Start by marking “Coming Home (Heartland, #1)” as Want to Read:
Coming Home (Heartland, #1)

Coming Home (Heartland #1)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  4,519 ratings  ·  266 reviews
Good: A copy that has been read, but remains in clean condition. All pages are intact, and the cover is intact (including dust cover, if applicable). The spine may show signs of wear. Pages can include limited notes and highlighting, and the copy can include "From the library of" labels.Some of our books may have slightly worn corners, and minor creases to the covers. Plea ...more
Published September 15th 2000 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Coming Home, please sign up.

Kait bowen I absolutely love the show heartland. I started off reading these books and the one I read about Gallant Prince was the very first when I read it was…moreI absolutely love the show heartland. I started off reading these books and the one I read about Gallant Prince was the very first when I read it was so good I basically cryed...People kept telling me there was a show but I just ignored them But when I start to watch it I fell in love!:)(less)

I read this book for the first time when I was around 9 or 10 I think. I remember the book vividly though because I loved it so much. I don't think now 10 or 11 years after that I would enjoy it and think it is that amazing, simply because I am just that much older now, but the book together with the others in the series just has had a serious impact on my life. Ever since I started horseback riding at the age of 10 I have aimed to use the same methods as Amy does. I still ride today and I have ...more
Read this entire series as a kid. Loved them all. Plan to reread this year!
Nov 25, 2011 Stephen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse girls who want a series
I recently encountered the television series and was curious about the book series that spawned it. The TV series in some ways improves on the books. Both are wholesome and good family fare.

For decades I've accepted the stereotype that adolescent girls are attracted to horses because they're big and powerful and somewhat threatening but with care and training they can be loving beasts... unlike the other beasts that fascinate girls of that age, teenaged boys. I feel that this book doesn't cater
#1 Heartland, Coming Home
Posted on December 14, 2010 by kayleighc18111680
Book Review: Heartland

By: Lauren Brooke

Book Reviewed by: Kayleigh C

“Do you wish that a frightened or abused horse can learn to trust again? Do you wish that a horse’s scars of the past can be healed again?” If you do, heartland is the perfect stable for you. Where you will meet a special person in Heartland- Marion. She can teach you in Heartland. She uses special methods- love.

The story begins when Amy, the daughter of Mar
Darth Olive
Found this and the next two in the series in my closet (I must have got them when I was a kid; I vaguely remember reading the first two) and decided to give it a read through before I sold it at the used bookstore.

