The New Rules of Lifting for ABS: A Myth-Busting Fitness Plan for Men and Women Who Want a Strong Core and a Pain-Free Back

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  20 reviews
An expert fitness team shares its cutting-edge program for achieving phenomenal abs-in just three hours a week.

In "The New Rules of Lifting for Abs," Schuler and Cosgrove deliver more than the standard bunches-of-crunches approach to abdominal training. Although building those ab muscles is important-no question-Schuler and Cosgrove also help you understand that doing so i...more
Published December 1st 2010 by Avery Publishing Group

Duffy Pratt
I've been doing workouts from the first book in this series (The New Rules of Lifting), and they''ve helped enormously. This book has updated materials, and its workouts are designed for functional movements, and not just for building size and strength. The variations that Cosgrove gives all target the core and supporting muscles at least as much, or more, than the main muscle groups that you would ordinarily associate with an exercise.

For example, with a traditional squat, you load up a barbel...more
Rori Rockman
I love Lou Schuler's writing. He's definitely knowledgeable, and I trust nearly everything he says, but he presents his information in a manner that's funny, light-hearted and incredibly engaging.

I already own The New Rules of Lifting and The New Rules of Lifting for Women, and when I discovered he had come out with a new book in the series it vaulted to the front of my to-read list.

This book does not disappoint, and to be honest, I had my doubts considering the title of the book. An entire boo...more
Leah Hortin
I think that this is Lou's best book yet in the NROL series. I have mass respect for a man that has little qualms about changing his ideas with the times. This book is a lot of common sense, backed up by a lot of science that is explained in laymen terms. Lou's voice is strong - witty, funny, smart, no-nonsense, informative, and endearing all at the same time.

The basics: stop doing crunches and ab work flat on your back - it damages your spine. Planks are the bomb, work up to dynamic core work...more
Darrell Reimer
I’ve purchased a number of books written by Lou Schuler, and have gleaned considerable insight from them (Men's Health Home Workout Bible: and Men's Health: Book of Muscle - The World's Most Complete Guide to Building Your Body are two of his very best; my wife and daughters use The New Rules of Lifting for Women). This is the first time I’ve been disappointed.

I’m nearly Schuler’s age, and a life-long lifter, so just about any variety on the usual push-pull workout motif is welcome. Schuler and...more
DW
This book is certainly a different way of looking at weight training than most material that is out there (no crunches, 50 variations of planks). I liked the humorous, easy-to-read writing style, and I was impressed that the authors were willing to contradict what they had written earlier, citing newer research.

I think this book has a good variety of exercises to prevent workouts from becoming boring, but at the same time the workouts are so complicated I would have to bring the book with me to...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
This is an a really good book. The first few chapters give an excellent description of the way spine works and the musculature around it. Lou Schuler has a really readable, relaxed style of writing. He packs a lot of info in without making it sound like a textbook. The surprising thing about the first few chapters is the information showing how just about all our muscles are part of the 'core'. Anything that attaches to the pelvis, spine, and shoulders!

The middle part of the book describes, in d...more
Barbara
The author(s) of this book have very strong views about the correct way to train for good health. A small problem is that I read an earlier book by them, New Rules of Lifting for Women, where their views where just a strongly held but the workouts had significant differences to the ones here. Admittedly, they do point out that exercise science has moved on since they wrote NROLW so their views have too. As I'm someone with a science background I should appreciate that they do update their views...more
Qi
In human life, aesthetics and functionality often collide with purposeful design or mere accident. In the popular practice of fitness, the actual appearance of "six-pack" and its varietals are as designed as the clothes on fashion runways. Gym rats work at it endlessly, no fitness magazine would sell without some naked midriff . It has long been the "it" item in the gym.

The author told us that the appearance does not matter, and the hard-work of achieving such designed appearance is largely irre...more
BooksAndTea
If you're familiar with the NROL system, this probably won't shock you too much. The authors discuss diet, exercise, rest. I must admit, I have mixed feelings about this book.

They mention they do not do back exercises because the back is worked on a daily basis when you hunch over, do your daily routine, etc. and that it's the abs that need work. I'm not sure I fully agree with this, having strained my back after lifting things that are too heavy or not warming up properly. But they do have some...more
Ellen
This program sounds great - the moves are periodized, with different levels of difficulty for everyone, and the nutrition just makes sense. You can do this program at whatever level you want, which makes it work for anyone. I'm so excited to start this next month.

I LOVED the fact that they advocate for doing daily activity and to join a sports team, if desired. I've been playing indoor soccer for the last five years and I cannot tell you how beneficial it has been to all facets of life, never mi...more
Melody
And the latest book from Schuler & Cosgrove is in, and it's a big departure from the earlier two. There's a lot more balance work here, and some repudiation of earlier wisdom (no crunches, not even one) and some reiteration of sensible advice.

Talks about all sorts of tiny little muscles involved in keeping a body upright, and how to maximize your chances of staying so. Nicely done, as one expects from this team.

I think it's too much for me just now, I want to stick with the original book for...more
Zelda
As usual, a good read from Schuler. In this update of the New Rules the focus turns to core strengthening and takes advantage of "the latest research". There is a lot of new information here and it is a fairly significant move from the monomaniacal focus on lifting of the previous books. I'm still working on the program from the New Rules of Lifting for Women but I will give this a whirl when I've finished just to keep things spicy.

The nutrition section doesn't really achieve anything new.
David
MROL 3.0. Made up for the lack of core fitness work in NROL. Lifted this program for a year. Again, got great results. Everybody needs more core strength and this is a path to that that also provides a whole body workout.
Amanda
I love, love, love Lou Schuler's advice and attitudes about fitness and nutrition. I also enjoy his writing style a lot. I absorbed this book in less than three days. I can't wait to try Alwyn's workout.
Morgan
This isn't a terrible workout or book, but I couldn't finish it. I was just bored out of my mind. I had to come back and revise my review. There are many better workouts on the market. Keep looking.
Jonathan
I thought this book had some very good information. I am looking forward to doing these workouts after my surgery and recovery. I will update the review after I've done some of the workouts.
Courtney
(4.5 stars) I much preferred this to the New Rules of Lifting for Women. The exercises were more in line with my goals, and I didn't find the writing as condescending.
Gerald Mathis
Easy to read and written for the beginner or seasoned lifter. Contains helpful workout programs. Provides a fresh perspective on fitness and lifting.
Kevin
This rating may change depending on whether or not I become Ryan Gosling.
Paul
My current workout plan.
Susan
Susan added it
Jul 18, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Mekye
Mekye marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Emily Sterling
Emily Sterling is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2014
The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle The New Rules of Lifting Supercharged: Ten All-New Muscle-Building Programs for Men and Women The New Rules of Lifting For Life: An All-New Muscle-Building, Fat-Blasting Plan for Men and Women Who Want to Ace Their Midlife Exams The Men's Health Home Workout Bible