character is that there is no way you can have any sympathy for her. She digs her own holes and apparently she likes them pretty deep.

She also likes really
LiteraryMarie
Fast read. Full review to be posted on www.precisionreviews.blogspot.com

Money Can't Buy Love starts off very interesting. Thirty-eight year old Lenora Stone was recently dumped by her fiance, deserted by her best friends, had her cashmere silver BMW repossessed, and foreclosed on her million dollar dream house. Clearly she is down on her luck and depressed. We see her on the verge of giving up with the first line. Whoa! What happened to this misfortunate main character? Well, she won $5 million
Sachki
This was a good book and would make a great movie, Tyler Perry needs to check this out asap. It took me a few months to read this book, it was so long but it was very detailed. But as I read this book I felt I was taking the journey with each of the characters. I would recommend this book very highly. Hope they make a part 2.
OOSA
The Price of Greed

We’ve all, at some point or another, fantasized about what we would do if we won, inherited or had a substantial amount of money. For me, I’m not greedy, I’d pay my tithes, God first; buy a modest home; set up college funds for my children; and help my immediate family, friends and my community. Sounds simple enough, right? But for Lenora Stone, it isn’t so easy.

After months of dodging creditors, dealing with a boss she absolutely hates and dreaming of joining the ranks of Girl
Katrina Burchett
Lenora Stone is a woman in her late thirties who lives in a condo she can barely afford, has bills she can barely pay and emotional eating certainly is not helping her weight issue. She's a photographer for a city magazine, but she cannot stand the woman she works for. And she's been dating a man for three years, longing for the day when he'll propose marriage. Will winning the jackpot in the Maryland lottery make her life better? Will it change the people around her? Will it change her?

As I rea
Cheryl
Lenora is a 37 year old who has a boyfriend named Gerald. She really wants to get married, but he keeps putting the subject off. They have been together for 3 years, and she wonders if he will ever be ready. He is trying to get his business off the ground and wants to get their finances in order before getting married. I didn't like Gerald at all. He made comments about Lenora's weight (I have had to deal with this problem myself, and it doesn't help matters at all...just makes me feel worse), a ...more
Tracy Darity
Money Can’t Buy Love by Connie Briscoe is the story of 37 year-old Lenora Stone. She’s living a humdrum life, barely making ends meet, when she hits the lottery. The book opens with Lenora poor and destitute after squandering her winnings. A reporter knocks on her door and she agrees to share her story. We travel back in time a year or so and the story begins.

I must say that I have read every book Connie Briscoe has published and this by far is the biggest disappointment. Although I believe Mone
Literary Wonders
ISBN 13: 978-0446534840
Pages: 289
Publisher: Gran Central Publishing
Cover: Hardcover
Reviewer: Yolanda M. Johnson-Bryant– Literary Wonders!
Rating: 3.5 Stars

Money Can’t Buy Love by bestselling author Connie Briscoe is the story of Lenora Stone. Lenora is drowning in debt and desperately trying to hang on to her boyfriend of three years—who really shows no interest in her. Even though he has cheated on her before, she
drey
drey’s thoughts:
Connie Briscoe’s Money Can’t Buy Love is a cautionary tale–of what not to do if you happen to win the lottery… Case in point: Lenora Stone. Lenora has bills up the wazoo, a commitment-phobic boyfriend, and a boss we’d all love to hate. But then she wins the lottery, and becomes lost in the glee of spending it all.

She was briefly anxious about winning all that money, and worrying about how she’ll manage it. But that went flying out the window with her first purchase, and she does
Karen Miller
Lenora Stone is having a tough time of it. She’s overweight, behind in her bills, and she’s been dating a man for three years whom she just can’t get to the altar.
And though she’s got a great job as a photographer for a popular Baltimore lifestyle magazine, she can’t get along with her boss -- the gorgeous and filthy-mouthed Dawna Delaney.
If only she had enough money to quit.
If only her life were different.
If only she could hit the state lottery.
Then she does – to the tune of $5 million.
She
Jt O'Neill
I was not impressed. I guess I continued reading just to see what would happen to the main character but I found myself skimming pages just to get to the conclusion. The story was predictable, the characters fairly shallow, the dialogue stilted. But it was kind of fun to imagine actually winning five million dollars! But you have to play the lottery to win so that won't happen......
Laura de Leon
I've been thinking about this book for several days now, and I'm starting to think I'm missing something about it.