Verdict: well-researched, badly written. The horse-related info is good--it's very nice to see Monty Roberts' techniques used and acknowledged. For that reason alone I might have liked this book if everything else hadn't been awful. The only other thing that interested me, Amy's relat
Alyssa Adamczyk
Coming Home is the first book to the Heartland novels series, written by Lauren Brooke. A 14 year old girl named Amy has a huge passion for horses. With her mother’s help, she is learning skills on how to take more care of horses and how to “horse whisper” while also giving her attention to the other farm animals at Heartland, a sanctuary for horse that have been exposed to emotional and physical harm. But when her mother is killed in a terrible trailer accident, Amy has to grow up quickly, and ...more
Feb 16, 2009 Shaya rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse girls who want a better series
This is my review for the entire series. I generally stay away from horse girl series and formulated paperbacks but this was an exception. I read through the series, in middle school starting with the 8th. Reading them in order is not particularly important because there's enough background given in any book. The series is about Amy, whose Mother dies in a car crash. Her mother started a horse farm called Heartland that rehabilitates horses physically and mentally. Amy decides to keep the farm r ...more
I read the majority of this series when I was in elementary school. I can't speak to the writing, as I don't remember it too vividly. What I will say is that the books resonated with 10 year old me because they were about a girl who was dedicated to horses, even the ones nobody else believed in. Amy isn't rich; she doesn't have all the nicest riding clothes and she doesn't go to shows every weekend. I was the same way; I took lessons at a stable with girls who had it all and took great comfort r ...more
Haley  *on the cold winds of night you will find me*
I read one of the Heartland books in third grade, but never finished it. It wasn't that great. I don't really remember it, so I can't write a full, more detailed review. I just remember not really enjoying it.
Kaley Ridge
I lost my dad when I was 11 years old. I struggled a lot with it especially throughout the first year. I had an English teacher when I was 12 years old who saw this sadness/wreck inside of me. She got me to open up and talk to her about it and she handed me this book. Told me she thought I would enjoy it. I had never been much into reading but I gave it a try. This book/series started to refill me after being empty for so long with the first book starting off with Amy Fleming losing her mother ( ...more
I loved this book. I discovered It through my uncle who gave me the whole collection of Heartland series. I loved Amy and how close her relationships with the horses were. when her mum died I liked how it showed Amy as being a strong independent young girl and her sister Lou I felt gave Amy the chance to grow. Grandpa I loved dearly and felt such a strong connection, he was the life and soul of heartland and it was clear; Ty I knew was going to pay a crucial role in the series as he took on most ...more
Sep 23, 2015 Hannah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horse lovers and anyone looking for good YA drama
I first discovered this book (and the first two sequels) through a book order at school when I was 11. This was at the height of my horse obsession, when I was certain I was going to be the next Monty Roberts when I grew up. About half a chapter into Coming Home I knew I was going to love the book, and I was right. I got my mom to start reading the series and she loved it too. I also loved the second and third books, and bought each of the next books as soon as they came out. This was by far my ...more
I loved this book! I started watching the TV show and I figured I should read the books. It is about a girl who is trying to manage her mom's horse ranch after her mom died. It is a fun and dramatic book to read.
Heartland, Coming home is a fiction book. This books purpose was for entertainment. The author of this book (Lauren Brooke) did an okay job of achieving her purpose. I have watched all of the Heartland series on TV, I feel like the shows are more entertaining than the books. The stories are somewhat different in the book than what they are in the show. But I also feel like I get something different from the book than I did the show. So I decided to do both. The only weakness that I have with the ...more
To me this book is very interesting and i like this book alot! The book has a lot of excitement. When i read this book i wanted to keep reading because it makes you want to keep reading more and more. It does this because they keep excitement in it and when you are reading there is never a boring part in this book the author keeps you hooked in. This book has to be one of my favorite books.
So, I might be a little obsessed with the Canadian TV show based on this series, so of course I had to give the books a try as well. There are definitely a few differences so far, but the show has the same heart as the books do, for sure. I enjoyed it, and I'll probably read more of these at some point.
I read about four books out of this series when I was a kid. Recently I've started watching the TV show and it is a much more fleshed-out, complex story than the books.
They are definitely good from anyone grades 4 or 5 and up. They're easy reads and very interesting for anyone who loves horses. I find them well-researched, from T-Touch to herbal remedies to the process of join-up.
The characters could be a bit more complex and the actual books could be a bit longer, providing more room for chara
Rhoda  Crowell
I am one of those girls who grew up loving horses but the first of this series came out in June of 2000, well after my childhood years. I found this well-loved book among our shelves and couldn't resist finally having a chance to read it. I immediately appreciated the technical knowledge of horse-training used in the story. Amy's mom uses horse behavioral techniques I've seen Monty Roberts, a real horse whisperer, using at horse show demonstrations. It gave the book a authentic feel that fellow ...more
This book was great. I can relate to amy a lot. I have a hose name ranger and his past was terrible. We had to grt red of him to a place where he could run free. Amy losses her mother in a car reck and she can't let go.
I am the biggest fan of the TV show (Heartland) that is based off these books! I truly grew up with Amy Fleming in a way! It's a wonderful family show that I recommend to everyone! We all just need a sweet humble grandfather like Jack Bartlett and a horse farm to call home. :)

Now on to the books...

