Start by marking “The Real Deal” as Want to Read:
The Real Deal

The Real Deal

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,123 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Like a classic Spencer Tracy-Katharine Hepburn/Doris Day-Rock Hudson movie--but with plenty of steamy heat--Lucy Monroe's debut novel introduces a pair of delightfully sparring opposites whose undeniable attraction is about to take them beyond the edge of reason. . .and right into the throes of delicious passion. . . Shut Up And Kiss Me

The most important thing in Amanda's
Published June 1st 2005 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Real Deal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Deal

Tammy
I spent the weekend trying to wrap my mind around this one. Then I over-analyzed it until I had one whopper of a throbbing headache. (You'll see below why I had such a hard time with this one.)

Like East, I am still wavering between 3 and 3.5 stars.

Excuse me as I dive right in ...

I like Simon. I can relate to Simon. In fact, my hubby IS a Simon. Whenever Simon got a brilliant idea and then absentmindedly left a conversation or meeting to work on said idea, I would giggle. Do you have any idea h
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Amanda Zachary came to Simon Brant's house to talk the reclusive, scientific genius into agreeing to a merger with her employing company, and ends up falling in love. Divorced for two years, and not desirous of marrying again after her husband destroyed every inch of her belief in herself as a woman, she doesn't expect for Simon Brant to inspire such powerful sexual feelings in her. Although he's absent-minded, prone to going off in his lab when she's in the middle of giving her presentation, he ...more
Eastofoz
Sep 25, 2008 Eastofoz rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Julie (JJ)
Shelves: contemporary
I’m wavering between a 3-3.5 star rating for this one because I didn’t really like it. There’s too much repetition (especially with the hero’s “gunmetal grey eyes"—total overkill with that description) and too many “extremes” –so beautiful, so perfect, so incredible—which gets repeated over and over again as if the author didn’t really know what else to say.

Simon was too weird to be likeable for me. Yes he was supposed to be “different” from other guys because he’s a genius but he’s totally lac
Julianna
Nov 03, 2008 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Contemporary Romance or Lucy Monroe; Readers Looking for an Unusual Hero
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

"4.5 stars" The Real Deal was a sweet, engaging love story that was imbued with a healthy dose of realism, but still managed to stay within the bounds of romantic fantasy that all readers of the genre seem to love. I really enjoyed how Lucy Monroe took two people with low self-esteem, due in part to failed relationships of the past, and helped them to grow and change by finding the perfect mate in each other. Although I don't believe I have previously read any roma
KimKirt
I'd say I'm wavering in between 3 and 3.5 stars. Good romance, hunky hero. Never knew a computer geek could be that hot. Great premise of man being buried in his work and forgetting about the world around him . . . so much so that he lives on an island. My taking away of stars is due to the fact that the way they get together is a little out there. I mean, moving into his house to convince him of a business merger? That kind of insulted my intelligence. The heroine is huge, and I mean HUGE on wo ...more
Katie
This book really surprised me. I had no idea how much I would enjoy it. I have read one or two other Monroe books I think, but this one was really good. I loved the relationship build up and the characters. The quirky Simon was a great character and I actually liked Amanda too. This book has made me want to read more Monroe books.
Carinae L'etoile
An easy read from Lucy Monroe.

This felt like an extended Harlequin Presents/Milla & Boone uncut. Given that Ms. Monroe is a writer for that particular category, it comes as no surprise.

I liked that the happy, perky cover belied an angst ridden tale. Don't be fooled into thinking this would be light hearted chick lit that would gloss over the heroine's emotions. No, this is an in-depth prodding that gets you to understand the Hero and heroine.

It's a good, satisfying read.
Kathy Davie
As it precedes the action involving Jillian in Goddard Project, 2 who is best friends with Amanda in this particular story, I'd have to rate this as a Goddard Project, 1.5.

Sweet, cute romance. Very closely follows the story idea in Emma Holly's Strange Attractions but without the intense, kinky sex. This one involves Amanda's idea of a computer company merger with which Eric agrees but genius-loner Simon is vehemently against.

