Sir Nigel

Sir Nigel

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Sir Nigel is a historical novel set during the Hundred Years' War, by the British author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Written in 1906, it is a fore-runner to Doyle's earlier novel The White Company, and describes the early life of that book's hero Sir Nigel Loring in the service of King Edward III at the start of the Hundred Years' War.
Published December 27th 2008 by Project Gutenberg (first published January 1st 1906)

To ask other readers questions about Sir Nigel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sir Nigel

Zubair Habib
This is really a book for kids. It reminded me a bit of "The Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay. A young lad sets out to gain fame and honor.

I bought it at a second hand bookstore on account of the good looking cover, one the inside was a note, it was awarded to a kid in Grade 3... in 1932!!!

That should have been the hint to me that it was targeted at a younger audience, but the vintage cover, prestigious author name hooked me.
Bill
This is a prequel to Doyle's 1891 work, The White Company, which I had enjoyed previously. Sir Nigel tells of his life before he lead the White Company in battle, when he was a stripling squire trying to obtain honours for his lady love. Set in the 1300's, Doyle has portrayed a grim era, but one that also demonstrated honour among knights. Unfortunately, if you weren't of that class, life seems to have been grim and depressing indeed. War criss - crossed France and peasants starved, land was des...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in March 1998.

Of all Arthur Conan Doyle's works, this one has perhaps aged least well. It's set in the Middle Ages, or, rather, it's set in a world imitating that of Scott's Ivanhoe. It seems today very in-authentic, particularly in the speech and descriptions.

Sir Nigel is the story of a young man, Nigel Loring, of noble birth but reduced circumstances, who sets out to win renown equal to his ancestors' and to do three deeds worthy of his lady love. He travel...more
Bev Hankins
Set in the middle of the 14th century, Sir Nigel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, is what these days is known as a prequel to The White Company. Written fifteen years later, it tells the story of how Nigel Loring, the near-destitute squire of the Manor of Tilford, went off to seek his fortune and win the hand of his lady-love in the early years of the Hundred Years War. Nigel leaves home a squire and returns home as an honorable knight through many brave adventures on the battlefield and abroad. Nigel...more
David
Chivalrous deeds

Much chivalry may be found herein and the doing of both great villainy and winning of honor. It is a hard boiled world where young Nigel Loring wins his spurs and his lady fair.
Dan
"...and they sang as they slew..." part 2.

I still find it somewhat disconcerting - juxtaposition of "the flower of European chivalry" against carnage and brutal disregard of human life. I suppose that back in the time of the Crusades, that aspect of life was more fact than fiction. My hope is that Doyle is not necessarily trying to paint an entirely sympathetic picture of the principal characters and their ways, but instead just reveling in the tale-telling. And at that, he is a master; as Sir N...more
Rebecca
Content wise this book had an interesting plot and larger than life characters. It is set in the fourteenth century and is about Knights and squires and bowmen and such and so there is a lot of fighting and lots of battles and action. Doyle has a keen sense of humor which lightens the story. It is well researched. I did a small refresher course for myself in English history which helped, but wasn't necessary.

As far as mechanics go this book is well written and I have no complaints.

As far as sq...more
Elin
I really enjoyed reading this book. It's sheer boy's own escapism with an ironical twist - in that one knows that what the heros get up to is pretty reprehensible by modern, or even Conan Doyle's, standards but at the time was considered to be utterly heroic.

There are some solid characters and amusing episodes amidst the heroics to give a change of pace.

I'm reviewing the large print version purely so I can poke fun at the ridiculous cover. What WERE the publishers thinking?
Alan
An entertaining romance set during the Hundred Years War.
Maurice Halton
Really a book for young boys, its well worth reading regardless of age and gender, simply to enjoy Conan Doyle's finely crafted narrative. Its about a young English squire in search of valour, glory and a knighthood in France during the hundred years war.
Keeley
Nov 15, 2008 Keeley rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventure novel buffs
Recommended to Keeley by: parents
Amusing adventure. After reading the Napoleonic Stories, however, I find it too easy to spot Conan Doyle subtly mocking his heroes. I'll have to reread the White Company and see if I find it as unalloyed an enjoyment as the first time around.
William J. Shep
Very good story about an English knight in the Hundred Year's War in France. An example of Conan Doyle writing something NOT related to Sherlock Holmes.
Colleen Kimball
Doyle sure knows how to have a good time. He teaches us a thing or two about how to have fun and to laugh in the face of death and destruction.
Ross
A forgotten classic, Brings out the joys of combat and war when it was an endeavor that was honorable and worthy of man's pursuit
Dave Rench
An Excellent book about the valiant acts of a young man, to win the heart of the girl he loves back home. Set in the knightly era.
Ange
First book I read on the cruise. This is story before the White Company. It's everything you want to read in a romance.
Julia
Now I understand why people say the things they do about his historical novels. What a slog!
Ting
An awesome read!! A must for anybody who only knows Conan Doyle from the Sherlock Holmes stories.
Jacqueline
A perfect book for a twelve year old boy who wants to read about medieval chivalry and battles.
Ben Stutzman
This is hard to find, but worth it.
Arlies
Arlies marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Oswin Holmes
Oswin Holmes marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Natalia Elias
Natalia Elias marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Daniel Ligon
Daniel Ligon is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2014
  • The Talisman
  • Men of Iron
  •   Eric Brighteyes
  • Winning His Spurs: A Tale of the Crusades
  • The Mutiny on the Bounty Trilogy
  • Sherlock in Love: A Novel
  • Anna of the Five Towns
  • The Island of Sheep (Richard Hannay #5)
  • The Unabridged Mark Twain
  • Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays (Everyman's Library)
  • Beau Geste
  • Around the World in Eighty Days & Five Weeks in a Balloon
  • Rupert of Hentzau
  • The Return of Dr. Fu-Manchu
  • Classic Victorian & Edwardian Ghost Stories
  • The Fantasy Worlds of Peter Beagle
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record...more
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...
A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) The Complete Sherlock Holmes The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II

“The Frenchman sat up with that strange energy which comes often as the harbinger of death. "(...) This I tell you - I, Raoul de la Roche Pierre de Bras, dying upon the field of honour. And now kiss me, sweet friend, and lay me back, for the mists closes round me and I am gone!"
With tender hands the squire [Nigel] lowered his comrade's head, but even as he did so there came a choking rush of blood, and the soul had passed. So died a gallant cavalier of France, and Nigel, as he knelt in the ditch beside him, prayed that his own end might be as noble and as debonair.”
3 likes
“The fantastic graces of Chivalry lay upon the surface of life,but beneath it was a half-savage population,fierce and animal,with little ruth or mercy.” 3 likes