Start by marking “Jack and Jackie: Portrait of an American Marriage” as Want to Read:
Jack and Jackie: Portrait of an American Marriage

Jack and Jackie: Portrait of an American Marriage

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  383 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Theirs was one of the great love stories of our time. John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier captured the world's imagination as perhaps no other husband and wife in modern history have.International bestselling author Christopher Andersen examines their unique partnership and the courage, grace, and humor that defined it. Jack and Jackie is at once a portrait of a marriag ...more
Paperback, Large Print
Published December 1st 1997 by Thorndike Press (first published January 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Jack and Jackie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack and Jackie

Eileen
Nov 09, 2011 Eileen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've been totally amazed and absolutely godsmacked at the immoral behavior of not only Jack Kennedy but his father AND Jackie's father. If this is the kind of behavior our politicians and people of power have been wielding for centuries it's no wonder our nation's leaders are as corrupt as they are. You can't be doing admirable things when your moral compass is off between the sheets with the masses.
Gabrielle
Jack and Jackie: Portrait of an American Marriage is a book about the Kennedy marriage. It is a long read, but if you are fascinated by history or the Kennedys, it is a wonderful read. Andersen goes into great depth in telling the story of this incredible couple, but he does not glorify them. The book gives an honest portrayal of Jack and Jackie. Although I knew how the marriage would end (in JFK's assassination), I found myself wanting it to end differently and tremendously sad when JFK died. T ...more
Marie
Apr 27, 2016 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Astonishing! If this is true (and who knows?) it's amazing what "we" didn't know. But for all its revelations, that couple is still wonderful in my eyes, although now the silver is a bit tarnished.
Anne Fischer
Reads like a gossip magazine.
Elaine
This was a 3.5 star read. It was a very personal and intimate insight to one of the most famous couples of the 20th century. It was also quite confronting as to JFK's extensive womanising and also his very serious health issues. In spite of all his infidelities and all the other pressures faced by Jack and Jackie, especially their family tragedies, there was a genuine love and respect there. So in answer to my friend Kathryn's question...yes it was a kind of romance too.
Brittany
Jun 20, 2012 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing story of the lives of Jackie and John Kennedy. I enjoyed how the book contains pictures of events mentioned throughout the book. I never realized the unfortunate events the Kenndys experienced. Overall I thought this was a great book.
Katy
Jan 16, 2013 Katy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
About 3 stars - it was fascinating to read about their background and how they came together, personally and what they accomplished. I really enjoyed reading about Jackie's family history.

The pictures are a good touch, too
Pamela Keats
Jun 30, 2011 Pamela Keats rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I had no idea how much I'd enjoy this book. It is well written, and we are taken into the secret, personal lives of Jack Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier. I could not rave about this enough. A must read!
Bobbiann Markle
Very interesting account—I actually cried when it came to the assassination and subsequent events—but there is so much dirt in it. Perhaps it can't be helped, but I can't recommend it because of that.
Nancy
Interesting historical read. I learned things I didn't know
Beth Bedee
I went through a period of obsession over the Kennedy's. This was my first book during that phase. I found the information fascinating. I loved it.
Amanda
Apr 20, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
Really liked it actually. Drew a balanced picture of the Jack and Jackie Kennedy relationship yet told me things I didn't know yet.
Anna
From Mom and her obsession with the Kennedys, which has become nonexistent strangely considering last year.
Regina
Jun 11, 2013 Regina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love a good biography - and THIS is a good biography. I felt like a fly on the wall of the Kennedy home.
Karri Roling-wilson
a wonderful inside look at an American marriage full of infidelity, drugs, loss and most of all love
Lisa Neal
Jan 29, 2013 Lisa Neal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love to read about Camelot and the lives of JFK and Jackie, so if course I enjoyed this book. :)
Denise Lopez
Aug 08, 2007 Denise Lopez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Avid fan of Jackie O
Shelves: non-fiction
Jackie is a real lady and deserving to be an icon in whatever nationality...
Karen
Oct 13, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Kennedy's......just another book......
Kelsey Morris
Feb 07, 2014 Kelsey Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful
Jen Roe
Aug 06, 2011 Jen Roe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
beautiful book
Emily
Jul 27, 2009 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very intriguing...also very sad, but so honest.
Michelle Neville
insightful
Ashlee
Ashlee added it
Jun 25, 2016
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
LeAnn
LeAnn rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Johanna Miller
Johanna Miller marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
PATRICIA DUNN
PATRICIA DUNN marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Linda Fisher
Linda Fisher rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2016
  • Jack: A Life Like No Other
  • Sons of Camelot: The Fate of an American Dynasty
  • All Too Human the Love Story of Jack and Jackie Kennedy
  • Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: A Life
  • The Sins of the Father: Joseph P. Kennedy and the Dynasty He Founded
  • The Other Mrs. Kennedy: An intimate and revealing look at the hidden life of Ethel Skakel Kennedy
  • American Legacy: The Story of John and Caroline Kennedy
  • Jackie, Ethel, Joan: Women of Camelot
  • Dear Mrs. Kennedy: The World Shares Its Grief, Letters November 1963
  • Cary Grant: The Lonely Heart
  • Mrs. Kennedy: The Missing History of the Kennedy Years
  • A Lady, First: My Life in the Kennedy White House and the American Embassies of Paris and Rome
  • JFK: Reckless Youth
  • America's Queen: The Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • Grace and Power: The Private World of the Kennedy White House
  • What Jackie Taught Us: Lessons from the Remarkable Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • The Men We Became: My Friendship with John F. Kennedy, Jr.
  • Mr. Jefferson's Women

Christopher Peter Andersen is an American journalist and the author of 32 books, including many bestsellers. A graduate of the University of California at Berkeley, Andersen joined the staff of Time Magazine as a contributing editor in 1969. From 1974 to 1986 Andersen was senior editor of Time Incorporated's P
More about Christopher Andersen...