It isn't badly written in any general sense. The words flow well, the characters behave consistently, their voices fit with their actions.

But even with that said, I'm missing why I'd want to read this book, other than the description sounding good. Honestly, I wouldn't have finished it if it wasn't for this tour.

On the one hand, what was missing for me in this book was the fun. I ju
Patrice
I read this in 2-3 hours. Not realistic in any way and the characters were poorly developed or not developed at all. There was also an extremely abrupt ending. I need more development and craft in my readings...I cannot recommend this as a good read.
Paloma Meir
I feel like I just read a very mediocre story by a writer who could do much better. Incredibly downbeat considering there was no great tragedy. Unpleasant person wins lottery, remains unpleasant, The End. I'll try another book by this author in a couple of months.
Linda Boyd
I finished this book and really enjoyed it. I like Connie Briscoe a lot and was happy to find her new book at the bookstore. This book is about Lenora Stone, she is a photographer for a magazine called The Baltimore Scene. She is financially over extended, loves her job but her boss, not so much. She is in love with a guy she has dated for 3 years and she is ready to get married, past ready actually!! In her mind she thinks all of her issues/problems could be solved if she won the lottery - don' ...more
Shavonne
I enjoy reading books that aren't predictable. "Money Can't Buy Love" is too predictable. There was one surprise that caught me off guard.
Wanda
Easy, mindless reading. I was disappointed with how it ended but overall the story kept me intrigued.
Lab
Sadly this wasn't one of her best...we needed at least 25-30 more pages to flesh out the story...Like was Gerald cheating with Robin, and what happened after Lenora lost the $$$. Where'd she move to? Did her so called friends ever come back around or were they jealious? Did she find another job? Way too many lose ends and this isn't how Ms Brisco rites...For a Gr8t book on winning the lotery and it's aftermath, ...Read 1 in a million much better, fleshed out story....
Carla
I liked it at the outset because I wanted to know how she handled the lottery. I knew from the beginning that it wasn't a happily ever after story, but didn't expect the ending to be so abrupt.

Connie Briscoe did well in telling the story, but Lenora isn't a very sympathetic character to cheer for even when she won the lottery. She failed to make good decisions even before she won the lottery.
Theresa Lindsay
Very predictable w/ no surprises. Only kept reading because I was hoping the ending would be different. Glad I borrowed it from the library instead of adding it to my collection.
Bettye Griffin
Jul 18, 2011 Bettye Griffin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoy fast-paced stories
A fast-paced read with a heroine who was both relatable and sympathetic, even as you want to scream at her, "What are you DOING?" I enjoyed this book very much, felt as if I knew Lenora Stone personally. It's written in a zippy style, and I can't remember the last time I read a book so fast (but I READ it; no skimming).
Andrea
This is basically a story about a foolish woman (Lenora) who apparently needs to learn basic truths about money and men the hard way. I was very frustrated with Lenora throughout the book. It held my attention -- I definitely wouldn't call it boring -- but I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone I know.
Norlisa
While the premise of this book is interesting, I feel like a lot was missing from it. It seemed like Connie Brisco just got tired of writing and wrapped up the book with out really completing it. It's not her best work.
Suzanne
Sometimes I liked Lenora, and sometimes I just wanted to smack her really hard! I liked this book, didn't love it. From reading other's reviews, though, it sounds like I should try some of Ms. Briscoe's earlier works.
Kym
This was very good. This woman started out smart, and became very stupid after she won the lottery. She had to learn some hard lessons about money cannot buy.
  • Getting Hers
  • Don't Tell a Soul
  • The Secret She Kept
  • You Gotta Sin to Get Saved
  • Holy Ghost Corner
  • And You Call Yourself a Christian (Still Divas #1)
  • Remember Me
  • The Company We Keep
  • Sunday Brunch: A Novel
CONNIE BRISCOE has been a full-time published author for more than ten years. Born with a hearing impairment, Connie never allowed that to stop her from pursuing her dreams…writing. Since she left the world of editing to become a writer, Connie has hit the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Boston Herald, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestseller lists.
More about Connie Briscoe...
Big Girls Don't Cry Sisters & Lovers Can't Get Enough P.G. County A Long Way from Home