Start by marking “The Lion's Whiskers: An Ethiopian Folktale” as Want to Read:
The Lion's Whiskers: An Ethiopian Folktale

The Lion's Whiskers: An Ethiopian Folktale

Bold collages by a Caldecott Honor-winning artist illuminate a compelling Ethiopian folktale with a positive message about step-parenting. In this lively tale, a woman must pluck three whiskers from a fierce lion's chin in order to win her stepson's trust. Full color.
Published April 1st 1995 by Scholastic

Katelyn Bognatz
Title: The Lion’s Whiskers: An Ethiopian Folklore

Author: Nancy Raines Day

Illustrator: Ann Grifalconi

Genre: Non-European Folklore

Theme(s): Africa, Magic, Step-mother, Death, Yearning, Relationships

Opening line/sentence: Once there was a woman named Fanaye, who lived high in the Ethiopia’s mountains.

Brief Book Summary: In this tale from the Amhara people of Ethiopia, a patient woman uses her experience with a wild lion to win the love of her new stepson.

Professional Recommendation/Review #1: A lo
Yana D.
Feb 28, 2017 Yana D. rated it it was amazing
How wonderful to read a story about a stepmother who actually loves her step child! This book would make a great addition to a biblio-therapy list for children who are having a hard time adjusting to life with a step parent - that is a step parents who truly loves and cares for the child.
Tara Gale
Jan 15, 2012 Tara Gale rated it really liked it
I really liked and connected with this book for a majority of reasons. One bing it is set in Ethopia. I personaly have put a trip to Afirca to do humanity work and go on a " safari " on my bucket. Therefore anything to do with afica really intrest me. Also this floktale has a feel good warm and fuzzy ending which, being human, I prefer. I enjoyed reading this book and found it's moral very fitting for real life situations. I am not the biggest fan of the illistartions but i do dismiss this becau ...more
Nichole Sedler
Dec 04, 2007 Nichole Sedler added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4th-7th
Shelves: folklore

Written by Brent K. Ashabranner, illustrated by Helen Siegl, published by Linnet Books, 1997.

Summary: A collections of Ethiopian regional folktales about love, honor, courage and wisdom.

Response: Beautiful woodcut illustrations perfect for young readers. Its interesting how folktales from other countries can resemble so many of our own in the U.S. I think it would be great for highlighting the similarities and differences between our culture and African culture.

Possible Units: Character Educat
Shanna
Oct 12, 2007 Shanna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades 2-4
An engaging story with morality lesson, The Lions Whiskers, is a tale about a step mother who is having trouble connecting with her step child. She is told that she should handle the situation by taking whiskers from a lion. This story would be a good one for students who are going through the same situation. It might give them insight as to how their step parent is feeling. Good to use for character education and patience.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I love this folktale about a woman who learns to cultivate the patience it will take to win over her new stepson. I've read this story in several places, but this is my favorite telling of it.
Shelley B.
Good for all ages
Natalie
Dec 03, 2008 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I loved this traditional tale.
meg
May 25, 2007 meg rated it it was amazing
a beautifully spun tale about a good stepmother. (it's too bad they don't show the cover, because the collage art is stunning too...)
Andrea
Jan 12, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it
What would you do to gain the trust of a step child? Relevant even today.
Rita
Rita rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2008
Jessi
Jessi rated it it was ok
Oct 22, 2011
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2011
Gabe
Gabe rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2012
Edmar Louie
Edmar Louie rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2014
Claire
Claire rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2012
Noelle
Noelle rated it liked it
May 24, 2013
Chloe
Chloe rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2017
Brittany Gaume
Brittany Gaume rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2011
Bryer Elmore
Bryer Elmore rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2012
C.M
C.M rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2012
Scooping it Up
Scooping it Up rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Addisu
Addisu rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2012
Pierrepaolo Nofies
Pierrepaolo Nofies rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2011
Jenica
Jenica rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2013
Rachel S
Rachel S rated it it was ok
Aug 27, 2013
George
What a wonderful story!
Nancy Raines Day is the author of nine picture books. Her most recent are What in the World? Numbers in Nature, Way Down Below Deep,A is for Alliguitar: Musical Alphabeasts, and On a Windy Night. Her first children's book, The Lion's Whiskers: An Ethiopian Folktale, was a New York Times notable book of the year. She earned a BA in journalism from the University of Michigan and an MA in literacy jo ...more
More about Nancy Raines Day...