Baby Beluga

Baby Beluga

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  822 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Raffi's signature song and the top seller in his Songs to Read series, Baby Beluga is now available in a quality board book edition perfect for his youngest fans.
Board Book, 32 pages
Published August 12th 1997 by Crown Books for Young Readers (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Beluga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Beluga

Allison
Don't call me stupid, this book is awesome
Erin
Baby Beluga is one of famed children’s singer/songwriter Raffi’s most beloved songs, and in this charmingly illustrated board book his song is brought to life for babies and toddlers. The story follows the “little white whale on the go” through lively illustrations that correspond perfectly with the original Baby Beluga song lyrics. Make note that if parents try reading this book without singing the song or knowing the correct tune, it does not flow right or sound very appealing read-aloud. For...more
Bunnyjadwiga
This book, full of cute belugas and other arctic creatures, and with the text of the Raffi song, drove me crazy. Much as I love love love belugas, a picture of the baby and mother belugas surrounded by 'friends' who are all predators who EAT belugas made me flinch every time we read it. My son liked it, but not excessively; we eventually gave it away. :) The pictures are adorable, the song is fine, but the complete disregard for ecology just was too much for me.
Emily Taylor
Peritext:NA
Author: Raffi
Themes:Northern creatures
Text: Standard
Thoughts: Must be sung to students. Pictures could be used to discuss habitat of the beluga and the animals that might live there too.
Melissa Frentsos
The illustrations in this book are nice. The song is kinda cute (though I didn't really appreciate the song until after I finally actually listened to it on youtube.)
Ecl  Storytellers
Singing this song using the book ENTRANCED the kids in Tales for Tots. They were completely absorbed--even though the book is absurdly small for reading to a group.
Meagan Martin
The text in this book comes from the beloved children’s song “Baby Beluga” by Raffi. It tells the story of a baby beluga whale who lives in the water with his mother and his friends. The whale swims and plays, goes to bed, and then gets up to do it all over again. This was one of my favorite songs when I was little! My mom would sing this to me all the time and I got so excited when I found this book. This would be a great story to read with toddlers, because it is a song so it has rhythm and re...more
Brenda
Great little book, based on the Raffi song. I used to drive my kids to distraction singing this to them. Ha ha. Great illustrations too.
Jamie Tedesco
Really cute song-story involving the life if a whale. The rhyming and daily routines really give the children something to enjoy and relate to.
Ashley Stone
This book is all about the life and surroundings of a whale. It’s commonly used with a song that may or may not be appropriate for a toddler. I think I was in Kindergarten when I learned this song as a kid. But the story itself would be beneficial for a toddler. The pictures are amazing in this book and even if the child doesn’t want to learn the song, it would still be fun for the adult to sing. Possible themes would be something involving the ocean or the ocean animals.
Columbus
I read this to a 7-month old and he enjoyed it. I think he liked the illustrations more than anything to be honest -the whales , bears and dolphins in the book are rather large and bright and infants are attracted to that. I didn't realize this was a song by Raffi until I read one of the reviews in GR. I found a video of it on YouTube and now I can't get it out of my head. ~~baby beluga in the deep blue sea, swim so wild and you swim so free....~~
Brandi
The popular Raffi song about a beluga whale as a boardbook.
Teri
My sister bought this book for my baby. Couldn't resist as it took us back to our childhood. My little lady loves when I sing this book to her. She equally likes to nibble on the pages. Yay for board books that can handle some goobers from babes. Love the colours and artwork that goes with the good ol tune! 5 stars for all around good memories passed down another generation.
Kimbely Fletcher
This is a great book about a baby baluga that travels through the cean with his mother. He meets other arctic animals along his way. This book shows children the connection these animals have with their mommy and daddy. I would used this book to not only teach about different ocean animals, but also to teach about the relationship between a mother and baby.
Abby Brown
in the end of this intense book, little baby beluga surprises me. he really shows others the importance of not giving up on your dreams. i strongly recommend this book to others who have such a passion for diffucult books such as this, I do. My life plan is traveling to the ocean and someday meet baby beluga so we can discuss our inspiration on perserverence.
Jordan Tankersley
As a child I always loved this book because it was a song as well. Now, after reading this book again I still love it! The song is easy to sing along to and the illustrations are great. Although it seems to be targeted as a song to sing to toddlers or babies, I think it's still a great elementary classroom book for any age. This will forever be one of my favorites.
Brenda
This was the book that sparked my interest in whales and eventually my educational choice to become a marine biologist. This is such a lovely book and you will never forget the song! I was so sad when I read recently about the actual Beluga whale that inspired the book passing away. I think all children should read this book or have this book read to them.
Tracy
(Age 1) He didn't love this book with quite the same intensity as some of the others, but he enjoyed it a lot and consistently chose it. Unprompted he would kiss the seal in the book - I think b/c it was when Spinx was still alive and the seal whiskers looked like cat whiskers (and we would frequently have him give Spinx a kiss goodnight).
Emilee
Sep 14, 2009 Emilee added it
The author of this book also writes songs to go along with his books. The song goes “Baby Beluga in the deep blue sea swim so wild and you swim so free.” Some might be familiar with it! This book is neat because of the rhyming pages, and the song that is created throughout the book. The illustrations are great too!
Arnold
This is a great book (and song) but the illustrations are not vibrant enough and the composition of each page is not distinct enough to communicate to a little baby that I'm actually picking up words from a page to create a verbal description of the pictures.
Joanna
My son loves Baby Beluga. He will listen even when I sing and that is truly amazing. I do recommend having the CD as a companion to the book. Raffi comes with us on every road trip. Baby Beluga works like a magic tonic to calm Salo in the car.
Sylvester
4* art
10* song

This one has the added bonus of being a favorite song to sing to the first Squirt - so, wonderful memories. And our beloved Raffi - all Canadian children have a place in their hearts just for him.
Robin Rousu
A favorite for infants through toddlers, even early preschoolers. Realistic illustrations of friendly arctic animals combined with one of the best children's songs. Can read repeatedly without loss of sanity.
Ellen
Way back when I taught kindergarten music, this book was an absolute favorite that was requested every time I taught class. And, I really never got tired of singing it over and over again.
Melissa Housholder
Great book to sing with students during a read aloud. It is honestly impossible not to sing it. Great storyline about a baby Beluga and what the baby Beluga does. Fantastic illustrations as well.
Karen
a very sweet and light hearted read and my baby loves it. So much, we have bought the CD (the book is actually the words to a song) and he loves listening to the CD as well.
Mary
My grand-babies LOVE this one, so of COURSE it's fun to read (not to mention it tastes good & is nearly indestructible) ... tough to get that song out of my head though ...
Dolly
Mar 08, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We have been singing Baby Beluga to (and now with) our girls since they were born. This is a fun board book that has great illustrations to go with the song lyrics.
Jenna
This was one of my absolute favorite songs as a child. This book has great illustration, and it coincides with the song perfectly!
Haley Ellis
This book is so cute, as well as the song itself. I read this with my three year old cousin. He loves Beluga's!! :] Very cute book. < 3
  • Down by the Station
  • The Lady with the Alligator Purse
  • I Like It When . . .
  • 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo
  • Horns to Toes
  • What Shall We Do With The Boo Hoo Baby?
  • I Like Me!
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • Three Little Kittens
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Trashy Town
Wheels on the Bus Down by the Bay Five Little Ducks Shake My Sillies Out Spider on the Floor