Henry Reed's Babysitting Service

Henry Reed's Babysitting Service (Henry Reed #3)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  320 ratings  ·  19 reviews
This account of Henry's baby-sitting summer begins with his first frantic encounter with a four-year-old monster named Danny, picks up steam as Henry becomes more and more involved, and ends with what is undoubtedly the only recorded case of peacock-sitting in history.
Published May 1st 1989 by Puffin (first published 1966)

Gone-Away Lake by Elizabeth EnrightThe Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan AikenEmily of New Moon by L.M. MontgomeryA Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-PorterBallet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild
Forgotten Kids Books of Quality
62nd out of 273 books — 88 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom StoppardTess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas HardySchindler's List by Thomas Keneally
Every T(h)om, Dick and Harry
130th out of 202 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Shelley
My mother's house is filled with young adult books from the '30s-60's. Sometime you need to read about a group of kids that mow the lawn and bbq in casual sport jackets.
Shawn Thrasher
Pure nostalgia, in so many ways. This was a beloved book from my childhood, re-read many times. It holds up remarkably well. Of course, from the little red MG to the idea that boys and girls babysit (do they today?), this is definitely a child of the sixties (although not historical fiction!). But Robertson creates real, humorous characters that could live in any time period, especially his creation of twins Ruth and Johnny Sebastian. They are perfect foils for Henry Reed and his friend Midge: a...more
Amy
This is another book I came across while unpacking a box of books just last night. I found a box of my children's novels that hadn't been appropriated by my mother, who was an elementary school teacher, for use in her classroom when I went away to college. I loved many of the books in this box dearly, from The Mad Scientist's Club to Harriet The Spy, and I'm thrilled to have my own old editions (mine were 1970s Yearling Editions and the price on the cover was $1.75), complete with a very seventi...more
Holly
A Young Reader's Choice award winner from the 60's.... these always make me marvel at just how far the standards have come. Children's literature has made such amazing strides just in the last 20 years.

This one was quaint and funny, but it does drop the reader in, assuming you've read the previous books featuring these characters so I had a hard time getting into it at first.
Chelsea
Aug 22, 2008 Chelsea rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone in 4th grade or above
Recommended to Chelsea by: my 4th grade teacher
This book is wonderful. I actually read this one first, not Henry Inc. (Which I also recomend) Although it's been more than 5 years since I read it, I still remember some of it. I really wish I could find it again. I just found out there are three more I haven't read, I really need to read them. If you find this book first consider yourself lucky, then Read it!
Amy Dillon
I just re-read this book. It's a really cute slice-of-life 60's story. What is a dairy bar, anyway?
Eyehavenofilter
Baby sitting a 4 year old psycho- child should prepare one for anything but peacocks are nasty birds and are used for
The same purposes as pit bulls and dobermans. So unfortunately the 4 year old was a piece of cake compared to the peacock.... Henry found that out...real quick like! That's how they say it Downeast!
Jeandana
I love how ingenious Midge and Henry are! they are wonderfully understandable characters, and I would love to meet them! The storyline was really good :) The little girl who stares and the teenage girl were two of my favorite side plots :) Great book :)!
elissa
Apr 19, 2008 elissa rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: 3rd-4th graders
I don't remember a whole lot about this one, just that I loved it when I was about 9, and that I saved it for my kids. I'm recommending it to my 10 year old for his summer reading list, before he gets too old for it.
Kelli
One of my favorite reads as a pre-teen. I am enjoying it as much as I read it again in 2013. This is a fun book. Robert McCloskey's illustrations are classic!
Colin
More entertaining than the first one, nothing stellar though. Also, annoying anti-Native racism. This seems to be a feature of many children's books. Argh.
Melissa
As a babysitting veteran, this book cracked me up. Not outstanding, but very, very enjoyable.
Tami

Second time I've read this little jewel of a a book. Henry Reed is a favorite of mine.
Fing Fong
I read the crap out of this series when I was a kid and loved it, and no, I am not a gay.
Makayka
i dont really know yet i jst started my book sooo...... hope it's great!!!:~}}
Evans Kids
Both D and C enjoyed this book, so keep the entire series in mind.
Susan Ose
One of my chidhood faves - freakin' hilarious.
Ariel
My second favorite and third in the series.
Mighel
Rachel
Rachel added it
Mar 24, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
  • Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price
  • Tumtum & Nutmeg: The Rose Cottage Tales (Tumtum and Nutmeg, #4-6)
  • Winona's Pony Cart
  • Pigs Might Fly
  • Return to Gone-Away (Gone-Away Lake, #2)
  • A Pair of Red Clogs
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • Storm in the Village (Chronicles of Fairacre, #3)
  • Story of Little Babaji
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Disgusting Sneakers (Encyclopedia Brown, #18)
  • The Case of the Halloween Ghost (Hank the Cowdog, #9)
  • Inside UFO 54-40 (Choose Your Own Adventure, #12)
  • No Coins, Please
  • Soup (Soup, #1)
  • Pretzel
  • Seabird
  • The Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientists' Club, #1)
  • The Great Brain at the Academy (Great Brain #4)
Keith Robertson was born on May 9, 1914 in Dows, Iowa. He joined the Navy in 1931, and served as a radioman on a destroyer. Later, he attended the United States Naval Academy, graduating with a B.S. degree. He attributed his initial decision to study at the Academy to a "fanatical aversion to washing dishes." He said, "When I discovered that midshipmen at the United States Naval Academy did not wa...more
More about Keith Robertson...
Henry Reed, Inc. Henry Reed's Journey Henry Reed's Big Show Henry Reed's Think Tank The Year of the Jeep