Start by marking “Agent of Chaos” as Want to Read:
Agent of Chaos

Agent of Chaos

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  16 reviews
One of the most celebrated underground science fiction books of the time. Led to the "Agents of Pie-Kill Unlimited" the group that for a price would throw a pie in anyone's face.
Published January 1st 1978 by Popular Library (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Agent of Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agent of Chaos

Andy Wixon
I bought - well, okay, I didn't actually 'buy' this book, it was in the FREE BOOKS box outside one of the local second-hand shops along with a pile of Michael Moorcocks - I picked this up on the strength of the author's name and because of the blurb on the back (more on this later).

I read Bug Jack Barron years ago and was really impressed by the thoughtfulness and energy of the story. Agent of Chaos was written earlier and it definitely shows: this book is incredibly clunky and uninvolving. It's
Norrin2
I've got a feeling this is one of those books that you have to read at the right time in your life. And the right time is probably freshman year of high school, which, fortunately for me, was when I read it. And its lasting impact on my thought processes is immeasurable. To this day, I cannot believe wholly in any politician, and in any situation I can step back and take a larger view. Good and bad, this book changed my perception of reality and my process of perceiving. If you're not 14 years o ...more
John E. Branch Jr.
The Science Fiction Encyclopedia, which I now turn to frequently in assessing my earlier reading, unceremoniously dismisses Agent of Chaos as a "commercial Space Opera…which depicts a garish Dystopia en passant" and says no more. When I read Norman Spinrad's early novel, in the late 70s or early 80s, it did more for me than that reading captures. It seemed vaguely political, even vaguely philosophical, in the way it described a conflict.

There's a big, bad government ruling Earth with a heavy han
David Gross
Aug 01, 2007 David Gross rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Heinleinians, Randoids, fnord-spotters
Shelves: sci-fi-esque, fiction
A space ships & laser blaster scrappy rebels against the empire story.

You gotta be able to tolerate monologues like: "Once the League is eliminated, we'll be able to go on to establish absolute control of the entire human race. Look how far we've come already! Three short centuries ago, the human race was on the verge of destroying itself. The Greater Soviet Union and the Atlantic Union were ready to fly at each other's throats. If the Sino-Soviet war hadn't brought them to their senses ...
Steve
Apr 08, 2008 Steve rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mad scientists, discordians, jammers, secret societies, social protesters
Recommended to Steve by: found it at a book fair long ago
I read this book in Junior High School and it made me question everything I knew at the time (which wasn't much), while embracing a life of pranks. In retrospect, this book was a turning point for me in that it shed light on politics, anarchy, chaos and more. In a Post 9/11 world the final act of the Brotherhood of Chaos might be considered just too much. But fuck that- it's fiction.

In retrospect, it doesn't seem as revolutionary as it did to my eager young mind at the time. But it remains thoug
Abraham
Favorito instantáneo. Al principio parecer ser otra novelita de la época de la guerra fría sobre sistemas totalitarios surgidos a partir del crecimiento de la URSS. Otra "1984", pues. Sin embargo, pronto se nota que no es así. Una ciencia ficción distópica diferente a lo común, con un uso muy inteligente de la sociología combinada con la teoría del caos y la entropía introducida en los sistemas sociales. Muy, muy recomendable.

«Todo conflicto social es un escenario en el cual actúan tres fuerzas
Alessio
un bel libro, in poche pagine analizza molto bene il concetto di caos ed entropia, se vogliamo trovare una pecca sta nella sua ambientazione davvero poco sentita e caratterizzata.
Steven Peterson
Interesting work from sci-fi author Norman Spinrad. This was an earlier work, and his craft improved with time. Nonetheless, an interesting work examining some political issues.The Hegemony is a dictatorship, ensuring order. It is opposed by a rather weak Democratic League. And, then, there is a third party--the enigmatic Brotherhood of Assassins. This is not one of Spinrad's great works, but it is provocative and shows hints of the talent that was to be mmanifest as his work matured.
Scott
Ugh...This is just really, really bad. Spinrad pretty much has the characters say that they are archetypes. It doesn't help that the book is written at a 6th-7th grade level.
And I've never understood why science fiction writers have interstellar spacecraft communicating via radio.
Alex
More like a 2.5 in reality, but goodreads doens't do half-stars. While the general idea of the story is alright, the characters aren't very interesting and Spinrad doesn't expand on his the basis of the story as much as I would have liked. Skip this one.
Erik Graff
Jun 21, 2009 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sf fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
Spinrad has a more intellectual approach to science fiction than many in the field, even in this early (1967) space opera.
Cati
Great book, loved it, I think any review is useless, if you really like SF, you will find it all too interesting :)
Peter
Very interesting book - bit dated in now but the concepts are still valid
Mr. Pe Mr. Pe
this book is great i recommend this to everyone
Pierre
Conflict tussen de sterren
bluetyson
isbn,original
David
David added it
Nov 11, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Haljon
Haljon marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Michelle
Michelle is currently reading it
Oct 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Ballroom of the Skies
  • The Lifeship
  • Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban (Film)
  • The Seedling Stars
  • The Incal: The Epic Journey
  • Thorns
  • No Enemy but Time
  • Cosmic Engineers
  • Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids (Lucky Starr, #2)
  • Earthworks
Born in New York in 1940, Norman Spinrad has been an acclaimed SF writer.

Norman Spinrad, born in New York City, is a graduate of the Bronx High School of Science. In 1957 he entered City College of New York and graduated in 1961 with a Bachelor of Science degree as a pre-law major. In 1966 he moved to San Francisco, then to Los Angeles, and now lives in Paris. He married fellow novelist N. Lee Woo
More about Norman Spinrad...
Bug Jack Barron The Iron Dream The Void Captain's Tale Child of Fortune Little Heroes