Start by marking “Henry Reed's Babysitting Service” as Want to Read:
Henry Reed's Babysitting Service

Henry Reed's Babysitting Service (Henry Reed #3)

Henry Reed has another sure-fire money-making plan--but the kids of Grover's Corner have plans of their own
An intelligent person like Henry should have no problem riding herd on the town's toddlers. But Henry's never tangled with such monsters as daredevil Danny, whose stunts keep Henry on his toes--when he's not ducking the toys Danny hurls at his head. There's also Bern
Published May 1st 1989 by Puffin Books (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Henry Reed's Babysitting Service, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry Reed's Babysitting Service

Emily of New Moon by L.M. MontgomeryGone-Away Lake by Elizabeth EnrightThe Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan AikenBallet Shoes by Noel StreatfeildThe Borrowers by Mary Norton
Forgotten Kids Books of Quality
49th out of 535 books — 200 voters
Penguins Stopped Play by Harry ThompsonThimble Summer by Elizabeth EnrightRamona's World by Beverly ClearyMatilda by Roald DahlThe Dalai Lama's Cat by David Michie
Cheerful Books For Gloomy Days
17th out of 41 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Jun 12, 2011 Shelley rated it really liked it
My mother's house is filled with young adult books from the '30s-60's. Sometime you need to read about a group of kids that mow the lawn and bbq in casual sport jackets.
Apr 03, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
This is another book I came across while unpacking a box of books just last night. I found a box of my children's novels that hadn't been appropriated by my mother, who was an elementary school teacher, for use in her classroom when I went away to college. I loved many of the books in this box dearly, from The Mad Scientist's Club to Harriet The Spy, and I'm thrilled to have my own old editions (mine were 1970s Yearling Editions and the price on the cover was $1.75), complete with a very seventi ...more
May 24, 2016 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A teacher introduced one of the offspring to the Henry Reed series by Keith Robertson. Why didn't I know him when growing up? Sweet, realistic fiction about everyday escapades -- in this case, two kids who run a babysitting service to earn summer money. Adventures such as getting splashed by the neighbor's sportscar, getting locked out of the house and having to shimmy up a tree, getting scared during a campout, having a five year old who hides from them.

Great read-alouds. Reminds me of Beverly
Shawn Thrasher
Oct 23, 2012 Shawn Thrasher rated it it was amazing
Pure nostalgia, in so many ways. This was a beloved book from my childhood, re-read many times. It holds up remarkably well. Of course, from the little red MG to the idea that boys and girls babysit (do they today?), this is definitely a child of the sixties (although not historical fiction!). But Robertson creates real, humorous characters that could live in any time period, especially his creation of twins Ruth and Johnny Sebastian. They are perfect foils for Henry Reed and his friend Midge: a ...more
Jun 23, 2016 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One extra star just for nostalgia.

It could be said that this mid-century children's book about summer in a small town is practically a how-to for starting your own business.

Henry Reed, entrepreneur, returns for another summer in the United States (his father is a diplomat) and settles back in to life in Grover's Corner, NJ. Whereas on his previous visit he started a research company, this time he surveys the local populace about what sort of service they might want done. At first disappointed
Aug 22, 2008 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone in 4th grade or above
Recommended to Chelsea by: my 4th grade teacher
This book is wonderful. I actually read this one first, not Henry Inc. (Which I also recomend) Although it's been more than 5 years since I read it, I still remember some of it. I really wish I could find it again. I just found out there are three more I haven't read, I really need to read them. If you find this book first consider yourself lucky, then Read it!
A Young Reader's Choice award winner from the 60's.... these always make me marvel at just how far the standards have come. Children's literature has made such amazing strides just in the last 20 years.

This one was quaint and funny, but it does drop the reader in, assuming you've read the previous books featuring these characters so I had a hard time getting into it at first.
Sep 16, 2013 Eyehavenofilter rated it really liked it
Baby sitting a 4 year old psycho- child should prepare one for anything but peacocks are nasty birds and are used for
The same purposes as pit bulls and dobermans. So unfortunately the 4 year old was a piece of cake compared to the peacock.... Henry found that out...real quick like! That's how they say it Downeast!
Apr 19, 2008 elissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 3rd-4th graders
I don't remember a whole lot about this one, just that I loved it when I was about 9, and that I saved it for my kids. I'm recommending it to my 10 year old for his summer reading list, before he gets too old for it.
Feb 24, 2013 Jeandana rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
I love how ingenious Midge and Henry are! they are wonderfully understandable characters, and I would love to meet them! The storyline was really good :) The little girl who stares and the teenage girl were two of my favorite side plots :) Great book :)!
Jul 14, 2016 Caleb rated it it was amazing
I liked it. Instead of having their research company as they did last year in Grover's Corner, Henry Reed sets up a babysitting service to earn money and it's really funny.
Jun 02, 2013 Kelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite reads as a pre-teen. I am enjoying it as much as I read it again in 2013. This is a fun book. Robert McCloskey's illustrations are classic!
Oct 25, 2009 Colin rated it liked it
More entertaining than the first one, nothing stellar though. Also, annoying anti-Native racism. This seems to be a feature of many children's books. Argh.
Jaren rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Joe Topham
Joe Topham rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2014
Farblade rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2012
Jacob Barker
Jacob Barker rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Robert Redden
Robert Redden rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2015
Kw rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2013
Theresa Sandifer
Theresa Sandifer rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Mickey rated it really liked it
May 19, 2008
Annie rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2009
Ryan rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Paula Astardjian
Paula Astardjian rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Klemense Loh
Klemense Loh rated it it was ok
Mar 01, 2012
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Harnoor rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Kisa rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2014
Tushant Pherwani
Tushant Pherwani rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Errika Jenkins
Errika Jenkins rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
  • Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price
  • The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg #4-6)
  • Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)
  • The Missing Persons League
  • Then There Were Five (The Melendy Family, #3)
  • The Trolley Car Family
  • The Secret Language
  • Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1-3)
  • Peril and Peace: Chronicles of the Ancient Church (History Lives #1)
  • Anne:The Green Gables complete Collection, #1-8
  • Pigs Might Fly
  • Tirzah
  • About the B'nai Bagels
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Disgusting Sneakers (Encyclopedia Brown, #18)
  • Ella of All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #5)
  • Katie John
  • The Twenty-four Days Before Christmas (Austin Family, #3)
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
Keith Robertson was born on May 9, 1914 in Dows, Iowa. He joined the Navy in 1931, and served as a radioman on a destroyer. Later, he attended the United States Naval Academy, graduating with a B.S. degree. He attributed his initial decision to study at the Academy to a "fanatical aversion to washing dishes." He said, "When I discovered that midshipmen at the United States Naval Academy did not wa ...more
More about Keith Robertson...

Henry Reed (5 books)