Start by marking “Nightjack” as Want to Read:
Nightjack

Nightjack

Pace is released from a mental institution, only to be kidnapped by three other escapees, all suffering from multiple personality disorder. What ensues is a wild, surreal adventure leading finally to a Greek island, where everyone may wind up dead unless Pace willingly releases the darkest persona of all...Nightjack.
Published October 19th 2010 by David Niall Wilson (first published October 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Nightjack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightjack

Stephen
And then confusion set in…
Photobucket

This was fun, well-written and original, but I’m not sure how best to describe it. Was it (1) a tightly plotted, multi-layered exploration of multiple personality disorder within a violent noir setting whose brilliance was just beyond my grasp or (2) an adrenaline-based, thrill ride using the “gimmick” of a protag with MPD in a wild, unfocused tale in which the narrative got away from the author? I'm going to need another read in order to be make a final determination.
Bill
Nov 15, 2016 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really dig me some Piccrilli and this was one crazy flippin’ ride. I’m not exactly what the hell was going on here, but I liked it. It had tons of personality. Or personalities, rather. Multiple personalities.

"Hey, Will."

“My name isn't Will.”

“What is it then?”

“I don't know.”

This should have been a complete train wreck, but somehow Pic manages to keep this one going amongst all the different character personalities and violence and kept me completely engaged the whole way thru. I’d be lying if
Tim Niland
Apr 08, 2011 Tim Niland rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
Tom Piccrilli creates another masterful blend of horror and crime fiction in this excellent novella that explores the themes of identity, loss and rage. When William Pacella's wife is killed in a restaurant fire set by the mob to collect insurance money, Pacella snaps and falls into Multiple Personality Disorder, with the leading character becoming the narrator Pace, and his other "selves" including a private investigator Sam Smith and Nightjack: Jack the Ripper himself. After Pace/Jack dispatch ...more
Nick Cato
May 27, 2011 Nick Cato rated it really liked it
While Piccirilli has been pumping out the crime noir thrillers lately, this one blends bizarre elements not seen since his novel NOVEMBER MOURNS.

Pace is released from a mental institution only to be abducted by three of his former ward mates, who managed to escape the hospital right after something horrible happened to the daughter of wealthy industrialist Alexandra Kaltzas. All four of Piccirilli's characters suffer from Multiple Personality Disorder, and it's up to Pace to try and discover whi
Josh
Apr 28, 2011 Josh rated it liked it
Shelves: own, fantasy, kindle, read_2011
A surrealist novel by Tom Piccirilli with an emphasis on madness over meaning. ‘Nightjack’ follows the fragmented psyche of a disturbed and schizophrenic protagonist in Will (Pace, Jack, Sam etc.) as he tries to piece together the events that lead to his institutionalisation and subsequent release. Read in a perpetual state of haziness, the lines continually blurred between fact and fantasy as Will’s (and wards) sojourn towards a semblance of reality on a quest to quash pent up anger and those r ...more
Benoit Lelièvre
Aug 04, 2013 Benoit Lelièvre rated it really liked it
A live wire of a novel. Tom Piccirilli's tale of mental illness can get confusing at time, but it goes through great pains to expose how terrifying it can be to be lost inside your own head. Pace, our hero with dissociative identity disorder, understands himself to be part of something greater than what he can imagine and from the moment he gets kidnapped by three maniacs, two fights between. One outside of himself and one within.

