Start by marking “Baby Beluga” as Want to Read:
Baby Beluga

Baby Beluga

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,635 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
Raffi's signature song and the top seller in his Songs to Read series, Baby Beluga is now available in a quality board book edition perfect for his youngest fans.
Board Book, 32 pages
Published August 12th 1997 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Beluga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Beluga

❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
I LOVED Raffi as a kid (and as an adult as I introduced them to my kiddos). This book has wonderful illustrations to go along with one of Raffi's most loved songs.
Theo Girvan
Apr 30, 2015 Theo Girvan rated it really liked it
I really liked it.
Francesca Brilli
Nov 16, 2015 Francesca Brilli rated it it was amazing
Baby Beluga is about a little beluga whale with his mother swimming through the sea. The book is written to go along with the song, "Baby Beluga." The images appear to be watercolor. They show the whales moving across the pages, and across the ocean. The colors are light and provide a happy, upbeat, look and feel. The words go along exactly with the song, so the narrator is the children singing the song along with the book, which boosts the mood. Overall I really enjoyed the book, and it was one ...more
Allison
May 16, 2009 Allison rated it it was amazing
Don't call me stupid, this book is awesome
Erin
Baby Beluga is one of famed children’s singer/songwriter Raffi’s most beloved songs, and in this charmingly illustrated board book his song is brought to life for babies and toddlers. The story follows the “little white whale on the go” through lively illustrations that correspond perfectly with the original Baby Beluga song lyrics. Make note that if parents try reading this book without singing the song or knowing the correct tune, it does not flow right or sound very appealing read-aloud. For ...more
Jennifer Heise
Mar 04, 2014 Jennifer Heise rated it it was ok
Shelves: beekman
This book, full of cute belugas and other arctic creatures, and with the text of the Raffi song, drove me crazy. Much as I love love love belugas, a picture of the baby and mother belugas surrounded by 'friends' who are all predators who EAT belugas made me flinch every time we read it. My son liked it, but not excessively; we eventually gave it away. :) The pictures are adorable, the song is fine, but the complete disregard for ecology just was too much for me.
Kelly Powell
This book has a song that goes with the words in the book that I could use in my classroom by playing the song on my ukulele to involve the students in helping read the story. This book could be a part of cross content lessons and would be a fun way to for the students to be interactive in the class. There are many other ways to introduce this book in other content areas and that is always a plus when deciding on books to furnish my classroom library.
Monica
Mockingbird is a classic lullaby many children are familiar with. It is of a doting family and the gifts they bring for the child.

Written by Allan Ahlberg and illustrated by Paul Howard, this timeless lullaby is brought to life through playful lyrics and large captivating illustrations.

Grade Level: Pre-K-1st Grade
Classroom Uses: To inspire a class book, read aloud, close of day song,
Susan
Oct 25, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
How lovely to see Cavoukian's lyrics in storybook form. I could not, however, give five stars due to the illustrations. The page that talks/sings about dolphins has illustrations of orcas. I'm not sure what that is about but it was a bit jarring. Overall, however, the illustrations were really lovely; it is just a shame that they were so off on the cetaceans, especially as the book is about a whale.
Brianna
Feb 22, 2015 Brianna rated it it was amazing
This story always makes me sing! I love the singsong story, and the illustrations are so adorable! This is a song/story every child (in my opinion) should know and love! I am in love with this story and I would definitely use it if I were to teach younger children!
Hailey White
Feb 24, 2015 Hailey White rated it it was amazing
This book has been among our favorite top 5 board books for our wee ones. With baby #5 arriving soon I need to buy a new one, as our current copy is nearly in shreds from extreme use. The best way to enjoy this book is to sing it. Fantastic!
Kayla
Jan 28, 2015 Kayla rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I enjoyed reading this book. I really enjoyed how it incorporated a song with the book. If I were to read this book I would probably teach the children the song as well just for a fun activity.
Emily Taylor
Feb 13, 2014 Emily Taylor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-collection
Peritext:NA
Author: Raffi
Themes:Northern creatures
Text: Standard
Thoughts: Must be sung to students. Pictures could be used to discuss habitat of the beluga and the animals that might live there too.
Jen
Feb 02, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing
Admittedly I made up my own tune for parts of it. I hope they make a book called "The Corner Grocery Store." I would love to see some beans trying on some jeans ... at the store, at the store.
Maritza Mejia
Apr 19, 2016 Maritza Mejia rated it it was amazing
With watercolor illustrations, the story follows the white whale on the go with the original Baby Beluga song lyrics. I recommend this book for preschoolers and kindergarten.
Casandria
Mar 07, 2016 Casandria rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler, picture
A very friendly Baby Beluga has adventures. The illustrations are sweet and simple. But why, oh why, does Raffi have a banana on his shoulder in the picture on the front?!
Matt Anderson
Apr 03, 2015 Matt Anderson rated it liked it
If you like the song, "Baby Beluga," by Raffi, then you're sure to love this book because the lyrics of that song make up the entirety of the text of this book.
Melissa Frentsos
May 31, 2014 Melissa Frentsos rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The illustrations in this book are nice. The song is kinda cute (though I didn't really appreciate the song until after I finally actually listened to it on youtube.)
Megan Miller
Feb 08, 2015 Megan Miller rated it really liked it
This book would be could for younger children. The story is very simple but well written. THe pictures are beautiful, resembling watercolor.
Meagan Martin
Sep 21, 2009 Meagan Martin rated it it was amazing
The text in this book comes from the beloved children’s song “Baby Beluga” by Raffi. It tells the story of a baby beluga whale who lives in the water with his mother and his friends. The whale swims and plays, goes to bed, and then gets up to do it all over again. This was one of my favorite songs when I was little! My mom would sing this to me all the time and I got so excited when I found this book. This would be a great story to read with toddlers, because it is a song so it has rhythm and re ...more
Brenda
May 13, 2014 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Great little book, based on the Raffi song. I used to drive my kids to distraction singing this to them. Ha ha. Great illustrations too.
Cara Byrne
Sep 08, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it really liked it
Nice illustrations of animals and those who live near them in this board book based on a popular Raffi song.
Brianna
Oct 31, 2014 Brianna rated it it was amazing
The perfect book to sing & read to little ones. My son really responded to this book as early as 6 weeks old.
Hollee Young
Jan 31, 2015 Hollee Young rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Great book! Love the song that goes with it! Could help the children remember the story.
michael
Dec 02, 2015 michael rated it it was amazing
Two very enthusiastic thumbs up. Fun for the whole family.
Mia McInnis
Aug 28, 2015 Mia McInnis rated it really liked it
One of my favourite songs from childhood put to book form.
Holly
Jun 04, 2015 Holly added it
We read/sing it every day!!! A fav from my childhood!
Prince William Public Library System
This Raffi classic is the perfect sing-a-long book for the little ones. My son really responded to this book and the song as early as 6-weeks-old! Find Raffi singing Baby Beluga on Youtube if you need to learn the tune. A great book to read/sing to infants and toddlers alike.
-Brianna F.

Click here to find the book at the Prince William County Public Library System.

Robbie S.
I like that little white doggie in the deep blue sea!
Jamie Tedesco
Jan 27, 2014 Jamie Tedesco rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Really cute song-story involving the life if a whale. The rhyming and daily routines really give the children something to enjoy and relate to.
  • This Little Chick
  • Hands Can
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Global Babies
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?
  • Who Took the Farmer's Hat?
  • Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree