Start by marking “Rewired: The Post-Cyberpunk Anthology” as Want to Read:
Rewired: The Post-Cyberpunk Anthology
Preview

Rewired: The Post-Cyberpunk Anthology

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  467 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Following the rapid evolution of cyberpunk from Bruce Sterling and William Gibson into the current millennium, this vivid anthology welcomes a new generation of exciting writers to take the genre in new and unexpected directions. Cyberpunk freewheels with punk rock energy, careening between the internet, bioengineering, and international politics, its influence saturating ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Tachyon Publications

To ask other readers questions about Rewired, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rewired

Brainycat
Jul 17, 2010 Brainycat rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of cyberpunk and fictionalized social critique
This anthology is put together by James Patrick Kelly and John Kessel. Sadly, I cannot recall reading any of their work but I shall endeavor to remedy that situation shortly.

The introduction is very well done, in that "let's spend a lot of time trying to define common definitions so we can disagree about nuance" sort of way. I got a feeling they were desperately casting around for a singularity (a recurrent theme in the collection) to define a point in SF history where cyberpunk (CP) gave up the
Alan
Mar 28, 2011 Alan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Edge cases
Recommended to Alan by: Its Table of Contents
I am impatient with movements and manifestoes, even when they seem to make sense. So ignore the bombastic subtitle of this anthology; ignore the assertions about cyberpunk and about its anointed successor, as laid out here... and just look at the list of authors included. Every single one is a powerhouse of recent SF. Every single story in this book is powerful, both as extrapolation (even when fanciful or inaccurate) and as literature. Some, like Bruce Sterling's "Bicycle Repairman," Charles St ...more
Keri
Kelly and Kessel share the wave of writers styled after the fabled Cyberpunk era, labeling them Post-Cyberpunk. The stories in here are from some of the original members (Gibson, Sterling) as well as some new faces. Added on (as a bonus!) is the correspondence between Bruce Sterling and John Kessel about the very idea of Cyberpunk.

As for the stories, I enjoyed many of them, especially Sterling's "Bicycle Repairman" where the dark ninja is beaten by a repairman. Or "Lobsters" by Charles Stross, w
Tarfein
Jak ohodnotit celkově povídkovou sbírku? Jedině snad povídku po povídce.

Z celého sborníku se mi nejvíc líbil "Opravář kol" a "Haf haf, řekl pes", možná pro jejich humor, a "Jejuka" a "Kalorik", možná pro svůj alespoň trochu optimistický konec. Nejsem přesvědčený, že by kyberpunk musel nezbytně končit vždy negativně, přesto jsme v Singularitě svědky především toho. Zejména "Svatební album", jakkoliv může pro protagonisty končit příznivě, na mě zanechalo hlubokou stopu. Hodně dalších povídek je sp
Michael Burnam-fink
Rewired is a self-conscious anthology of early 21st century science fiction. Kelly and Kessel want to put the very best stories on display-and they succeed with 16 excellent stories including pioneers like Gibson, Sterling, and Cadigan, and rising talents like Stross and Bacigalupi. The stories are all smart, provocative, well written. Virtual realities dominate as a technological theme, but the personal moves are way more diverse, and the stories that get away from computers are all the better ...more
David
I'm giving this book four stars just because of some true gems contained within it, even though I was thinking of giving it just three stars. I just decided to focus on the positive and what I liked about it.

First of all, I have to say that the book really started for me in the sixth tale, "Thirteen Views Of a Cardboard City" by William Gibson, something really unique, like clinical descriptions of post-modern still life cityscapes, without characters, just objects -- it's something you need to
Planet of the Books www.planetofthebooks.com
What is cyberpunk? Is it a pseudo-movement populated solely by the work of William Gibson? Or perhaps it is the broad shift in sci-fi consciousness that ultimately gave birth to everything from Blade Runner and the Matrix to Akira and Ghost in the Shell? Irregardless of the academic debate over the role and reality of the cyberpunk movement, cyberpunk is established in the popular mind as the change in science fiction to a darker, more uncertain future populated by social outcasts living in grit ...more
Dana
Having now read both the steampunk and post-cyberpunk anthologies by this publisher, I have to say that I am definitely more of a PCP fan. Aside from enjoying the stories in this anthology more, I also really liked the excerpts of the Sterling-Kessel "state of cyberpunk" letter series that were incorporated throughout. I very much admit to being a nerd, but I liked those explanatory aspects by the editors of both anthologies that tried to give the reader some understanding of the development of ...more
Carlos
Rewired is a collection on stories, chosen by the editors for their representativeness of the post-cyberpunk genre. This is interspersed by comment and extracts of a long correspondence between Kessel (one of the editors) and Bruce Sterling. In this sense, it is as much a fun collection as it is a textbook for students of modern science fiction.

All the talk of onthology (which I like) takes nothing from the pleasure of reading the actual stories. There are some real gems here - Sterling's "Bicyc
K. Axel
I have yet to read all the stories in this book, but I'll try to review them as I read them. Also, this anthology includes a discussion of cyberpunk between Bruce Sterling and the editor, John Kessel.

Bicycle Repairman by Bruce Sterling. This story features an ordinary bicycle... repairman, obviously. His life is boring to say the least, but then he receives a package one day, a package meant for an old friend of his. This start off events that end up changing Lyle's life. Not the best story, a l
Modi123
Over all I wasn't impressed by the collection of stories presented. I found the thesis interesting in that it was trying to create this 'post cyberpunk' divide, but honestly the collection could have been just labeled generic scifi. I do not believe I am sold on this new sub-genre scheme, but, if I was, I may have found a better connection or thread through all the tales.

