Start by marking “Baby Beluga” as Want to Read:
Baby Beluga

Baby Beluga

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  1,213 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Raffi's signature song and the top seller in his Songs to Read series, Baby Beluga is now available in a quality board book edition perfect for his youngest fans.
Board Book, 32 pages
Published August 12th 1997 by Crown Books for Young Readers (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Beluga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Beluga

Aimee ❀just one more page...❀
I LOVED Raffi as a kid (and as an adult as I introduced them to my kiddos). This book has wonderful illustrations to go along with one of Raffi's most loved songs.
Theo Girvan
I really liked it.
Prince William Public Library System
This Raffi classic is the perfect sing-a-long book for the little ones. My son really responded to this book and the song as early as 6-weeks-old! Find Raffi singing Baby Beluga on Youtube if you need to learn the tune. A great book to read/sing to infants and toddlers alike.
-Brianna F.

Click the link to find the book and check availability at the Prince William Public Library System:

Allison
Don't call me stupid, this book is awesome
Erin
Baby Beluga is one of famed children’s singer/songwriter Raffi’s most beloved songs, and in this charmingly illustrated board book his song is brought to life for babies and toddlers. The story follows the “little white whale on the go” through lively illustrations that correspond perfectly with the original Baby Beluga song lyrics. Make note that if parents try reading this book without singing the song or knowing the correct tune, it does not flow right or sound very appealing read-aloud. For ...more
Bunnyjadwiga
This book, full of cute belugas and other arctic creatures, and with the text of the Raffi song, drove me crazy. Much as I love love love belugas, a picture of the baby and mother belugas surrounded by 'friends' who are all predators who EAT belugas made me flinch every time we read it. My son liked it, but not excessively; we eventually gave it away. :) The pictures are adorable, the song is fine, but the complete disregard for ecology just was too much for me.
Kelly Tisdale
This book has a song that goes with the words in the book that I could use in my classroom by playing the song on my ukulele to involve the students in helping read the story. This book could be a part of cross content lessons and would be a fun way to for the students to be interactive in the class. There are many other ways to introduce this book in other content areas and that is always a plus when deciding on books to furnish my classroom library.
Brianna
This story always makes me sing! I love the singsong story, and the illustrations are so adorable! This is a song/story every child (in my opinion) should know and love! I am in love with this story and I would definitely use it if I were to teach younger children!
Hailey White
This book has been among our favorite top 5 board books for our wee ones. With baby #5 arriving soon I need to buy a new one, as our current copy is nearly in shreds from extreme use. The best way to enjoy this book is to sing it. Fantastic!
Kayla
I enjoyed reading this book. I really enjoyed how it incorporated a song with the book. If I were to read this book I would probably teach the children the song as well just for a fun activity.
Emily Taylor
Peritext:NA
Author: Raffi
Themes:Northern creatures
Text: Standard
Thoughts: Must be sung to students. Pictures could be used to discuss habitat of the beluga and the animals that might live there too.
Matt Anderson
If you like the song, "Baby Beluga," by Raffi, then you're sure to love this book because the lyrics of that song make up the entirety of the text of this book.
Melissa Frentsos
The illustrations in this book are nice. The song is kinda cute (though I didn't really appreciate the song until after I finally actually listened to it on youtube.)
Megan Miller
This book would be could for younger children. The story is very simple but well written. THe pictures are beautiful, resembling watercolor.
Meagan Martin
The text in this book comes from the beloved children’s song “Baby Beluga” by Raffi. It tells the story of a baby beluga whale who lives in the water with his mother and his friends. The whale swims and plays, goes to bed, and then gets up to do it all over again. This was one of my favorite songs when I was little! My mom would sing this to me all the time and I got so excited when I found this book. This would be a great story to read with toddlers, because it is a song so it has rhythm and re ...more
Brenda
Great little book, based on the Raffi song. I used to drive my kids to distraction singing this to them. Ha ha. Great illustrations too.
Brianna
The perfect book to sing & read to little ones. My son really responded to this book as early as 6 weeks old.
Hollee Young
Great book! Love the song that goes with it! Could help the children remember the story.
Robbie S.
I like that little white doggie in the deep blue sea!
Jesse
A great companion to the song! Super cute artwork.
Jamie Tedesco
Really cute song-story involving the life if a whale. The rhyming and daily routines really give the children something to enjoy and relate to.
Julie
A beautiful story of animals in the ocean.
Ashley Stone
This book is all about the life and surroundings of a whale. It’s commonly used with a song that may or may not be appropriate for a toddler. I think I was in Kindergarten when I learned this song as a kid. But the story itself would be beneficial for a toddler. The pictures are amazing in this book and even if the child doesn’t want to learn the song, it would still be fun for the adult to sing. Possible themes would be something involving the ocean or the ocean animals.
Columbus
I read this to a 7-month old and he enjoyed it. I think he liked the illustrations more than anything to be honest -the whales , bears and dolphins in the book are rather large and bright and infants are attracted to that. I didn't realize this was a song by Raffi until I read one of the reviews in GR. I found a video of it on YouTube and now I can't get it out of my head. ~~baby beluga in the deep blue sea, swim so wild and you swim so free....~~
Brandi
The popular Raffi song about a beluga whale as a boardbook.
Teri
My sister bought this book for my baby. Couldn't resist as it took us back to our childhood. My little lady loves when I sing this book to her. She equally likes to nibble on the pages. Yay for board books that can handle some goobers from babes. Love the colours and artwork that goes with the good ol tune! 5 stars for all around good memories passed down another generation.
Kimbely Fletcher
This is a great book about a baby baluga that travels through the cean with his mother. He meets other arctic animals along his way. This book shows children the connection these animals have with their mommy and daddy. I would used this book to not only teach about different ocean animals, but also to teach about the relationship between a mother and baby.
Abby Brown
in the end of this intense book, little baby beluga surprises me. he really shows others the importance of not giving up on your dreams. i strongly recommend this book to others who have such a passion for diffucult books such as this, I do. My life plan is traveling to the ocean and someday meet baby beluga so we can discuss our inspiration on perserverence.
Jordan Tankersley
As a child I always loved this book because it was a song as well. Now, after reading this book again I still love it! The song is easy to sing along to and the illustrations are great. Although it seems to be targeted as a song to sing to toddlers or babies, I think it's still a great elementary classroom book for any age. This will forever be one of my favorites.
Brenda
This was the book that sparked my interest in whales and eventually my educational choice to become a marine biologist. This is such a lovely book and you will never forget the song! I was so sad when I read recently about the actual Beluga whale that inspired the book passing away. I think all children should read this book or have this book read to them.
  • Down by the Station
  • This Little Chick
  • Global Babies
  • Three Little Kittens
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • Yummy Yucky
  • Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Creature ABC
  • I Like It When . . .
  • My Car
  • Who Took the Farmer's Hat?
  • The Itsy Bitsy Spider
  • The Eensy-Weensy Spider
  • I Like Me!
  • Hush Little Baby
  • The Way I Feel
  • Little Gorilla
Wheels on the Bus Down by the Bay Five Little Ducks Shake My Sillies Out Spider on the Floor