Start by marking “How to Teach English” as Want to Read:
How to Teach English

How to Teach English (How to Teach...)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  301 ratings  ·  24 reviews
This is an introduction to the teaching of English. Its emphasis is on practical issues and it is appropriate for self-study and for use with classes of trainee teachers. The early chapters address such issues as How can we be good teachers?, What makes a good learner? and how can teachers make classes better?. The book suggests a way of looking at a variety of teaching me ...more
Published July 25th 2003 by Longman Publishing Group (first published January 1997)

Joecolelife
I've taught English in Taiwan, Korea, and China. I also run a website that provides teacher training and resources for ESL teachers. There is something in this book that will help you whether you're just starting or have already been teaching for a while.

I came upon this book (w/out the DVD) seven years after I had started teaching. And I got something out of it. Most of those years were spent teaching English primarily to kids in Asia. This book says it focuses mainly on teaching adults, howev
Danilo
If you want to become an English teacher, this book is a must-read book indeed!
liza h
bo-ring..,,
Linda
Well written but short introduction to the field of English language teaching. I was glad I read this book, but after reading LEARING TEACHING by Jim Scrivener, this didn't add much informtation. The one section that was outstanding however, was the chapter on how to describe language. Harmer manages to cover the basic points of English grammar in a very concise way. Since understanding and explaining grammar is a challenging part of teaching ESL, this chapter alone is worth the price of the boo ...more
Nightfalltwen
Jan 27, 2008 Nightfalltwen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tesol/tefl teachers
Shelves: non-fiction
I've just taken a TESOL/TEFL class through Oxford Seminars and this was the text that the class used. I found the dvd addition to be very helpful because you had a chance to see real ESL teachers put into practice the what the book has talked about, plus you got to hear their opinion on teaching methods.

Three stars only because it was a textbook and not that of an enjoyable read, but I would recommend it for people who are looking to teach English overseas.
Csaba Berger
An excellent guide to everyone who is new in the field of English language teaching. It gives you a glimpes of all the areas and the amount of examples and appendices help you develop. I am positive I will use this book whenever I want to check something or look for additional resources because there is a long list of works to be consulted categorised into the theme of each chapter.
Samar Almossa
I will add it later on
Elize
Very basic summary of all the most important things to know when teaching English. There are some helpful tasks, but the glossary is a bit too simple. Very useful book for CELTA students.
Abeer Mohamad
Unless as a reader needs more Practical Explanations, it indulges the reader into the mood of teaching .
It's Excellent (y)
Ehsan Mikaeili
The basic and comprehensive book for those who are interested in teaching English as a second Language.
Sabri Thabet
It is really a very good book.
Gege
Nana
Mar 08, 2015 Nana added it
is good
Miranda
After teaching English as a Second Language for the past four years, I thought it was high time to read about all of the things I was doing wrong. I really appreciated Harmer's voice and knowledge of language learning. I have a more well-rounded understanding of language teaching with plenty more ideas to work with now. This was a wonderful book to read.
Asma
Aug 05, 2014 Asma rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: esl
Every once in a while I have to read an ESL-related book to brush on my teaching skills and this one was a well-written full of ideas for in class activities. I liked it!
It would've been better if the task-sheets came with the answer keys cause the way it's put I ended up skimming through them (or maybe that was entirely my fault).
Dec 19, 2011 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers of English to non native speakers
Shelves: non-fiction, textbook
Learned some grammar and techniques for teaching English to non native speakers. Teaching writing, speaking, listening and reading were highlighted as well as lesson planning, dealing with difficult students, etc. Very informative, easy to read, well laid out presentation. Included task questions to answer in the back after each chapter.
Sulaiman
This book is a shorter version of Jeremy Harmer's The Practice of English Language Teaching. It's okay as a strart and for the busy teachers to refresh their memory of the basics of teaching English language.
Beth
I read this for two of my TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) classes this semester. It had a lot of useful information that will be handy to refer to in my teaching career.
Ryan
Pretty good resource for the beginning teacher. Didn't really cover anything that wasn't also covered in the class I was reading this for, but a well-written introduction to the discipline.
IvIásoo
The language of this version is a little more complicated than the previous one , but yet it is useful and suitable for getting ready to teach English .
Soma200
I will get more benefit
yengyeng
Not my favourite Harmer.
ilke
ilke is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2015
Mustafa
Mustafa marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Please seperate... 3 149 Sep 20, 2012 12:26PM
  • Learning Teaching (Macmillan Books for Teachers)
  • How to Teach Grammar
  • E-Learning by Design
  • Pragmatics
  • Common Mistakes in English
  • Leading and Managing a Differentiated Classroom
  • American Accent Training: A Guide to Speaking and Pronouncing American English for Anyone Who Speaks English as a Second Language (Book and CD)
  • Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching
  • Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching (Cambridge Language Teaching Library)
  • An Introduction to Sociolinguistics
  • The Translation Studies Reader
  • Writing English Language Tests (Longman Handbooks for Language Teachers)
  • Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy
  • T.E.T., Teacher Effectiveness Training

How to Teach... (9 books)
  • How to Teach Grammar
  • How to Teach Vocabulary
  • How to Teach Listening
  • How to Teach Speaking
  • How to Teach Writing
  • How to Teach Pronunciation
  • How to Teach Business English
  • How to Teach English with Technology
The Practice of English Language Teaching How to Teach Writing Trumpet Voluntary Book and Audio CD Pack: Level 6 Advanced (Cambridge English Readers) Teaching and Learning Grammar Essential Teacher Knowledge: Core Concepts in English Language Teaching [With DVD]