Stross's "Lobersters" and Doctorow's "When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth" stand out as notably solid stories; the former I read b
Jim O'Loughlin
This is a really helpful overview of a lot of contemporary SF writers (though post-cyberpunk is kind of a ridiculous term to be using). It was an anthology, so you have to expect the stories will range from the amazing to the lame. Some of the best stories were frontloaded in the collection (Jonathan Lethem, Gwyneth Jones, Greg Egan) but don't miss the one by Paolo Bacigalupi, "The Calorie Man." That was good enough that I started reading his novel, The Windup Girl.
George
I'm halfway through this book & unfortunately it doesn't seem to live up to its potential. I've been distracted by The Tales of Dying Earth - and I think I'll take a break from Rewired for a while. Maybe I can generate some enthusiasm for it after a short separation. UPDATE: I tried to re-start today (January 28th, 2009, but couldn't. This book just doesn't do it for me. I'll put it back on the shelf and give it another try when I run out of things to read.
Devin
This collection of "Post-Cyberpunk Stories" is a bit of a mixed bag. Some excellent story telling mixed in with some painfully dated writing. It doesn't have the same spark that made _Mirrorshades_ such a compelling read back when Cyberpunk was just emerging as a movement. But the good stories in this collection are enough to make one glad that there are serious writers that have given the genre a much needed dose of maturity.
Annalise
Jan 23, 2013 Annalise is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Bruce Sterling, "The Bicycle Repairman": I don't know which is worse, his characterization or his dialogue, but they're both symptoms of each other. ("HI I LIKE BIKES OH AND BY THE WAY HAVE SOME EXPOSITION!") It's made me appreciate Gibson's hand in The Difference Engine all the more (not to say that I liked the book, but now I realize how much worse it could have been).
Renato Besen
Compilação de estórias do movimento "pós cyberpunk". Algumas bem interessantes :)

Minhas preferidas:
* "The Final Remake of The Return of Little Latin Larry with a Completely Remastered Soundtrack and the Original Audience" (Pat Cadigan)
* Thirteen Views of a Cardboard City (William Gibson)
* The Wedding Album (David Marusek)
Alethea
As with most anthologies, this is a mix of stories I rather enjoyed (Daddy's World), so-so stories (The Dog Said Bow-Wow) stories I'd read before and didn't like any better this time around (The Wedding Album), and the obligatory WTF/ugh (amusingly, this time by William Gibson, progenitor of Cyberpunk.)
Alex
A good collection of post-cyberpunk short stories by some of the most recognized authors in that genre. The stories cover a pretty wide range of CP topics and considering that they were written during the tech/internet boom era a lot of these stories come across as even more relevant and meaningful.
Doug
Pretty good compilation of new and old sci-fi. The letters to and from the editors to various authors (mainly Bruce Sterling) are an interesting snapshot of the development of modern technological sci-fi. But the little introductions to each story by the editors is needless and patronizing.
Steve Luttrell
No bad stories in the bunch. The best: "The Calorie Man," by Paolo Bachigalupi, on why converting the midwest to ethanol production would be a bad thing. The phrase "calories to joules" will stick with you for weeks (especially if you're odd, like me).
Larry Kenney
As typical of a lot of anthologies, I found this to be hot and cold. I either loved the story, or didn't care for it at all. The editorials about cyberpunk and post cyberpunk were interesting and informative, and I liked the excerpts from the correspondence.
Lyn
Several quite-good stories and a few non-starters in this anthology. I'm still not quite sure I follow the distinction of "post" in post-cyberpunk, but my favorites were from Cory Doctorow, Mary Rosenblum, Christopher Rowe, Charles Stross, and Bruce Sterling.
Ray Charbonneau
A solid collection of stories from Cyberpunk-era writers who, for the most part, have gotten more skilled. The younger writers are equally talented. The only disappointment was the William Gibson story, but I was never his biggest fan.
Tim Fiester
An amazing collection of contemporary SF authors exploring post-cyberpunk, which is more upbeat and more biological in many ways. This book introduced me to authors such as Paolo Bacigalupi, David Marusek and Michael Swanwick.
Florin Pitea
An excellent anthology of post-cyberpunk fiction, with many stories well worth re-reading. For a detailed review, please visit my blog at: http://tesatorul.blogspot.ro/2008/07/...
Beau Raines
Good anthology, with varied story types. Some of them were really good and some were meh. And only one of them (one of the good ones) I had read in another book.
Mark Henderson
I've always been a fan of cyberpunk, so I quite naturally wanted to indulge in this post-cyberpunk anthology. I have enjoyed this book very much thus far.
D.J.
Not bad, but it happened that I'd already read more than half the stories in here, so I couldn't really rate it higher on a personal scale.
Ben Albon
Some very strong stories, some not so strong stories.

Worth reading for the gems.
Juozas Šalna
half of the stories were miserable. only a few nuggets. do not recommend.
  • Under the Amoral Bridge (The Bridge Chronicles, #1)
  • Synners
  • Ribofunk
  • Toast
  • Engineering Infinity
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • Mirrorshades: The Cyberpunk Anthology
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
  • The Hard SF Renaissance
  • Vacuum Flowers
  • Federations
  • Eclipse (A Song Called Youth, #1)
  • Cyberabad Days
  • The New Space Opera
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • The Apex Book of World SF
James Patrick Kelly (please, call him Jim) has had an eclectic writing career. He has written novels, short stories, essays, reviews, poetry, plays and planetarium shows. His short novel Burn won the Science Fiction Writers of America's Nebula Award in 2007. He has won the World Science Fiction Society’s Hugo Award twice: in 1996, for his novelette “Think Like A Dinosaur” and in 2000, for his nove ...more
More about James Patrick Kelly...
Feeling Very Strange: The Slipstream Anthology Burn The Secret History of Science Fiction Think Like a Dinosaur and Other Stories Nebula Awards Showcase 2012