NIGHTJACK should be a mandatory reading to everybody who wants to
Steven
I could give this a five-star review for execution, as Piccirilli completely delivered a narrative from inside the multiple-personality head, and in that regard it reminded me of the fascinating book The Minds of Billy Milligan. As impressive as the writing feat is, I just didn't enjoy reading this one.
Douglas Castagna
May 28, 2015 Douglas Castagna rated it liked it
Disjointed and surrealistic. There are too many little touche sand shifts that make it somewhat annoying to the reader. I wanted to put it down and almost did. Pace is a complicated man who has done some bad things for good reason and then checks himself into the loony bin. He has a myriad of disorders and they manifest themselves in some interesting ways. The story seemed showy and was not up to his normal cannon of work.
Alan Baxter
May 01, 2015 Alan Baxter rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, crime
This book is unlike anything I've ever read before. Honestly, I still have no idea quite what the fvck I just read. But it was brilliant, really. Beautiful, evocative writing and a truly mesmerising premise and execution. I will think on it further to see if can decide what actually happened. But I recommend it. It will be a new experience for you, I'm fairly sure of that.
Jess
Nov 10, 2013 Jess rated it liked it
I... I-I don't even really know what I just read. Pace is a person suffering from MPD (multiple personality disorder, Schizophrenia, crazy to the core). He is released from the mental institution where he resided as self admitted patient, only to be promptly sorta kidnapped by a bunch of other people suffering from MPD. So while Pace seems to be traveling with just 4 other people, in reality there are thousands of personalities swimming about in each of them.

It left me jarred at best, feeling se
Arthur
Apr 21, 2012 Arthur rated it really liked it
Quick paced but strange to begin with this book does surprise nicely as its planned out to climax to a strange conclusion. Well worth the read but hard to imagine why reading Nightjack was at all important. With all the excitement that goes around mostly surrounds Jack a modern day return of Jack the Ripper from the past a kind of reincarnation, it was hard to follow all the strangeness this invokes throughout the whole story and the other main characters that it was just hard to read like much ...more
Maduck831
Apr 30, 2012 Maduck831 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tom-piccirilli
I think I found out about this via a Neil Gaiman "tweet." I took my time with this one (it was my lunch time reading on my iphone via Kindle) not because I didn't enjoy it. So glad I discovered this book and author. Something about the story really got to me, just liked the way it was written along with the characters. I do I think want to revisit the story especially the discussion of the Greek myths, etc. Some great lines in this book too. It'd be cool to explore these characters again (especi ...more
Curtis Macon
May 07, 2012 Curtis Macon rated it really liked it
Great, mind-bending read. Would love to see this turned into a film...it'd be difficult but, if done right, would be phenomenal. I'm thinking Christian Bale for Pace...maybe Brad Anderson or Christopher Nolan to direct.
Charles
Dec 26, 2013 Charles rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-13
Multiple personalities tell this feverish story of murder, revenge and still more revenge. It might be easy to think your getting confused but you're just fooling yourself. It's easy enough to keep up with which is my complaint - it should have gone further, gotten wilder.

David
Jan 24, 2015 David rated it liked it
Highly bizarre and disorienting. Picorilli has a habit of creating these u usual situations and just throwing the reader into them unprepared.

It takes a little bit to get into the swing of things, but the challenges keep you on your toes.
K.E.
Jan 05, 2013 K.E. rated it liked it
See my full review on The Bag and The Crow: http://blog.thebagandthecrow.com/2013...
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Douglas Van Kleek
Douglas Van Kleek rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Brandon Nagel
Brandon Nagel rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2012
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Joshua Munson
Joshua Munson rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Amanda Kay
Amanda Kay rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2012
Shannon Sporleder
Shannon Sporleder rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2011
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2017
Chris Mccoy
Chris Mccoy rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2016
Jay
Jay rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2016
Fatman
Fatman rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Virginia
Virginia rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2013
Lor
Lor rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Crossroad Press: Still raising money for Tom 3 19 Apr 11, 2013 06:58AM
  • Dutch Uncle (Hard Case Crime #12)
  • Night Walker (Hard Case Crime #16)
  • Blood on the Mink
  • Witness to Myself (Hard Case Crime #19)
  • Say It With Bullets (Hard Case Crime #18)
  • Plunder of the Sun (Hard Case Crime #10)
  • Kiss Her Goodbye
  • Two for the Money (Hard Case Crime #5)
  • The Comedy is Finished (Hard Case Crime #105)
  • Branded Woman (Hard Case Crime #11)
  • The Confession (Hard Case Crime #6)
  • Beautiful, Naked & Dead