Lobna Amer

I think I will be unfair to this book... After reading too many books of this genre (I'd prefer to call it the 200-pages-of-sexual-tension-and-nothing-else genre) I think I can close the book at page 25 and tell you exactly how it will all go down (and who will go down on whom, for that matter).

This type of books is too general, too impersonal, too stereotypical, too predictable, definitely too much of all the wrong qualities. Lucy Monroe, Lori Foster, Susan Donovan, all authors who have faile

Cindy
It's a romantic comedy with lots of sexual tension and the occasional sheet melting scene. The hero is a 'you go to the lab and the next time you notice it's Tuesday' genius - the heroine is a businesswomen with an emotionally abusive past. She is sent to talk him into agreeing to a corporate merger he doesn't want. He wants another type of merger entirely. Great characters, good plot, funny, sexy and witty.
Pamela Devereux
Amanda was mentally abused by her husband and not wanted by her family. So she swore off men. She concentrated on her career. She is in Washington state pushing a merger. Only she had no idea she was going to be meeting her match. Simon wanted no part of the merger. It was a family company and he wanted it to stay that way. Then Amanda walks through the door and he is sucker punched. To Simon she is the most beautiful woman he has ever met. Amanda's hormones woke up the minute she saw Simon. It ...more
Laura James
The writing in this book was soooo cheesy... I read the first 50 cringe worthy pages, then started skimming, then just gave up altogether when I realized that I could care less about what happened between the characters.
BAM
Amanda is sent to negotiate a merger with Brant Computers. Simon is a genius ( sort of an absent minded professor )and part owner of Brant Computers. He doesn't want the merger. Amanda has some self esteem issues and Simon is socially awkward. He gets lost in his work and won't surface for days. So she decides to stay with him until she can present him with all the facts and figures. But he's been attracted to her from the moment he saw her. Great story. Loved Simon. Only thing was she used some ...more
Krissys
The Real Deal by Lucy Monroe

The most important thing in Amanda's life is negotiating a successful merger between her company and Brant Computers, a family-held competitor. Company president Eric Brant is on board with the idea, but when Amada arrives in Eric's office, it is his cousin Simon Brant who greets her—and Simon is anything but agreeable. Squaring off against the sexy, brilliant, sexy, obstinate, sexy, eccentric, not to mention sexy Simon is completely frustrating—and a total turn-on.
Tin
Whenever i read a book, i always had a dictionary nearby, just in case i come across a word i am not familiar with. I even installed a dictionary app on both my phone and tablet, for the same purpose. Most of the time, i only had to check a certain word's definition once or twice, and sometimes, not even at all. The Real Deal was a different experience. Insouciance, sangfroid, laconic -- I was stumped at these words. It was the first time i read irascible, another word for irritable (which is mo ...more
Kathy
Maura
Erika
"We may not fit in with the rest of the world, but we belong together."

ONE REALIZTION AFTER READING THE BOOK: I really need to start reading again those books I did not finish in the past just because they didn't entertain after a few pages.

I once gave up on 'The Real Deal' after reading like 10 pages because I thought I wouldn't like the rest of it since the first few pages failed to get me sucked in to the story. But, then I'm thankful that I decided to read it again because it was really quit
L
This book was an enjoyable read...maybe even a 3.5 - fairly quick, some funny bits and a nice love story with slightly unconventional characters. I originally picked it up because it was on a list for a plus size heroine but really she had some curves and maybe 10ish pounds to lose to be "normal" but she wasn't plus. She did have some of the body image hang ups that come with others telling you that you are overweight... not exactly what I had hoped for when I picked it up but still interesting ...more
Cindy
Contemporary romance with protected sex (except once by accident).

This is a cute read. a stand alone. Computer genius falls for the executive trying to plan a merger with his family run company. A LM classic.

The cover is pretty goofy. I hope they've come up with a better one by now.
Charlene
Having enjoyed Lucy Monroe's steamy mercenary trilogy, I tried something different by the same author. Billed like a "Spencer Tracy-Katherine Hepburn/Doris Day-Rock Hudson movie but with plenty of steam" it sounded like an updated version of the old romantic comedies that are many people's guilty pleasures.

