Start by marking “The Taoist I Ching” as Want to Read:
The Taoist I Ching

The Taoist I Ching

The I Ching , or "Book of Change," is considered the oldest of the Chinese classics and has throughout history commanded unsurpassed prestige and popularity. Containing several layers of text and given numerous levels of interpretation, it has captured continuous attention for well over two thousand years. It has been considered a book of fundamental principles by philosop ...more
Published June 12th 1986 by Shambhala Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Taoist I Ching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Taoist I Ching

Robert Francisco
Apr 19, 2013 Robert Francisco rated it it was amazing
I have (and do use) many versions of the I Ching, but if I could only have one I would choose this one. The translation is by Thomas Cleary with commentary by the Taoist adept Liu I-ming. Unlike many other translations that seem to focus on external success, prosperity, etc., the emphasis here is on internal cultivation of consciousness.
Peter Zockoll
Oct 17, 2016 Peter Zockoll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that has generated in me an intense amount of interest in spiritual alchemy. It's been a door of sorts that I've been meaning to open for awhile now, and as long as I give my attention to it and the universe of thought that surrounds it, I think it will be the basis for an understanding or interpretation of this human experience that absolutely fascinates me. I've wanted to be a wizard since I was a boy, this book represents the first tangible piece of proof for me that sorcery, alchemy, ...more
John Hartfield
Nov 30, 2016 John Hartfield rated it liked it
An open mind is needed for this and watch magic happen.
James
Apr 03, 2015 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long while to finish this book, but I don't think it was because it was "bad" really. It really gave me perspective I found. Personally, I learned a lot about the way you think and act, which I tried to apply to myself. This book really made me want to step outside of my body and look at myself as someone else, which really made me consider the way I behave and kind of who I was.

It may look like just a bunch of random mumbo-jumbo sentences that don't really tell you anything, but t
Susan
Mar 05, 2016 Susan rated it liked it
I had not thrown the I Ching since my hippy youth, when it was done with friends and read like Tarot cards, a magical oracle of the hidden present and future. This book provides a more detailed, and much more complex portrayal of the ancient texts. I Ching/Book of Changes is not an oracle, but rather a mathematically-based method of providing perspective based on the philosophy of the ever-shifting Yin and Yang in daily life.The I Ching is based on The Taoism of Reality. For about 20 years I ...more
John
Apr 19, 2013 John rated it really liked it
i am normally averse to thomas cleary's translations. this one didnt bother me too much. its an interesting book - a "taoist" interpretation of the i ching, but "taoist" means different things to different people. well set in a yang, fire-oriented tradition. the water method suits me better, so this book is a little off on that score, but i still found it an incredibly interesting read. a good supplementary text for the i ching student.
Eric
Feb 11, 2014 Eric rated it really liked it
This only applies to this particular version of the book. Would give this a different rating but for starters it's very convoluted as far as the introduction goes. Then, as far as how to use the book, the structure is not ideal. So as the reader you're never sure where the text is going or if there's something you missed because the introduction meanders and isn't presented clearly. The actual text (books 1 and 2) is fine and serves its purpose.
Barb
Apr 19, 2013 Barb rated it liked it
Thomas Cleary has a great way with words and is insightful to the movement which the I Ching provides, action or non-action. Knowing changes everything.
Ella
Ella rated it really liked it
Donald Reynolds
Donald Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Siddhraj
Siddhraj rated it did not like it
Mar 23, 2016
Quinns
Quinns rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Db
Db rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
John Mckinney
John Mckinney rated it it was amazing
devin ronaldson
devin ronaldson rated it liked it
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Wahid Nurcahyono
Wahid Nurcahyono rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2016
Stone
Stone rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Zencephalon
Zencephalon rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2016
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Arthur Johnson
Apr 03, 2015 Arthur Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book on Change. However, the commentary and writing are a bit difficult.
Seetharaman
Seetharaman rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Wang
Wang rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2015
Luis
Luis rated it really liked it
Dan Johnson
Dan Johnson rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2014
Cathy Costa
Cathy Costa rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2015
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2016
Kevin Allen
Kevin Allen rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2014
  • Zen & the Beat Way
  • The Shambhala guide to yoga
  • Psychological Commentaries on the Teachings of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky
  • Seven Taoist Masters: A Folk Novel of China
  • Arcana Mundi: Magic and the Occult in the Greek and Roman Worlds: A Collection of Ancient Texts
  • Tarot Plain and Simple
  • Essential Sacred Writings from Around the World: A Thematic Sourcebook on the History of Religions