Start by marking “Beyond the Veil” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Veil

Beyond the Veil

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  16 reviews
In this short story, Vincent Pels struggles to save his daughter in life and death.
Nook, 0 pages
Published November 26th 2010 by Rathbone, Brian (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Veil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Veil

MsBDiamondDiva1
Ok, this short story is a little confusing; but the concept was very interesting. I think the author should have made it a little long, so you could understand the background of the characters.
Maki (of To - Ra - Ba)
I brilliantly didn't realize until after I'd finished this that it was written by the guy who wrote Call of the Herald, which I read last year. I thought the writing style was familiar.

Not much to say as far as the story itself. It was a story about guardian angels, and fighting your demons. Literally.

Cute, but very, very short. The ending made it feel like there was more that could have been written, so if you hate open endings...um, watch out for that. Definitely felt like it could have been l
Gunnar
3.5 stars for a great concept. The storyline intrigued me but it got kinda chaotic toward the end; a sentence here or there would have clarified the questionable bits nicely. Still a good story and pretty well written. Thanks for the read.
Michelle
This was a very short story (nearly flash fiction). I liked it but I really wish there were more to the story. It was as if the author had a dream, woke up and wrote down everything he remembered. I would love to read more of the story and find out more about the characters. If you ever catch yourself wanting to read something start to finish and only have a few minutes, I highly suggest Beyond the Veil.
Cathy
Short ebook about souls slipping "beyond the veil" to battle demons and save an old soul who has been reincarnated.
It was a little confusing since the souls had different identities on either side of the veil. I don't know where the demons came from except one soul said she had created them through her errors. She must have been a real screw-up because there were a lot of demons.
It was free so WTH.
Stephani
begining was great! but seems like middle through the end was completely rushed and was stopped suddenly. Could have been a whole lot bigger and more! Not even short story, like flash there it is and there its done.
David Self
Story about classic good/evil and fight your demons. I really like this author but felt his very short story was intended to be a longer piece that he just got tired of writing.
Samara Gagne
I think the idea of this short was cool, but I didn't like the follow through or character development. I think it would have been better set up as a novella.
Jacquel
It was good if you wanted a fast-paced action book that you can read in one sitting. But the one problem was that it could have been a bit longer.
Stephanie
this was a cool story i enjoyed the idea behind which makes me wish it was longer
Cheryl
Jun 15, 2011 Cheryl rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: free Kindle book
Interesting concept, full of action but a bit confusing.
Kadia
Beginning was good, but that was the only thing I liked.
Stephen
Wanted to like this book, but just couldn't finish it
Jasmine Catalan
I'm still confuse :| 'Twould have helped if it were longer.
Jenny  (hades2) (Chocolate Chunky Munkie)
DNF - could not get into this at all.
Sandra
Jun 21, 2011 Sandra marked it as to-read
Free on Amazon and Nook
Katherine Newman
Katherine Newman marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Cynthia Mueller
Cynthia Mueller marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Andrew Fielding
Andrew Fielding marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
  • The Opening
  • AngelFall Book I - A Novel of Hell (AngelFall #1)
  • Balance of Fate (Delver Magic, #3)
  • The Stolen Moon of Londor (The White Shadow Saga, #1)
  • The Walled Garden
  • The Black God’s War: A Novella Introducing a new Epic Fantasy
  • Spooks and Magic (Alana Weatherbee, #2)
  • Drinking with Dead Women Writers
  • The Bloodstone Oracle (The Dark Gifts, #2.5)
  • Bob Moore: No Hero  (Bob Moore, #1)
  • The Labyrinth
  • Mind Café
  • Demonsouled (Demonsouled, #1)
  • Looking For Ward
  • Shadow Unit 1
  • A Plunder by Pilgrims
  • The First Dragoneer (The Dragoneers Saga, #0)
  • Monster in the Mirror - A Short Story
Fantasy author Brian Rathbone
A former horse trainer and computer programmer, Brian Rathbone used his old world knowledge and love of fantasy fiction to create The World of Godsland fantasy series, which begins with The Dawning of Power trilogy.

The World of Godsland fantasy series includes:

Call of the Herald
Inherited Danger
Dragon Ore
Regent
Feral
Regal

More about Brian Rathbone...
Call of the Herald (The Dawning of Power, #1) Inherited Danger (The Dawning of Power, #2) Dragon Ore (The Dawning of Power, #3) Regent (The Balance of Power, #1; World of Godsland, #4) Feral