They are very similar to the TV show (at least the first book). The only major differences is the character of Ty and how he came to work at Heartland, which I think the TV show did a better job of wr
Nov 29, 2012 Juliana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, specifically horse loving teens
A GREAT book. really emotional and inspiring. as a horse enthusiast and equestrian i would recommend this book to ANYONE, i enjoyed it cover to cover.
I love heartland both the tv series and the books. they are totally different but still amaze me. Heartland forever!!!
Love the series!
I got this first book in the HEARTLAND series after getting hooked on the TV show on Netflix. I was very happy with the story and writing style in this first book. I have a couple of very young granddaughters whom I believe will eventually become hooked on reading these books. I definitely want to encourage reading, and I believe these books will be winners for them.

Book one introduces the characters living on the Heartland horse farm for sick, injured, and emotionally needy horses. The mom, Mar
May 31, 2013 Marie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marie by: Minerva
So, first off I am reading these books because a friend recommended them and I am rather fond of the TV show. So I'm going to review this books in two parts, first for potential readers (or parents of)in the actual age group it's intended for and then as an adult reading this series.

In this book we focus on Amy, who lives on a horse farm and cares very deeply about her four legged friends. Then, her mother dies in an accident, which is one of the major occurrences in this book. This book deals a
Coming Home is a short book that begins the ever famous Heartland series. It is a good begining and it does lure readers, whether they like horses or not. It really is for 9-12 year olds, although there are very sad parts, for example, when Amys mom dies or when she is in the accident. Although I think those parts are the climax of the book, I dont think I am spoiling it for anybody.
I gave it four stars because although I did adore it in my incredibly horsey stage, I have read more books and fo
I love this book! I can't wait to go get the others at the library! I have the first one but buying 24 others would cost to much! Haha don't worry they are shorter books! I would recommend this to anyone who loves horses like me! I found out about the tv series then a little later I found out they had books when I found the first one on our shelve! It's an amazing book I couldn't put down! That why I read it in 2 days but I probably could have finished it in one If I had time!
Katelyn Shear
You read strange things when you're bored and your library's YA section is about as big as your personal library.
This book ... talked to me as if I were a young child. It's marked as YA, but I believe they confused that with Juvenile. Maybe they consider 10 year olds young adults? I'm not sure.
But this book's writing style wasn't the best. I wanted to enjoy it, but I really didn't. I guess that's what I get for rushing to find more than one book to read.
This series is about a young girl living on her mother's natural remedies horse hospital farm (confusing, sorry), and the problems and adventures that arise out of that.

This series is what officially stuck the "I want to be a large animal veterinarian" idea into my head, where it stayed until about senior year (I know I want to go into medicine, but now I'm not sure what kind of doctor I'll be). That's what made it so important to me.
Heartland 12 44 Apr 06, 2013 01:49PM
  • The Wild One (Phantom Stallion, #1)
  • A Horse Called Wonder (Thoroughbred, #1)
  • Take the Reins (Canterwood Crest, #1)
  • Sundancer
  • Shadow Horse
  • Horse Crazy (Saddle Club, #1)
  • Chicken Soup For The Horse Lover's Soul: Inspirational Stories About Horses and the People Who Love Them (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
Lauren Brooke grew up in a ranch in Virginia and now lives in Leicestershire, England. Her husband is a veterinarian who specializes in horses. Her books have been published by Scholastic since Mid-2000, starting with the first book of the Heartland book series. The first book of her popular Chestnut Hill series was published in 2005.

According to an interview on scholastics' website, Lauren Brooke
More about Lauren Brooke...

Heartland (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • After the Storm (Heartland, #2)
  • Breaking Free (Heartland, #3)
  • Taking Chances (Heartland, #4)
  • Come What May (Heartland, #5)
  • One Day You'll Know (Heartland, #6)
  • Out of the Darkness (Heartland, #7)
  • Thicker Than Water (Heartland, #8)
  • Every New Day (Heartland, #9)
  • Tomorrow's Promise (Heartland, #10)
  • True Enough (Heartland, #11)
After the Storm (Heartland, #2) Breaking Free (Heartland, #3) Taking Chances (Heartland, #4) Come What May (Heartland, #5) One Day You'll Know (Heartland, #6)