Lucy Monroe writes many "billionaire/playboy/sheik and pregnant mistress/secretary" Harlequins that I haven't enjoyed since my teenage romance period many, many years ago. This isn't one of th
Susan
Great book, excellent read. This is my first book by Lucy Monroe and I was delighted with it. Well written and engaging. I actually got it free by answering a survey in her newsletter. I'm definitely going to purchase her new book "Wild Heat".
Hilly
Feb 06, 2013 Hilly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: newcomers to Lucy Monroe
Shelves: would-reread
3 stars.

It was fine, with interesting supporting characters, some of whom will return in Deal With This (Mercenary/Goddard Project, #7) Deal With This (Mercenary/Goddard Project, #7) (Goddard Project, #2) by Lucy Monroe.

Good introduction for newcomers to Lucy Monroe.
electrise
turned me off chick lit for my entire teenhood
Line Pedersen
This book has been on my to-read for some time. Yesterday I was looking through my books on my kindle and I found this, apparently I've read it... I don't remember much about it, that says something I think!?
JD
I really enjoyed this. The character of Simon who is so eccentric and odd because he's genius and he lives in a world of his own. However different he is, he's still a red blooded man that wants a woman of his own. The conflict is the woman is one that is trying to convince him to merge his company with the one she works for. All in all, it's a great book and you really root for the characters.
Lindsey
Oct 29, 2008 Lindsey rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I have never in my entire life NOT finished a book.... until this one. It was just awful. This was a while ago, and luckily I don't remember much of it, but for me to not finish a book, it means it is BAD. I read the first couple chapters, TRIED to give it a chance, and it just got worse. It just became too hard to force myself to continue reading. Definitely not a fan.
Kristi
Good book, but the Kindle edition (as of 1/19/11) is missing paragraphs if not more. Suddenly, the scene will shift to something new and it's obvious that the transitional text is not there. Very frustrating. I returned for a refund, and may re-buy if they get the problem fixed.
Tressa
The Real Deal was a product of when it was written. I don't think it has held up well. Also, I didn't care about the characters and I didn't think the story had a lot of depth. I stopped reading the book.
~Leslie~
Cute, easy to read contemporary romance. Not my favorite, but not bad. The male lead was interesting-genius, antisocial but yearning. There were some unrealistic parts to the story but they were easily overlooked.
Celebrating A New Harlequin Showcase Release For Lucy Monroe 1 6 May 11, 2010 07:51AM
Cyber Launch Party Today For Lucy Monroe's MOON CRAVING 1 3 Feb 05, 2010 06:32AM
  • Star Quality
  • Houston, We Have A Problem
  • Love To Love You Baby
  • Baby, Oh Baby!
  • Spanish Magnate, Red-Hot Revenge
  • A Baby For Emily (Silhouette Special Edition #1466)
  • Going Overboard (SEAL and Code Name, #2)
  • A Whole Lot of Love
  • Just For Kicks (Showgirls #2)
  • I Got You, Babe (The DeMarco Family, #1)
  • The Wilde Side (Wilde Series, #2)
  • Beach Blanket Bad Boys
  • Maybe Baby
  • First Comes Love (Hot Water, California #1)
  • Wanting What You Get (Stepp Sisters Trilogy, #2)
Award winning author Lucy Monroe had her first book published in September 2003. Since then she has sold more than 50 books to four publishers and hit national bestsellers lists in the US and England. She writes sexy category romance for Harlequin Presents including her own ongoing mini-series, The Royal Brides. If you prefer a longer book, but want to keep it steamy, try her Mercenary trilogy or ...more
More about Lucy Monroe...
Moon Awakening (Children of the Moon, #1) Ready The Billionaire's Pregnant Mistress (Petronides Brothers Duo #1; Greek Tycoons #4) Moon Craving (Children of the Moon, #2) Willing

“I know what it feels like not to fit in, but trying to be like everyone around you doesn't work.” 4 likes
“Feel that? I don't walk around with a lead pipe in my jeans, so what do you think that tells you about how much I want you. (Simon Brant)” 3 likes