Start by marking “How to Teach English” as Want to Read:
How to Teach English

How to Teach English (How to Teach...)

This is an introduction to the teaching of English. Its emphasis is on practical issues and it is appropriate for self-study and for use with classes of trainee teachers. The early chapters address such issues as How can we be good teachers?, What makes a good learner? and how can teachers make classes better?. The book suggests a way of looking at a variety of teaching me ...more
Published July 25th 2003 by Longman Publishing Group (first published January 1997)

James
Jan 05, 2016 James rated it it was ok
Total snooze fest: overly broad topic that barely scratches the surface; writing style lacks any character, so it feels like you're reading an endless number of Wikipedia entries; assumes students are all highly to fairly motivated go-getters.

My first reading many years ago, I gave it 3. Upon rereading, I'm giving it a generous 2.

Read and study only if you've never set foot in an EFL classroom or you just don't know what the hell you're doing.

Danilo
Jun 12, 2012 Danilo rated it it was amazing
If you want to become an English teacher, this book is a must-read book indeed!
Linda
Jul 29, 2011 Linda rated it liked it
Well written but short introduction to the field of English language teaching. I was glad I read this book, but after reading LEARING TEACHING by Jim Scrivener, this didn't add much informtation. The one section that was outstanding however, was the chapter on how to describe language. Harmer manages to cover the basic points of English grammar in a very concise way. Since understanding and explaining grammar is a challenging part of teaching ESL, this chapter alone is worth the price of the boo ...more
Phoenix
Feb 23, 2015 Phoenix rated it it was amazing
Necessarily tedious. Great information and relatively easy to read. A good read and useful read, but not exactly a fun ride (just because I see the merit doesn't mean I didn't want to pull my hair out for large chunks of this).

Would recommend for prospective ESL/TEFL/etc teachers and no one else (omg, you'd be bored to tears, why would you do that to yourself?)

I'm glad I read it. I'm also glad it's over.
liza h
Apr 17, 2007 liza h rated it did not like it
bo-ring..,,
Csaba Berger
An excellent guide to everyone who is new in the field of English language teaching. It gives you a glimpes of all the areas and the amount of examples and appendices help you develop. I am positive I will use this book whenever I want to check something or look for additional resources because there is a long list of works to be consulted categorised into the theme of each chapter.
Samar Almossa
I will add it later on
Abeer Mohamad
Mar 07, 2015 Abeer Mohamad rated it it was amazing
Unless as a reader needs more Practical Explanations, it indulges the reader into the mood of teaching .
It's Excellent (y)
Narmin Hajizadeh
One teacher cannot apply all of this in the classroom: her brain may explode! Though it was okay for me to read all the instructions and guides in this book and its language was quite understandable, but how I felt when I wanted to apply them on practice! I was totally mixed, my students were totally mixed with the weird attitude of their teacher — class was stupefied.

My conclusion: teaching is probably the inborn quality. No matter how much you will be reading about correct teaching, it will n
Nightfalltwen
Jan 27, 2008 Nightfalltwen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tesol/tefl teachers
Shelves: non-fiction
I've just taken a TESOL/TEFL class through Oxford Seminars and this was the text that the class used. I found the dvd addition to be very helpful because you had a chance to see real ESL teachers put into practice the what the book has talked about, plus you got to hear their opinion on teaching methods.

Three stars only because it was a textbook and not that of an enjoyable read, but I would recommend it for people who are looking to teach English overseas.
Miranda
Aug 02, 2013 Miranda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After teaching English as a Second Language for the past four years, I thought it was high time to read about all of the things I was doing wrong. I really appreciated Harmer's voice and knowledge of language learning. I have a more well-rounded understanding of language teaching with plenty more ideas to work with now. This was a wonderful book to read.
Asma
Aug 13, 2013 Asma rated it liked it
Shelves: esl
Every once in a while I have to read an ESL-related book to brush on my teaching skills and this one was a well-written full of ideas for in class activities. I liked it!
It would've been better if the task-sheets came with the answer keys cause the way it's put I ended up skimming through them (or maybe that was entirely my fault).
Dec 19, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers of English to non native speakers
Shelves: non-fiction, textbook
Learned some grammar and techniques for teaching English to non native speakers. Teaching writing, speaking, listening and reading were highlighted as well as lesson planning, dealing with difficult students, etc. Very informative, easy to read, well laid out presentation. Included task questions to answer in the back after each chapter.
Sulaiman
Apr 17, 2012 Sulaiman rated it liked it
This book is a shorter version of Jeremy Harmer's The Practice of English Language Teaching. It's okay as a strart and for the busy teachers to refresh their memory of the basics of teaching English language.
Beth
I read this for two of my TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) classes this semester. It had a lot of useful information that will be handy to refer to in my teaching career.
♍
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The language of this version is a little more complicated than the previous one , but yet it is useful and suitable for getting ready to teach English .
Julie
Jun 29, 2016 Julie rated it it was amazing
Valuable text for a good clear basis of English language learning
Vale Mar
اتل
Ryan
Jan 11, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
Pretty good resource for the beginning teacher. Didn't really cover anything that wasn't also covered in the class I was reading this for, but a well-written introduction to the discipline.
Nicholas Powell
Mar 25, 2016 Nicholas Powell rated it liked it
At best, somewhat useful.
yengyeng
Not my favourite Harmer.
Ehsan Mikaeili
Jun 11, 2014 Ehsan Mikaeili rated it it was amazing
The basic and comprehensive book for those who are interested in teaching English as a second Language.
Elize
Very basic summary of all the most important things to know when teaching English. There are some helpful tasks, but the glossary is a bit too simple. Very useful book for CELTA students.
Hiba
Apr 28, 2015 Hiba marked it as to-read
h
Anggrean Rara
Anggrean Rara rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2013
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2015
Ali
Ali rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Please seperate... 3 149 Sep 20, 2012 12:26PM
  • Learning Teaching (Macmillan Books for Teachers)
  • How to Teach Grammar
  • On Course: A Week-By-Week Guide to Your First Semester of College Teaching
  • How to Teach Pronunciation
  • A Course in Language Teaching: Practice andTheory
  • How Languages are Learned
  • Learning to Listen, Learning to Teach: The Power of Dialogue in Educating Adults
  • Common Errors in English Usage
  • English Idioms in Use Intermediate
  • E-Learning by Design
  • Learning Theories: An Educational Perspective
  • T.E.T., Teacher Effectiveness Training

How to Teach... (9 books)
  • How to Teach Grammar